REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #1501
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
went to the broadway location yesterday. really love the kindliness of the older servers who have been there for a while. Swapped me a miyagi when we noticed it looked like 3/4 smaller than the rest with zero questions.

the hostesses are cute too , a few of them actually
Advertisement

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #1502
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Went to Robson today after a semi-long hiatus.

Did the portion size for the <fish> inferno go down in the last few months? I could've sworn it was 9-10 pieces (because I would think about how great of a deal it was being almost $1 a piece), and my fiancee and I were shocked to see that we received 7 pieces for the toro inferno tonight. Not a complaint, but rather just curious.

For a place that doesn't really "specialize" in ramen, it was quite good especially on a cold day like today. The rest of our meal was quite good as well.

I remember at least a year ago you still had a deep-fried roll that had some cream cheese in it. I didn't see it on the menu today, so did that disappear? I was REALLY craving that for some reason today lol
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #1503
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Went to Robson today after a semi-long hiatus.

Did the portion size for the <fish> inferno go down in the last few months? I could've sworn it was 9-10 pieces (because I would think about how great of a deal it was being almost $1 a piece), and my fiancee and I were shocked to see that we received 7 pieces for the toro inferno tonight. Not a complaint, but rather just curious.

For a place that doesn't really "specialize" in ramen, it was quite good especially on a cold day like today. The rest of our meal was quite good as well.

I remember at least a year ago you still had a deep-fried roll that had some cream cheese in it. I didn't see it on the menu today, so did that disappear? I was REALLY craving that for some reason today lol
Thanks for coming and good observation!
The Inferno did used to be 8 pieces but we recently changed to cut it into 7 slightly larger pieces, the size of the whole roll is just a tad shorter than before.

Infact we actually did hire a Japan trained "ramen" chef a few months ago, he used to work at a famous ramen house but wanted to expand his repertoire. We have him here now making an original ramen recipe from scratch and helping us cook the other noodle and rice dishes!

The cream cheese roll you are referring to is probably the "Unachee" roll which had unagi as well? It was rolled up and deep fried. We don't have it on the menu anymore but ask us next time and we could possibly make it for you anyway!
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #1504
Ebisu Boss

On an as non-biased note as possible, I used to love going to Santouka. I feel they have the best ramen in Vancouver hands down, but ever since we have this new chef making the ramen for us. I think it's comparable so I don't feel the urge to walk down the block anymore.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #1505
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Beef tongue... I miss beef tongue...
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #1506
Ebisu Boss

Haha alright alright, next special menu I'll put it back on for you!
Probably after Dine-Out Vancouver as we'll be featuring a 3-course meal for that too
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #1507
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Thanks for coming and good observation!
The Inferno did used to be 8 pieces but we recently changed to cut it into 7 slightly larger pieces, the size of the whole roll is just a tad shorter than before.

Infact we actually did hire a Japan trained "ramen" chef a few months ago, he used to work at a famous ramen house but wanted to expand his repertoire. We have him here now making an original ramen recipe from scratch and helping us cook the other noodle and rice dishes!

The cream cheese roll you are referring to is probably the "Unachee" roll which had unagi as well? It was rolled up and deep fried. We don't have it on the menu anymore but ask us next time and we could possibly make it for you anyway!
That's the one! I totally blanked out and my fiancee thought I was trippin balls lol. Thanks for the info and I'll definitely inquire about ordering it off-menu next time I drop by
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:37 AM   #1508
RS controls my life!

What kind of healthy rice options do you offer? I know you call one of them "imperial rice" but that's just a type of fried rice that come in different types, no? Do you have red/black/brown rice?

Also, great to hear about your ramen. I love Santouka and Kintaro, so I'd be definitely willing to try out what you're describing
Gazorcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #1509
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazorcoop View Post
What kind of healthy rice options do you offer? I know you call one of them "imperial rice" but that's just a type of fried rice that come in different types, no? Do you have red/black/brown rice?

Also, great to hear about your ramen. I love Santouka and Kintaro, so I'd be definitely willing to try out what you're describing
The "Imperial Rice" is actually our own special blend of brown and black rice, it is VERY healthy. It isn't fried at all

I would recommend the Shio (light and aromatic) or the Spicy Lava (careful it IS spicy, unlike the typical Kara-Ramen). I asked our ramen dude to make it spicy(er) than anywhere else in Vancouver to give it a real kick.

Our house Tan Tan Ramen is our Japanese version of the traditional Taiwanese "Dan Dan Mien". Thick peanut sauce, not your typical Ramen soup. The Miso is good too but it doesn't stand out compared to the others, it's more of the "safe" bet.

Last edited by Obsideon; 01-06-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added picture
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #1510
VLS Head Mod

Came in with RS and awesomeness as usual! Thanks for everything Deon
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #1511
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Tonkotsu takes a lot of time and space.
You're not doing tonkotsu are you?

I would love to sit down one day and pick his brain
Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #1512
Ebisu Boss

Why yes it is Tonkotsu based
He barely gives any of his secret recipes to us lol!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #1513
Ebisu Boss

Our DINE-OUT MENU is out!

Dinner Menu Price: $28

APPETIZER
Ahi Tuna Tataki
Seared Red Ahi Tuna Sashimi on organic greens served with house vinaigrette.

or

Fresh Lobster Salad
Blanched Nova Scotia lobster and thinly shaved daikon served with fusion light Italian ponzu dressing

or

Assorted Aburi Sushi Set
Salmon, Hamachi, Toro, Saba and Hotate Scallop sushi seared and dressed with unique toppings

ENTREE
Cedar Smoked Duck
Lightly smoked Cedar Duck breast wrapped in prosciutto ham, asparagus, enoki mushroom served with orange slices and sauteed potatoes

or

Rack of Lamb
Roasted rack of lamb in balsamic wasabi reduction served with bonito-dashi infused wild rice risotto and fried shredded potato nest

or

Alaskan Sablefish
Savoury smoked Black Cod marinated in saikyo-miso sauce served with wild rice, asparagus and mashed bacon sweet potato

DESSERT
Toasted Banana Bread
Served with vanilla ice cream, homemade chocolate, yam chips and fresh chocolate dipped strawberries

or

Matcha Mousse with Azuki Whip
Homemade premium green tea matcha mousse and chocolate shavings served with our special red bean whipped cream

or

Irish Magic
Deep fried banana sweetened by red bean with a scoop of vanilla ice cream drizzled with Bailey's Irish Cream
Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #1514
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Took the GF here last week to try out the ramen, the kimchi ramen was literally one of the best I've ever had. The down side of this was that this was the GFs first time ever trying ramen and instantly fell in love with it. Tried taking her to other places and she was not impressed and only wants to go to Ebisu for ramen, which is super far for me
Past:'06 Civic Si

Last edited by bluejays; 01-08-2015 at 11:42 AM.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #1515
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Does the ramen portion size differ between lunch and dinner, lunch being approx. $1/$2 cheaper.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #1516
Ebisu Boss

bluejay that is awesome to hear and thank you, sucks for you though lol

TOS'd the portion is the same, there are a couple things extra in the dinner (example the Kimchi Ramen for lunch doesn't have ajitama soft egg included)
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #1517
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Hi Obsideon,
Love the tan-tan ramen, ajitama..not so much.
Just curious, I don't see a kaedama or extra noodle option I was wondering if you are going to have one in the future. I drop every now and then for a quick meal before/after work but I never get full. I know its not a ramen place..but..couldn't hurt to ask
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #1518
Ebisu Boss

Haha you didn't like the egg? I personally don't like it when it's boiled to the point of flakey or solid yolk. I love it still "wet".
Oh I didn't put the option in the menu but you can definitely get extra noodles, it's only 3 bucks.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:32 AM   #1519

I find it not flavourful enough although my gf think its enough
Also, the couple times I had it here I thought it wasn't runny/wet enough. The one I had today around 5 was pretty overcooked
Imgur
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #1520
Ebisu Boss

Ooooh! That is definitely not runny enough! Sorry about that I will go talk to the chefs right now and thank you for the picture reference! Speaks a thousand words!
Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #1521
Ebisu Boss

So I spoke to the chef, some people do prefer it a bit more cooked (can't imagine why lol) but however I told him that runny is always best (IMHO) so he will give it a bit more flavour and make it more runny.

Although next time if you find your egg not done to your preference please let the staff know and we can change it for you right away!
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #1522

Much improved
Old 01-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #1523
Ebisu Boss

Dine-Out Vancouver 2016!

Dinner Menu Price: $30

APPETIZER

Ahi Tuna Tartare
Fresh marinated red tuna, local uni, Japanese caviar, avocado, gobo chips, pickled shallots, chives and ginger dressing.

or

Lobster & Crab Motoyaki Bruschetta
Fresh Nova Scotia Lobster, BC Dungeness crab, zucchini and button mushrooms with Ebisu sauce on rosemary garlic infused olive oil baguette

ENTREE

Applesmoked Sablefish
Marinated Alaskan Black Cod smoked with apple chips, Black Tiger shrimp, broad beans, shiitake, and braised daikon in bonito yuzu broth

or

Roasted Duck & Foie Gras
Fraser Valley Duck Breast, Teriyaki-style Foie Gras and capers with spinach, shiitake, edamame in miso broth risotto

DESSERT

Kabocha Creme Brulee
Japanese Ebisu squash served with mochi puffs and matcha chocolate whip

or

Black and White Tofu Cheese Cake
Black sesame and silky tofu layered cream cheese cake with cookie crumble crust

This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #1524
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Here right now! Truffle fries came out a bit bland and it was remade completely to our satisfaction. Thanks!
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #1525
Ebisu Boss

Thanks!

Here's a sneak peek of our other dishes that are launching for Dine-Out 2016!

Lobster & Crab Motoyaki Bruschetta
Fresh Nova Scotia Lobster, BC Dungeness crab, zucchini and button mushrooms with Ebisu sauce on rosemary garlic infused olive oil baguette

Kabocha Creme Brulee
Japanese Ebisu squash served with mochi puffs and matcha chocolate whip
This post thanked by: