REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #26
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdesign View Post
BTW, any info on the supposedly rumored Jollibee opening in Seattle?
Jollibee and Red Ribbon is slated to open sometime in late august from what I read on the Seafood City FB fan page, i'm headed down to the states for the weekend with my family and we've made plans to hit up chow king especially since my mom likes their halo halo. I just want jollibee to open so I can have my chicken joy!
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

There's one at No.5 and Cambie in Richmond called Little Ongpin. Never tried it though. I heard there is one on No.3 Road in the complex where Staples and TD is, don't know name though sorry.

edit: oops, didn't see that Little Ongpin was mentioned already
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
one opened up in richmond called manila toscana across from bobs subs
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #29
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD2005 View Post
Jollibee and Red Ribbon is slated to open sometime in late august from what I read on the Seafood City FB fan page, i'm headed down to the states for the weekend with my family and we've made plans to hit up chow king especially since my mom likes their halo halo. I just want jollibee to open so I can have my chicken joy!
Jollibee is already open according to my aunt. It's been open since like July or something.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Jollibee is already open according to my aunt. It's been open since like July or something.
The problem I find with Filipino food here is that, unlike Chinese restaurants, 99% of the time the food made at home is way better than eating Filipino out. Like someone mentioned earlier, until they open more made-to-order restaurants and less fast-food-like (i.e. steamers) it's never going to get better selection wise. It's even worse to see how bad Goldilocks is and how they just premake everything and stick them in plastic containers in the cooler. I've tried PinPins and like someone else said, you're better off making friends with Filipinos if you want better food.

As an aside, has anyone tried the Red Ribbon yet? If it's anything like the Philippines, I prefer the majority of their pastries to Goldilocks. And for you bread lovers, Aling Mary has dopeeee pan de sal. WAY better than anything here, especially when you order them fresh. mmmm
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #31
"Entertainment" mod.

I live literally 3 minutes walking distance from the Surrey Aling Mary's. If the family wants a dozen, I just pop by. Beats the hell out of bread for sandwiches any day, but we go through a dozen in nothing flat.

Home-cooking will almost never top restaurant Filipino food regardless of where you go. However, there's a place in Surrey called Cheeky Cheeky Cafe that does a made to order meals and all-day silog.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #32
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
I live literally 3 minutes walking distance from the Surrey Aling Mary's. If the family wants a dozen, I just pop by. Beats the hell out of bread for sandwiches any day, but we go through a dozen in nothing flat.

Home-cooking will almost never top restaurant Filipino food regardless of where you go. However, there's a place in Surrey called Cheeky Cheeky Cafe that does a made to order meals and all-day silog.
waaaait, a dozen what?

Interesting fact about home cooking vs restaurants.
I guess it's the same with Chinese food as well.
Not sure if this is generally true for other cultures though.

I'm a bit of a food, so I know that when it comes to home cooked garlic bread, spaghetti, steak, caesar salad and gado gado, no restaurants compare to what my friends/families can whip up at home.

I still haven't ventured into flip food yet though, an suggestions?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #33
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:

Really? Nothing beats home made Filipino food vs. the Filipino restaurants in my books.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #34
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
I live literally 3 minutes walking distance from the Surrey Aling Mary's.
Like going to the palenke? Best part is by the time you get back, the corned beef and/or longanisa is already cooked.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #35
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
waaaait, a dozen what?
Sorry, a dozen pandesal, filipino sweet bread.

If you want to start venturing into Filipino food, ask your Filipino friends if you have any. They can fill you in on what's good to them. Personally, I'm a sucker for nilaga (beef stew), and kare kare (beef/oxtail stew using peanut sauce).

@iRomey: 98% of the time, home-cooked can't beat restaurant, but when there's no filipino food to be made at home, and there's no ingredients anywhere in the house, restaurant is always a nice alternative.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdesign View Post
BTW, any info on the supposedly rumored Jollibee opening in Seattle?
ooh filipinos love this place

they rave about it all the time
hope they do
i ll go try it out
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #37
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I was just there last monday. Jollibee is still closed. Opening august 2010. Chowking and Tokyotokyo is open with 1 hour line up. Seafood City also has a mini fast food serves filipino food.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mr.JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

so this seafood city is like a filipino market with fast food joints?
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #39

Seafood city is a filipino grocery. Just that they added 1 fast food stall. I guess their own fastfood. Kinda like walmart have mcdonalds inside.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mr.JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #40

Quote:

@iRomey: 98% of the time, home-cooked can't beat restaurant, but when there's no filipino food to be made at home, and there's no ingredients anywhere in the house, restaurant is always a nice alternative.

really? are you talking about here in vancouver or in general? because pretty much every filipino i know (family included) go to a filipino restaurant as a last resort if they're really lazy to cook at home.

different story in the philippines, as there were some killer restaurants that i went to.

however i do agree with you in that kare kare is very good- tbh it's a very neutral taste, and oh man is it good. I'm actually having some right now
Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #41
"Entertainment" mod.

There aren't that many Filipino restaurants here in Surrey outside Cheeky Cheeky, so the odd time we went to a restaurant, it was just to try it. We'd go back with the right conditions though.

Which reminds me, I gotta restock my fridge with longaniza and tocino. I'm tired of eating bagoong with rice when I need a quick fix of food and there's nothing in the fridge.

When I went to The Philippines for the first time 10 years ago (I was born in Toronto), the food cooked at home was amazing, even though my family back home are in a rural area. On-site animals meant the freshest chicken and pork. On that note, anyone remember the 5AM pandesal bike whenever they want back?

Last edited by CorneringArtist; 08-10-2010 at 06:41 PM.
CorneringArtist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #42

nope never saw that in Batangas, but there was tons of TA-HO!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #43
I don't get it

my parents are from a rural town in quezon province, when we were there 5am would be people walking around the town puto and yeah the food is really fresh especially if u live in a coastal town, fresh fish and shrimps being brought door to door in a bucket to sell usually by the children or wives of the fishermen of the town.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #44

I had dinner at Kulinarya the other night and it was decent! Good prices, good food

Looking forward to going back and having some tapsilog!

Kulinarya is in Coquitlam on Glen Drive and Pacific. So glad there's a Filipino restaurant in the Tri-Cities
Old 08-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #45
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
What are some typical Filipino dishes to order?
I haven't seen it being mentioned but my favourites are:

* Lumpiang Shangai
* Menudo

They may not exactly be Filipino in origin but when they're available in Filipino Restaurants, or in parties, they're freakin'

Oh, and +1 to the mentioned: Nilaga & Sinigang. Also, it's a pretty simple food but I'm also a big fan of Tapsilog.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote