REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #51
I bringith the lowerballerith

What sort of martial arts and/or combative training happens at Depot? Is it all done in sweats/shorts and t-shirts, or are there gis provided, or ....? Just wondering if I should pack my judogi or leave it out to bring with me. (I HATE breaking in new gis, and would rather wear my own which is nicely worn if they're used at Depot)
Advertisement
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #52
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

They will issue one to you... and dont worry its already broken in
PR0WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #53

mmmm, i get to smell someone else's recycled sweat? alright!
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 04-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #54
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
any tips on how to prep for the popat?

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #55

there are pre-runs/unofficial runs of the PARE held at the YMCA on 49th. It helped me visualize what the course layout would be like, for timing and pacing. My last 2 PARE tests were 3min14 and 3min16. I averaged 21 seconds/lap and then took my time with the push-pull knowing that I had LOTS of time to spare.

Other than that, make sure you're not a blob, in decent shape, and having decent core strength helps as well for getting up after the hurdles and during the push-pull.

Last edited by sho_bc; 04-02-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #56

Well, I leave on the 11th, and I had a few more questions, as my contact at recruiting is running around franticly trying to co-ordinate everyone from the lower mainland leaving the same day (the whole troop is apparently going to be from here).

After graduation, when assigned a detachment, is there anything set in place to aid in finding a place to live, even if only a temporary location?

I was told today that they've changed the policy on driving out, so in order for me to get out to the Wascana Canoe Club whenever I have time, are there buses that run close by Depot that would bring me close to the lake? It looks somewhat close on Googlemaps, but I thought I'd ask.

Oh yeah, one more thing, with regards to the laundry/dry cleaning. Is that a user-pay thing, or do you just bring your own soap, hope there is a machine free, and have at it?

Thanks!

Last edited by sho_bc; 05-02-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #57
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

First of all, congrats on making it to Depot.

About a month before you leave Depot you should have heard from your trainer. I get the odd email from trainers asking if anyone has a basement suite to rent for their recruit. Some people post up rooms for rent on the Detachment boards as well. If you don't have a place to live at the time you grad you'll be living in a hotel and the force will pick up the cost... for a limited time. I think it's something like 21-30 days. After that you're on your own.

I have no idea on the policy about driving out. Wascana Lake is about 10km from Depot and accessible by bus. There's a bus stop outside of the guard room.

You'll be given a laundry card when you arrive. If you're lucky it might have some cash on it from the previous Cadet. If not you can load it outside of the guard room. It's like a buck or two a load. You're responsible for purchasing your own soap.

Last edited by NiKoBC; 05-02-2008 at 08:06 PM.
NiKoBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKoBC View Post
First of all, congrats on making it to Depot.

About a month before you leave Depot you should have heard from your trainer. I get the odd email from trainers asking if anyone has a basement suite to rent for their recruit. Some people post up rooms for rent on the Detachment boards as well. If you don't have a place to live at the time you grad you'll be living in a hotel and the force will pick up the cost... for a limited time. I think it's something like 21-30 days. After that you're on your own.

I have no idea on the policy about driving out. Wascana Lake is about 10km from Depot and accessible by bus. There's a bus stop outside of the guard room.

You'll be given a laundry card when you arrive. If you're lucky it might have some cash on it from the previous Cadet. If not you can load it outside of the guard room. It's like a buck or two a load. You're responsible for purchasing your own soap.
Thanks! And thanks for the info.
Up until a few weeks ago, according to the cadet handbook (I haven't checked to see if its been changed online yet), it was ok for cadets to drive out, but that there was limited parking available on-site. On the phone today, I was told they had changed that policy and there was no longer any more parking available to cadets.
Kind of a shame, as I'll be restricted on paddling gear I can bring with me (ie. no PFD and maybe not even my kayak paddle), and be stuck for storage, unless I can arrange storage with the WRCC. I don't suppose storing a rifle case under the bed would make much sense (I keep my kayak paddle in a rifle case for protection).
Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #59

If you're in a dorm there's a luggage room where I'm sure you could store a paddle. Nothing goes under the beds except your black bins. We had a guy bring his guitar out. Others bring golf clubs etc. If I were you I'd try and just borrow a paddle once you're out there.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #60

They cost a whack of money (mine was $550cdn), and are generally made-to-spec for each paddler. Mine is an adjustable two-piece design, and is super long for my ape-like arms. My club here doesn't have any club paddles that are long enough for me. I'll probably bring it with me in its regular carrying case, just in case. I've been told that there are a small handful of regular members stationed at Depot who paddle out of WRCC as well, so maybe I can arrange something. *shrug*
Old 05-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #61

Talked with WRCC, they have a place to store my paddle. I'll probably have it Greyhounded out once I'm settled and over the initial shock to my brain from having to fill it with new information again.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #62

On my list of "recommended items to bring", it mentions an iron. Would that before for ironing the sheets? Or....?

Also, upon arrival, do they shave our heads military style, or is a very short/crew cut sufficient? I was considering trimming my hair before I left, but if they're going to shave it anyway, I'd rather not spend the money.

Last edited by sho_bc; 05-06-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #63
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
On my list of "recommended items to bring", it mentions an iron. Would that before for ironing the sheets? Or....?

Also, upon arrival, do they shave our heads military style, or is a very short/crew cut sufficient? I was considering trimming my hair before I left, but if they're going to shave it anyway, I'd rather not spend the money.
Don't bring an iron, try and get one from the graduating troop or just buy one from Wal-Mart. You will use it for ironing your shirts, pants, and bed sheets.

They don't do anything to your hair when you arrive, it is up to you to get something done to your hair. Your best bet is just to go to the barber on base. There is extremely specific criteria as to what your haircut has to be, so you might as well just go to the Depot barber and get a $4 haircut and know it is done right.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
Don't bring an iron, try and get one from the graduating troop or just buy one from Wal-Mart. You will use it for ironing your shirts, pants, and bed sheets.

They don't do anything to your hair when you arrive, it is up to you to get something done to your hair. Your best bet is just to go to the barber on base. There is extremely specific criteria as to what your haircut has to be, so you might as well just go to the Depot barber and get a $4 haircut and know it is done right.
cost is now $6.50. I got an LA today for my hair being too long... it was less than 1cm long, but I knew I was pushing it at the back.

Question: Do you guys maintain the "depot" haircut still?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #65

Quote:
cost is now $6.50. I got an LA today for my hair being too long... it was less than 1cm long, but I knew I was pushing it at the back.

Question: Do you guys maintain the "depot" haircut still?
No. But.. If you start too look too shaggy you may get a "cut your damn hair" from your Cpl., but that's VERY rare. Most of the time you don't even get a second look if you "forget" to shave for a day.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Anyone who tells you that it was fun is either a liar, has a very bad memory, or has a really warped sense of fun. Feeling the badge in your hand at the end makes it all worthwhile though.
Quote:
I think I'll be one of those people who says it was fun at the end of it.
La di da... I actually get an extra hour of sleep tomorrow, so I'm dragging this back from the dead as I do research for something else. Now that I've been finished for a bit, I can reflect on my time at Depot and honestly think to myself, "That was fun". My memory of it is intact and I rarely lie. I guess that means my sense of fun is really warped.... I'm ok with that.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #67
My homepage has been set to RS

During the application process, I heard they hook you up to a lie detector and ask you shock questions? I am only asking because a friend of mine applied and was asked crazy things!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #68

"Shock questions"? Please define what you mean by that. Some people may find the questions shocking, but by the time you get to the polygraph the questions shouldn't shock you as you are given the list of questions well before the polygraph. And before the polygraph test is hooked up and begun, you're given word-for-word what will be asked. You're free to get up and leave at any point, but your application will be terminated.

If your friend has been sharing what was asked, that is a serious issue as you aren't supposed to tell anyone what is asked and sign legal documents stating that you will keep that information confidential.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #69
I STILL don't get it

do they give difficulty to new recruits who have a lot of tattoos?
143what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #70
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
since this is bumped up- do they care about recruits that smoke?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 143what View Post
do they give difficulty to new recruits who have a lot of tattoos?
I had thought they might, but when I was there, there were plenty of people with tattoos, male and female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyvious View Post
since this is bumped up- do they care about recruits that smoke?
There might be people who will try to get you to stop, but there are always cadets that smoke, and designated smoking areas.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #72

Because others may benefit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 143what
how was the depot?
Depot was lots of fun. I didn't think it was hard or tough enough, but I come from a military family and had higher expectations in terms of physical requirements and mental challenge. Thats not to say that it wasn't hard, because I did find some aspects of it quite challenging, and I also love being under that kind of pressure. Everyone there is rooting for you to do well and is willing to help you if you're willing to help yourself. Really, the only person that can screw up the awesome opportunity you have being there, is you.

There is lots of physical activity, lots of reading, lots of assignments, and not a whole lot of sleep. ...Well, unless you're one of those people I was always jealous of who were asleep by 10pm every night.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #73
I STILL don't get it

sho_bc,

i have 2 sleeves, do you think that'd be ok?
143what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #74

I don't know what your tattoos look like, and I'm not the one making the decisions, but I saw several people with full sleeves on one of their arms when I was there.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #75
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
There is lots of physical activity, lots of reading, lots of assignments, and not a whole lot of sleep. ...Well, unless you're one of those people I was always jealous of who were asleep by 10pm every night.
I was one of those people!!!

As far as having full sleeves, I don't think it would be an issue as long as what you have on there is tasteful.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote