REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #76
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
the first stock i bought

http://hk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=1...=on&z=m&q=b&c=

starting price was at 7.73...13.8% in one month.
I bought a PS3 right afterward
Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #77
I STILL don't get it

Re: Re: How much do you have to make to be considered making good money by age?

Quote:
Originally posted by SlySi
In a perfect world.....
in WOW
Old 01-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #78
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally posted by sexyaccord
this thread depresses me!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #79
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tapioca
Well, if we compare how much work we each do in a week, I probably come up well on top since I don't do a whole lot at work. I haven't moved in yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be in by March.
You probably have me beat on that first point, but bear in mind that I have no commuting expenses whatsoever (save that gas!) and I get to write off "business expenses" Good luck with the condo: it seems that thing keeps getting pushed further and further back. I like the neighbourhood though.
Rhetorical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:25 AM   #80
Need my Daily Fix of RS

It's not about how much you make (although this helps!) as what you do with it.
Many people with a high net income, have a low net worth compared to what it could be.

Also, there are many other factors to a job other than wage/salary. Many of them have been listed already. If you don't work for yourself all your doing by making more money is paying significantly more tax. If you have a skill you need to get off the payroll!

I really don't feel like getting into it any further than this, but if you are interested, check out "The Millionaire Next Door", it's a bit of a boring read compared to the mainstream, but interesting.

And dont think this is coming from some dude making little cash and trying to compensate. I'm 21 and after wage (electrical) and investments I probably grossed just under 70 last year.
loc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:30 AM   #81
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally posted by Raioh
To echo what lowprofile said about a professional career, here are some examples.

I am a computer engineer so my examples come from that field. These are real starting salaries from some of the people that I know from school. All they had was a 4 year education plus 1-2 years of co-op experiences. The average graduating age was 23 years old (some 22, some 24, mostly 23).

U.S. Examples in US dollars:

Microsoft, Redmond, Wash., ~20 new hires at 74-80k

Amazon, Seattle, Wash., ~5 people, 80k

Google, Yahoo, eBay in Bay Area, California, ~25 people at 76-82k

Bay Area semiconductor companies, ~10 people at 72-76k

Beyond my field, there are professions like accounting and actuarial sciences that you can graduate from in 4-5 years at university.

From people I know personally, accounting grads had starting salary from 60-85k in Toronto. Actuarial sciences grad I know had starting salaries from 60k in Toronto to 85k in Boston.
I've been living in the Bay Area for 2 years now, and although I don't get paid nearly that much, I totally agree that it IS indeed true.

HOWEVER (And it's a VERY VERY big however) housing in the Bay Area is one of the most expensive in THE WORLD, so it's kind of offset. I was reading last year on places with the top 10 highest housing costs in the USA, and 4 of them were from the Bay Area, and San Francisco was ranked #2 on that list, I believe.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 AM   #82
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally posted by Sketch
high-five; want to go make fun of UBC grads who work at starbucks?
I'm a UBC grad. Fuck you.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #83
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sketch
high-five; want to go make fun of UBC grads who work at starbucks?
Hey Sketch,

I am a UBC grad as well, say what you want, but you know deep inside you regret not going to a good post secondary school.....I love guys who have to overcompensate.....even if you make minimum wage, being educated stays with you for life....post secondary is not about making more money........all I can say is I am doing what I want to do career wise...can you say the same?.....maybe you can response on your 5 min coffee break.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #84
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
In the end we all die (hopefully not a painful one).

Rich to me is having one of each...... children I mean. A boy and a girl. A happy marriage, kids who are doing well, good family ties, etc.

Things money can't buy.

Let's see what else...........

A friend who would not bat an eyelid to put their life on the line for you.

Respect from your colleagues.

Knowing you have made a difference in other people's (stangers included) lives.

I used to measure my success by the amount of babes I've bagged, the type of car I drove, the amount of fights I've won, the amount of money I had in my wallet, winning every competition, etc. After years of being a complete asshole, I've learned it's not enough and never will be enough to have material things. Sounds corny, but in the end when you are on your death bed, it's not how much money you had. It helps your loved ones if you did, of course.

Anyway, this is for those people who are depressed about this thread. I know the thread topic is not about this sort of stuff......................

Your health and being at peace with yourself (spiritual well being) is most imporatant.

Sorry for the off topic intrusion...
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #85
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally posted by death_blossom
Originally posted by sexyaccord
this thread depresses me!

Last edited by Mugen EvOlutioN; 01-26-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #86
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Z3guy
Hey Sketch,

I am a UBC grad as well, say what you want, but you know deep inside you regret not going to a good post secondary school.....I love guys who have to overcompensate.....even if you make minimum wage, being educated stays with you for life....post secondary is not about making more money........all I can say is I am doing what I want to do career wise...can you say the same?.....maybe you can response on your 5 min coffee break.
To be fair, Sketch was probably directing his jab at the so-called "typical Arts student" who did nothing during their time at university. (For the record, I did graduate with a BA and I did not end up working at Starbucks)

But, I do agree with what you've said about the 'priceless' value of an education. These days, I think most students and their parents have lost sight of the purpose of an education.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #87
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Nice post 89blkcivic.
loc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #88
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Z3guy
even if you make minimum wage, being educated stays with you for life....post secondary is not about making more money........
Bravo!!

Post secondary education is an experience in itself. A well learned person, no matter what field they have chosen, is ahead in life.

Not everybody can afford it, which is too bad. I enjoyed University life a lot and miss it. In my day, you could get in with a C+ average. Good thing I went back then......
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #89
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 89blkcivic
Bravo!!

Post secondary education is an experience in itself. A well learned person, no matter what field they have chosen, is ahead in life.

Not everybody can afford it, which is too bad. I enjoyed University life a lot and miss it. In my day, you could get in with a C+ average. Good thing I went back then......
hahaha, hey 89blkcivic, I am the same...I am glad I went to UBC in the 90s...when I got into UBC, the criteria was a 2.75 avg...which is bascially a little above a C+ avg....there is no way in hell they would let me in now....I believe you need a A average to have a chance today....anyways, I have a family now...but when I look back at my unversity experience....as the saying goes...."they are the best 4 years of your life"...life is great now and I wouldn't change it.....but in hindsight, you never realize how carefree and easy going university really is......if you don't want to go to class, you don't.....I throughly enjoyed wasting many hours in Sedgewick (spelling???) library chit chatting.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #90
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Hehe you guys are really dating yourselves!

But great post, 89blkcivic. It's something I try to live my life by.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #91
Ubereem Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by 89blkcivic
but in the end when you are on your death bed, it's not how much money you had. It helps your loved ones if you did, of course.

Which is why we all strive to make the most money possible. We want the best for our kids.

Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #92
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

your best bet to see where you are at in society is http://www.statscan.ca -- you can see your age demographic average income.

Also, one must take into account debts and investments. Schooling, skills training, RRSP's etc. are all "investments" -- so judging at this young age strictly on income is specious.

In the 20-30 age bracket the averages seem to sit around $26 000 - 32 000/year gross income, depending on your region.
Garett92Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #93
A
Need to Seek Professional Help

that's veryyyy low
A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #94
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

26-32k after tax? or before?
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #95
A
Need to Seek Professional Help

he said gross, that's before.
A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #96
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
There are lots of people in this world that would shovel dog poo all day long if they were paid six figures to do it. I'm not one of those people.

Based on the benchmarks set in this thread, I don't make very good money at all for my age (yet). But I enjoy my job tremendously, and I know I won't be working here forever, and the money is only going to increase over time.

My last job paid me lots more, but I didn't have any passion for it like I do now. You need that passion to motivate yourself to go to work everyday. Money alone won't do that for me. So I quit after 3 months.

It's all about perspective.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #97
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

when I said $26 000 - 32 000 those are the averages for those in their late 20's/early 30's in Canada -- depending on region. That takes into account all workers.

"Good money" is a relative term, but $32 000+ puts you above the median....

Personally I think in your late 20's... $40 000 - 60 000 is good money, but it all depends on your career. I have friends in medical school who make $10 000/yr but in 2 years they will be starting at about $90 000 - 100 000/yr.

GC
Garett92Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #98
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

26,000-32,000 isn't a low *average*. Take into account how many people work at grocery stores, dept stores etc. Not everyone is educated or trained. One would think everyone would go out and dig themselves out of that sort of situation, but there will never be a shortage of completely untrained laborers. Not all of them are p/t students.

I resent the UBC comment, and I reserve the right to take an equal jab at trades once the floodgates have opened. I will never regret my education even if my field may make less than my best friend's who went into plumbing. If you are educated, you can tell who went to school that taught you things beyond how to repair a leak, and who did not by the way they speak. To many, it makes an instant first impression. I've met several wonderful, educated women that may date, but will not marry a plumber regardless of his salary. If you feel that is very closed-minded, fair enough, but keep in mind you are probably being hypocritical.

This is not to say I disrespect anyone in trades at all (on the contrary, many of them are far more level-headed than my UBC peers and myself), but people who ignorantly disregard UBC graduates as faux-educated Starbucks baristas deserve to hear this.
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 AM   #99
Ubereem Mod

It's a job, a field. UBC or trade. as long as you enjoy it. Thats all it matters.

To some people, making a boat load is enjoyment, to some it's making enough but loving that job.

Perspective. If everyone in this world was University grad(like myself). this world would go into the shit hole. If everyone went into trade, this world would be 1 dumb fucking place.

No education no studies, no studies no technology no advancement.

No trade, no buildings, no buildings no shelter, everyone lives in boxes.

Perspective people!!
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #100
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally posted by titillateme
26,000-32,000 isn't a low *average*. Take into account how many people work at grocery stores, dept stores etc. Not everyone is educated or trained. One would think everyone would go out and dig themselves out of that sort of situation, but there will never be a shortage of completely untrained laborers. Not all of them are p/t students.

I resent the UBC comment, and I reserve the right to take an equal jab at trades once the floodgates have opened. I will never regret my education even if my field may make less than my best friend's who went into plumbing. If you are educated, you can tell who went to school that taught you things beyond how to repair a leak, and who did not by the way they speak. To many, it makes an instant first impression. I've met several wonderful, educated women that may date, but will not marry a plumber regardless of his salary. If you feel that is very closed-minded, fair enough, but keep in mind you are probably being hypocritical.

This is not to say I disrespect anyone in trades at all (on the contrary, many of them are far more level-headed than my UBC peers and myself), but people who ignorantly disregard UBC graduates as faux-educated Starbucks baristas deserve to hear this.
Oh god, where do I start with this one...

What is it with the young people these days that believe your typical trades worker is as dimwitted as a fast food employee?

Many of the trades require a vast amount of training and expertise that far exceeds your average arts graduate who went to waste his/her time to learn about basket weaving 101 for 4 years.

From what ive seen, a large percentage of university students are still mommy/daddy funded who quite often have no real life experience, entering university with delusions of grandeur. Often those are the same ones who rag on trades people as being complete fucking idiots who couldnt "amount" to anything else.

Those so called "intelligent and beautiful" women that you describe would fall directly into the stereotype mentioned above, so sheltered from the world.

They would rather save face and marry another basket weaving graduate than stay with a "lowly" plumber, who would have far more respectability in most peoples eyes. It takes very hard work, determination, character and a high level of self-discipline to become a great tradesman. Im not so sure that your average university grad has these same skills.