REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Okanagan Automotive Chat > Okanagan Off-Topic

Okanagan Off-Topic Whatever ya wanna talk about
Talk about anything unrelated to automotive discussion.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #12676
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by eviljeenyus
your CRAZY starting at 445am !!!!!!
but I get off at 1:15 and that's what makes it worth it. I still have the rest of the day to go to the gym and do whatever else needs to be done
Advertisement
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #12677
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally posted by fourtirefire

For a fram filter,
danny. wtf. OE shizz. ill ask about hookups on monday, or i may just buy a case of filters for us all

Quote:
Originally posted by down_hill_dog
Looking back at my invoices, with my company discount for castrol GTX 10w30, Lucas oil stabilizer and an OEM Honda filter it's a buck or two shy of $40. Lucas is $8 and I only have to buy one bottle for 2 oilchanges.
for my changes prior to new jobskie, i paid very close to $50 for honda filter and amsoil. but honda carries royal purple, so i may switch to that cuz itll be alot cheaper

Last edited by jeffh; 03-11-2006 at 06:13 PM.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #12678
Larger Than Life Mod

Woohoo! 19" Monitor with 4 year warranty and Canon Photo Printer for $150 , plus I got an old computer out of the deal that still has warranty on it .

I'm not a biker, I'm a Crotch Rocketeer
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #12679
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Looking back at my invoices, with my company discount for castrol GTX 10w30, Lucas oil stabilizer and an OEM Honda filter it's a buck or two shy of $40. Lucas is $8 and I only have to buy one bottle for 2 oilchanges.
must be nice, costs me about 50-60 per oil change, but then again i pay just about 15-19$ for a cartrage style filter. but the up side is i can change my filter more often then i change my oil!
bmwwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #12680
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bmwwheelman
must be nice, costs me about 50-60 per oil change, but then again i pay just about 15-19$ for a cartrage style filter. but the up side is i can change my filter more often then i change my oil!
BMW recommends oil changes every 10,000kms when running bimmer fluids. not sure how i feel about that.

running 8L of synthetic oil gets a tad pricey tho.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #12681

Quote:
Originally posted by DA_TEG
BMW recommends oil changes every 10,000kms when running bimmer fluids. not sure how i feel about that.

running 8L of synthetic oil gets a tad pricey tho.
10000? holy, i've been doing mine every 6-7000 maybe i'll stick to changing my filter every 5000
Old 03-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #12682
OK Head Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffh
danny. wtf. OE shizz. ill ask about hookups on monday, or i may just buy a case of filters for us all

jeff.. it's no race car.. i don't care what filter i put on it.. it's just a honda.
fourtirefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #12683

ya i dont know how much i like that idea. im still going with every 6-7k aswell.

one things i can say tho, even with the relatively high Kms on my car, from what i can see thru the oil cap with a flashlight, my head is CLEAN. ill get a better idea when i do my valve cover gaskets in the next little bit. and the car has had all maintenance up untill i bought it done thru bimmer, including oil changes at the designated times.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #12684
TC-13*

Quote:
On a side note, my mothers Protege5 is suggested to have it changed every 8000 km... So i'm not sure.
I had to change my oil every 8,000 km to keep in the good books of Toyota warranty...but it is still recommended that you do it every 5k. 8k is just the absolute maximum in order to keep your warranty valid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_TEG View Post
fat chicks dont have feelings.
RedCeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #12685
Banned for being an idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by fourtirefire
jeff.. it's no race car.. i don't care what filter i put on it.. it's just a honda.
It may be "just" a Honda Danny, but personally I really don't like it when those gay square cut Fram or similar gaskets burn to the block. Or when the gaskets break... Or for the fact that 90% of Filter makers use paper in their filters.

The Honda filters have a better filtration rating than most, are'nt made of paper inside, have a rounded gasket that is fused to the filter, and are smaller with different passages promoting better oil pressure. A Fram once failed on me and dumped 4 litres of oil all over my cement. I don't mind buying a better filter each time.

Last edited by down_hill_dog; 03-12-2006 at 09:02 AM.
down_hill_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #12686

but craig theres almost a 3$ difference!!!!
seriously when iyt comes to maintenance i dont fuck around, because we ask our cars to put up with ALOT of abuse. myself especially, so i go for broke on the top of the line oil and the best filters i can get. which prove to be OE honda. ive seen tonns of links but really im way to lazy to go find them. i jsut now that i ask my car to rev to 8600 rpm daily. and the oil and filter combo i use, keeps me not smoking and keeps my internals looking dandy. this isnt some shitty talon that burns so much oil youd go under if you put real oil into it
Old 03-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #12687

Quote:
Originally posted by DA_TEG
ya i dont know how much i like that idea. im still going with every 6-7k aswell.

one things i can say tho, even with the relatively high Kms on my car, from what i can see thru the oil cap with a flashlight, my head is CLEAN. ill get a better idea when i do my valve cover gaskets in the next little bit. and the car has had all maintenance up untill i bought it done thru bimmer, including oil changes at the designated times.
I've gotta get my timing chain done soon! It was suppose to be done 20000k ago But i didnt know this till about 18000k after it was due!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:35 AM   #12688
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
$15????? Are you using used oil? Every one, with an OEM Honda filter comes to around $40 for me.

On a side note, my mothers Protege5 is suggested to have it changed every 8000 km... So i'm not sure.
40 for a filter??? eek....

No, I wasn't using used oil...Wal Mart had 10dub30 for like 10-11 bucks for the longest time (Castrol GTX/Quaker State) and Fram filters for my truck are like 3.87 a pop....
Wasteland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #12689
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
It may be "just" a Honda Danny, but personally I really don't like it when those gay square cut Fram or similar gaskets burn to the block. Or when the gaskets break... Or for the fact that 90% of Filter makers use paper in their filters.

The Honda filters have a better filtration rating than most, are'nt made of paper inside, have a rounded gasket that is fused to the filter, and are smaller with different passages promoting better oil pressure. A Fram once failed on me and dumped 4 litres of oil all over my cement. I don't mind buying a better filter each time.
hmmm I love my Fram...for filtration they're rated at like 96% single pass/99% second pass or whatever the hell it was....all I remember is that it was pretty much unbeatable. The Frams I buy also have the rubber gasket fused to the filter and I've never had a problem with them fusing to the block....and they have the handy-dandy grip!
Old 03-13-2006, 06:05 AM   #12690

the honda N1 race kaa's use oem honda filters. i think they know what they are doing.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:45 AM   #12691
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
the honda N1 race kaa's use oem honda filters. i think they know what they are doing.
Well mr so and so uses the binford 5000 filters.... I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Oh ya.... and they use HAMP filters.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #12692
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
A Fram once failed on me and dumped 4 litres of oil all over my cement. I don't mind buying a better filter each time.
You won't leak 4L through the filter unless the car was running.... and if it was running it'd die before all 4L could come out.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #12693
Banned for being an idiot

it was running! and when the oil light came on, I shut it off. Maybe not all 4 litres, but with the drain bolt out very little came out.
down_hill_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #12694
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
I never said they were bad filters or that either Craig or the N1 cars didn't know what they were doing. I was simply implying that, for real world applications, my 3.87 Fram filter does just as wonderful of a job as a 40 dollar Honda OEM.

Besides...I'm pretty sure that running a Fram for 4000 is better for a car than a 40 dollar Honda OEM for 6200.

Truth is that most filters are excellent and the difference comes in at how often you change your oil.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #12695

Quote:
Originally posted by Wasteland
Truth is that most filters are excellent and the difference comes in at how often you change your oil.
untrue. have you seen any of the tests done on oil filters? many filters fall apart before 5000kms potentially causing more harm than good. ive heard fram filters are quite restrictive too.

my old bike only saw K&N filters while i owned it. and for $17, i think thats quite affordable. the new one will get Honda or K&N filters aswell with Motul 5100 oil after break in. with an engine spinning above 15,000rpm, a good filter with super clean, quality oil is very very important.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #12696

heres a good article:

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

good note about the Fram:
"This filter appears to be the lowest quality of the group. But it is one of the most expensive of the group too, I guess marketing costs are pretty high here. The cardboard end-caps for the filter element, the cheap plastic by-pass valve and the flimsy anti-drainback valve will make me stay away from this filter.

Any of these filters would work for me except for the Fram ExtraGuard, I just don't care for it as they seem to have made to many compromises to lower manufacturing costs (read questionable quality)."

Last edited by RRxtar; 03-13-2006 at 04:36 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #12697
OK Head Mod

as much as i sound like a hypocrite.. i'm working on getting a case or two of K&N filters for us B series people.. for cheap!
Old 03-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #12698
My homepage has been set to RS

it's been two weeks since the last time i smoked a cigarette. longest i have went in my entire 6 year career as a smoker... i'm pretty proud of myself!
Old 03-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #12699
TC-13*

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebomber85
it's been two weeks since the last time i smoked a cigarette. longest i have went in my entire 6 year career as a smoker... i'm pretty proud of myself!
Congrats man, keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_TEG View Post
fat chicks dont have feelings.
RedCeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #12700
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebomber85
nice, they say it takes 2 weeks to form a habbit. keep it up dawg.
HyperREV is offline   Reply With Quote