REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #426
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Hey for a beginner, would it really matter what kind of used set you get?
Advertisement
ewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #427
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewong View Post
For me, it didn't matter so I just got a cheap set from sportmart to learn from. Now, I wanna get a new set that I will keep for a long time....I don't even have a nice driver yet lol. then again, I've only been playing since last year.

What would you guys recommend for a driver, the nike 5900 or TM burner? I tried both and they were fine but I just want an opinion as to where I can learn... also, what Loft do you guys use? i'm thinking of getting a 10.5 with a stiff..
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #428
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
if I recall correctly sport chek has some on for about $160. I was thinking about buying myself a cheap set since I'm just a beginner as well and don't think I should buy an expensive set until I get good, but I have no one to golf with anymore and can't really justify spending money on something I won't use
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #429
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
To those that are considering the "cheap sets".. I highly suggest puting together a set from Craiglist or even the RS buy/sell. For about the same price as a new complete starter set, you can get a used set of higher end clubs that you wont have to upgrade much once you get more into the game. When i first started out, i wasted hundreds of dollars buying crap golfing gear b/c i thought i was just starting out.

Older Callaway/TM drivers can be had for about $40, older TM, Callaway, Cleveland iron sets for about $100-$150 and older Odyssey putters i've seen for about $20-30. Though its older gear, i would play with that stuff b/c of the better shafts, clubheads, grips, etc. over anything from Sportsmart or Sportschek any day
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
To those that are considering the "cheap sets".. I highly suggest puting together a set from Craiglist or even the RS buy/sell. For about the same price as a so called complete starter set, you can get a used set of higher end clubs that you wont have to upgrade much once you get more into the game. When i first started out, i wasted hundreds of dollars buying crap golfing gear b/c i thought i was just starting out.

Older Callaway/TM drivers can be had for about $40, older TM, Callaway, Cleveland iron sets for about $100-$150 and older Odyssey putters i've seen for about $20-30. Though its older gear, i would play with that stuff over anything from Sportsmart or Sportschek any day.
I agree 100%. I would have done the same thing but I rushed to it. and now I want to upgrade hahaha..oh well.. it's all fun
Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
if I recall correctly sport chek has some on for about $160. I was thinking about buying myself a cheap set since I'm just a beginner as well and don't think I should buy an expensive set until I get good, but I have no one to golf with anymore and can't really justify spending money on something I won't use
Well I met this guy in richmond who has an ad on craigslist. He use to run a used sporting good store and has a lot of clubs left from his old business. He showed me some incomplete sets for bout $50 in pretty good condition. They're like 3-7 yrs old give or take, but they only have some minor wear.

I mean if I'm getting an used set. $50 isn't too much money to invest even if they're horrible clubs.

Though this guy has been golfing for 30 yrs and pretty much does the whole used sporting good sale as a hobby. So he seems pretty knowledgeable.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #432
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Shot a 75 at Sandpiper today.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #433
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
To those that are considering the "cheap sets".. I highly suggest puting together a set from Craiglist or even the RS buy/sell. For about the same price as a new complete starter set, you can get a used set of higher end clubs that you wont have to upgrade much once you get more into the game. When i first started out, i wasted hundreds of dollars buying crap golfing gear b/c i thought i was just starting out.
Lol I'm in the same boat as you on this one. I started out with a Top Flite complete set from golftown, everything from Driver to SW and I went in with the mentality of 'I'm a beginner, I don't need an expensive set'. What a mistake. Now I regret getting them because I've upgraded every single club in my bag. Taylormade Burner/R9 Driver, Ping Rapture Hybrids, Callaway X20's, Cleveland wedges. Wasted $350 on a cheap set. For me, not a single club (except for my R9) was bought brand new, I just took advantage of golftown's demo sale and craigslist.

oh btw I have a complete left handed set available if anyone wants it. Set was only been used about 3 months, and some of the irons have never hit a ball yet!
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #434
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
For me, it didn't matter so I just got a cheap set from sportmart to learn from. Now, I wanna get a new set that I will keep for a long time....I don't even have a nice driver yet lol. then again, I've only been playing since last year.

What would you guys recommend for a driver, the nike 5900 or TM burner? I tried both and they were fine but I just want an opinion as to where I can learn... also, what Loft do you guys use? i'm thinking of getting a 10.5 with a stiff..
I'd stick with a 10.5 as most of our swing speeds can't accommodate much lower. Plus it helps to get more backspin and carry on a regular basis.

I haven't tried the new burner but the 08 was OK. I haven't hit a Nike wood since their Ignite series. When I was in the market for a driver I compared the TM to the Cobra Speed series (Cobra's last year model) and I absolutely love the Cobra. Hitting both on the course with the same swing I noted the Cobra being more forgiving and longer. The only thing I can't stand is the sound, but I hear they muffled that with their new stuff.

It doesn't answer your question, but just another suggestion if you haven't tried them.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
Shot a 75 at Sandpiper today.
3 over eh.. nicely done! wanna share some free golf lessons lol....

As for the driver, ya, I'm most likely getting a 10.5 and I'll check out the cobra and see how that works out. whyat driver do you use?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #436

if you're asking me i use the cobra speed series (the red one). it has a piercing sound that i hate, but cant argue with the results
Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #437

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/spo/1195791528.html

Anyone think this is a good buy?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:54 AM   #438

Quote:
dang looks pretty good for the price. just slap on some new golf pride cord grips and theyre gold!

i hear only good things about mizunos forged sets. i play some ben hogan forged apex irons and all i can say is ill never go back to cast. i say go for it!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #439
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
3 over eh.. nicely done! wanna share some free golf lessons lol....

As for the driver, ya, I'm most likely getting a 10.5 and I'll check out the cobra and see how that works out. whyat driver do you use?
Haha, gripper and ripper.

Personally, it may sound weird but I always go with my gut instinct. If im on a hole and a another player hits a 6 iron and it goes way long, I will not change my club to adjust. I dont know what it is but it gets right into my head, and thats where I begin to make mistakes. I started doing this year, easing up on clubs rather than trying to smash it, and my cap has dropped significantly. Golf is much a mind sport. If you get pissed off, your not going to play better. Stay relaxed.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #440

^ haha, ok, i tried a few drivers today at Golftown where u can take it to the range with tape and rip a few balls. I then check the tape and can see that I've hit it in the middle of the club but the ball is still slicing to the right...what am I doing wrong? Maybe I need to take some lessons lol

I've only been playing for a year so I know it's all a learning curve and I'm not the one that gives up as I thrive to get better at the sport
Old 05-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #441

ah classic beginner problem. don't sweat it too much- 99% of people slice the ball when they start out (even now I have the odd banana). Unfortunately it can be cause by a number of things- but if I were to guess, it would be that you're leading your downswing with your arms and swinging "outside-in". If you don't really understand that part, grab a friend with a camera and try to get a back and front view of your swing. Even better would be a couple of lessons from your local pro.

Golf is the toughest game that I've picked up- but it's definitely the most fun and most rewarding in the end.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #442
VLS Head Mod

Quote:

Older Callaway/TM drivers can be had for about $40, older TM, Callaway, Cleveland iron sets for about $100-$150 and older Odyssey putters i've seen for about $20-30. Though its older gear, i would play with that stuff b/c of the better shafts, clubheads, grips, etc. over anything from Sportsmart or Sportschek any day
yeah I guess you're right, I never even thought of finding 2nd hand off craigslist or kijiji. has anyone heard anything about Ladies Daiwa Golf club? tia
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
ah classic beginner problem. don't sweat it too much- 99% of people slice the ball when they start out (even now I have the odd banana). Unfortunately it can be cause by a number of things- but if I were to guess, it would be that you're leading your downswing with your arms and swinging "outside-in". If you don't really understand that part, grab a friend with a camera and try to get a back and front view of your swing. Even better would be a couple of lessons from your local pro.

Golf is the toughest game that I've picked up- but it's definitely the most fun and most rewarding in the end.
I might actually ask my friend's bro who works at the public course in North Burnaby for lessons, after I get my own clubs. I have a big problem with my slicing.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #444
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Anyone ever play Mayfair Lakes in Richmond?
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #445
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Anyone ever play Mayfair Lakes in Richmond?
I played there 2 weekends ago. Lots of water. Didn't lose a single ball until I think it's the 16th where it dog legs right then over a tiny creek. Chipped it right into the water lol. figures.

Nice course though... Just make sure you bring more balls then you normally would lol. The only part of the course I don't like are the holes that run right along side of the freeway. I'm a lefty and if I happen to have a slice, someone's windshield is getting a nike ball through it lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #446

Hey, You guys interested in getting a driving range/course group together?
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
Hey, You guys interested in getting a driving range/course group together?
Depends where and when and of course, how much lol... I mean I'm not completely clueless when it comes to playing but I think a course would benefit me....
Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #448

Quote:
Depends where and when and of course, how much lol... I mean I'm not completely clueless when it comes to playing but I think a course would benefit me....
I am an avid golfer. Just looking to expand my network of golfers.

I think as a group it would be good to start and meet at the driving range and see where everyone's skill level is at.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #449
I STILL don't get it

What ranges do you guys usually go to? I'm either at Savage, Hastings, ubc..

or mayfair if i want to hit off the grass
Old 06-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
I am an avid golfer. Just looking to expand my network of golfers.

I think as a group it would be good to start and meet at the driving range and see where everyone's skill level is at.
I'm sorry, I thought u meant course as in class... If you guys are nearby, I'd definitely pop by and maybe get a couple of pointers from you pros. And once I get better then perhaps play