REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 11-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #8501
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I was actually quite surprised by the critics responses to this movie on RT... However I guarantee most user reviews will be 9/10 or 10/10 most of the time (except from the people who like Transformers and Adam Sandler movies). This is because there are definitely some flaws (the script can be weak and cheesy, and some characters are just plot devices) and people tend to try to sound smart by pointing out those flaws, trying to put too much importance on them. Also everyone has their own taste in movies, and you have to know what each critic is like. If you agree with that guy 99% of the time, you might not like this movie. I have no idea who that is, or what his tastes in movies are however. That's why I like threads like this.. I have an idea of the types of movies people like, and know how much weight to put in their opinions. (for instance I can guarantee StylinRed will HATE this movie because I liked it so much )

In my opinion, there are movies where the characters are the highlight (most PT Anderson and QT movies) and there are movies where the plot is the highlight (this movie, Gravity, most sci-fi movies actually). Just like I mentioned after watching Fury last week, the plot was weak but the characters were interesting, so I enjoyed it overall. In this movie most of the characters are weak (but the mains are good enough, and Mathew M was fantastic) and the plot, action, intensity, and visual effects were mind blowing for me.

Overall if you're a sci-fi or science fan, it's an absolute must-see. Especially if you enjoy theoretical physics and astronomy.

I just can't get it out of my head, and I'll probably go see it again on IMAX next week.
I was so choked to find out the differences between IMAX and 70mm IMAX. I just assumed that IMAX was IMAX.

I'm going to catch it in theatres this weekend, and if it's worthy of the drive I'm going to head down to Seattle to watch it in 70mm IMAX to soak it all in. From the reviews I've read, it's really a different experience when you watch it in IMAX and expecially 70mm IMAX.
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2014, 03:28 AM   #8502
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 17,026 Times in 5,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I was so choked to find out the differences between IMAX and 70mm IMAX. I just assumed that IMAX was IMAX.

I'm going to catch it in theatres this weekend, and if it's worthy of the drive I'm going to head down to Seattle to watch it in 70mm IMAX to soak it all in. From the reviews I've read, it's really a different experience when you watch it in IMAX and expecially 70mm IMAX.
Same here, I'd have to go to Dong Guan to see it in 15/70mm... As much as I love the movie I don't think it's worth it, as tempting as it is. They might have even edited the movie, and I don't want to take the risk.

Also it's possible that they'd be showing the digital version anyway, and it would be difficult to get that information
Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #8503

For anyone interested, here's where I was awared on the different formats (very simplistic, but works):

https://interstellar.withgoogle.com/ways-to-see

Thankfully, Seattle isn't too far away (especially with a NEXUS pass), and I can make a trip out of it by going to the Cheesecake Factory (says the fiancee) or something of the like. I guess I'll find out later today whether I want to see it in IMAX.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #8504

So I got around to catching Interstellar (in UltraAVX) yesterday:

10/10

I think people (including myself) were hyping the movie a bit given it's Christopher Nolan, and given his last non-Batman movie was quite the blockbuster (Inception). Reading reviews now, it looks like it's really polarizing people one way or another- they either loved it, or absolutely hated it. However, I noticed that a lot of the "bad" reviews stem from bad movie science which doesn't help when the production team is touting it as the "most accurate representation" of what they depict. But given that the movie is classified as Sci-Fi, you should just give them a pass on the lack of accuracy.

That all said, it's not as "blockbuster-y" as Inception imo. Interstellar starts off slow, and has some slow parts in the middle. It all means something and works towards the end, but I can see how it would be boring to some. While not as pulse-pounding as Inception was, there were a few parts in Interstellar where I was just in awe.

I'm going down to Seattle in order to watch it in 70mm IMAX just to be able to say I did it. But I don't think one really needs a second viewing to catch everything in Interstellar.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #8505

Thanked 2,467 Times in 876 Posts
nightcrawler 8/10. not a bad film at all imo.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #8506

Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,024 Posts
Edge of Tomorrow 8/10 - a little late to the party on this one but I really liked it. Fun, action, check your brain at the door type movie. Tom was funny and it had a good concept. Worth the watch for sure.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #8507
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,295 Times in 450 Posts

But always. 一生一世
8/10
good script, decent music. nicholas is jut way too good looking in the movie.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #8508
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,295 Times in 450 Posts

the movie sucked balls

Overheard 3 (窃听风云3) 6/10 script was so weak. please just use the same cast and make a diff movie. weak sauce.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:36 AM   #8509
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,281 Times in 1,373 Posts
john wick 8.0-8.4/10

i really liked how there were all these different factions within the underworld.
Spoiler!

fury 7/10
too cliche, too hollywood.
Spoiler!

interstellar 8.7/10
mind fuck, kinda slow. it seems a bit dumbed down having have to explain everything, and every theory just so "it's real". it's a fucking long movie, but i felt they also cut a lot of slow stuff out to speed it up. a lot of scenes were supposed to take place years apart, yet they just cut it so it's the next scene. there's really no sense of the "time" it took.
Spoiler!

my only complaint was when i watched it in IMAX, it felt like the bass was turned way too high. some of the quieter scenes talking, the bass from the background music was overwhelming, and i couldnt hear half the shit the people were saying the whole movie.
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #8510
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,004 Times in 290 Posts
interstellar 7/10

found it way too long, and a little drag imo.

not the movie for me.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #8511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
my only complaint was when i watched it in IMAX, it felt like the bass was turned way too high. some of the quieter scenes talking, the bass from the background music was overwhelming, and i couldnt hear half the shit the people were saying the whole movie.
It was like that in UltraAVX as well. Funny you mention you watched in IMAX, because I read a few IMAX reviews and comparisons and they seem to say that IMAX had better sound mixing to avoid that problem. I guess I'll see for myself.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #8512
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 2,502 Times in 709 Posts
Interstellar

10/10
Old 11-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #8513
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,663 Times in 411 Posts
Big Hero 6: 10/10

GF and I loved it. Definitely one of my favourite animated movies

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
Old 11-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #8514
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,004 Times in 290 Posts
Big Hero 6.

9/10.

great movie, would watch it again.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #8515

FURY

I love WW2 movies

8/10

I LOVED the last act in the film
Old 11-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #8516
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

interstellar
9.75/10
amazing film
Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #8517
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Interstellar 10/10.

I don't usually give 10. But C.Nolan deserved 10 for this one.

The feels bro. The feels!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #8518
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,252 Times in 456 Posts
Big Hero 6

9/10. Lots of laughs, great animation and a well written story. Disney Animation has really stepped up their game.

'03 Toyota Corolla CE 'Ace of Base' [2011 - 15th May 2016,
29th November 2016 - Spring 2017]
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Old 11-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #8519
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

interstellar 10/10
Old 11-15-2014, 01:23 AM   #8520
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,225 Times in 571 Posts
Big Hero 6 - 10/10

Loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #8521
rsx
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,348 Times in 799 Posts
Interstellar 6.7/10

Didn't live up to the hype. I though the score was amazing though.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #8522
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,872 Posts
Big Hero 6 here as well, 9/10 from me. The storyline wasn't anything special but the animation and comedy were well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
Old 11-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #8523
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Gone girl.

Such a mind fuck movie. That bitch is cray!!! My jaw was like :O the whole movie lmfao.
9/10
Old 11-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #8524
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Interstellar 6.7/10

Didn't live up to the hype. I though the score was amazing though.
I'm with you on this one.

I think I went in really really hoping that this would've been amazing... In the end I was let down.

Ultra AVX wasn't too bad... but I hear that it was really rushed to make it for IMAX which is why the mix was off.

Don't read the spoiler if you haven't seen it yet:
Spoiler!

06+ Yamaha R6 parts!

My Feedback
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2014, 03:23 AM   #8525
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,041 Times in 3,227 Posts
Interstellar 4/10

Couldn't agree with you more about the character buildup didn't give a damn about any of them but that didn't stop Nolan in trying to make their scenes excessively dramatic as if we cared

wrote a more elaborate reason as to why i didn't like it over in the interstellar thread
This post thanked by: