REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #701
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Advertisement

Last edited by RacePace; 02-09-2011 at 02:02 PM.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #702

Last edited by RacePace; 02-09-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #703
I don't get it

Any teams recruiting right now?
Right side female paddler, been paddling since 2007 but haven't gotten back on the water for the past two seasons. I was a stroke for my previous team.
I'm helping with coaching a junior team this coming season, practicing out of False Creek on Sundays but that's not gonna give me a chance to really paddle, so I'm looking for a stable team with more experienced paddlers. Preferably practicing out of False Creek.

PM me pls! Ty
NimbeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #704
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

so im joining dragonboating this year!!!
i have two options, which are either red fusion or splash test dragon.
any recommendations? =D
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #705

Hmm, why are those your two options?

I think Tapioca paddles with Red Fusion, or used to, could PM him for more info
Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #706
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Agreed with EvilBroScientist, there are PLENTY of teams to choose from but does age group matter to you? And competitive level?

IIRC, Red Fusion's age range is more on the younger side (20s-30s) whereas Splash Test Dragons are older? (some in their 20s,30s,40s)

Although turn around rates are high for some teams (with people joining diff. teams and such) and certain teams aim to make significant jumps, here's last year's standings if it matters to you.

http://www.dragonboatwest.net/index.php?page=15 (Ranked based on outcomes of races in BC, although I don't if it's been updated since Alcan).
xXDragonXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #707
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_4life View Post
so im joining dragonboating this year!!!
i have two options, which are either red fusion or splash test dragon.
any recommendations? =D
What are your goals?
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #708

i just got contacted by dragon heart beat, so that is another option i have. i think i will go check out the three teams during their practice this week.
my goals?
-i want to meet new people (around my age, im 20)
-i get quite competitive, so i want to win
-i want to work hard and achieve victory
-gain new experience
-have fun
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #709

You could and should probably join a more competitive team than the ones you mentioned. The Beat will probably be more competitive than the first two teams, you should get practicing soon (like this weekend) because most teams are well into training already and will have races soon.

You could join an even more competitive team next year or jump to other teams later on in the season for more races.

Have a feeling you'll cross paths with us soon enough
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #710

More competitive teams that were recruiting as of a few weeks ago:
- Dragon Hearts Ultimate
- Lifescan
- Riptide (I think)
- Starbucks

The beat, red fusion and splash test dragons are unlikely to win anything.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
More competitive teams that were recruiting as of a few weeks ago:
- Dragon Hearts Ultimate
- Lifescan
- Riptide (I think)
- Starbucks

The beat, red fusion and splash test dragons are unlikely to win anything.
Damn, cold as fuck cuz

There are more competitive teams, but they might be too much so for a newbie starting later in the season. Riptide and Starbucks particularly who are going to Hong Kong, and wouldn't take you along with them. Lifescan's a good team, Dragon Hearts Ultimate might be tough to break into, they are a really competitive team.
RGL United is another one that I originally started out with and might need guys. Great coach, and like to have a bit of fun too. Would probably more accommodating to a newbie.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #712

so today i went and checked out the Beat and....because of my lack of experience, i couldn't keep up with their rhythm when they are going at 80 percent...
im happy i went cause its definitely a new experience, but im not happy with how i did.
Not going to give up though, gonna keep working at it.
Btw, it really is a PITA!!! =D
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #713

The upside with Beat this year is that there's a lot of eager paddlers and their boat is looking pretty full throughout their practices which is a positive. Because my team last year is now defunct, a couple of my teammates are coaching Beat (in fact, all four teams that DaFonz mentioned have been invited to Hong Kong this year minus Ultimate, but the Beat is going). Beat and Ultimate are also planning on going to San Fran this year.. WHICH REMINDS ME, if either of you two are interested in forming a competitive mash up team to go down this year . Best of luck to both of you this weekend at your time trials, I'll be there to show my support and see if there's anything I can take for my own selection camp the following week

Anyways, if you heard anyone screaming like a maniac tonight, it was probably me. We crossed paths a couple of times today.

Last edited by xXDragonXx; 04-26-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #714

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_4life View Post
so today i went and checked out the Beat and....because of my lack of experience, i couldn't keep up with their rhythm when they are going at 80 percent...
im happy i went cause its definitely a new experience, but im not happy with how i did.
Not going to give up though, gonna keep working at it.
Btw, it really is a PITA!!! =D
Everybody is bad their first time, just keep working at it. There will be pain, and more pain lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDragonXx View Post
WHICH REMINDS ME, if either of you two are interested in forming a competitive mash up team to go down this year . Best of luck to both of you this weekend at your time trials, I'll be there to show my support and see if there's anything I can take for my own selection camp the following week
Depends on Tampa, vacation days, and $$ lol
Old 04-27-2011, 04:48 AM   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDragonXx View Post
The upside with Beat this year is that there's a lot of eager paddlers and their boat is looking pretty full throughout their practices which is a positive. Because my team last year is now defunct, a couple of my teammates are coaching Beat (in fact, all four teams that DaFonz mentioned have been invited to Hong Kong this year minus Ultimate, but the Beat is going). Beat and Ultimate are also planning on going to San Fran this year.. WHICH REMINDS ME, if either of you two are interested in forming a competitive mash up team to go down this year . Best of luck to both of you this weekend at your time trials, I'll be there to show my support and see if there's anything I can take for my own selection camp the following week
Who's in so far?

I dunno man.. sweeping San Fran last year is gonna be pretty hard to top.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #716
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'm looking into Dragon Boat for this season. I have no experience with this sport and will start by checking out a friend's open house this weekend.

If I do in fact decide to join, I would like to start strong and be able to compete. Any tips from seasoned vets for workouts, equipment recommendations or general tips you've gained over the years?

TIA
TylerY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #717

Don't skip a practice, nothing else trains you like the practices do. If you miss a week or two, you will feel it.

In the gym, I would focus on the compound exercises like deadlift and squat, and even the olympic lifts like cleans and snatches. You'll want to work on feeling what it's like to use your whole body into moving weight (then translate that into doing paddling strokes)

If you need extra cardio, running helps, but I think the rowing erg is probably better albeit painful
Old 01-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #718

Old 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #719

Yeah, as RacePace iterated, it's really a full body action when you're performing it rather than just arms as it appears to the public while they're watching the race. There's a bunch of different exercises you can do in the gym, but water time is going to help you first and foremost. Don't miss practice like anything!

Once you get comfortable with you're paddling, and you're looking to improve more, you may want to look into outrigger canoe to really learn the sport and get your conditioning up.

FCRCC - OC1 Orientations - 2012
(Does need a membership to the Canoe Club, but you can get a month trial if you want at first). Where's your team paddling out of?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #720
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Full body action. You won't last 200 meters arm paddling. Since you are new, I would suggest attend every practice and really pay attention to everything especially the technique. Proper paddling technique (full body pull) and being in sync with your team is the most important thing. Brute force is not. It helps if you have somebody experienced sit behind you and teach you.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #721

Hey Nlkko, what team do you paddle on and what's your name?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #722

I don't paddle anymore because of a bad back. I am steering for my gf's team, CC Riders. Pretty amateur team haha. Alex from Booze Cruise is our coach. You might know him

You're with FCRCC? You guys won last year Alcan, didn't you? Pretty hardcore team.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
I don't paddle anymore because of a bad back. I am steering for my gf's team, CC Riders. Pretty amateur team haha. Alex from Booze Cruise is our coach. You might know him

You're with FCRCC? You guys won last year Alcan, didn't you? Pretty hardcore team.
Hahah no, I'm with One West, the team that lost to FCRCC by .23 seconds to come second overall. Last year we were that young, U23 crew that yelled everywhere =P

RacePace and DaFonz are on FCRCC though. Regardless, great to see more paddlers on RevScene!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #724

DaFonz is a former member *ahem*
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #725

Anyone still paddle?

I decided to start this year. Steering is way too boring.

Have been training since September. I paddle out of Dragon Zone. Their boats are green. If you see some dude on a DZ's single at night, that's probably me. Says hi.