REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Print out sticker Front License plate (https://www.revscene.net/forums/525028-print-out-sticker-front-license-plate.html)

KayC 03-31-2008 04:50 PM

Print out sticker Front License plate

I have seen many cars, such as porsches, audi r8s, ferrari, lambos put what it seems to be a print out sticker substituting the front license plate. Is this legal? and do they get it from icbc or do they just make it themselves. And if they do make it themselves, I'm guessing this is not legal

heres an example of it, hope the person who took this picture don't mind me using it.
* for some reason i can't attach an image in this thread so heres a link to the pic

http://bcmazda3.gumandgut.com/ice/20080330RS78.jpg

jlenko 03-31-2008 05:01 PM

Dang... I've never seen those before :) Pretty mint actually!!

First I've heard of these... I'll assume it's illegal, because it's not an actual metal plate like those that ICBC issues...

Presto 03-31-2008 05:17 PM

That's kinda cool!

skidmark 03-31-2008 06:10 PM

Unfortunately, it's not legal.

yvrnycracer 03-31-2008 07:47 PM

Not legal.... but may look less heaty... I have seen guys who get copies of their plates made and then they stick them on... that one looked like a Photoshop/Illustrator Mockup... The really good ones I have seen you can even see the groove around the edge of the plate! :thumbsup:

I still love the Nevada Plate law that one must only put a front plate on if the car is designed for it... I hate that we are expected to drill holes in the front of our cars... But that is another discussion entirely that has happened too many times!! :thumbsup:

synn12 04-01-2008 06:13 AM

I suppose it's better than running no plate at all, but any cop could give you a ticket because it still isn't a licence plate regardless of how accurate it may be.

"I don't have my drivers licence with me officer, however I did create this photoshop rendition of what my licence looks like. I'd say I did a good job, I even got a few of my little chest hairs in there...See"

1983 Z28 04-01-2008 06:34 AM

Now, my question to the officers here would be whether or not you'd enforce the law here. Assuming the car was being driven respectfully, and the plate on the front matched the one on the back, was clearly visible/legible, etc etc, would you bother pulling the guy over? Seems to be another classic case of spirit of the law vs. letter of the law...

ninjatune 04-01-2008 07:32 AM

I think this would bring more attention to your car since you're making the "plate", they'd want to check if the plate actually matches your car.

Great68 04-01-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 Z28 (Post 5786381)
Assuming the car was being driven respectfully, and the plate on the front matched the one on the back, was clearly visible/legible, etc etc, would you bother pulling the guy over? Seems to be another classic case of spirit of the law vs. letter of the law...

Exactly. The owner is at least TRYING to satisfy the law, without having to drill holes in his car.

Soundy 04-01-2008 08:32 AM

It also has the appearance of the owner trying to pull something questionable (as ninjatune points out).

edit: And actually, it doesn't satisfy the spirit of the law, either. The SPIRIT is not to simply have a front plate, but to have a front plate that can be easily seen at night, and if necessary, photographed. Supplied plates are highly reflective to aid in this. The "sticker" plates are not.

Great68 04-01-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 5786468)
Supplied plates are highly reflective to aid in this. The "sticker" plates are not.

I'm sure you can make "sticker" plates out of reflective material as well.

Soundy 04-01-2008 09:54 AM

And now you're trying to use semantics to "bypass" the spirit of the law.

1983 Z28 04-01-2008 10:19 AM

How so? If I had a something exotic, I'd have a big problem drilling holes in the front. If it came down to something uber rare like an old 250 GTO or something, I'd simply refuse to do it, I won't lie. I'm not taking my Rigid cordless to a hand-rolled aluminum panel that's literally irreplaceable. But I wouldn't have a problem having an exact duplicate of my issued front plate printed out on vinyl, with the proper reflective inks used because as far as anyone needed to know, it IS a front plate. It'd be just as visible as a normal plate, and wouldn't require disfiguring a front end that may cost tens of thousands of dollars... so how is that violating the spirit of the law?

zulutango 04-01-2008 02:55 PM

Number plates
12 (1) Each number plate must bear the licence number of the motor vehicle or trailer for which it is issued, and shall be of a material and design determined by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, and is and remains the property of the corporation.

zulutango 04-01-2008 02:56 PM

Number plates
12 (1) Each number plate must bear the licence number of the motor vehicle or trailer for which it is issued, and shall be of a material and design determined by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, and is and remains the property of the corporation.
Offences

13 (1) A person commits an offence if the person drives, operates, parks or is in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway

(a) without the licence required by this Act for the operation of that motor vehicle or trailer having been first obtained and being then in force,

(b) without displaying on it, in the manner prescribed, the number plates issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer, or

(c) that has displayed on it a number plate other than those issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer.

johny 04-01-2008 03:06 PM

90% of the reason you have a front plate is to reflect radar back to the gun. which this one won't.

skidmark 04-01-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 5786996)
90% of the reason you have a front plate is to reflect radar back to the gun. which this one won't.

:haha: and all the rest of the metal in the vehicle won't??

skidmark 04-01-2008 05:14 PM

Actually, my thought might turn to "where is the other plate?" Maybe on the guy's other vehicle with a Photoshopped validation decal??

jlenko 04-01-2008 06:15 PM

Maybe it's an age thing... I had no problem drilling holes in my aftermarket bumper, just to mount a plate... if I get pulled over less, for doing just that? It's worth it in my opinion. Sure, the bumper opening looks cooler without a plate obstructing it... but it's not worth the hassle. I might move to Alberta for work... so then I'll have a pair of holes to fill ;)

Nevada may have that law... but I don't know any car that comes from the dealer without holes.. or at least some provision for mounting it stock... so you'd never get around it to begin with. However, what I DO like about the Nevada plates... the plates go with a person, not with a car... so you could move your plates between your daily driver and your weekend car... how about that, ICBC? No way...

Raid3n 04-01-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 5787305)
Maybe it's an age thing... I had no problem drilling holes in my aftermarket bumper, just to mount a plate... if I get pulled over less, for doing just that? It's worth it in my opinion. Sure, the bumper opening looks cooler without a plate obstructing it... but it's not worth the hassle. I might move to Alberta for work... so then I'll have a pair of holes to fill ;)

Nevada may have that law... but I don't know any car that comes from the dealer without holes.. or at least some provision for mounting it stock... so you'd never get around it to begin with. However, what I DO like about the Nevada plates... the plates go with a person, not with a car... so you could move your plates between your daily driver and your weekend car... how about that, ICBC? No way...

my car doesn't have holes in the front bumper for a plate, nor does it have any hardware to mount a plate. i had to put screws in my bumper to mount the plate, and i dont know how long they'll stay there.

jlenko 04-01-2008 06:27 PM

Factory bumper? What kind of car.

sho_bc 04-01-2008 07:13 PM

You can order any factory bumper, and tell them not to drill holes in it. And if they're already drilled, they can easily fill them before painting to match the rest of the car.

Soundy 04-01-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 Z28 (Post 5786605)
How so? If I had a something exotic, I'd have a big problem drilling holes in the front. If it came down to something uber rare like an old 250 GTO or something, I'd simply refuse to do it, I won't lie. I'm not taking my Rigid cordless to a hand-rolled aluminum panel that's literally irreplaceable. But I wouldn't have a problem having an exact duplicate of my issued front plate printed out on vinyl, with the proper reflective inks used because as far as anyone needed to know, it IS a front plate. It'd be just as visible as a normal plate, and wouldn't require disfiguring a front end that may cost tens of thousands of dollars...

So instead you'll gum up the paint job with the sticker adhesive? Yeah, okay... :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 5787226)
Actually, my thought might turn to "where is the other plate?" Maybe on the guy's other vehicle with a Photoshopped validation decal??

As I said (and ninjatune as well)... it gives the appearance of something else being suspicious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 5787305)

If someone is that concerned about holes in the front bumper, maybe they need to get a little more imaginative. Construct a bracket for the plate that goes through the grill or under the bumper and attaches to the subframe or something. It's perfectly possible to stay legal without inflicting damage on your car's body... just need to be as creative with your fabricating skills as you are with your excuses :D

Splinter 04-01-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 5787321)
Factory bumper? What kind of car.

my parents 350z doesnt have a spot for a license plate

Eclypz 04-01-2008 10:10 PM

a lotus elise doesn't come with holes for a front plate either.