REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #1051
Hyde's Understudy

The GMT II is the ceramic bezel with bigger lugs and I don't believe it came in pepsi color?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #1052
I STILL don't get it

^Correct! But it may be a GMT Master II with the thinner lugs. I think for that model it doesn't use hacking seconds in order to preserve accuracy (pilot's watch).

I think for the rolex lover (who can afford more than one), a pepsi dial is a must!
notjustforshow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #1053
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
^I have my Rolex with the green dial..
I really really want a pepsi dial watch, but can't afford another Sub just yet.. might get a Seiko

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #1054
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustforshow View Post
^Correct! But it may be a GMT Master II with the thinner lugs. I think for that model it doesn't use hacking seconds in order to preserve accuracy (pilot's watch).

I think for the rolex lover (who can afford more than one), a pepsi dial is a must!
I always though tthe thinner lugs is GMT 1
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #1055
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
I always though tthe thinner lugs is GMT 1
Posted via RS Mobile
Not a Rolex expert but they had GMT Master version which is a flatter case from what I have seen. Seems it is a different line starting at 2004? Meant to be something that looks like a sub but thinner profile.

I guess this is why there are rolex collectors, so many options...but to the untrained eye (including mine), they can look very similar.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #1056
Hyde's Understudy

^ true that, plus im no expert.

I just know the GMT II is the new one with ceramic and thicker lugs,etc.

Anything before that is just a GMT I.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #1057
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daval View Post
Feeler: Rolex GMT master II Pepsi, bought it in 2006, box and certificate included, 85% new.
Now this is confusing to me, since the year was 2006, the pepsi should have been the GMT I, GMT II was later years and i believe was only black which i saw in jewelers.

I know this b/c after i bought the new subC, i was shopping for a new GMT II for my fiance/wife. But she wanted more dressy and opted for the newest 41mm DJ II lol

edit: Im actually mistaken. I was thinking about the GMT II Ceramic all along only comes in black. If it is just a pepsi GMT II non-ceramic, then yes that came out way earlier.
My bad!

Last edited by BlackZRoadster; 09-30-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #1058
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i agree with having a pepsi sub
that plus if possible, a double red sea dweller (if you can find one)
moky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #1059
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
^ true that, plus im no expert.

I just know the GMT II is the new one with ceramic and thicker lugs,etc.

Anything before that is just a GMT I.
I'd say you are expert enough, since you know the years, and which features should be present. Probably call out a replica from 5 ft away lol.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #1060
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
notjustforshow said it. watches are different than wallets or purses. when you buy one, other collectors/enthusiasts will want to see and talk about your watch. you're just gonna feel embarrassed trying to pretend that its real. or cheap admitting its not.
I watched that situation just a week ago. A group of friends and I were at dinner, and most of the guys had decent watches. The new bf of one of the girls in our group was wearing a Daytona, and when the women started talking amongst themselves, the guys were complimenting his watch and talking about year models etc. He was trying to shy away and then got really nervous. We realized it was a fake and stopped bugging him. I personally don't care if a person wears a fake or not, but obviously it really sucked to be him at the time.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #1061
Hyde's Understudy

^ ouch, must have been more embarrassing for the gf I bet.

My co worker is a huge watch fan and hes never shy to ask to try and see the watch in his hand. It's not that he wants to see if it's fake or not but he has a genuine interest in watches. Most times once you have held a real one, you can feel the fake one just doesn't feel right.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #1062
PJ

I couldn't help myself. This whole replica thing really drives me nuts. Here's my rant.

Anyone who knows anything about watches can easily tell by the look and feel of the watch.
Even the first time I saw that camera phone picture of that Hublot on page 30, I knew something wasn't quite right.

It's really funny and ironic behind the reasons why people buy fakes.. It makes zero sense.

-You have a fake watch to impress people who don't know anything about watches.. which means even if you had the real deal, they'd have no idea what the hell it is anyway.
-On the other hand, if you showed someone who does know watches.. they'd know it's fake in a heartbeat.

So really how do you win with a fake? Other than flashing it to passer-by's for less than 2 seconds. If you're this shallow and absolutely need these 1-second glances from people, then you have serious issues.

Essentially, the only thing that can happen is embarassment when a true watch enthusiast starts talking to you about your watch.. you'd get more respect with a $200 Seiko. It's mind-blowing how many people spend $100-500 on a fake when they could've gotten something more respectable and authentic for that price.

And for people who use the "like the style, but don't want to pay 5,000" excuse, go to Fossil and get a generic one with "that style" for $100.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #1063
Hyde's Understudy

^I would thank you more than once if i could.

I worked hard and rewarded myself with a watch for the good year i had. It sucks when i see people wearing the replicated/fake version of it and wearing it with pride like its the authentic thing.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #1064
PJ

Ask them a couple simple questions about it.
Most of them don't even know simple details about them.
I bet the answer you'll get is "I'm not sure.. I got it as a gift."
That's when you reply "Wow, a $6000 watch is quite the gift."

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 10-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #1065
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
agreed about ur fossil comment but they dont cover everything (although there's a plethora of watch companies around the world that make their own watches which imitate other styles) the rest of it u're assuming too much imo (on why someone would get a fake)

and when it comes to the gift comment it starts to sound like you're butt hurt/jelly of what ppl get as gifts

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-01-2011 at 03:27 PM.
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #1066
PJ

Fossil is just an example. People who say they "like the style" as a reason to get a replica, are kidding themselves. There's plenty of watches that look like "that style." Hell, I have some random black Fossil because I just wanted a black diver-looking watch, but couldn't afford another Rolex.

And I guess that's really up to the individual. Would you rather have a replica Rolex or an authentic Seiko? You can't say that the answer doesn't tell you something about the person.

Not hurt/jelly at all. Just a little unrealistic to receive a several-thousand dollar watch and know nothing about it. But hey, I could be wrong. It could happen. Just my opinion/rant.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 10-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #1067
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I think PJ's arguments are sound. What do you think he is assuming?

If people buy fake watches they can justify it all they want to themselves but in the end they do it to impress people and get admiration and respect. However, the only thing they really get is the opposite.

And the gift comment makes sense too; people buy fakes and when called out they make excuses and say it was just a gift so they don't look bad but seriously, who gives someone a fake watch as a gift?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #1068
Hyde's Understudy

Buying a fake watch is just wrong IMHO. It's wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin. I will not win an argument with someone that wears fakes, because they can say what they want on why they wear a fake.

At the end of the day, i would rather rock a generic no name $10 watch than a fake that was given to me. But really, who gives fake watches as a gift?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #1069
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Fossil is just an example.
no no i got it, i agree on the fossil remark and there are a lot of brands that make watches in the same style as other watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
I think PJ's arguments are sound. What do you think he is assuming?

If people buy fake watches they can justify it all they want to themselves but in the end they do it to impress people and get admiration and respect.
exactly my point... how can you assume someones buying a fake to "impress people and get admiration and respect." ?

one of my close friends buys lots of watches but he keeps it @ a low budget he'll get fakes too and when someone says "nice watch" the first thing he says is "thanks, its fake though" he just doesn't care

Quote:
And the gift comment makes sense too; people buy fakes and when called out they make excuses and say it was just a gift so they don't look bad but seriously, who gives someone a fake watch as a gift?
ah but see this is where the arguments are different now PJ was saying someone who doesn't know about the details of their watch or its price because it was a gift are wearing fake watches
that's different from saying someone trying to get out of admitting they bought a fake by saying its a gift

and as for "who gives someone a fake watch as a gift?" lol douchebags do (aka one of my aunts husband a surgeon at that)
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #1070
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

exactly my point... how can you assume someones buying a fake to "impress people and get admiration and respect." ?

one of my close friends buys lots of watches but he keeps it @ a low budget he'll get fakes too and when someone says "nice watch" the first thing he says is "thanks, its fake though" he just doesn't care
He only says that when he is found out but is happy to take compliments from people that do not know anything. It cannot be that he bought it just because it looks good as there are cheaper options that have the same look but without the brand like others have mentioned. I think that even if I just assume that people that buy fakes want respect it is still a pretty accurate assumption.

Quote:
ah but see this is where the arguments are different now PJ was saying someone who doesn't know about the details of their watch or its price because it was a gift are wearing fake watches
that's different from saying someone trying to get out of admitting they bought a fake by saying its a gift

and as for "who gives someone a fake watch as a gift?" lol douchebags do (aka one of my aunts husband a surgeon at that)
I think PJ was saying exactly what I was saying too and not the other way around... These people know that they bought fakes and it isn't as bad if they "got it as a gift". What they are doing is directing the shame away from themselves and playing innocent.

Now if they actually did get it as a gift then that's a bit different but they still have the choice of whether or not to wear it.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #1071
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I'm really interested in your friend's reasoning.. He just buys fake watches for no reason? Or to collect.. but why would someone collect fake watches along with authentic watches.. That kind of ruins the credibility of your authentics..

Judging aside, I'm genuinely interested in someone's pure reason for buying a fake other than for showing off to people who don't know watches, and/or a false sense of pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
He only says that when he is found out but is happy to take compliments from people that do not know anything. It cannot be that he bought it just because it looks good as there are cheaper options that have the same look but without the brand like others have mentioned. I think that even if I just assume that people that buy fakes want respect it is still a pretty accurate assumption.

I think PJ was saying exactly what I was saying too and not the other way around... These people know that they bought fakes and it isn't as bad if they "got it as a gift". What they are doing is directing the shame away from themselves and playing innocent.

Now if they actually did get it as a gift then that's a bit different but they still have the choice of whether or not to wear it.
This really summed up everything.

Saying "it was a gift" is an easy way out for when you get called out. I'm sure more often than not, they would tell the gift story, rather than "I bought a fake."

For the sake of argument/entertainment.. I thought of a farfetched legit scenario to wear a fake watch...
If someone received a fake watch as a gift, and was in a situation where he had no other watch but NEEDED to wear one, so he had no choice but to resort to wearing the fake.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 10-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #1072
I STILL don't get it

Lots of prop watches for movies are fake, especially for Panerai :-P

Also, during a watch meet a few years ago (yep they exist), some dude brought a fake Panerai to the meet and tried to pass it off as real. We all knew it was off big time but no one said anything. It was also of a $10,000 model...

I will say that having a nice watch has helped my career on at least one major occasion. I was being interviewed for a job at a hospital a few years ago, and the Doctor asked to see my watch.

He said "this is a very expensive model, can you tell me more about it, I really like watches."

Well, since I knew everything about it, we spent about an hour talking watches, and he even called over another doctor to fit it. Needless to say I got the job, since the watch implied my career experience would match :-P

I know cool story bro, but as an investment, the watch paid for itself.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #1073
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Oh speaking of fakes some are so hilarious they're awesome. My dad was in Thailand and bought a fake gold Rolex Submariner complete with digital readout AND a fake tourbillon - all for $5 CAD! =)
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #1074
I STILL don't get it

Speaking of tourbillons, I'd like to buy a china made one (reputable) like from seagull one day. It's mesmerizing to look at. Seems ebay has a few, but they can get pricey.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #1075
Hyde's Understudy

i was just searching tourbillons on ebay just now. The most simplest looking dial on a tourbillon, yet one of the most expensive at over half a Mill.

PATEK PHILIPPE 3939 P TOURBILLON MINUTE REPEATER PLAT | eBay