REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #826
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
Mayfair has their fall season rates -

Series of 3 Lessons
one person $180 | two people $110pp
Series of 5 Lessons
one person $275 | two people $175pp
Series of 8 Lessons
one person $400 | two people $260pp
Series of 12 Lessons
one person $540 | two people $360pp

Mayfair Lakes: GBC Golf Academy - Practice Facility, Golf Lessons and more in Richmond, near Vancouver British Columbia
Has anyone taken these lessons? How's the quality of instruction? I'm not looking for beginner lessons but more so to improve my current level.
Advertisement
strike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #827
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Are you looking for an instructor to fix and patch a swing? Or aiming to hit a certain level?

Highly recommend Mayfair for lessons in Richmond. I've been taking them at Mayfair for the past three years. Been working with Shingo to recreate my swing.

Unlike other places to learn, via indoor or at a driving range. At Mayfair you will learn to hit off of grass. You will be surprised at how much you can learn from a simple divot.. Only drawback is Mayfair isn't the place for video analysis.

If you want the "best" instructor and willing to shell the coin - I recommend Rob Houlding. Rob uses both onsite green practice and indoor video analysis via Trackman for his instructions. Hes works with the top Canadian golf pros. Checkout youtube for his students, they have amazing golf swings!

Rob Houlding Golf

Would recommend you meet with the instructor first to see how you connect to the instructor..
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #828
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Are you looking for an instructor to fix and patch a swing? Or aiming to hit a certain level?

Highly recommend Mayfair for lessons in Richmond. I've been taking them at Mayfair for the past three years. Been working with Shingo to recreate my swing.

Unlike other places to learn, via indoor or at a driving range. At Mayfair you will learn to hit off of grass. You will be surprised at how much you can learn from a simple divot.. Only drawback is Mayfair isn't the place for video analysis.

If you want the "best" instructor and willing to shell the coin - I recommend Rob Houlding. Rob uses both onsite green practice and indoor video analysis via Trackman for his instructions. Hes works with the top Canadian golf pros. Checkout youtube for his students, they have amazing golf swings!

Rob Houlding Golf

Would recommend you meet with the instructor first to see how you connect to the instructor..
Thanks, I've taken lessons when I was a beginner so I think I have the basic concepts down, probably need more practice. I would love to get to the next level. I'll probably check it out
strike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #829
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Shot a 38 on 9 holes last week. First time under 40 for 9

Too bad there's no golf until May now
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #830
Need to Seek Professional Help

Bringing this back from the dead. I can't wait for golf season, just bought me a Nike Method 001 putter today and a 60 degree wedge. My bag is complete.
Saturn2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #831
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Shot 11 over 78 @ Delta today. 8 pars, 9 bogeys and 1 double. Good for 1st round of the year for me, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #832
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,735 Times in 812 Posts
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #833
Waxin’ Punks

Good matchups at the Accenture right now on Golf Channel... great TV.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #834

yeah, looks like Nike sucks.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #835

again, at the Honda, Rory is stinkin' the place up. even when i switch ball brands, my game changes, or switching putters.

Rory swapped out all his gear to Nike. ball, woods, irons,wedges,putter. $250 million is nice, but the switch is killing him.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #836
Waxin’ Punks

IIRC Tiger had a mediocre first couple tourneys after the switch too.. these guys are too good to not get used to their gear, wouldn't you think? I know golf is a mental game, but I'm sure these guys can overcome what weekend warriors cannot.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #837
Waxin’ Punks

Played Pagoda Ridge yesterday for the first time, nice track!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #838

Masters!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #839
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just wondering if anyone here has been fit for IRONS anywhere in Vancouver. I'm currently playing off the rack Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons and I feel like I may want to switch it up, but I want to get fitted for my next set.

Ideally I'd want to go to a place that carries most the major brands and I've heard mixed review about Golftec and more often then not negative things from the fittings in Golftown and am just wondering if anywhere here has gone the route of getting fitted for a set of irons, where you went, and your experiences, and the cost regarding it as well.

Thanks
riccof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccof View Post
Just wondering if anyone here has been fit for IRONS anywhere in Vancouver. I'm currently playing off the rack Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons and I feel like I may want to switch it up, but I want to get fitted for my next set.

Ideally I'd want to go to a place that carries most the major brands and I've heard mixed review about Golftec and more often then not negative things from the fittings in Golftown and am just wondering if anywhere here has gone the route of getting fitted for a set of irons, where you went, and your experiences, and the cost regarding it as well.

Thanks
Its going to be difficult to find one local fitter who has the expertise and equipment that carries all major brands. It's best to compare and contrast the retail brands at golftown. From there find a local fitter that has the most experience with that brand. Be wary of Tayloremade fitments, most pro shops can fit you with Taylormade clubs, but you end up with a retail set..

