REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #26
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
There's a meat market on 248th in Langley called Bonettis. They farm the meat, cut it, and sell it all at the same location. Meat so fresh, it hasn't been dead for a whole day before it hits the bbq.

While you're out there, take advantage of the free range eggs sold at markets, and even along the side streets in rural Langley and aldergrove. On 232nd, you'll find a farm market with some of the finest veggies around. Since it's all farmed there, the delay from harvest to your table is a lot less than mass produced Safeway crap.

I'm tired of big supermarket's tasteless produce.

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyPupp
Free range chickens also eat a lot of crap that they shouldn't. Including each other.. yeah chickens tend to.. peck at each other a lot. If they are very crowded, they'll get into a lot of fights. That means feathers and chunks all over the place. Which they then eat. It's pretty gross
Okay, I hate to admit this but.......... we had chickens when I was growing up.

Yeah, have your laughs, I know it makes me a redneck, but I'm one of the few here who can clean and cut a chicken, so there.

Anyway, we had a lot of chickens, in fact for years we never went to Safeway, or places like that. I'll agree that every once in a while they would get into scraps, but a well taken care of flock will never have a dead chicken in general population long enough for the others to have a snack. In fact, well fed flocks would rarely fight, as there was nothing to fight about.

Plus the taste was above and beyond mass produced fowl. Both meat, and eggs, I miss those days.
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally posted by originalhypa

Yeah, have your laughs, I know it makes me a redneck, but I'm one of the few here who can clean and cut a chicken, so there.

Anyway, we had a lot of chickens, in fact for years we never went to Safeway, or places like that. I'll agree that every once in a while they would get into scraps, but a well taken care of flock will never have a dead chicken in general population long enough for the others to have a snack. In fact, well fed flocks would rarely fight, as there was nothing to fight about.

Plus the taste was above and beyond mass produced fowl. Both meat, and eggs, I miss those days.
Nothing beats eggs that are fresh from the chicken! still warm when you're cracking it into the pan. It's awesome how yellow the yolk is compared to the eggs you get from supermarkets. And i agree, the chickens i've raised would almost never fight, because they had enough room and food where they wouldn't have to "argue" over it. The only dead chickens we would get is from hawks or coyotes getting into the coops.
TypeERRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #28
I am on the internets

Well i buy organic fresh meat and fish only. I know a butcher there who can cut meat to my specs. Capers on 4th sometimes has decent meat. Choices on the 16th wand 57th would be my choice.
For cold cuts and cheese I hit, The Drive - Santa Barbara to be precise and La Grotta.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #29
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally posted by TypeERRR
Nothing beats eggs that are fresh from the chicken! still warm when you're cracking it into the pan. It's awesome how yellow the yolk is compared to the eggs you get from supermarkets. And i agree, the chickens i've raised would almost never fight, because they had enough room and food where they wouldn't have to "argue" over it. The only dead chickens we would get is from hawks or coyotes getting into the coops.
hahaha, awesome!
I was worried that I was the only one with chicken poo on my hands as a kid.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
hahaha, awesome!
I was worried that I was the only one with chicken poo on my hands as a kid.

lol chicken poo on my hands, and on the constant lookout for the cow patties!!
TypeERRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
+100 points for santa barbara.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #32
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:

As a feller white-boy from a small town, I had chickens too (and pigs). And no, a well taken-care of flock won't be killing each other all the time. But little scraps chickens have are often enough for them... I mean think of it, they peck at each other, picking each other apart bit by bit. Maybe it's not a huge issue that makes free-range unworthy of consideration, but it's still a funny fact to me.

Free range usually tastes a lot better than typically farmed chicken, but they often aren't very meaty.

Anyway, duck and goose > chicken * 10000

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 02-07-2008 at 08:08 PM.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #33
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
True. Other than the massive layer of fat, the actual meat of duck and goose is leaner and tastier than chicken.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #34
I don't get it either

Quote:
Originally posted by godwin
Kobe striploin is a 25ish / 100g.
so $75 bucks for a 10oz steak? damnn
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #35
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
probably from here:

http://www.nikuya.ca/contact/default.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by Boostaholic
so $75 bucks for a 10oz steak? damnn
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #36
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slif
Manzano's in Metrotown
they have the best bread ever. I was addicted to that bakery when I worked there a few years ago. Really nice people there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #37
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally posted by TypeERRR
lol chicken poo on my hands, and on the constant lookout for the cow patties!!

Quote:
As a feller white-boy from a small town, I had chickens too (and pigs). And no, a well taken-care of flock won't be killing each other all the time. But little scraps chickens have are often enough for them... I mean think of it, they peck at each other, picking each other apart bit by bit. Maybe it's not a huge issue that makes free-range unworthy of consideration, but it's still a funny fact to me.

Free range usually tastes a lot better than typically farmed chicken, but they often aren't very meaty.

Gotta love growing up on a farm.
I'd laugh when I would watch Sesame Street, and the kids from the Bronx had to be bussed to the farm. They didn't even know what a cow was.

I'm with you on the duck/goose, definately.
I couldn't survive eating it all the time though. So fatty.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #38
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
bumping an old thread.

Is there any place where I can buy hot pot meat for a decent price? So far all I've checked was TnT but it seemed kind of pricey that I rather just go to a restaurant. I'm not a meat expert nor do I do much grocery shopping so I don't really know what's a good deal or what is good quality meat.

Any help would be appreciated (especially by tomorrow since I'm planning on having it tomorrow. lol). Thanks in advance

Edit: I will be checking out nikuya tomorrow by the way from what people have said in this thread and also because I live near.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS

Two EE's for produce. Cheap, fresh, and high turnover. Surrey, Fraser and 164th.

Glory Meats for, well, meats. Cheaper than the supermarkets, always a good cut of meat when I go there. 144th and 104th in Surrey.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #40
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
just eat buffalo there on a special diet
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #41
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekDragon View Post
Two EE's for produce. Cheap, fresh, and high turnover. Surrey, Fraser and 164th.

Glory Meats for, well, meats. Cheaper than the supermarkets, always a good cut of meat when I go there. 144th and 104th in Surrey.
Here's where me and my friends have been buying hot pot meat for a couple years.

Han Kook Meats
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Han+Kook+Meat,+Vancouver,+British+Columbia,+Canada&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=60.764775,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=Han+Kook+Meat,&hnear=Vancouver,+Greater+Vancouver+Regional+District,+British+Columbia,+Canada&ll=49.231954,-123.029548&spn=0.006221,0.016512&z=17&iwloc=A
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #42
I STILL don't get it

Where can I buy European specifically German bread? Dinkelbrot mit Sonnenblumen?
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #43
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

korean market on broadway a little west of fraser has cheap hotpot meat. not the best cuts, a little thicker than norm, but I don't mind for the quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
bumping an old thread.

Is there any place where I can buy hot pot meat for a decent price? So far all I've checked was TnT but it seemed kind of pricey that I rather just go to a restaurant. I'm not a meat expert nor do I do much grocery shopping so I don't really know what's a good deal or what is good quality meat.

Any help would be appreciated (especially by tomorrow since I'm planning on having it tomorrow. lol). Thanks in advance

Edit: I will be checking out nikuya tomorrow by the way from what people have said in this thread and also because I live near.
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2010, 06:58 AM   #44
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Thanks guys will check out the places in richmond and vancouver first. If worst comes to worst I will go check out surrey but its kind of far for me lol.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #45
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Where can I buy fresh duck? Either whole or legs/breasts? Not confit like at oyama
Posted via RS Mobile
unit is offline   Reply With Quote