REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Okanagan Automotive Chat > Okanagan Automotive Chat

Okanagan Automotive Chat Kelowna, Penticton, Vernon, Kamloops, BC Interior and beyond.
BC Interior Auto-Related Discussion..

Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #4001
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

just for reference, as most people here might not know. the wrx 5 speed gearbox, is a design that is over 15 years old. it is extremely weak, and is referred to as the "glass tranny". as is such, it is never a good idea to get an overly powerful clutch especially at around 300awhp as we are reaching the transmission's power threshold. sadly.

the wrx sti 6 speed gearbox on the other hand was first designed in 2001. it is known as the "bulletproof tranny" and can hold upwards of 600-700awhp. a clutch upgrade being necessary of course.

anyways. we drove ryans car around a little bit the other night, and the clutch seemed to hold half decent in comparison to the day before when it slipped no matter what. strange. i recommend an oem spec, or an aftermarket clutch of similar/slightly higher tq capacity. its always better to replace a clutch instead of a gearbox. let me rephrase that, its always cheaper.
Advertisement

Last edited by mannslayer; 09-25-2007 at 12:25 PM.
mannslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #4002
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally posted by Therin
put it back in your backyard, there is no reason you should be using a picnic table for a spoiler.
ever ridden in a fwd that corners, at highway speeds? its scarey. to make a fwd corner at low speeds you need to crank up the rear wheel rate to levels that make it dangerous at higher speed. this is why tons of raod race fwd cars have huge rear wangs and frt splitters. so there is a reason he could potentially need a huige spoiler, altho im going to say thats probably not the case here
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #4003
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

oh crazy! I never knew that! I always laughed at them! haha

www.ColinPhoto.ca
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #4004
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
^ chances are a lot of the guys with spoilers don't know that either though :P, either way more unknown facts from Jeff haha.

modded around $45 of 89 octane into exhaust gasses all over Kelowna between Sunday afternoon and Monday night. Woot driving aimlessly for 3.5 hours straight!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 09-25-2007 at 03:38 PM.
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #4005

Quote:
Originally posted by ckrieg
oh crazy! I never knew that! I always laughed at them! haha

no no, keep laughing at them. i mean fwd's like mine shanes and kriss' where its an excersize to keep it pointed strait on an autoX course. not weenie cavies and preludes with lowering sprangs. im interested to see what my mugen wang does to help with this in my car. i doubt it will make any noticeable difference tho, because i dont know much atall about aero tuning
Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #4006
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally posted by mannslayer
just for reference, as most people here might not know. the wrx 5 speed gearbox, is a design that is over 15 years old. it is extremely weak, and is referred to as the "glass tranny". as is such, it is never a good idea to get an overly powerful clutch especially at around 300awhp as we are reaching the transmission's power threshold. sadly.

the wrx sti 6 speed gearbox on the other hand was first designed in 2001. it is known as the "bulletproof tranny" and can hold upwards of 600-700awhp. a clutch upgrade being necessary of course.

anyways. we drove ryans car around a little bit the other night, and the clutch seemed to hold half decent in comparison to the day before when it slipped no matter what. strange. i recommend an oem spec, or an aftermarket clutch of similar/slightly higher tq capacity. its always better to replace a clutch instead of a gearbox. let me rephrase that, its always cheaper.
Exactly. The clutch i plan on buying in the next few days is a stage two act, which max tq holding is just over 400. Its a good all around clutch thats shouldn't be super harsh on my gears of glass.
2009 Honda Ruckus
007WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #4007
RS controls my life!

BTW, I will do the clutch fluid BEFORE I order a new clutch.
2009 Honda Ruckus
Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #4008
Banned for being an idiot

good you dumb fucker. if it wasnt slipping as bad when you and Dave went out.. Sounds to me like you need a good bleed, or even possibly a clutch master/slave cylinder. A fresh bleed fixed my slip problems from the weekend before this one. Personally, I think that ACT is too much.

p.s. there are no "stage"s in ACT's line. If by upgraded you mean: part #SB3-HDMM.. Then it's a 430 ft lb clutch with the same pressure plate as the 4 puck race clutches. That seems too much in my opinion.

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/Exedy_S...nic_Clutch_Kit

But before you get too excited, get a good bleed with fresh fluid done. I'm almost positive it'll cure your problems for another 10,000 km. There is no way that clutch is done already.

