REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Any hikers on the board? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/301330-any-hikers-board.html)

chun 06-02-2005 12:56 PM

Any hikers on the board?

Hiked Diaz Vistas yesterday over by Buntzen... starting to get into it. Other hikes done recently are The Chief, Grouse Grind (the two popular ones), Black Mountain, and another trail around Buntzen. Anyone else do it now and then? :)

way2quik 06-02-2005 07:15 PM

oh cool..i hike a lot. go hike "garabaldi mountain". it's past "the chief" by like another 20km. oh man, if we were prepared, we could've hiked up 3 feet of snow, literally. no gear so we had to hike back down. there's one called "harrison mountain" and there's a lake in the middle of a mountain. it was sooo nice. if you hike up way to the top, you can see a view of the whole fraser valley. it's hard tho, i think it was 19km up or was it 10km. i can't remember but it goes in circles and there are a lot of bushes.

logi 06-02-2005 08:55 PM

I've only tried The Chief and the Grouse Grind. Garibaldi sounds cool, I gotta try that!

Acuracura 06-04-2005 02:20 AM

i often stop by Brandywine Falls on the way to Whistler for a hike. I tracked a hike for about 10km but the GPS loss satellite signal occasionally so it could be more.

DownLow 06-05-2005 10:04 AM

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=pitt+m...0.157250&hl=en

I posted this in the fishing thread a couple of days ago, it's a good hike.

hopalong 06-05-2005 11:52 AM

the chief is cool...only done 1st and 2nd peak so far this season...going for the 3rd next week, but geribaldy is freakin crazy!! ive only done it once it it took me and my friends over 8 hours back and forth...it was satisfying when u reach the top though.

chun 06-06-2005 07:42 PM

Garibaldi is a crazy hike... I hear if you go up during bad times, there's crevasses (sp?) in the glacier like, couple hundreds of feet deep, covered by snow! Way too pro for me...

I did Seymour today and got up to the very top. 14xx meters... I'll post some pics later tonight if I get the chance! Post some of your own pics ppl :)

toddzilla 06-08-2005 01:54 AM

Doing the Grind tomorrow - every time I go I cut 1 minute off!! still kinda hate it though, but it's a good cardio attack. The Chief is always nice. For something challenging try the Lions from Cypress bowl. A good 6 hour round trip and wicked views. Or Rainbow lake in Whistler for a more relaxed but very entertaining 4 hour or so hike....really nice super flat and peaceful lake at the top but BRING BUG SPRAY! Also, Minnekadeh (sp?) park in Coquitlam has some interesting but not too tough hikes to explore. I love living here!!! Oh and then there's the bike trails on the Shore and now in the tri-cities (Eagle ridge especially!) This really is the best place to live if you're an outdoors person.

liquider 06-26-2005 09:15 PM

hiking sounds awesome but i've never gone before.. i live a deprived life :(

i was wondering if anyone could suggest some trails to get a beginner started. that harrison mountain with the lake sounds like a sweet place... is that something i should wait on though?

oh and one last thing is what would be the typical things you would bring/wear for say a dayhike?

thanks in advance for any feedback :)

DownLow 06-27-2005 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by liquider
hiking sounds awesome but i've never gone before.. i live a deprived life :(

i was wondering if anyone could suggest some trails to get a beginner started. that harrison mountain with the lake sounds like a sweet place... is that something i should wait on though?

oh and one last thing is what would be the typical things you would bring/wear for say a dayhike?

thanks in advance for any feedback :)

There's lots of links on Google.

ie http://www.virtualvancouver.com/hikes.html
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/hiking/vancouver/

but you might want to pick up a book at MEC, they're usually updated every year with trail conditions etc.

Your list of things to bring depends on how popular the trail is.

When doing something like the Grouse Grind, really all you need is water since there are tons of people on the trail and a snack bar when you get to the top. :)

If I was going on a less popular trail I'd bring this:

- lots of water
- trail mix
- chocolate bar
- lunch
- knife
- first aid kit
- emergency blanket (the tinfoil things)
- flashlight
- map
- cell phone
- rain gear
- garbage bag
- waterproof matches
- candle
- mirror

Hmm.. anything else?

Basically you should be prepared to spend a night on the trail just in case, and you should always tell someone where you're going and when they should expect you back.

I also leave a change of clothes, more food and water, and a thermos of tea in my car.

vancitylove 06-27-2005 11:12 AM

if you're looking for some longer hikes crown mountain (6-8hrs) and goat(5-6hrs)) are nice. seymour(4hrs) is good too.
for really long ones try black tusk(12+hrs) climb an extinct volcano or wedgemount lake (8hr-10hrs) you get to see a glacier lake like lake louise.

liquider 06-30-2005 07:33 PM

sweet thanks 89Formula350!

i think i'm going for the chief this weekend! hopefully the weather will cooperate with my rookie skills :D

i'll be sure to post some pics if we catch any good ones

liquider 07-03-2005 09:32 PM

the chief was awesome!
took me in the vicinity of 3-4 hours, i didn't keep track of time.. but the time flew going up!

i didn't manage to catch any good pictures though.. heck trying to catch my breath was hard enough.

when i went up the trail all i saw was one sign pointing to the chief.. are there other signs pointing to the other 2 summits?

keitaro 07-03-2005 11:02 PM

oh we should have an RS hiking meet lol.. gonna do the grind next week(but i dont call the grind a hike) maybe black tusk later on.. in aug. gonna go to golden ears..

chun 07-04-2005 10:55 PM

liquider: yeah, there are signs that lead you to the other 2 summits. which summit did you make it to? first peak? it's nice up there eh? :)

was planning to do mount brunswick today but slept in... grrr! hahaa

keitaro 07-05-2005 06:23 PM

did a short hike yesterday the lynn headwateres loop trail...

liquider 07-05-2005 10:03 PM

hm. i'm guessing it was first chief i did because i just followed the sign that said stawamus chief

i guess i'm going to have to take the path less travelled by next time :) ...or just less pointed out

i can't wait to go again but this weather! i normally love the pouring rain but i can't go hiking in my worn out shox! i was sliding down the rock incline on the way down

keitaro --> where's lynn headwateres loop trail?

keitaro 07-06-2005 07:32 PM

^ its just above lynn valley entrance (the one where there is a supension bridge) just go on lynn valley road go straight.. in to this residental area, then the road would turn left, but there is an side road that is straight ahead go in.. then when u walk into the park there would be a big board where there is a map and hiker registartion..go left then follow the gravel trail up then the first trail that is on ur left handside go for it.. then follow it around.. or u can do it backwards by turning left instead of right

can anyone list some good day hikes thats not to far away. i mean to do wedemount, you need to get up at like 4am from vancouver and drive out. how hard is hiking black tusk? as well as has anyone hiked the lions yet? good hike? hard?

Slif 07-06-2005 09:46 PM

possible dumb question from a self-professed n00b - but is it possible/safe to do the grind wearing just regular "walking" runners, or should i wear something with better grip on it?

meaning - how steep does this sucker get?

keitaro 07-06-2005 10:03 PM

^
i dont like using my hikers for the grind, i use runners for it.. lighter the better.. grind really aint of a hike for me lol.. it does get steep in some sections. i used hikers once.. and ever since then havent used it again on teh grind.

Berzerker 07-08-2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vancitylove
if you're looking for some longer hikes crown mountain (6-8hrs) and goat(5-6hrs)) are nice. seymour(4hrs) is good too.
for really long ones try black tusk(12+hrs) climb an extinct volcano or wedgemount lake (8hr-10hrs) you get to see a glacier lake like lake louise.

I did goat in 3 hours on the weekend :D

I am goin to Lake Aluette tommorow for a 22km round trip hike should be fun.

Berz out.

chun 07-08-2005 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Slif
possible dumb question from a self-professed n00b - but is it possible/safe to do the grind wearing just regular "walking" runners, or should i wear something with better grip on it?

meaning - how steep does this sucker get?

I did it in worn out presto's... runners are fine. If it's been raining the day before or whatever, it might get slippery at times but as long as your common sense and general motor skills are okay, you should be fine :p

keitaro 07-12-2005 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Berzerker
I did goat in 3 hours on the weekend :D

I am goin to Lake Aluette tommorow for a 22km round trip hike should be fun.

Berz out.

so how was the hike at the lake?

liquider 07-12-2005 09:03 PM

heh i managed to find the sign for second peak my second way up :) but my friends wanted to do first peak [of the chief].. the weather's been awesome! hiking is so fun i can't believe what i've been missing all my life.

i'm planning on doing an overnight hike this weekend.. does anyone have any suggestions for ones to do in two days and approximately how long it will take up and down?

cheers :)

chun 07-12-2005 09:08 PM

Hey guys,

What I recommend is getting a book called "103 Hikes of BC" or something like that. It's only around $20 and it's a VERY GOOD resource to have when you're looking for hikes to do in the area. They list details on how to get there, what to look out for, and even stats of every hike.

Another good resource is a forum called ClubTread.com. Lots of very experienced hikers on there willing to give good advice and feedback. Lots of trip reports as well with pictures and detailed descriptions. The site has a forum and a good listing of trails on the front page, as well as survival guides and things you generally should know.

Enjoy, and stay safe yo :)

edit:

OT, but this weekend I'm heading out to Chilliwack for white river rafting and camping overnight. Totally stoked for it... gunna get drunk as fuck, hahaha