REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #1551
I STILL don't get it

Any thoughts on a decent walk around lens for FX without breaking the bank? I'm using a 28-105 f3.5-4.5 at the moment, it'd be nice to get something with built-in autofocus and maybe weather sealing.
Advertisement
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #1552
(7125 Viewing)

Hi Guys,

Any experience in buying from Aden Camera?

Aden Camera : Digital SLR Camera, Digital Cameras, Toronto Canada Digital Camera Store

I'm buying my gf a Sigma 17-50 and they have a really good price. They beat US pricing!

EDIT: They are also authorize retailer.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #1553
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hi Guys,

Any experience in buying from Aden Camera?

Aden Camera : Digital SLR Camera, Digital Cameras, Toronto Canada Digital Camera Store

I'm buying my gf a Sigma 17-50 and they have a really good price. They beat US pricing!

EDIT: They are also authorize retailer.
You also save PST don't you since they're not in BC?

I almost bought from them but a local store ended up matching the price I was going to get it from Aden for. Other than that, I don't think you'll have any issues aside from having to wait for shipping.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #1554
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
You also save PST don't you since they're not in BC?

I almost bought from them but a local store ended up matching the price I was going to get it from Aden for. Other than that, I don't think you'll have any issues aside from having to wait for shipping.
Were they able to also match the additional savings saved from the PST? I'm too, debating if I should purchase from an authorized Canadian retailer outside of BC.

But the hassle of in case I need to return anything...and have to pay for return shipping myself...I might as well eat up that extra 7% tax.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:06 AM   #1555
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Can't you just go price match at Broadway Camera?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #1556
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Can't you just go price match at Broadway Camera?
You can. But what I was wondering is...for example:

(A) Broadway Camera / Kerrisdale: $2500 + 12% tax = $2800
(B) Store in Ontario: $2000 + 5% tax. Free shipping = $2100

BCam / Kerrisdale would price match to the $2000 price for sure, providing it's a legit Canadian authorize reseller / have stock / etc. But at $2000 + 12% tax, you're looking at (C) $2240. Not huge...but still a difference from the above (B) $2100.

My question was wondering if anyone's been able to successfully price match to...something like $1875 + 12% tax = $2100 to be in line with pricing (B).
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Were they able to also match the additional savings saved from the PST? I'm too, debating if I should purchase from an authorized Canadian retailer outside of BC.

But the hassle of in case I need to return anything...and have to pay for return shipping myself...I might as well eat up that extra 7% tax.
IIRC no they didn't. I paid the extra 7%, but at the time I needed the lens, and the extra 7% wasn't enough to dissuade me from buying locally vs the event of needing to exchange it via shipping.

Sigma has gotten a lot better in the last few years, but they are more likely to have issues compared to OEM. The lens I bought needed a couple of copies to be tried before buying. Unless you're saving a very good chunk of change, I'd try and get the price matched here and pay the extra PST cost.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #1558
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

You could argue the tax issue because you're still saving money by buying online. See if they'll modify to accommodate but even if they don't, which would be understandable, it's worth a shot. Regardless, I'd rather support my local shops. I've been buying from the Broadway camera on W. Broadway for ten years and even if they don't always have the best price I do tend to get some deals that can't be had online and I get treated very well with personalized service and "favors" that you can't get online. If there is a large price discrepancy then I'll go online but most of the time there is not so it's worth it to me.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #1559
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

anyone know the release date of the sigma art 50? mannnn I can't wait anymore =(
Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #1560
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
"Late April"
Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #1561
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

picked up the 50 art last week been testing in studio. Oh man this lens is incredibly sharp even at 1.4 it's amazing.

Downside is the autofocus is very inconsistent, especially on far objects and in low light. Shooting full body models at 4 meters away the lens focuses a foot infront 50% of the time...

dialed +6 in camera seem to help a bit but still sucks... even at f5.6

but when the focus is right, oh my god........
Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #1562

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
picked up the 50 art last week been testing in studio. Oh man this lens is incredibly sharp even at 1.4 it's amazing.

Downside is the autofocus is very inconsistent, especially on far objects and in low light. Shooting full body models at 4 meters away the lens focuses a foot infront 50% of the time...

dialed +6 in camera seem to help a bit but still sucks... even at f5.6

but when the focus is right, oh my god........
That sounds a ton worse than my non-Art 50. I almost never miss focus on anything further than MFD, and my AF gripes are mostly seeking in low-light.

If it's that inconsistent, I'd look into sending it back/exchanging it. If it's that inconsistent, I would imagine that the USB dock won't even work. I could never be happy with a lens that performed that poorly (from what you're describing).
Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #1563
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I was looking to buy a reflector and wondering if anyone has any suggestions or could recommend a particular make/model for me?

Im doing a bit of research on my own and heard quite a few pros and cons for 5-in-1 units and units that are either just sliver/gold.

Id appreciate any replies/comments.
grupyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #1564
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
What are everyone's thoughts on UV filters? Receiving my Touit lens soon and wanna protect my investment/make it easier to clean.

For impact protection will I still need one with a hood lens since the probability of impact is now greatly reduced?

It'd be primarily for reducing dust/dirt/fingerprints. I want to maximize image sharpness and contrast but I not looking to purchase premium filters.

For cleaning i won't be buying bulb blower, will rely on zeiss moisture wipes.

Also for UV filters, do you have one for each lens or do you swap them out each time and slap on a filter adapter?

Cheers.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #1565
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
There are basically 2 school of thoughts -- you are either in the UV filter camp, or you go without.

The no filter camp thinks any additional filters in front of the lens brings additional image quality degradation, and they'd be right. They also think that as long as the photographer isn't a dumba$$, the chance of damaging the front lens element is low enough (when used along with a lens hood) that the extra UV filter isn't really necessary.

The UV filter camp thinks that a good filter will only bring minimal / negligible IQ reductions, and the extra insurance you get from the lens protection far outweights the minimal IC reduction.

Personally, I subscribe to the UV filter camp. On my cheap lenses, I use a $20 Hoya multi-coated filter. On my more expensive lenses, I use a higher grade Hoya MC filter. Each lens gets its own UV filter, and I don't ever take it off unless I am cleaning or using another filter on the lens. I'd like to think that I still get nice looking pictures every now and then.

See for yourself which camp makes more sense, and then just go for it.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #1566
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
There are basically 2 school of thoughts -- you are either in the UV filter camp, or you go without.

The no filter camp thinks any additional filters in front of the lens brings additional image quality degradation, and they'd be right. They also think that as long as the photographer isn't a dumba$$, the chance of damaging the front lens element is low enough (when used along with a lens hood) that the extra UV filter isn't really necessary.

The UV filter camp thinks that a good filter will only bring minimal / negligible IQ reductions, and the extra insurance you get from the lens protection far outweights the minimal IC reduction.

Personally, I subscribe to the UV filter camp. On my cheap lenses, I use a $20 Hoya multi-coated filter. On my more expensive lenses, I use a higher grade Hoya MC filter. Each lens gets its own UV filter, and I don't ever take it off unless I am cleaning or using another filter on the lens. I'd like to think that I still get nice looking pictures every now and then.

See for yourself which camp makes more sense, and then just go for it.
Pretty much this.

I have watched many videos and it seems like they do nothing for actual picture quality.

I am usually pretty responsible with my gear, so I don't feel the need to have an extra protection layer.

However, I do often have other stuff on my camera that would serve the same purpose, when filming I often use a matte box, and when that isn't used I normally still have my ND filter.

When shooting stills I have a circular polarizer on occasionally.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #1567
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
thanks for the tips

even though I take care of my things well, shit happens. i'm OCD so i'll go with a B+W UV MRC just to be on the safe side in exchange for the possibly minute IQ degradation

if I do wanna part ways with the lens down the road it'll also help resale value if the lens element is flawless
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #1568
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
thanks for the tips

even though I take care of my things well, shit happens. i'm OCD so i'll go with a B+W UV MRC just to be on the safe side in exchange for the possibly minute IQ degradation

if I do wanna part ways with the lens down the road it'll also help resale value if the lens element is flawless
Very true.

One day I will smash my lens into something, it may be years from now.

And I will swear your name, and ask myself why I didn't do as you plan to...

Until that day, i'll continue to say, "Fuck it".

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #1569

I took off my UV filters for "protection" about 2 years ago. Hoods provide more coverage without an extra piece of glass in the way. One thing you need to be wary of is ghosting, which usually happens in dark conditions and singular light sources.

If I know I'll need extra protection (at the beach from spray, sports, anything with flying debris) then I'll put it back on. Otherwise, they're off all the time.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #1570
RS Veteran

Trying to decide between the Nikon 300mm f4 AF and the AF-S. Has anyone owned/used both and is it worth investing the extra cost for the AF-S version?
cdnav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #1571

Google gave me this:

The lens now uses the AF-S silent wave motor. This means eerily silent focusing, with a bit more snap than before (read on).
The lens focuses substantially closer (5 feet [1.45m] instead of 8 feet [2.5m]), and has gained two additional elements (still in six groups, though).
The filter mechanism has changed from 39mm drop-in to Nikon's standard 77mm front thread.
The dreaded "put a sock on it" lens hood is gone, replaced by a standard 77mm cap.
The tripod socket has been grown considerably in size (read on, though).
The "girth" of the lens has been enhanced, making the diameter larger (though with little effect on weight), and increasing the size of the width of the focus ring.

I have no on hand experience though.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #1572
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Thanked 1,284 Times in 112 Posts
Where would you guys recommend for me to buy a canon 24-70 mark 1 lense at? Finding it hard to find since the mark 2 came out and that price is just too crazy.
viet604778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #1573

Craigslist, or canon photo on the net buy and sell forum
Old 08-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #1574
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Broadway Camera buy and sell forums
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #1575
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Thanked 1,284 Times in 112 Posts
Can't seem to find a lense. Anyone ever used the Tamron version? Reviews on it?
viet604778 is offline   Reply With Quote