REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #26
I bringith the lowerballerith

Hm... I've never experienced dry 40*C... only tropical. Should be an interesting experience.

Are you suggesting to buy some blue socks and bring them with me? Or wait to see what they issue, and try to find socks that look similar? Same deal with white socks, or do they issue regular sports/crew socks in white?

I've got a pair of those $5 Old Navy flip flops... I'll be sure to pack them with me.
Advertisement
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
RS Peace Officer

I totally forgot about the flip flops, but yes you will need them. About 500 people use the same showers in the fitness gym and the PDT gym. So if any of them have athlete's foot or antyhing like that, you will get it. Most of the time you don't have time to dry off properly after showering, so you are basically putting your soaking wet feet into socks and then into shoes for the rest of the day. If anything is a breeding ground for gross stuff, that is it.

As far as socks go, just buy some black or dark blue sport socks to go with the uniform and some long (ie. not ankle socks) white sport socks to go with your fitness uniform. You might get in trouble for both, but it is worth it.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #28
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

For the record, it was Five-Oh who told me to bring flip flops
PR0WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

anyone know anything about E.R.T? i cant seem to find where they train at?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #30
RS Peace Officer

They train all over the place depending on what they're training on. You need a certain amount of service before you can even apply to ERT. If you're not a member yet, don't even bother looking into it because it is a long ways away.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #31

What kind of camera should I bring? A point-and-shoot, or a DSLR? I'm a bit of a shutterbug... I'm guessing there won't be any "photo-ops" during any of the training... It'd be something just for the weekends/free time?
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 01-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #32
RS Peace Officer

If you like photography bring whatever camera you want. There are lots of opportunities to take pictures during the training and I'd recommend taking as many as you can. It would be good if your camera can take video too. I have a video of me getting tear gassed and it is pretty funny to watch yourself in the gas chamber.

Also, everyone in the troop gets a job and one of the jobs is the photographer. The photographer takes a ton of pictures, makes a picture board to display at the grad weekend, and makes a CD of a whole bunch of pictures for all the troopmates.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #33

DSLR it is, along with my laptop in order to move all the photos off the memory card at the end of each day, and to process. I'll bring my point and shoot for the video bits. Although, I already feel like I'm over-packing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Five-Oh
I have a video of me getting tear gassed and it is pretty funny to watch yourself in the gas chamber.
Youtube is your friend and ours.

Last edited by sho_bc; 01-26-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #34
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
ahh is is kind of off topic but still related

i was wondering if i take criminal justice at langara would increase my chance of being accepted to the depot?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 AM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Five-Oh
I have a video of me getting tear gassed and it is pretty funny to watch yourself in the gas chamber.
Quote:
Originally posted by sho_bc
Youtube is your friend and ours.
+1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #36
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally posted by k2_alpha
ahh is is kind of off topic but still related

i was wondering if i take criminal justice at langara would increase my chance of being accepted to the depot?
same question applies to me, but i am only going for a certificate
Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #37

If you are in the the school system working towards a degree, diploma or even certificate and you want to eventually become a police officer then if i were you id still apply.

If you are taking classes, it wont hurt to fill out an application. Worse case scenario you dont make it in, but you'll have some of the application filled out for when you apply again or maybe they'll just defer you til you graduate.

BEST case scenario - you get hired and you dont have to go to school! Then when you get back you could even finish your schooling on your days off and I think the Force will cover the expenses
Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #38
Rs has made me the man i am today!

An odd question but during depot, is any part of the uniform that you need to wear made of wool?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 02:05 AM   #39

The Red Serge is wool
Old 01-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #40
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Which, when worn in Billings Montana in July in 110 degree F temp, or Dallas texas in 99% humidity and 95 degree F, is VERY hot. Trust me on this one
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #41
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally posted by skidmark
Most of the stuff I needed aside from civilian dress I ended up buying either in the canteen at Depot or from the stores in Regina. I really can`t think of anything that I thought I should have brought from home and hadn`t.

Of course, that was 25 years ago now when they issued just about everything to you and will probably be somewhat different now.
They also paid us to be there Tim..... oh by the way the took the horses away too...... (just kidding yournot quite that old) yet.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:09 AM   #42
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox1096
An odd question but during depot, is any part of the uniform that you need to wear made of wool?

Thanks
Yes......

As noted Red Serge and puffy pants are made with wool so are the wipe cord pants...... If they still issue them.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #43

No wipe cord pants you can 1216 them tho
Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #44
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You mean whipcords? Wish we still had them for cold weather wear. Got them in B Div and I hear for Northern Service, along with mukluks.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #45

Just a question regarding the first posting. I got the impression at the information session way back when that the first posting would be a few years, at least. I've since had aux officers and volunteers tell me that it'll be just 6 months to a year kind of gig. Which is it?
I'd rather have the few years bit.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #46

It depends on where you go, there are postings called "limited duration posting" but even those are a few years. Theres a guy in Surrey that has done his entire service there (over 30 years). Most first postings are at least a few years.

Last edited by PR0WL; 02-05-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #47

Thanks, thats what I thought. I wouldn't see how such a short stint would be benificial to anyone, especially as a first posting.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #48

i've got a question with regards to the hiring of RCMP offficers. My dad is reading a book on the history of the RCMP, and there is specific mention in it about people being hired on as "regular members" and people being hired on as commissioned officers, similar to that of military fashion. Is that still done today, or are all members hired on equally, with those earning promotions, getting them sort of thing?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #49

Our current commissioner William Elliot was never a regular member... that should answer your question
Old 02-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #50

Not quite, because I was under the impression that he is the first non-regular member to have ever been appointed to the position of commissioner.

But then, following my own words of wisdom, and those frequently posted here, I searched, and found this:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/factsheets/fact_badges_e.htm
which explains that they are all (except in the case of the current commissioner) regular members who have been appointed to that position (for the higher-ups) and/or earned their rank (for the not quite-so higher-ups).