REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Okanagan Automotive Chat > Okanagan Off-Topic

Okanagan Off-Topic Whatever ya wanna talk about
Talk about anything unrelated to automotive discussion.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #13576
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

super random party fun deep in east kelowna last night. fuck yeah
Advertisement
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #13577
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

ugh, packing sucks, my house is reduced to boxes everywhere! needed a cd, forgot which box it was in, god that sucked hah
Old 09-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #13578
My homepage has been set to RS

mattster,
is your supra white, and were u wearing a red shirt today at in the superstore parking lot having a smoke?

if so, you gotta tune that bish, it's puffing more smoke than a cypress hill concert.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #13579

..but i forgot to add, it looked nice and sounded good.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #13580

my uncle died today after a short battle with cancer of the esophagus. in a way it makes me somewhat glad as he was suffering horribly, but it's so terrible.

he has a wife, and a 10 year old boy..

RIP Douggie Carbonneau, you'll forever be missed buddy.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #13581
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Rip

Sorry to hear hun
RSVC #9

Thats a really nice story... but does it come in interesting?

'02 3.0L Ford Ranger Edge

'85 3.8L V6 Mustang (Gone :()

Support Your Rev Scene Artists, visit or post your own work on the Import Personal Art Forum! Click Here!
Festus351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #13582
OK Head Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebomber85
my uncle died today after a short battle with cancer of the esophagus. in a way it makes me somewhat glad as he was suffering horribly, but it's so terrible.

that's terrible man, how old was he?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #13583
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,099 Times in 168 Posts
so i might be fighting in afghanistan pretty soon...applied in the canadian forces few days ago and have a interview soon :s
Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #13584
RS controls my life!

hah this made me laugh at my half asleep state this morning.

Quote:
i got a neon because its got a dohc engine and its easy to modify so i can race.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #13585
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

let me guess, that was jeff that said that? lol

//geby; car back soon says:
lagggggggg
. says:
lag = traction
bmxkelowna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #13586

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xxx19
so i might be fighting in afghanistan pretty soon...applied in the canadian forces few days ago and have a interview soon :s
from what i understand only those who request to go places like afghanistan go - you wouldn't be ordered there. good luck with the interview
Old 09-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #13587
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally posted by bmxkelowna
let me guess, that was jeff that said that? lol
hahaha nope wasnt ol jeff, jus a random guy @ work. stoked on his neon.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #13588

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaupunkt69
from what i understand only those who request to go places like afghanistan go - you wouldn't be ordered there. good luck with the interview

hey thanks the recruiter told me that they are 1500 soldiers short . but they wont send you until they think your %110 sure you can handle it.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #13589
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally posted by xxx19
There is no such thing as "soon" in the military. "Hurry up and wait" is the motto so keep that in mind.

Umm, okay, I was going to keep a little quiet on this, but because there is so much misinformation going on about this topic and this is something that has consumed my life for the past year I needed to comment.

For one, you sign the contract YOU GO period. Your recruiter is filling your head with dreams and I think you should have had a more thorough talk with him if this was a concern. For another thing, it will be a year or so before you even have to be thinking about that. With military contracts, part of what you are agreeing to in that contract is that you will serve a MANDATORY (you go and you have no choice other than to not sign the initial contract when they offer you the job, you'll get a call months from now for that) tour of duty whereas any others (any other tours after yur first mandatory one) within that contract are voluntary. I can't make this clear enough, YOU ARE ORDERED TO GO AND YOU WILL BE!!! Prior to our start of a combative role in December of 2005 in Afghanistan most NCMs would serve out their contracts without doing a tour of duty, but this is no longer the case. You will be deployed, so don't get me wrong there, but you have more time than you think before that happens. The only way to have your tour of duty purely voluntary is if you were to join the Rocky Mountain Rangers/Reserves. But I would never suggest it because your training is not IMO intense enough to prepare you for the tasks at hand over there, case in point with alot of NCOs and reservists dying over there.

