REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 12-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrGoodbar
au petite cafe. main and about 32nd across from duffins. place serves up curry pho. can't beat it
I didn't think this place was all that great. I heard all the hype about it and went there one day. I was like....uhhhhhh.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:28 AM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcrdukes
I think I may have spelt it wrong which is why you're getting bad results. I think it's spelt "Le Petite Saigon." I may be wrong. It's on East Hastings just west of Renfrew between Kaslo and Slocan. You'll see it just west of the Burger King on the same block as the Starbucks.

I haven't been to Kim Phung in a long time but their pho is good. Thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that place. As for Bao Chau, I personally don't think it's that good. Compared to Le Petite Saigon, I always have to chug down endless glasses of water and their spring rolls aren't even that great to be really honest. Pho Van - a Vancouver institution. It's too bad Mr. Van sold the one in Chinatown. I grew up in Chinatown so my parents would take me to Pho Van every now and then. The only one he has left is the one on Fraser.
Seems like me and you have quite similar tastes. My mom used to take us to Pho Van all the fuckin' time cuz it was kick ass. We'd order che ba mao and other stuff. I'm not a big fan of Bao Chau either, the time I had it it was nothing special and super loaded with MSG. I absolutely miss the old Le Petite Saigon, I loved that place dearly.

I didn't know there was still a Pho Van around. Gotta check out that place.

I'll ask my parents about the Southern vs Northen Pho...since my dad is from the north and my mom from the south and see what I can get out of them.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:29 AM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Thai son is still in Richmond?

If you're referring to the No 3 Road location across from Richmond Center Mall, the whole plaza's been closed for the longest time.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 AM   #29
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Alphamale
It's on Fraser Street just south of Kingsway. You can't miss it.

Quote:
I'll ask my parents about the Southern vs Northen Pho...since my dad is from the north and my mom from the south and see what I can get out of them.
According to this site on pho I quote, "Northern style pho tends to be simpler and is made with less ingredients. There are fewer cuts of meat and small slices of ginger are laid on top of the soup. The pho is served without bean sprouts or herbs. Instead, it is accompanied by green chilies and lime only. Southern style pho is a complex dish made from a dozen ingredients. Bean sprouts, fresh basil and saw herb are typically served with each bowl. As with the Northern style pho, green chilies and lime are used as condiments."

So I guess there really are no places that serve real Northern style pho? My closest guess would have been Au Petit Cafe and maybe Kim Phung.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 12-17-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:28 AM   #30
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by miss_crayon
thai son for me!

mmmm too bad they don't serve banh mi there.
thats why you go to ba le thats like a couple blocks down on kingsway and fraser or the chinatown location on main st thats underneath the old PHO VAN for good viet subs

Quote:
Originally posted by MrGoodbar
au petite cafe. main and about 32nd across from duffins. place serves up curry pho. can't beat it
Quote:
I didn't think this place was all that great. I heard all the hype about it and went there one day. I was like....uhhhhhh.
their known for their viet subs try the sub!!! they are usually sold out around 2-3pm everyday so get them while their around

Quote:
Seems like me and you have quite similar tastes. My mom used to take us to Pho Van all the fuckin' time cuz it was kick ass. We'd order che ba mao and other stuff. I'm not a big fan of Bao Chau either, the time I had it it was nothing special and super loaded with MSG. I absolutely miss the old Le Petite Saigon, I loved that place dearly.

lol i always thought you were white judging for your avatar and stuff
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #31
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ronin
Pho Lan in Richmond, by far.

Phnom Phen is the shit. They have the best fried chicken wings and...uh...beef carpacio? I've never had soup noodles their but their special dry noodles are awesome.
oh yeah... pho lan is good too! if i lived in richmond i'd go to pho lan A LOT more.

Quote:
Originally posted by willystyle
Yah, I kind of miss seeing Peter and his fam taking orders and making food for my friends and I to eat.. I must say though, the food quality has stayed pretty consistent..
whos peter?

i've been going to the broadway cambie crackpho place for 8 almost 9 years now. the guy in the kitchen and the lady that works there has always been the same.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #32
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ peter and his family used to own Le Petit (it's spelled without the "E") Saigon on Hastings near Renfew.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally posted by Vansterdam
lol i always thought you were white judging for your avatar and stuff
Haha, I'm not even a Vietnamese. I'm Chineseeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Edit: Ba Le FTW! Been eating there for the last...12 years at least.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:

Last edited by Alphamale; 12-17-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:52 AM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
The owner of thai son sold the place when the canada line was being built to them for like 600k or something redicilous like that.

I went to a good place on some street... all i know is there is a gas station, a italian resteeraunt accross the street, and i think a dry cleaner? It was around rupert street.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #35
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:

achiam: Damn, that looks really good! You mentioned that was southern style pho. What was different about it? Judging by the picture, I was under the impression that any typical place in Vancouver served southern pho which is your first picture. I was told that Kim Phung served so-called southern style where the broth is a little heavier on the spices and is darker in complexion but judging by your photos, it looks like it's the opposite? When I was in Paris, I had pho in Saint Lazare and the family that ran the joint was from southern Vietnam and that's what it looked like (your picture of northern pho.)

I guess it's time to go out and to find out for myself.
I was told that Northern Pho holds greater influence from Chinese cuisine, and as a result the noodles are somewhat thicker, almost like chinese "hoh fun" noodles. The broth is also simpler as it gives a distinct, clear flavor whereas Vancouver-type Southern pho broth is quite complex, having been prepared with spices and star anise etc. The other difference is that they give lots of chopped onions on top, and have a wider emphasis on different types of meat balls.

I haven't gone to Paris yet, but will go in February. Surprisingly, the Vietnamese area in Berlin had quite good pho as well, but nothing compared to San Francisco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pho

Last edited by achiam; 12-17-2007 at 07:08 AM.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulic Qel-Droma
oh yeah... pho lan is good too! if i lived in richmond i'd go to pho lan A LOT more.

whos peter?

i've been going to the broadway cambie crackpho place for 8 almost 9 years now. the guy in the kitchen and the lady that works there has always been the same.
Once, I went to Kim Pehn Xe Lua alone for lunch (I used to work nearby), and this zombie woman was there working. I went clubbing that night, came back with my friends at like 3AM? and she served me Pho again. Quite disturbing.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #37
RS Veteran

She is always there. I would sometimes like to say she's Ulic's second mom.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #38
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

PHO TAN makes incredible beef ribs

BAO CHAO makes the best springs rolls

PHO ASIA makes the best nammer subs... =)
Old 12-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #39
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

So how exactly to do judge wether a certain Pho location is better than another?

ive been to a couple in Richmond and they all taste the same to me. Now your talking to a Chinese person right now with pretty open taste to any type of food.

But Pho is basically Hot Soup and prepped up raw stuff put into the soup.

im not belittle vietnamese food but i want to know how to judge how it is good compared to others.
honda_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally posted by honda_h2o
So how exactly to do judge wether a certain Pho location is better than another?

ive been to a couple in Richmond and they all taste the same to me. Now your talking to a Chinese person right now with pretty open taste to any type of food.

But Pho is basically Hot Soup and prepped up raw stuff put into the soup.

im not belittle vietnamese food but i want to know how to judge how it is good compared to others.
Hmm... I suppose it just tastes different and will have a taste of "quality" if its good. NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING beats home made pho that's been boiling for most of the day with all the proper ingredients. Once you have a taste of that shit...nothing is every the same afterwards. My aunt made some one time...holy shit. That's all I can say. I think I ate like 5 big bowls of pho. Sadly, I haven't visited her every since.
Quote:

(>___<)
Quote:
Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 AM   #41
Ubereem Mod

i want pho....now...
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 AM   #42
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally posted by achiam
Once, I went to Kim Pehn Xe Lua alone for lunch (I used to work nearby), and this zombie woman was there working. I went clubbing that night, came back with my friends at like 3AM? and she served me Pho again. Quite disturbing.
Quote:
She is always there. I would sometimes like to say she's Ulic's second mom.

yeah shes been there forever, always looks tired and never stops work. ever. haha
Old 12-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #43
I STILL don't get it

Pho Tam in Surrey
Pho Hong on Kingsway by Imperial
MrBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #44
RS Veteran

Pho Hong - the girls there are hot.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #45
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Give me some of your Aunt's Pho hahaha and eat 5 bowls hahaha
honda_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #46
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Saigon on Hastings and Slocan I think ? and Le Do on Hastings and Nanaimo near the Churches Chicken.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #47

any body know a pho place that gives u a BIG ass portion. i eat like a pig and the pho never makes me full. even the large doesnt do anything?

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #48
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
^ find a place with lots of MSG so you load up on water haha jk.

hmm you could always order a large and ask for extra noodles. usually extra noodles fill you up
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:25 AM   #49
Retired moderator

Re: Best Pho Restaurants

Quote:
Originally posted by azn_dp_boy

Pho isn't that great, but it's the best viet food ever, Phnom Penh, chinatown
Hence why they call it Exotic Cambodian Cuisine.

They got awesome everything else though. Their chicken wings are to die for. I grew up eating there since family friends own it. But good food, if you're not looking into pho.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:01 AM   #50
I keep RS good

i didnt know phnom penh was like open super duper late... is it still?

i remember the broadway location was. but ididnt find out till they shut it down. didnt some dude get shot there haha