REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #126
I STILL don't get it

current:
-graduated with an engineering degree from ubc
-make about 110k/year (take home), and save a pretty good portion of that...
-have about 100k in the bank and another apartment investment in hk that should do quite well if i get lucky (currently have about 70k equity, but if the right offer comes in should turn into ~200k or more). i was able to do this by saving a lot of the money i made through co-op in order to buy the apartment - thankfully it's turning out to be a decent one.
-driving company car, so dont own any vehicle
-no other debt

future:
-going to take 2-3 months off work in around 1.5 years in order to travel and self study about technical things related to my future business and investments
-hope to start my own business in 3-4 years with a friend, but only after a couple more years of experience and saving (hate working and making money for other people) and hope to be financially free by 35-40 years old
-start day/week trading on the side in the next couple months to see how that works out for me.
-look for good investment opportunities

i'd also like to say that i did all this without my parents money, however i did live at home throughout school and they did pay for my tuition so that was very helpful
Advertisement
leilomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #127
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilomo View Post
current:
-have about 100k in the bank and another apartment investment in hk that should do quite well if i get lucky (currently have about 70k equity, but if the right offer comes in should turn into ~200k or more). i was able to do this by saving a lot of the money i made through co-op in order to buy the apartment - thankfully it's turning out to be a decent one.
-no other debt

future:
-going to take 2-3 months off work in around 1.5 years in order to travel and self study about technical things related to my future business and investments
-hope to start my own business in 3-4 years with a friend, but only after a couple more years of experience and saving (hate working and making money for other people) and hope to be financially free by 35-40 years old
-start day/week trading on the side in the next couple months to see how that works out for me.

i'd also like to say that i did all this without my parents money, however i did live at home throughout school and they did pay for my tuition so that was very helpful
110k year for a 23 year old is great.

May i ask what department of engineering you took at UBC, I'm planning to get into automotive engineering in 2 years after college.
bimmer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #128
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I remember reading this thread 2 years ago and wanting to jump off a bridge. Thank you for bringing those feeligns back.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #129
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
i just want to retire by the time im 50. gonna need to make a shitload in the next 25 years to pull that off and live the lifestyle i want.

if i spend 100k a year between 50-90 i'll need 4m (assuming i have no passive income at 50, which i definitely will). still crazy!
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #130
Need to Seek Professional Help

*jumps off bridge*
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #131
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Is it too late to go back to school @ 24? I have about 3yrs to go before getting my degree in Heath Information Science. I think it's a worthwhile field to be in because the market is so hot right now. But the thing is....I won't be part of it until 3 years later + co-op.

But to go back to school means I'll have to give up my comfortable full-time job and little mini side business and grind it out in Victoria.....
Sodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #132
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
Is it too late to go back to school @ 24? I have about 3yrs to go before getting my degree in Heath Information Science. I think it's a worthwhile field to be in because the market is so hot right now. But the thing is....I won't be part of it until 3 years later + co-op.

But to go back to school means I'll have to give up my comfortable full-time job and little mini side business and grind it out in Victoria.....

Its never too late to go back to school as long your mind is up to it.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #133
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
current:
-no other debt

future:

I call bullshit on this one......if he takes home 110K+, he would have to gross +$165K......only way this is real if he has a comp sci engineering degree.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #134
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
I call bullshit on this one......if he takes home 110K+, he would have to gross +$165K......only way this is real if he has a comp sci engineering degree.....
and maybe 5+ yrs exp on top.
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #135
RS controls my life!

Quote:

Nah itsd not late...at 24 your still young by the time you grad you'll be 26-27 and you still have 40 yrs ahead of you. Ask your self is their any benefit I mean you'll be doing it for 40 yrs. I say go for it...there are a lot of ppl going back to school at your age...some even older.
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #136
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

I'm going back at 22, if that helps. Probably wont be starting my program till late 23. I work a high paying income job right now, and I'm giving everything up to grind it out. You gotta do what you think makes you happy.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #137
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas604 View Post
Nah itsd not late...at 24 your still young by the time you grad you'll be 26-27 and you still have 40 yrs ahead of you. Ask your self is their any benefit I mean you'll be doing it for 40 yrs. I say go for it...there are a lot of ppl going back to school at your age...some even older.
I know where he's coming from. Probably worked right out of high school pulling good cash while his friends went to school and were grinding it out for a few years. Now that all of his friends have graduated the tables have turned. Also doesn't help that when he's going back at his age that most people that are 23 or 24 are starting school for their masters or already have 4 years of school behind their belt, and have done all the party shit from 19-22.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #138
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
I know this is an old thread but some comments are interesting. Pretty amusing how people would post how much they get paid and how much is sitting in their bank accounts hahah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xh3atyx View Post
This thread is funny lol, i must contruibute to this, droped out of highschool in grade 10 im 20 now. Family was really harshed so for like a year i just bumbed around pretending i was in school but really wasn't. Now I just sit my ass at home and do nothing. Not goona go school no more and not goona try cause ive done that like at least 20 times but failed everytime so now im just gonna die in my bed and hope ill be rich in hell or heaven hopefully hahaah. If anyone want to help me out feel free to spare some change or get me a freaken job
Now, is that a learning disability or are you just downright lazy? Instead of 'pretending' to be in school, why not make something out of it and just finish high school?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Yota View Post
-Living at home
-Work for the family business, $16/hr.
-Own 2 vehicles.
-Highschool grad, brutal transcript.
-Sitting on 5k usually
19 and own 2 cars eh..wow

Quote:
current:
-make about 110k/year (take home), and save a pretty
so im assuming you've been only out of school for about a years time (unlike the 5 years + exp that someone else mentioned) and you're already netting $110k?

Skills or connection? Wow you must be extremely bright with all the right personalities.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #139
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

lol. I guess I'm one of the less successful ppl here.

I'm 25, had been focusing on school for as long as I can remember and I guess I'm pretty good @ that (with honours & what not pretty much every year). Have a MSc degree. Currently wroking a $14/hr p/t job, making like 1k/month (before tax). Now trying to get into an accounting firm to start my career. Needless to say, I'm still living at home and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Yea, I feel like jumping off a bridge.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #140
Need my Daily Fix of RS

19, shitty transcript, at langara, smoking pot every day, life feels empty.
omega_cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #141
I bringith the lowerballerith

Reading this thread makes me wanna jump off the bridge too

Me

- 25 years old
- Late bloomer in life - dicked around in highschool and post highschool - wasted a good 2 years
- Went abroad for university which was the best decision in my life
- Came back to Vancouver for work. Learned a lot on the job and about myself but pay was marginal. Salary was in the median wage and only manageable for the "Vancouver lifestyle". It makes me want to jump off the bridge seeing how many people earn more than you.
- Ended up getting laid off 2009. Unemployed since but recently started my own business
- GF for a few years. Lots of problems lately but hoping it all works out cause she's the one.

Now

- Getting laid off has hit me quite hard - never do I want to work for anyone / company again. You are only creating value for someone else not yourself
- Dealing with other life problems I have
- Continue to work on my business and develop other business ideas
- Outlook: Not depressed nor happy - it all could be better

Now
Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #142
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
24, had too much fun in cars to seriously put any effort in finding women.
Owned over 20 cars in 8 years. Even if some broke down and ditched me on the side of the road it was overall a very pleasant experience. Will do again.
However look in life changed when my hands were introduced to some boobies.

Now I want to bang bang bang! Still can't walk away from my cars though.
Worked in Canada and HK alike for about 2 years in the computer industries. Still think it's a viable way to live my life but I think I can make more money on the business side of things. Not like I want to be a business man but when the opportunity comes I really want to make my own business and make that work.

Life isn't so bad.... I would die happy an average joe....Better if I get involved in something in motorsports/automotive world.... but realistically I need a job for feeding myself and my family first.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #143
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega_cc View Post
19, shitty transcript, at langara, smoking pot every day, life feels empty.
first off, quit smoking weed... best decision i ever made.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #144
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

if I wrote where I am and the stuff I get to do... all of you would hate me. So lets leave it at that. Just assume I am a bum.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #145
Tech Team Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzz24 View Post
Wow, some of you guys really make me feel under accomplished

Just turned 23, with no academic accomplishments to speak of. Toyed with the idea of going back to school for post-secondary but with no clear idea of what career path I want to take, I have yet to decide anything. Been working since highschool, and now hold a management position working for an American bank at a call center. Official title, I'm a Business Analyst. Financially, I do very well, especially considering my age. Assets, 5+ figures in RRSP's, $30k worth of vehicles listed below. Credit score in the mid 700's.

Currently I'm just having fun enjoying life while I procrastinate making the choices that will decide the rest of my life. Do I keep saving for a down payment on a house? Do I liquidate my assets to pay for me to go back to school? We're young, plenty of time to make decisions!
Weird to see this thread back up. Let's see where I am now almost 2 years later LoL.

-Still working for the same company in the same position.
-Now attending Kwantlen going for my BBA in accounting, and have been accepted in to the CGA program. Company is paying for most of it. Just started this last semester at the age of 24 for those who think they're too old. There are plenty of "older" people in school.
-I now drive much nicer vehicles LoL.
-Just had an offer accepted on a condo near my school. Barring any unforseen disasters, I take possession at the end of the month.

Woooo!

2001 BMW M Coupe - Laguna Seca Blue
2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
2003 Honda CBR 954RR
dubzz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #146
SFICC-03*

we are all part of the rat race.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #147
2 Wheel'd Mod

I'm 19 and at a crossroad. Currently taking a trade (auto tech) but not quite sure if its for me. Can't really find work. Life feels like its just going by while I waste it sitting here. Need to change my sleeping patterns as well.
/)__)
-"--"-

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=417820
!oHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #148
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Wow, some of you guys here are pretty successful which motivates me more to pursue my goals.

Turning 20 this year
-Finished high school with C+ average grades..not the best..
-Went to Langara for a year and dicked around since i didn't know what I wanted to do with my future.
-Took a bunch of random jobs such as valet for a hotel, shipper/reciever, construction..
-Got a job at Cactus club and been there a little over a year. Then thats when it sparked me to pursue the culinary industry. Loved the atmosphere and team work.
-going into VCC in November for my lvl 1 and 2 culinary arts and red seal.
-become chef for cactus club hopefully by the age of 25 or so and actually save up some money for investments and hopefully open up a restaurant with my dad.

i'm currently making $14.25 an hour which isn't bad... but it never hurts for more

A lot of the things i did where based off my friends and family experiences and they're lectures lol.. but i thank them for what they gave to me. who knows, if it weren't for them, i could be slanging and shit right now making double or triple of what i made in a week and waiting to be shot the next day lol.

thats my life... for now

2008 TSX 6spd
2002 WRX - gone
2008 Honda Civic - gone

My Feedback
triplexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #149
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
20, still trying to finish school one more year to go.
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #150
Banned (BBM)

been on WCB for 9 months.
chileanwinehous is offline   Reply With Quote