REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 10-03-2003, 10:12 AM   #4626
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Like timpo said. Do not use Synthetic oil. it has man made additives that aren't meant to be burnt

As for rebuild prices. Depending on who you go to. 1800 for a place in Van... Not sure if thats removal.. But it can be done for under 2,000 if you want to rebuild yourself (rebuild videos available) you can do it for as cheap as 1300. Plus the tools to port. But also can be as expensive as 4g

Evan
Advertisement
88 Rx7 Turbo Deuce. 3 inch exhaust, FCD, intake, blitz blowoff valve, lowered, tinted, Apex'i Safc and a list as long as my arm

Last edited by DC450; 10-03-2003 at 10:13 AM.
DC450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:27 AM   #4627
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

use syn in a rotary its fine.. it was the old syn that couldnt burn properly.. many 3rd gen ppl are going to full Mobil 1.. and they have everything good to say about it..

buy ti have fun in it.. n/a's are good cars to beat on.. mine lasted 210,000 and i just did a T2 swap.. n/a is still going and just sold to someone else..
bcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:28 AM   #4628
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Must...open...rotary shop.

I should be breaking into my spare engine this weekend with the help of a friend. Finally found someone with a 54mm socket. Gonna be fun trying to snap 300ft/lbs with a breaker bar. Woot. I'm going to make sweet sweet love to the exhaust port when I get it apart. I'm leaning towards rebuilding it myself, and of course porting. The main goal right now is to get it apart and cleaned, I don't want that shit rusting on me.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:05 PM   #4629
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
OH MY GOD!!!! CHECK THIS OUT!!!

http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/r...g=1&vid=865979

"all synthetic oils used"
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 01:17 PM   #4630
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRx-7
Must...open...rotary shop.

I should be breaking into my spare engine this weekend with the help of a friend. Finally found someone with a 54mm socket. Gonna be fun trying to snap 300ft/lbs with a breaker bar. Woot. I'm going to make sweet sweet love to the exhaust port when I get it apart. I'm leaning towards rebuilding it myself, and of course porting. The main goal right now is to get it apart and cleaned, I don't want that shit rusting on me.
I broke that nut loose trying to get the pulley bolt loose.A 2 1/8 socket works wonders.

1988 Mazda B2200(Project Repu <----(For sale!!!!PM Me)http://photos3.hi5.com/0060/335/782/tm.xyx335782-02.jpg

2004 GMC CANYON SLE Crew cab 4x4(BIG Red)
Rx racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #4631
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Too many myths and debate on synthetic or not. Its up to you. Lots of reputable rotary shops even recommend synthetic. Its your beliefs against theirs. Like jeff said, these cars are one of a kind. I've driven a few cars and nothing feels like a 7. All 3 gens of them. I feel 'safe' in my 7. BTW TID MOD IN!!! Turbo lag WHAT?!?!?
t0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:04 PM   #4632

Coming out tonight tOmmy, WHAT?
Old 10-03-2003, 06:31 PM   #4633

Lol yeah. most likely friend's having huge party for the mech class with "promised" booty shaking ladies. Very tempting. But I'll pop by have a guy who's interested in getting into the whole 7 rotary craze.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:54 PM   #4634
Banned (BBM)

So basically...like any car...Take care of it, and it'll last? And ya know..don't beat the shit out of it and what not. You guys are convincing me, good to talk to people with the same cars.
_supras_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 07:06 PM   #4635

Lol half true. Maintain it but a little more anal like. Beating the car has guidlines to follow. IE: when temp is warm and oil is warmed. Beating the car would only help burn off the residue carbon that the oil injectors leave behind after being burned, because oil was never designed to be burned cleanly in a combustion chamber you need someway to get rid of it. 'Grandma'ing' the car will get you no where fast and would only reduce the life of the rotary. Basically do some 'spirited' driving every now and then to keep the interns from carbon build ups and you'll be fine.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:12 PM   #4636
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally posted by _supras_
So basically...like any car...Take care of it, and it'll last? And ya know..don't beat the shit out of it and what not. You guys are convincing me, good to talk to people with the same cars.
Only difference is with a rotary you DO need to beat on it once in a while. "Rev it out"

But yeah, the NAs aer very reliable, just keep on the maintenance, and don't ignore old hoses after putting it into the ditch (oops)
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 07:16 PM   #4637
Banned (BBM)

hah, so the carbon that is left behind, basically needs to be burned off by reving high, so this would be the time for "spirited" driving? CHeck the oil on a weekly basis? and take for the fun drive a week? And as for the old hoses...I'm assuming you can pick that shit up at any car shop..like lordco or whatever...
Or is it like Toyota...where they charge you $100+ for a Fuckin tube under a ft long..lol

Last edited by _supras_; 10-03-2003 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:46 AM   #4638
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
hah, so the carbon that is left behind, basically needs to be burned off by reving high, so this would be the time for "spirited" driving? CHeck the oil on a weekly basis? and take for the fun drive a week? And as for the old hoses...I'm assuming you can pick that shit up at any car shop..like lordco or whatever...
Or is it like Toyota...where they charge you $100+ for a Fuckin tube under a ft long..lol
Mazda gouges HARD, but you can pick up anything you need from elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally posted by abinga
You're all too white to be saying nigga, except for Jeff.
jeffraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 03:13 AM   #4639
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
And as for the old hoses...
Bulk hose from lordco is cheap. I blew an oil cooler hose and blew my engine, never trust old hoses.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 05:40 PM   #4640

Made the test LEDs for TPS adjustments. Couldn't be any easier with these babies
Old 10-04-2003, 06:16 PM   #4641

Good meet last night guys. Gotta have more of those. Good Times.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:49 PM   #4642

Quote:
AGREED.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2003, 10:54 PM   #4643
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
OWNED
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:59 AM   #4644
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally posted by t0mmy
Too many myths and debate on synthetic or not. Its up to you. Lots of reputable rotary shops even recommend synthetic. Its your beliefs against theirs. Like jeff said, these cars are one of a kind. I've driven a few cars and nothing feels like a 7. All 3 gens of them. I feel 'safe' in my 7. BTW TID MOD IN!!! Turbo lag WHAT?!?!?
I can't wait to build a TID once I see if this new turbo will work on my 84

1988 Mazda B2200(Project Repu <----(For sale!!!!PM Me)http://photos3.hi5.com/0060/335/782/tm.xyx335782-02.jpg

2004 GMC CANYON SLE Crew cab 4x4(BIG Red)
Rx racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 09:53 AM   #4645
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Definatly a good meet. Fun fun times.

About reliability, if you do not take car of the rotary the way a rotary needs to be cared for it will blow up early. The people I bought my car off had pretty much treated it like a regular piston engine and grandma driven it and shit. It poped at around 168k km. But I know of lots of people that have had 200+k km on their NA and still going. You gotta just be mroe careful. Never drive it hard when cold, change the oil every 3k km, keep coolant levels topped up. Just generally take care of it exceptionally well and it will be perfectly fine. When you go to buy one try to get one from someone who actually knows how to take care of a rotary engine.

The one your looking at sounds fine. 120k km is not much.

And just to let you know, mines for sale right now. Under 10k km on streetported engine, same mileage on the clutch. Has full exhaust, intake, MSD Wires, 17"rims. Its pretty quick. 6k firm. Let me know if interested.

later
-Justin

"Objects in Mirror are Piston Powered."
91TII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:56 AM   #4646

Okay, after getting learned by Mick, I've decided my next mods, and probably my last mods on this car are going to be:

1) Street/Strip Clutch
2) Lightweight Steel Flywheel
3) Racing Beat Header
4) Maybe a Racing Beat Presilencer (Depending on how loud the header makes my car)

After that I'll do some little stuff, like maybe brighter headlights, PIAA 120watt or something, and get my shifter bushings replaced, then I think I'll be done until I need to replace my tires.

Anyone have any decent leads on the clutch/flywheel? I found a flywheel for $468 shipped (canadian) from CPRacing. Any brand I should see if lordco has? Can I get RB stuff from Lordco do you think? What about a clutch? I can get a Mazdatrix Street/Strip clutch disc for $129 USD, plus a throw out bearing for another 35usd or so, so I'm looking at around $300 canadian shipped for that. Any better price ideas?

Quote:
Old 10-05-2003, 02:00 PM   #4647

Doubt you'll get any kind of good deals for the clutch/flywheel combos. I'm still contemplating on what I should do with mine as well. Anyhoo, any you guys experiencing the light throttle BRAAAAPPPPPPPP sound? Just fixed mine, only thing the car knows now is HMMMMMMMMM.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:31 PM   #4648
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hey guys, whats going on in this thread? (pwned)
Ramcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 02:57 PM   #4649
Banned (BBM)

Ok...for compression...theres another 90 na rx7 for sale...with 178***km's..and the kids askin 8g's...does this sound right? SAid compression tested and got 7.8
Any ideasd as to waht this means?
Old 10-05-2003, 02:58 PM   #4650

Quote:
Originally posted by t0mmy
Doubt you'll get any kind of good deals for the clutch/flywheel combos. I'm still contemplating on what I should do with mine as well. Anyhoo, any you guys experiencing the light throttle BRAAAAPPPPPPPP sound? Just fixed mine, only thing the car knows now is HMMMMMMMMM.

Damn Tyler could have used that fix for a long time. Who knows maybe the new setup will need it too. Worst sound in the world. Well not really, but it's defiantely not pleasant.

Ramcon more like Ram Cock, am i rite?