REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #601
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,391 Times in 270 Posts
she went to me when you took lights away from me....

anyways.. i went to holts.. tried on a 29 and 30 to compare.. and though the 29 fit me ... the salesman said 30 looked better on me.. because of my huge thighs and calves which made it look like it was tugging in my thigh area.. even metioned with the stretch, a 29 wouldnt do much and give me a nice looking silhouette
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #602
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Anyone try "unbranded" raw denim?
They're super cheap at Plenty. $80 a pair!
They had a couple different fits, but I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't get to try a pair on..

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #603
G
Banned (BBM)

^Saw that too. I think someone on here said it's cheaper at Urban Outfitters?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #604
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
They can be had for as low as $20 at UO when on sale. One of the rivets popped from the front pocket area, but hey I paid $20 lol.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #605
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
They can be had for as low as $20 at UO when on sale. One of the rivets popped from the front pocket area, but hey I paid $20 lol.

what's the point of getting raw denim if its cheap quality... the point of getting raw denim is so that you get quality fades, denim that will last longer so that the fades can show... if you're looking for cheap denim the old navy store is just around the corner...
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #606
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
what's the point of getting raw denim if its cheap quality... the point of getting raw denim is so that you get quality fades, denim that will last longer so that the fades can show... if you're looking for cheap denim the old navy store is just around the corner...
Who said it's cheap quality? Unbranded doesn't mean cheap. The company puts more money into the product rather than marketing, which the savings then get passed along to the consumer.

If you know anything about denim, you'll know that raw denim is pure denim that is not washed after it is dyed during production. It doesn't matter if there's stitching on the ass or not. Right away you can tell it's raw when you feel it. If the pocket stitching wasn't there and you touched 3 different pairs of raws, would you be able to tell which one is branded?

And what do you mean by "quality fades?" Any pair of raw denim will fade with wear over time. And theoretically, any pair of raw denim will "last longer" because of the lower amount of washes its been through.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
G
Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #607
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
i have 2 pairs of the black.. they have a sulfur smell to them.. and i cant stand it so its just in my closet.. if u want for cheap pm me XD

waist 30

you wont find any of the blue ones at UB in granville i dont think becuse they sell well enough at full price online.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #608
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse_x View Post
Who said it's cheap quality? Unbranded doesn't mean cheap. The company puts more money into the product rather than marketing, which the savings then get passed along to the consumer.

If you know anything about denim, you'll know that raw denim is pure denim that is not washed after it is dyed during production. It doesn't matter if there's stitching on the ass or not. Right away you can tell it's raw when you feel it. If the pocket stitching wasn't there and you touched 3 different pairs of raws, would you be able to tell which one is branded?

And what do you mean by "quality fades?" Any pair of raw denim will fade with wear over time. And theoretically, any pair of raw denim will "last longer" because of the lower amount of washes its been through.
There are differences that you can both see and feel when it comes to raw denim.

Where did the cotton come from? Cone mills in the US, Japanese denim or Italian? Whats the weight of the cotton?

What kind of dye is used? Is is organic or synthetic? Dipped how many times? Hand dipped or machine dipped? Black coated?

What kind of hardware is used? Heavy duty hardware? Color of hardware? Some even use pure gold or exotic materials for rivets. Is there a leather patch? What's the quality of the patch?

Subtle details like selvage coin pocket, double stitched back pocket for reinforcement, hidden rivets, and others.

So sometimes you pay more for the details but any raw denim is better than True Religion and others like it.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #609
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:

ok then tell me why so many people would rather buy denim like APCs and Naked and Famous rather than unbranded denim? everything about raw denim is about the quality

Naked and Famous and APCs are well-known because of their quality... they've established a reputation for jeans that give top-notch quality where you can pretty much expect jeans that give great fades and effects....

To a certain extent, most raw selvedge denim look the same, so the key element that sets them apart is their quality.. if you haven't noticed... brands like cheap monday don't fade for shit (i doubt there would be much difference in how much cheap monday and apc/n&f puts into their advertising) no matter how long you wear them for and yet they claim their jeans to be raw selvedge denim.....

in the end, yes if you look hard enough, you'll end up with a few gems here and there, but is it really worth it to throw away your money blindly for trial and error ending up with say 7 jeans 3 that are actually good quality, when you can buy 1 pair from the more well-established brands (ex. APC/n&f there are more but i will use them in this case) and for the most part, fully trust them to give you a pair of quality jeans?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #610
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
arent the unbranded jeans at uo made by the same people at n&f?
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #611
Treasure Chest MOD

well if that is true and they have to make separate line for denim at "UO", that must tell u something... why not make it a part of their own line? if they're going to put the same quality and materials on the same kind of jean... why not make it a part of their own line.... now i may be wrong... but something tells me its because they're not the same quality.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #612
PJ

Quote:
ok then tell me why so many people would rather buy denim like APCs and Naked and Famous rather than unbranded denim? everything about raw denim is about the quality

Naked and Famous and APCs are well-known because of their quality... they've established a reputation for jeans that give top-notch quality where you can pretty much expect jeans that give great fades and effects....

To a certain extent, most raw selvedge denim look the same, so the key element that sets them apart is their quality.. if you haven't noticed... brands like cheap monday don't fade for shit (i doubt there would be much difference in how much cheap monday and apc/n&f puts into their advertising) no matter how long you wear them for and yet they claim their jeans to be raw selvedge denim.....

in the end, yes if you look hard enough, you'll end up with a few gems here and there, but is it really worth it to throw away your money blindly for trial and error ending up with say 7 jeans 3 that are actually good quality, when you can buy 1 pair from the more well-established brands (ex. APC/n&f there are more but i will use them in this case) and for the most part, fully trust them to give you a pair of quality jeans?
Because most people don't know. N&F and Unbranded are the same people. N&F was originally supposed to be considered "unbranded," but they created the "Unbranded" line to completely cut out all marketing/advertising and produce only the product. N&F is promoted more because it's "branded." And is more appealing from the "brand." What do you mean by "better quality?" Weight of cotton? Types of dyes? Color of stitching and hardware? Most likely of course, something will be different.. or why separate them into two lines?

Where are you getting this information? I've seen plenty of faded raws that aren't N&F or APC.

Cheap Mondays. Looks faded to me.

Having said all this, I own everything from True Religions to Levi's. I see your point about buying one pair from a more established brand. I was just wondering if anyone's actually tried the $80 Unbranded pair, N&F's "understudy." If it's worth the extra X amount for the N&F patch, or are they virtually the same with minor differences like type of dye, color of stitching and hardware, etc..

I might pick up a pair of each and see how they go.. I mean how can you go wrong with raw anyways.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 02-15-2011 at 09:48 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #613
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Because most people don't know. N&F and Unbranded are the same people. N&F was originally supposed to be considered "unbranded," but they created the "Unbranded" line to completely cut out all marketing/advertising and produce only the product. N&F is promoted more because it's "branded." And is more appealing from the "brand." What do you mean by "better quality?" Weight of cotton? Types of dyes? Color of stitching and hardware? Most likely of course, something will be different.. or why separate them into two lines?

Where are you getting this information? I've seen plenty of faded raws that aren't N&F or APC.

Cheap Mondays. Looks faded to me.

Having said all this, I own everything from True Religions to Levi's. I see your point about buying one pair from a more established brand. I was just wondering if anyone's actually tried the $80 Unbranded pair, N&F's "understudy." If it's worth the extra X amount for the N&F patch, or are they virtually the same with minor differences like type of dye, color of stitching and hardware, etc..

I might pick up a pair of each and see how they go.. I mean how can you go wrong with raw anyways.
totally get you now haha. thanks for the clarification... still though, id show you a pic of my cheap mondays if i could, ive worn them for 8 months now, no wash and i still see no sign of fading...

looking at those pics makes me really wonder if im wearing them wrong... and i dont see how that could possibly happen... my pair has been the same since... well forever..
Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #614
Need to Seek Professional Help

lol you can't really wear your jeans wrong.. fades depend on your daily activities and what you do in your jeans. Say someone who wears their jeans and rides their bike everyday compared to another person who just sits in front of the computer all day in their raw denimz.
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #615
PJ

Quote:
totally get you now haha. thanks for the clarification... still though, id show you a pic of my cheap mondays if i could, ive worn them for 8 months now, no wash and i still see no sign of fading...

looking at those pics makes me really wonder if im wearing them wrong... and i dont see how that could possibly happen... my pair has been the same since... well forever..
I think it just depends how much you wear them... can't really wear a pair of jeans wrong? lol
I've never been able to get myself to wear a pair of Cheap Monday just cause they're all too skinny for my liking.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #616
Hopeless Romantic

The fades on those cheap monday jeans looks sick... Mine still have a long way to go...

Cop'd a pair of Thin Finn's the other day but I definitely think the pockets might be a little too "flashy" for me even though I do really like the fit/wash.

Definitely gonna give that Unbranded denim a try after this thread

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #617
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanner_ View Post
The fades on those cheap monday jeans looks sick... Mine still have a long way to go...

Cop'd a pair of Thin Finn's the other day but I definitely think the pockets might be a little too "flashy" for me even though I do really like the fit/wash.

i've recently got the thin finn slim jims as well, i actually like the back pocket, it's easy to "match" with your outfit rather than the signature orange stitching on the back pockets.

fyi, revolveclothing has a few william rasts for good prices $120-140 on sale right now.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #618
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:

some people actually rip the pocket stitching off... u could do that as well and you'd be able to wear it without it being too "flashy"
Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #619
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:

same here brah.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #620
Treasure Chest MOD

in general,its quite unfortunate to say that most people in Van wear nudies just for the brand and the logo on the back and not for the actual quality of the jean because it has the symbol on the back, much like true religions and rock and republics...

i guess its like killing to birds with one stone by getting nudies in van since you can meet the needs of Vancouver fashion as well as the needs of good quality denim...

bleh ppl that wear washed nudie denim disgust me.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #621
PJ

Quote:
Same.. They used to be exclusive to Urban Outfitters, but Plenty just started carrying them too.

http://sartoriallyinclined.blogspot....ded-denim.html

Quote:
Exclusive to Urban Outfitters and made by the same folks who produce Naked & Famous denim, Unbranded are for those looking to get their ass into a pair of raw selvedge without breaking the bank. All three styles, ranging from a hipster-ish skinny to a more 514-ish slim straight, are under 80 bones and contain no branding whatsoever, hence the name. They are an extremely basic, no frills jean featuring 14.5 oz of Japanese denim, copper-top hardware and a blank leather patch. The idea behind this collection is pretty cool - entry level selvedge that is about the denim, itself, and nothing more.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #622
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
in general,its quite unfortunate to say that most people in Van wear nudies just for the brand and the logo on the back and not for the actual quality of the jean because it has the symbol on the back, much like true religions and rock and republics...

i guess its like killing to birds with one stone by getting nudies in van since you can meet the needs of Vancouver fashion as well as the needs of good quality denim...

bleh ppl that wear washed nudie denim disgust me.
Sad to say it but although u may be right about people wearing Nudies for the brand and logo... they are NOWHERE in terms of quality. Most of their denim weigh in at less then 15oz and are not selvedge. Not to say if they are over 15oz or selvage will make jeans automatically quality but crotch blowouts are known to occur on most Nudies jeans.

IMO quality would be looking at brands like Skulls, Flathead, Imperial, Samurai, Pure Blue Japan, Momotaro. Otherwise, I would still rank Naked and Famous and APC over Nudie in terms of quality. You lose the Nudie backpocket stitching.....oh well.
DemonsBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #623
Hopeless Romantic

^ Yeah i'm considering removing the stitching on the back pocket...

How are you guys liking the rasts so far? Saw some chitchat about it a few pages back but no real commentary...

Heading to the states next weekend hopefully I can find some decent deals lol

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #624
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
^ Yeah i'm considering removing the stitching on the back pocket...

How are you guys liking the rasts so far? Saw some chitchat about it a few pages back but no real commentary...

Heading to the states next weekend hopefully I can find some decent deals lol
since you're going to the states, if you have a p.o. box, you can actually get the will rasts outlets down at desert hills to deliver it to your p.o box...they got a pretty huge selection there and some pretty nice styles... just never bought any cus i never really took a liking to will rasts..
Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #625
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsBlood View Post
Sad to say it but although u may be right about people wearing Nudies for the brand and logo... they are NOWHERE in terms of quality. Most of their denim weigh in at less then 15oz and are not selvedge. Not to say if they are over 15oz or selvage will make jeans automatically quality but crotch blowouts are known to occur on most Nudies jeans.

IMO quality would be looking at brands like Skulls, Flathead, Imperial, Samurai, Pure Blue Japan, Momotaro. Otherwise, I would still rank Naked and Famous and APC over Nudie in terms of quality. You lose the Nudie backpocket stitching.....oh well.
i agree... and this just tells you that Van places alot more emphasis on the logo than the jean itself....

on a side note, even though the deciding factor for me in jeans still is its quality i still cant justify paying the difference, going from n&fs at about $150 to flatheads at about $400, just for the minute quality differences... n&fs already meet my standards, so for the most part, i wouldn't feel like spending another couple bills just for the minute differences in quality(which im sure most denim heads with their substantially higher standards would definitely disagree)