REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #151
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Who's going to the beer garden after Alcan? It might be nice to put some faces to names here...
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #152
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts

Last edited by RacePace; 01-26-2012 at 07:44 AM.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #153
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Richie Bros., they have a ad on dragon boat west, but that also happens to be the company team of two RGL girls, so I'm going to tag along with them and have some fuuuuuuunnnn, know what I'm sayin?
lol, hopefully for you, those 2 are the single ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Who's going to the beer garden after Alcan? It might be nice to put some faces to names here...
I'm not going to be able to
TracerFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #154
I bringith the lowerballerith

I'm missing the regatta this weekend, but will probably be on the water in some type of boat on sunday morning. I used to be known as "the tall white guy thats always paddling", but its been a while since I've spent 7 days/week on the water. I'll probably be in an OC1 or a K1 wearing the previous FCRCC jersey.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #155

Last edited by RacePace; 01-26-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #156

OCs are easy and fun and a great learning/practicing tool. and as soon as I eat some breakfast, I'll be on my way down for some paddling in the sun.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #157

Do we have to do the capsize drill before we go in them? I don't want to get dunked in dirty false creek water lol
Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #158
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Do we have to do the capsize drill before we go in them? I don't want to get dunked in dirty false creek water lol
Don't they have Huli drills at the Vancouver Aquatic center every so often? I remember doing it a few years back. Pogue (or Vancouver Water sports or whatever they are called now) held the drills out there on a Friday evening if I remember correctly.

I don't know if it's required, but I thought it's good to know especially for OC's.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #159

So far as I remember, you have to do one of those intro courses with False Creek and a huli drill/practice is included in that. back when I started, nothing like that was organized and learned the hard way, twice, in freezing cold water, at the very beginning of my very first practice with the Men. This is perfect weather for it. I'm just about to head down now, if you want a quick intro to OC.

*Edit* the huli-drill is a must-know in my opinion. saves you, and it saves the boat. I should be getting onto the water around noon if you make it down by then.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #160

I'm working today, but if you're going on Sunday morning too, I'll take up your offer
Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #161

Be there bright and early... Ready to be on the water at 7am.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #162

Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
Don't they have Huli drills at the Vancouver Aquatic center every so often? I remember doing it a few years back. Pogue (or Vancouver Water sports or whatever they are called now) held the drills out there on a Friday evening if I remember correctly.

I don't know if it's required, but I thought it's good to know especially for OC's.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Be there bright and early... Ready to be on the water at 7am.
Huli is a REQUIRED for OC'ing, and its best to get it done over with the moment your butt plops down on one. Do it near the dock in case you get into trouble. (huli is damn easy if you have upper body strength, kinda like getting ur body off the swimming pool)

My coach always says renting a pool does not simulate what you will really be in. A pool is warm and fuzzy, but we are in Canada, you have to huli where you need to recover. That is why huli'ing in False Creek will help prepare you the most when flipping actually happens (paddler error, strong waves, other boats)

I remember one Sunday afternoon my steersman and I huli'ed so many times (8 times!) while we were trying (and succeeding!) in flying the ama for fun after we read some articles on Huki's website lol

Best time for newbies to perform a huli is Sundays after 10am, while noon-1 pm is optimum because the sun has warmed up the water a tad bit to lessen the shock on the body (for those more susceptible to chillier waters)

Some tips:

- Steering is easy but most newcomers find it tricky, just remember, step left, go left and, step right, go right.

- Always keep right, and ALWAYS yield to other motorized boats, annoying Aquabuses especially.

- Be aware of where ur paddle is when u huli, ur doggy paddle ability is < waves

- When u go with Alex and if he lets you try the C-Lion, remember that its a lil bit more tippy (than say outriggers..)

If you like OC and does time trial, u might be interested to try out the ERG, it helps abit in terms of OC and DB in general. (make sure that u do power setting 10 though lol)

I'm tempted to say, "Dont break his cherry too rough Alex"

Enjoy your first time!

*EDIT: I forgot to say, speaking of dirty false creek water, a few Magnum flipped during 200m time trial last summer, in COLIFORM contaminated waters...this was the times when they were giving out warning to paddlers of any sport not to go in the water hahaha!

Last edited by TracerFX; 06-04-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #164

Bleh. Rain forecast for tomorrow. Thats no fun. Don't wear cotton.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #165

I actually went for my first time last night with my team captain. I was just paddling along and then I huli'ed lol, so I know how to do that now. Steering is difficult for me, it's more than just stepping on the pedals
Old 06-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #166

Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #167

Quote:
Damnit, we didn't do that well today. Rate and timing was just off today
better luck tomm dude

Quote:
Steering is difficult for me, it's more than just stepping on the pedals
I dont know if you ride a motorcycle or a bicycle, but it has similar principle as counter-steering. hope that helps.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #168

Steering problems can also be due to improper paddling (ie. not keeping paddle anchored, drawing/prying at the end of the stroke, drawing at the front of the stroke, etc etc). The weather forecast has changed to sun w/ clouds. I'll take out a K1 and you can show me how much of an expert you are now while you watch me see if I can still paddle them after 2 years of not.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #169
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Damnit, we didn't do that well today. Rate and timing was just off today
Regattas are just tune-ups before the big one in a couple of weeks.

I have to say that we exceeded my expectations, but we definitely had nothing left in the tank by the third race. We'll be working on that in the next couple of weeks.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Steering problems can also be due to improper paddling (ie. not keeping paddle anchored, drawing/prying at the end of the stroke, drawing at the front of the stroke, etc etc). The weather forecast has changed to sun w/ clouds. I'll take out a K1 and you can show me how much of an expert you are now while you watch me see if I can still paddle them after 2 years of not.

improper paddling causing him to huli as well?

haha, i would love to be on the water, but this year is a half season for me since i wont be back in Vancity until July, excitedly anticipating Harrison till then hehe
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #171

Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #172

Yeah, I was impressed with the lack of huli-ing.

Like I said, if you wanted it enough, between now and next Alcan, you could be fighting for a seat on FCRCC Mens A. Just lots of water time to build up the endurance and speed.

I won't be back from thailand until the end of the month and then I'll be doing some training for the WPFG. If you don't mind playing catch-up during rest periods like I did when I first started, I'll let you know when I'm out on the water. I find it a good way to train, always trying to keep up with the other guys who are faster than me as it helps drive me to work harder than I think I can. My times for time trials are always fastest when I have someone to chase.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #173

Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #174
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
I used the rowing machine at Sports Central last night and damn that machine kicked my ass
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #175

Quote:
More than 10 seconds slower in a Buk than 2 weeks ago is unacceptable.
You cant compare times with 2 weeks ago let alone a few hours ago.
False Creek tide conditions are always changing and depending on that factor, the boat times may vary greatly.

That is why in a whole day's race, you cant compare your boat times in the different heats you raced, only compare the differentials with the other boats on your heat. There is the term for this, but it escapes me at the moment.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure now I huli'ed on my first time because I leaned out while paddling on my right. Too used to dragonboating
Funny story, last year one of my team mates who's heavy (220 pound ish?) sat on a Montgomery for the first time and it had the shitty thin ass ama and he flipped over, left side LOL

Quote:
I'll chase my RGL boys first, then I want to see how fast the FCRCC boys are
Taken out of context def sounds wrong hahhahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I used the rowing machine at Sports Central last night and damn that machine kicked my ass
Where is this sports central?