I've been fitted for Mizuno MP-57 out in Marine Drive Golf Course. Had the local Mizuno rep comeby and fit me for the clubs. Recommend the following fitter -

Rob Houlding - Titleist, Taylormade (Uses trackman for fitments)
- CLUB FITTING - Rob Houlding Golf
- One of the only fitters that can get tour spec clubs
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #841
Waxin’ Punks

Just got back from a stag up in the Kamloops area, played Tobiano & Talking Rock.

Tobiano - 2nd nicest course I've ever played next to Palmilla in Cabo (12th ranked course in NA last time I had checked) and equally as hard. Fairways mown like local greens. Often times I'd hit a well placed tee shot in the fairway and it would roll into deep rough or the fescue either long or on the opposite side of the fairway if it were sloped (which a lot of them were). The greens were MINT but so damn hard. Five 3 putts. If you had a short downhill putt and missed, you had at least a 6-8'er coming back. If you had a long one... well, good luck. Absolutely gorgeous place to play golf with amazing views pretty much all around. If you're ever in the area, play it. $90 with a cart when booked only 3 days in advance. Shot a 104 with 6 lost balls on top of the 3 putts. Super tough track but a must play.

Talking Rock - nice course but the website makes it look much better than it is. Only 2-3 holes are around the the lake IIRC (foggy memory though, drank a lot of beer!) and the views aren't nearly as nice on the eyes as Tobiano. Kept in really good shape but really no better than a Northlands / Northview level of course. In fact, I'd probably give the nod to Northview. Several short par 4/5's but long par 3's (each one at least 180yds from the blues). Played well, shot an 87 which felt good after a 104 at Tobiano the day before. If you're in the area, check it out for sure, but for the same price of $90 I'd make the drive over to Tobiano in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #842
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Shot 78 at Redwoods yesterday, with 3 lost balls. Thank god my scramble game was on!
Posted via RS Mobile
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #843
Waxin’ Punks

78 is a great score. Hopefully one day I'll break 80. 82 is my best round..

Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #844
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
just picking up

need lessons

but fun
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #845
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
78 is a great score. Hopefully one day I'll break 80. 82 is my best round..
Thanks.

My all time best round was a 74 at Belmont a few years back. I dont play as much anymore, too many expensive hobbies. I've been out 3 times this year, maybe 8 last year.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #846
Waxin’ Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccof View Post

Thanks
Quote:
Its going to be difficult to find one local fitter who has the expertise and equipment that carries all major brands. It's best to compare and contrast the retail brands at golftown. From there find a local fitter that has the most experience with that brand. Be wary of Tayloremade fitments, most pro shops can fit you with Taylormade clubs, but you end up with a retail set..

I've been fitted for Mizuno MP-57 out in Marine Drive Golf Course. Had the local Mizuno rep comeby and fit me for the clubs. Recommend the following fitter -

Rob Houlding - Titleist, Taylormade (Uses trackman for fitments)
- CLUB FITTING - Rob Houlding Golf
- One of the only fitters that can get tour spec clubs
Was thinking of getting a new set of irons myself this year and take advantage of Golftown fitting them for free. Last 2 sets I've bought there I've never had fitted and I think it's time I do.

Is this a bad idea?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #847
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Was thinking of getting a new set of irons myself this year and take advantage of Golftown fitting them for free. Last 2 sets I've bought there I've never had fitted and I think it's time I do.

Is this a bad idea?
I have friends who were fit with GT and have no complaints. That said, depending on how much you're dropping for new sticks, it might be worth while to go to someone like mentioned above.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #848

Coquitlam Golf Town guys are pretty good. i would stay away from North Van and Richmond stores though.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #849
Waxin’ Punks

I'd be going to the one in South Surrey.

Rocketballz irons are $350 off down to $450 - might go swing them and see how they are.

http://www.golftown.com/RocketBallz-...fts-P4585.aspx

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #850

Quote:

Is this a bad idea?
It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Any proper fitting for 9 - 4 irons alone will run you $1200+. There are mainly two distinct formats for custom fitting. Each has its own merits and it all comes down to $$$

1. Retail Fitting -Aka Golf town
- Shafts - Standard retail shafts, Regular, Stiff and Senior
- Grips: Standard grips
- Head: Lie Angle fitting - BEWARE - They will bend the iron head for the appropriate lie and will often leave marks on the head
- Clubs are often readily stocked

2. Local Pro-Fitting TM, Titliest, Mizuno, Callaway etc Representative
- Use of proper fitting carts
- Shafts/Grips: Various choice of manufacturers choice of shafts, for example you can be paired with over 5 options for stiff shafts.
- Clubs are made to fit from the manufacturer, custom lie angles will be forged accordingly to the fitter
- Fitting will be biased to the manufacturers representative

Just beware if you go down the path of getting properly fitted with forged irons heads and custom lie angle. You will need them maintained yearly as the forged iron head will warp overtime..

This is just for irons... Fitting for graphite shafts for hybrids,woods and drivers, opens up a whole new world of fitting....

Last edited by Wormiez; 07-13-2013 at 10:29 PM.