REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 11-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #151
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

hey 7seven

Just wondering how did you get into private security consulting? Seems like a very interesting job!
Advertisement
Candy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #152
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Candy604
hey 7seven

Just wondering how did you get into private security consulting? Seems like a very interesting job!
Quote:
Originally posted by 7seven
Well peronally for me, I first started out working for Jive Records in their corporate security division back in the day, the starting pay was only $40k USD per year. Thru that I met a lot of actors/artists and such and now I'm privately contracted.

As for education, well I'm trained in shoot/submission fighting, pankration, bjj, Jiu-jitsu, kick boxing and boxing. I also have firearms training with my HSC, CCW, EFP permits. I also train privately once every 3 months with an active LAPD SWAT lieutenant and a retired Mossad agent in tactics and weapons as a refresher.

But you're right, if you want to just be a bodyguard, u could be just a big guy and meet the right person in a gym but if want to be a private security consultant and run things, you'll need some kind of background and the right kind of personal skill to be able to get the hollywood types to trust you with their lives and secrets.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:55 PM   #153

hey thanks gumby!
Candy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #154
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Re: Re: How much do you have to make to be considered making good money by age?

Quote:
Originally posted by Trinity
More likely...

19 to 22 - 25k to 35k
23 to 26 - 35k to 40k
27 to 33 - 40k to 60k
34 to 37 - 60k to 80k
38+ - 100k+

Entry level jobs... You're lucky if you start at 30k/year (or approx $15 an hour).

If you are a natural salesperson, then yes, it is entirely possible to make over 100k/year with commission. However, getting a job that ISN'T in sales that pays you 70k/year... You're looking at high powered jobs that require a lot of business background, maturity and education/experience that most 22 year olds don't have.
I have to agree with what Trinity has said here..

the numbers the OP has posted are numbers that are attainable...but are WELL ABOVE AVERAGE.

Trinity's numbers are probably closer to reality...

That and yeah...its not out of the ordinary for someone in sales to make the kind of money the op has posted...hell there are a couple 23/24 year olds in the company i'm working at that are account managers that make close between $80-$100K..

Typically though..if its a non sales job, its gonna be tough to make the numbers the OP has set out...(possible...but not common)
nlinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #155
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

if everything goes as planned ill be a journeyman electrician by the time im 22 which will put me over the first bracket by a bit
Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #156
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally posted by RabidRat
Haha I did my first co-op at a software development company, and they worked us damn hard for little money. Working 9am-10pm was the norm, and working the odd saturday (I managed to dodge this though) was not uncommon. I feel bad for compsci grads. =(

edit: and we were paid by salary so there's no such thing as OT
You'll only do that if you decide to be a wage slave. There are plenty of software jobs out there that are 8hrs / day, 5 days a week. I've made it clear in job interviews that I will work 40 hours / week and that's it. I might show up for weird hours but I will always put my 40 in. After that, it's my own time.
DownLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #157
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally posted by nlinkz
I have to agree with what Trinity has said here..

the numbers the OP has posted are numbers that are attainable...but are WELL ABOVE AVERAGE.

Trinity's numbers are probably closer to reality...
you also have to remember that all of trinity's numbers are also "well above average", because the median salary in canada is under 30k. but none of us want to be "average", do we?
Rhetorical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #158
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

BUMP!!
Bringing this back from the dead.

Curious to know what you guys think would be good money according to age today.
With the recession, inflation etc ever since this thread started, what do you guys think are the figures now.
Personally, I know there's people 19-22 out there making the numbers OP mentioned but how in the world would a full time student be able to come close to that.
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #159
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Sorry guys but another bump from the dead. I'm taking a year off school next year cause I don't have much motivation anymore and I have to find out what I really want to do I'm the future. I'm either going into general studies or I'm most likely gonna work full time. Say how much would you expect someone 19-22 to make if they work full time for a year? I'm not expecting much but Im just curious to see people's responds.
Tia
Posted via RS Mobile
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #160
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
Aww yeah Making 500 a month and im 15
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #161
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,806 Times in 215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Aww yeah Making 500 a month and im 15
LOL .. where?
AlphaKappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #162

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
$23 / hour as a lifeguard and water safety swimming instructor
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #163
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,806 Times in 215 Posts
^ ya but there's so many lifeguards in richmond and ur not working full time
AlphaKappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #164

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKappa View Post
LOL .. where?
k not 500, about 400ish at mcdicks LOL

Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #165
Banned (ABWS)

should be making at least 35k if you are working full time and can speak english well

should make 50k after 6 years with the company
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #166

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
$23 / hour as a lifeguard and water safety swimming instructor
you need to be at least 17 to guard a pool by yourself if i recall.. but you can get hired at 16. at least in richmond. and you can't get anything close to 'fulltime' unless you've worked there for like 3-4+ years.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #167

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
you need to be at least 17 to guard a pool by yourself if i recall.. but you can get hired at 16. at least in richmond. and you can't get anything close to 'fulltime' unless you've worked there for like 3-4+ years.
the process takes a while, tons of screening, to be even qualified u gotta take bronze cross, nls pool and waterpark, standard first aid, AWSI, WSI, and if u wna go deeper, u do LSI ($7/hour increase in pay), and fitness theory. And on top of that, more volunteers at the pool to look better on resume. Once you apply, you have to go through screening, then an entrance exam, fitness exam, as well as an exam on how you teach a lesson. After that, once you pass and are hired, you must take another course, reimbursed by the facility, for another training course. It's so dam overwhelming...
and yes 16 is the age u can guard but u must be with another guard, 17 you can guard yourself. I believe in some places in Canada, 16 year olds are allowed to guard by themselves, with lower pre-requisites too. Depends on the pool, facility, the number of patrons, and risk level.
Full-time is pretty hard to get but if you've been working for at least 2-3 years or so, you can be contracted, but most of my friends who are contracted prefer to be paid by the hour, cause the pay is higher. However, you don't get the fringe benefits.
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #168
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,336 Times in 967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu13 View Post
should be making at least 35k if you are working full time and can speak english well

should make 50k after 6 years with the company
you know what, this is what I thought when I stared with a company.

Just because a person is doing well at a job, doesn't mean you'll keep on getting raises. Just because you have been there for 10 years, doesn't mean nothing and for sure it doesn't mean you'll get a new title / promotion. Of course this is very different depending what company you're working for but you get the jist.

i found this out the hard way. People don't realize you don't get raises every year and working for 10 years, doesn't mean you'll be from 30K and turn into 70k when you retire from a comapny.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #169
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
lol, i'm 23 and I'm making 15k/yr. I'm screwed
Yeah bro " SCREWED" but atleast you make an honest living..
Compared to others here, u know wat i mean.
Posted via RS Mobile
virus_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #170
The Fiesta Dipper

Imo in today's world you need to be grosing 50k a year on average just to be able to live comfortably ie. Mortgage, Car Payment, Insurance, Electricity,Fuel, Groceries, Cable/Internet etc. All these things add up fast. I'm 24 now and haven't grossed less than 50k annualy for the last four years and I just managed to save up enough in the last 18 months to buy a condo. Furthermore even thought I'll likely grose close to 70k this year I still don't think it's good enough. The more money you make the more money you spend!
Posted via RS Mobile
E_Fahlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #171
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty_Capone View Post
Imo in today's world you need to be grosing 50k a year on average just to be able to live comfortably ie. Mortgage, Car Payment, Insurance, Electricity,Fuel, Groceries, Cable/Internet etc. All these things add up fast. I'm 24 now and haven't grossed less than 50k annualy for the last four years and I just managed to save up enough in the last 18 months to buy a condo. Furthermore even thought I'll likely grose close to 70k this year I still don't think it's good enough. The more money you make the more money you spend!
Posted via RS Mobile
What is it that you do?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #172
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Completely agree Shifty. I'm 21 grossing about $46k/year.
Only took 1 year of school and got into the right company. Now looking at taking night courses/distance studies to expand my knowledge.
For me it's not bad, considering I'm living at home and saving up alot per month, but it is true that the more money you make, the more money you will likely spend.

Overall I feel the OP's figures were a tad high (5k per bracket) for GOOD money..
Trinity's figures were more in a average take-home bracket.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #173
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737! View Post
Sorry guys but another bump from the dead. I'm taking a year off school next year cause I don't have much motivation anymore and I have to find out what I really want to do I'm the future. I'm either going into general studies or I'm most likely gonna work full time. Say how much would you expect someone 19-22 to make if they work full time for a year? I'm not expecting much but Im just curious to see people's responds.
Tia
Posted via RS Mobile
If I could recommend 1 thing to anyone, don't just take "General Studies" in university. It's almost as bad as taking Psychology as a major and ending up no where once you grad. (Seen this happen to 3 people now) General studies is pretty much a waste of money, figure out a plan and stick by it. Get through school quicker and it'll be cheaper. =P
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #174
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Good to know I'm 21 and making more than OP's suggested brackets.. though I still disagree with the numbers.

Not to patronize, but I'm making more than all my close peers and parents, but it really depends on your work.

I know people who are 20 and clearing 200k a year.. but they're working in Ft. McMurray.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #175
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

How do u guys make all that money? I'm grossing under 30k. I guess there are way too many CAs out there

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote