REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   Kung Fu Hustle (https://www.revscene.net/forums/293908-kung-fu-hustle.html)

Head Porter 05-03-2005 07:57 AM

Kung Fu Hustle

how can there be no threads on this?

!SG 05-03-2005 08:33 AM

cuz its an old movie.

SkinnyPupp 05-03-2005 09:57 AM

There are a few threads on it

InvisibleSoul 05-03-2005 11:45 AM

The search button is your friend...

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=182761

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=234835

voss 05-03-2005 12:01 PM

i think the mute girl is cute
hehe

RacePace 05-03-2005 12:51 PM

there is no plot what so ever

willystyle 05-03-2005 02:04 PM

yeah, surprisingly it's rated so high.

carisear 05-03-2005 02:43 PM

i don't see why -- i didn't like it that much.

!SG 05-03-2005 05:30 PM

stephen chow's earlier work was awesome.... now it just sucks =/

carisear 05-03-2005 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SG
stephen chow's earlier work was awesome.... now it just sucks =/
peaking with shaolin soccer!

df2k 05-04-2005 03:08 PM

I thought the movie was pretty good..
havent seen other stephen chow movies.. i ll dl shaolin soccer and chek it out ..

derek_mango 05-04-2005 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by willystyle
yeah, surprisingly it's rated so high.
it's rated so high because white people are still new to these kinds of movies...and it amazes them :P

ie crouching tiger hidden dragon...shaolin soccer...house of flying daggers...

they all did well at the box office cuz it's still a relatively new thing for them but it's not new to chinese people...that's why we dont think they are so great :P

SkinnyPupp 05-04-2005 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by derek_mango
it's rated so high because white people are still new to these kinds of movies...and it amazes them :P
Ummm besides Shaolin Soccer, how many moves are like Kung Fu Hustle? Please tell me, oh wise chinese person ;)

derek_mango 05-04-2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SkinnyPupp
Ummm besides Shaolin Soccer, how many moves are like Kung Fu Hustle? Please tell me, oh wise chinese person ;)
that's not what i mean. i meant chinese movies with kung fu in it in general

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-04-2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

you must of forgetten about the earlier part of last century when bruce lee was cranking out kung fu movies.

derek_mango 05-04-2005 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ulic Qel-Droma
you must of forgetten about the earlier part of last century when bruce lee was cranking out kung fu movies.
and? do white people also not love bruce lee? :P

SkinnyPupp 05-04-2005 10:04 PM

Quote:

You'tr completely missing the point then. Stephen Chow's movies are completely unique, and actually satire/pay tribute to all the kung fu movies that have been popular both in asia and north america. Of course it is to a lesser extent here, but it's not like north americans never knew about kung fu movies before now.

And movies like crouching tiger and flying daggers.. well they sort of fit into their own category as well, because until now, you have likely never seen such a wonderfully produced and directed movie. With these movies, I think it just 'happens to be' a kung fu movie.

So like ulic said, bruce lee was hugely popular here before you or I were even born.

Belive me, north americans aren't new to chinese or kung fu movies. And jaded chinese people don't (or shouldn't) find shaolin soccer or kung fu hussle to be 'more of the same'. Both movies were HUGELY popular in hong kong. In fact, they have been some of the most successful movies in HK in the past 10 years!

I think you are totally misunderstanding these movies, and what makes them popular. Maybe CBC's fit into their own category in this regard?

!SG 05-05-2005 06:18 AM

Quote:

You'tr completely missing the point then. Stephen Chow's movies are completely unique, and actually satire/pay tribute to all the kung fu movies that have been popular both in asia and north america. Of course it is to a lesser extent here, but it's not like north americans never knew about kung fu movies before now.

And movies like crouching tiger and flying daggers.. well they sort of fit into their own category as well, because until now, you have likely never seen such a wonderfully produced and directed movie. With these movies, I think it just 'happens to be' a kung fu movie.

So like ulic said, bruce lee was hugely popular here before you or I were even born.

Belive me, north americans aren't new to chinese or kung fu movies. And jaded chinese people don't (or shouldn't) find shaolin soccer or kung fu hussle to be 'more of the same'. Both movies were HUGELY popular in hong kong. In fact, they have been some of the most successful movies in HK in the past 10 years!

I think you are totally misunderstanding these movies, and what makes them popular. Maybe CBC's fit into their own category in this regard?

for me

stephen chow = comedy

so its big difference now with his new movies... they just arent as funny as his old stuff... u gotta admit to that. i guess he is trying out new roles... i myself would not mind him making a comedy like in the old days...

house of frying faggots was ok. the story line wasnt that bad, same with hero (same director i believe)... but to be honest, i saw it cuz it was the new movie out, and zhang zi yi was in it...

SkinnyPupp 05-05-2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SG
for me

stephen chow = comedy

so its big difference now with his new movies... they just arent as funny as his old stuff... u gotta admit to that. i guess he is trying out new roles... i myself would not mind him making a comedy like in the old days...

house of frying faggots was ok. the story line wasnt that bad, same with hero (same director i believe)... but to be honest, i saw it cuz it was the new movie out, and zhang zi yi was in it...

I agree, his older movies are nothing like the new ones. But you have to appreciate a director trying new angles (let alone ones that are totally unique to ALL movies). Especially when it comes to chinese movie-makers, who tend to stick with the same formula over and over.

!SG 05-05-2005 09:39 AM

Quote:

I agree, his older movies are nothing like the new ones. But you have to appreciate a director trying new angles (let alone ones that are totally unique to ALL movies). Especially when it comes to chinese movie-makers, who tend to stick with the same formula over and over.
haha, but i kinda like the old rebels vs the corrupt government stories. ive probably seen a good 100 movies all centralized around the same plot. and never seem to get tired of them.

its just gonna take a while to adjust stephen chows new rolls. he was typecasted as the king of asian comedy.

Grandmaster TSE 05-05-2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SG
he was typecasted as the king of asian comedy.
:werd:
all his old stuff rocked!

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-05-2005 04:10 PM

house of frying faggots?! HAHAHAHA i gotta check that one out.

stuff99 05-13-2009 02:25 PM

WTF @ Kung Fu Hustle game http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49197.html

looks like crap.

AznK 05-13-2009 02:31 PM

His old stuff is hilarious... but I think you need to understand cantonese for it to be really funny.

IfUCare 05-13-2009 02:46 PM

i think for the people that didn't find the movie to be good is because they don't have a good understanding of old hk movies. Most of the movie was an tribute to the old movies that made hk movies the way we love them. He takes the bunch of movies and adds new elements to it.
I personally enjoyed it, just had a good time trying to see what movie they were referencing.