Last edited by down_hill_dog; 09-25-2007 at 06:48 PM.
down_hill_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #4009
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally posted by down_hill_dog
good you dumb fucker. if it wasnt slipping as bad when you and Dave went out.. Sounds to me like you need a good bleed, or even possibly a clutch master/slave cylinder. A fresh bleed fixed my slip problems from the weekend before this one. Personally, I think that ACT is too much.

p.s. there are no "stage"s in ACT's line. If by upgraded you mean: part #SB3-HDMM.. Then it's a 430 ft lb clutch with the same pressure plate as the 4 puck race clutches. That seems too much in my opinion.

But before you get too excited, get a good bleed with fresh fluid done. I'm almost positive it'll cure your problems for another 10,000 km. There is no way that clutch is done already.
Ya for sure. Ill let you know how it goes tomorrow after the bleed.

-Ryan

//geby; car back soon says:
lagggggggg
. says:
lag = traction

Last edited by bmxkelowna; 09-25-2007 at 07:03 PM.
bmxkelowna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #4010
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
put it back in your backyard, there is no reason you should be using a picnic table for a spoiler.
omg, i think this might be the new sig worthy.
'89 gixxer 750- parts possible future bike
'88 katana- black, missing guages fairing and a passenger seat, sexy
zumvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #4011
OK Head Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by down_hill_dog

It's not that his is just slipping, I noticed when riding in his car that it is chattering pretty badly upon engagement as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #4012
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffh
ever ridden in a fwd that corners, at highway speeds? its scarey. to make a fwd corner at low speeds you need to crank up the rear wheel rate to levels that make it dangerous at higher speed. this is why tons of raod race fwd cars have huge rear wangs and frt splitters. so there is a reason he could potentially need a huige spoiler, altho im going to say thats probably not the case here
hey now, i didnt say it wouldnt be functional on a fwd. I said HE didnt need to be using it. its ulgy and stupid looking on anything other than a real race car or street car with lots of power. Adam's lude has neither of those characteristics.

i was making fun of the spoiler. nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Originally posted by E N D L E S S

Yeah and if you fill up half tank v-power and then go fill the rest with chevron techron you got mad vtech power yo
----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
Therin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #4013

Quote:

i was making fun of the spoiler. nothing more, nothing less.
fair enough, it is a pretty ugly spoiler, i just like bringing fun facts to the discussion.
as for the clutch discussion, i loved my old exedy stage 2 clutch.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 PM   #4014
RS controls my life!

Exedy is a bit more pricey though... Clutch is going to have to wait a few weeks. I have to buy tires for the truck for winter. Ugh
2009 Honda Ruckus
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #4015
RS controls my life!

Bled clutch fluid = a very slight noticeable difference in engagement, but other than that did nothing. Still chatters, slips 3rd gear boost.

Finished painting stock rims with winters and put them on car.

Polished heat sheild

Installed harness
2009 Honda Ruckus
Old 09-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #4016
My homepage has been set to RS

Went for a drive around the block to check if it still drove. Seems to drive in a strait line, still turns and corners alright. Still need to install headlights and finish lowering it. I got the alignment done today and a few misc cosmetic things.

LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
girlcrazy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #4017
Banned for being an idiot

Modded Plates off of the Miata and onto the Civic.
down_hill_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #4018
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

b18a1 shoehorned into a 1984 accord. damn shes tight.

93 Civic LX ~SOLD~
89 BMW 325i ~SOLD~
89 Accord SE-i ~SOLD~

http://www.kelownaimports.com
vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #4019
Need my Daily Fix of RS

put a rear camber kit in no more eating up rear tires
blue92eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #4020

new crank -> alt belt yesterday. it blew off in the rain thursday night in the middle of a second gear cooker. man NA sucks
Old 09-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #4021
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Well modded some bellhousing bolts to come loose and seperate the pump from the converter, no go for the rebuild dyno'd tranny. sweetttt. so now that it is apart i am going to have a stall put in something like a 2200-2500 stall, wanting it to work around 2200 and given that my motor is fairly low compression i think i am going to have to use a 2500 stall to work around 2200. my rant.
'89 gixxer 750- parts possible future bike
'88 katana- black, missing guages fairing and a passenger seat, sexy
zumvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #4022

modded a non honda key onto the key chain
Old 09-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #4023
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
*waits for universe to implode*
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #4024
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
new crank -> alt belt yesterday. it blew off in the rain thursday night in the middle of a second gear cooker. man NA sucks
Quote:
modded a non honda key onto the key chain
whattttt...thats no good :S
Old 09-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #4025

Quote:
Originally posted by underscore
*waits for universe to implode*
Quote:
Originally posted by racer__X__33
whattttt...thats no good :S

i know its weird. 87 mazda 323. price was right.
seems to have a miss and it runs alot slower than my old 84 accord. also need to fix the E-brake before serious drifting can occur