My fiancee is in the military, infantry and his best friend just got back from the 'ghan a month ago, infantry as well. My DF (darling fiancee, have to use this term on military support forums, sorry, just used to it!) did his interview in March, his physical in April got his medical approval letter in July was sworn-in in August and was shipped out for training in Quebec just two weeks ago. It isn't instant although the government is trying to speed up the process and now I think you can appreciate why; it takes MONTHS!

But that's just the beginning...BMQ(basic military qualification) is 10-13 weeks, SQ (soldier qualification) is 8 weeks I believe, and then BIQ(this depends on your trade)(battle school) is 12-13 weeks. They have been cutting training short by a couple weeks towards the end because they badly need people over there right now to relieve the people whose tours are now extending into their 7th or 8th month, whereas your tour of duty is "usually" 6 months. But it is still about 10 months of training (including Christmas) before you even think about being deployed.

I am painfully aware that come next summer this will happen for my DF. This is one of the reasons that I have not been posting because this is a huge thing in my life right now (supporting the troops and preparing my life for his absence because we have to plan everything from when and where to buy our house to when we can have the wedding), plus I had to get my head around the idea of living on a base because if we don't buy a house we will have one on base this summer and I'm more than likely moving to Shilo :S Oh well, at least it won't be Alert or something like that, lol.

With that said, it's hard work and most certainly worth it if that's what you really want for your life. I know my DF has been dreaming about it since he was 10 years old and I couldn't be prouder of him for doing this. He is extremely skilled in this profession and I trust that he will do well over there. He really honestly is my hero.

Oh and to add. . . they MAKE you 110% ready to go, that's their job, or you're failed/recoursed.

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it

Last edited by WSODgirlracer; 09-12-2006 at 08:07 PM.
WSODgirlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #13590
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebomber85

I know how you feel. My BF's dad just passed away last Thursday from brain cancer. He left behind a wife and 3 sons. It's horrible what that disease does to you towards the end. I'm thankful he's at peace. You have my condolences.

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
Old 09-12-2006, 09:38 PM   #13591
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

No mom, I'm not watching bukake movies again's Avatar

Ok, I've never finished FF8 and it's really been agitating me for some reason. This is my third attempt at it. So I've been playing it pretty hardcore trying to finish it before I move into my new place. Now I've found that there is a problem with disc #3!!! Talk about a fucking piss off!!!!! It just keeps freezing in the middle of a CGI... FACK~!~! It's like fate is against my from finshing that game... grrrr... so if anyone out there has FF8 and wanna get rid of it... I'll pay shipping! LoL
1990 Nissan Skyline GTR Nismo #161/500
Monster build under way
No mom, I'm not watching bukake movies again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #13592

Quote:
Originally posted by WSODgirlracer
There is no such thing as "soon" in the military. "Hurry up and wait" is the motto so keep that in mind.

Umm, okay, I was going to keep a little quiet on this, but because there is so much misinformation going on about this topic and this is something that has consumed my life for the past year I needed to comment.

For one, you sign the contract YOU GO period. Your recruiter is filling your head with dreams and I think you should have had a more thorough talk with him if this was a concern. For another thing, it will be a year or so before you even have to be thinking about that. With military contracts, part of what you are agreeing to in that contract is that you will serve a MANDATORY (you go and you have no choice other than to not sign the initial contract when they offer you the job, you'll get a call months from now for that) tour of duty whereas any others (any other tours after yur first mandatory one) within that contract are voluntary. I can't make this clear enough, YOU ARE ORDERED TO GO AND YOU WILL BE!!! Prior to our start of a combative role in December of 2005 in Afghanistan most NCMs would serve out their contracts without doing a tour of duty, but this is no longer the case. You will be deployed, so don't get me wrong there, but you have more time than you think before that happens. The only way to have your tour of duty purely voluntary is if you were to join the Rocky Mountain Rangers/Reserves. But I would never suggest it because your training is not IMO intense enough to prepare you for the tasks at hand over there, case in point with alot of NCOs and reservists dying over there.

My fiancee is in the military, infantry and his best friend just got back from the 'ghan a month ago, infantry as well. My DF (darling fiancee, have to use this term on military support forums, sorry, just used to it!) did his interview in March, his physical in April got his medical approval letter in July was sworn-in in August and was shipped out for training in Quebec just two weeks ago. It isn't instant although the government is trying to speed up the process and now I think you can appreciate why; it takes MONTHS!

But that's just the beginning...BMQ(basic military qualification) is 10-13 weeks, SQ (soldier qualification) is 8 weeks I believe, and then BIQ(this depends on your trade)(battle school) is 12-13 weeks. They have been cutting training short by a couple weeks towards the end because they badly need people over there right now to relieve the people whose tours are now extending into their 7th or 8th month, whereas your tour of duty is "usually" 6 months. But it is still about 10 months of training (including Christmas) before you even think about being deployed.

I am painfully aware that come next summer this will happen for my DF. This is one of the reasons that I have not been posting because this is a huge thing in my life right now (supporting the troops and preparing my life for his absence because we have to plan everything from when and where to buy our house to when we can have the wedding), plus I had to get my head around the idea of living on a base because if we don't buy a house we will have one on base this summer and I'm more than likely moving to Shilo :S Oh well, at least it won't be Alert or something like that, lol.

With that said, it's hard work and most certainly worth it if that's what you really want for your life. I know my DF has been dreaming about it since he was 10 years old and I couldn't be prouder of him for doing this. He is extremely skilled in this profession and I trust that he will do well over there. He really honestly is my hero.

Oh and to add. . . they MAKE you 110% ready to go, that's their job, or you're failed/recoursed.
does he have plans after the army? or is it a career* for him?

Last edited by FishTaco; 09-12-2006 at 10:25 PM.
FishTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #13593
RS controls my life!

I don't think he's sure for his plans after his 3 year contract. He is thinking about the police (not sure whether RCMP or city police) after his 3 year contract is up, but he's not sure. With me being in school, it would make it alot easier for him to be in city police or something.

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
Old 09-13-2006, 01:42 AM   #13594

holy shit we have the same goals..thats soo cool
Old 09-13-2006, 01:50 AM   #13595
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally posted by GTR_Russ
Ok, I've never finished FF8 and it's really been agitating me for some reason. This is my third attempt at it. So I've been playing it pretty hardcore trying to finish it before I move into my new place. Now I've found that there is a problem with disc #3!!! Talk about a fucking piss off!!!!! It just keeps freezing in the middle of a CGI... FACK~!~! It's like fate is against my from finshing that game... grrrr... so if anyone out there has FF8 and wanna get rid of it... I'll pay shipping! LoL
Dude I could never finish that game... fuck i hate it so much!

Do you have a cd lense cleaner? Try that first, it may solve your problem!
If not I think I may have a copy laying around..

/// mpwr -- e34 535i -- m5 wheels | S3.91 LSD | m5 fly,clutch,pressure | 8mm wires | Racing Dynamics
alpinaracerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #13596
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
stick in the military for 20 years and you get a FULL governement pension, regardless if you get a new job or not.

we had an ex military man of 35 years work for us this year and i swear to god he was a recruiter. haha. free living + being paid + learn a trade + huge pension in the end = not a bad idea if you dont have anything else going. if i wasnt so fucking lazy i might go too heh.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #13597
RS controls my life!

but your pension also transfers right over from the military to the rcmp (one of the reasons my DF is thinking about RCMP afterwards), so if he does his 3 year contract and then switches to rcmp for 17 years he will still get the full government pension.

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer

Last edited by WSODgirlracer; 09-13-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #13598

thanks for the kind words everybody...
Old 09-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #13599

i thought rcmp is 30 years? ... so he would have 27 left?..
Canadian Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #13600

Quote:
Originally posted by WSODgirlracer
There is no such thing as "soon" in the military. "Hurry up and wait" is the motto so keep that in mind. ...
very good post. its not so quik and easy as jsut joining the army and then going and getting some or not, depending on your preference. you sign the dotted line and you belong to the govt, end of story. if they need soldiers to go overseas and the current laws wont allow then to ship you over. they will change them. easy as that. think draft before you get it into your head that you have any choice in the matter
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote