REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #601
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizo View Post

Sell CBR & upgrade to Ducati 848 Evo or buy S2000 & keep CBR? ...
nice projectors!
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #602
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
nice projectors!
thanks

I really like the aggressive look it gives

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #603
Why'd you do that for?

HEY,

I think I was inquiring about your bike before hand rizo...I had an S2000 back then. I'm not exactly sure though cause your profile says your in Toronto.

Anyways, I honestly wouldn't find it practical of having a bike and an S2000, unless you have another car with 4 seats or more comfort. Not to say its not doable or anything, but when I considered of doing the same, I asked myself "which am i gonna insure in the summer?". Both would be nice, but the insurance on a convertible and a motorcycle is not exactly cheap.

My duc just hit the 10k mark last weekend, previous owner did the 12k maintenance early and it costed around 6-700$, most of it going into labor.

If you are considering the duc, it'd be good to have money saved up incase anything were to happen to it, I can almost guarantee its not gonna be a cheap fix >.<
Old 02-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #604
NLY

Hey I think I sent you a PM a long time ago asking about Ducati ownership, good memory lol

thanks for the heads up. I don't want to turn this thread into a bike vs. s2000 post but I think it's a relevant comparison as a "summer/weekend vehicle." At the moment I have the CBR and an IS350, so I've never had a convertible in my life and just figured it was time. I can see the downside of owning a bike & s2000 because it would definitely be a hard choice on a nice day. I would probably pick the bike and my girlfriend would pick the S2000.

I know ownership of a Ducati doesn't come cheap and if I was to purchase a Duc, it would probably be pre-owned. My brain tells me to keep the CBR but my heart tells me to buy a ducati (don't laugh lol)

and by the way I went to the University of Toronto and I'm always bouncing back & forth from Vancouver & Toronto.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #605
Why'd you do that for?

08+ Ducati isn't that bad dude, there's some guys in the states thats racking up 75,xxx miles+, and that was from last year. The way I see it is that valve adjustments have to be done every season or two, which is gonna run around 600-700, which is not that bad for what your getting yourself into.

My brain told me to get another CBR too, would of been cheaper initially, cheaper gas, cheaper maintenance. Once you test a ducati though, your heart will be set man, guaranteed!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #606
NLY

The Ducati definitely receives more attention as well

That's it, I'm going to import one from the states. I was already planning to import a vehicle anyways so I'll slap them on a trailer together.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #607
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
thanks

I really like the aggressive look it gives
did you do the retrofit yourself?

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #608
Why'd you do that for?

Quote:

That's it, I'm going to import one from the states. I was already planning to import a vehicle anyways so I'll slap them on a trailer together.
haha good stuff!

there won't be a difference though. i did a bit of research, and the time spend importing it, plus taxes, insurance, inspection, keep in mind each one of these takes time, it's just not worth it.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #609
NLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
did you do the retrofit yourself?
No I had a friend do it for me.

If you're interested I could give him a shout

Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #610
NLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post
haha good stuff!

there won't be a difference though. i did a bit of research, and the time spend importing it, plus taxes, insurance, inspection, keep in mind each one of these takes time, it's just not worth it.
Yeah that's true considering the bikes pre-owned are selling for about 12k-15k so the saving aren't justified.

I'm in no rush, I'll ride the CBR till I find a qualified chariot.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #611
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I've imported 5 or 6 bikes/cars from the US and over the years, I've noticed after all the time, effort, money put into importing one, they sometimes aren't all that much worth it. Not unless you find an absolute deal, of course.

When factoring in the manufacturers ransom fees (i.e. BMW is one of them) for a recall letter, and/or any modifications necessary, GST/PST, RIV fees etc. the end result is you saving a mere few hundred dollars (comparing bikes to bikes.) The idea came across my mind to bring over a Monster 696 but after the final dollar value, I said forget it. It's cheaper here.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #612
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
I don't want to turn this thread into a bike vs. s2000 post but I think it's a relevant comparison as a "summer/weekend vehicle." At the moment I have the CBR and an IS350, so I've never had a convertible in my life and just figured it was time. I can see the downside of owning a bike & s2000 because it would definitely be a hard choice on a nice day. I would probably pick the bike and my girlfriend would pick the S2000.

i was in the same boat as you last year when i was thinking of buying an '07 AP2.

end of the day, both of them are RWD, 2 seaters with almost no trunk.

both are 'fun toys' IMO and not really practical so i ended up not buying the S2K as i couldn't justify having them both.

i hardly rode my bike last season though (~1500kms) but i have a feeling i'd regret it if i sold it.

unless i buy a used 1098 that is
Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #613
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashimaro View Post
i hardly rode my bike last season though (~1500kms) but i have a feeling i'd regret it if i sold it.

Ask Brian if he wants to sell you his, so he can buy the 2013 Ducati 1199 when it becomes available.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #614
NLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I've imported 5 or 6 bikes/cars from the US and over the years, I've noticed after all the time, effort, money put into importing one, they sometimes aren't all that much worth it. Not unless you find an absolute deal, of course.

When factoring in the manufacturers ransom fees (i.e. BMW is one of them) for a recall letter, and/or any modifications necessary, GST/PST, RIV fees etc. the end result is you saving a mere few hundred dollars (comparing bikes to bikes.) The idea came across my mind to bring over a Monster 696 but after the final dollar value, I said forget it. It's cheaper here.
I found a 2012 Ducati EVO Dark (Matte Black) for $11,000 with 150 miles. Just waiting for an email reply.

I totally agree with the cost of importing but I haven't seen any EVO Dark Duc's available in BC. If you could swing me some tips on how to import vehicles, that would be greatly appreciate

Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #615
NLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashimaro View Post
i was in the same boat as you last year when i was thinking of buying an '07 AP2.

end of the day, both of them are RWD, 2 seaters with almost no trunk.

both are 'fun toys' IMO and not really practical so i ended up not buying the S2K as i couldn't justify having them both.

So you ended up keeping the bike and not buying the S2000? I'm kind of spoiled because a couple of my friends have S2000 and they let me use them occasionally. It's an awesome feeling when you find some curvy roads and have the top down. (although the same could be said about the motorcycle lol)

I'm leaning more towards the bike partly because of my parking situation. My apartment only allows two vehicles so the Duc + Daily would be a nice pair.

One side I find about riding the bike is the need to carry your helmet and backpack everywhere you go. Not a big deal but just a hassle at times.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #616
Why'd you do that for?

i rather do bike + helmet + backpack AND daily

than

S2000, with 2 seats, less comfort, less cargo space :/

Goodluck with the bike...i know when i did my research on importing cars, there were two sites that helped the most:

Import Car To Canada! » Step-By-Step Guide to Importing a Car into Canada from the U.S.

can only remember one right now
Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #617

ive been always interested in wantin a bike but how much km can a bike put on?

how much km would it be to say if a bike is old?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #618
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

got one myself.

[/QUOTE]

Is this db by any chance?coz i know a guy that has a black/gold 675 as well...
675D current
TL DPcurrent

Last edited by marky_21; 02-18-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #619
Why'd you do that for?

hard to say...im too young in the scene to comment. from what i see though, bikes are capable of higher km than what people perceive them of doing. theyre not the primary commute for our area, making them "high km" if its even low in other countries.

I know personally i wouldn't buy a bike over 10,000-15,000km cause i'd consider them high km compared to other bikes being sold. Doesn't mean that it's high km exactly.

My dad says he rode his for 100xxxkm+ in asia, much more common in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshu604 View Post
ive been always interested in wantin a bike but how much km can a bike put on?

how much km would it be to say if a bike is old?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post
hard to say...im too young in the scene to comment. from what i see though, bikes are capable of higher km than what people perceive them of doing. theyre not the primary commute for our area, making them "high km" if its even low in other countries.

I know personally i wouldn't buy a bike over 10,000-15,000km cause i'd consider them high km compared to other bikes being sold. Doesn't mean that it's high km exactly.

My dad says he rode his for 100xxxkm+ in asia, much more common in that area.
ohh alright, heard its scary as hell to ride a bike too =S

Last edited by Recon604; 02-18-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #621
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
I totally agree with the cost of importing but I haven't seen any EVO Dark Duc's available in BC. If you could swing me some tips on how to import vehicles, that would be greatly appreciate
The only real advantage of importing a bike or car into the country is:

1. You got a smoking deal
2. You want a particular model that is not available in Canada (in your case especially.)

Some things to keep in mind when importing (Coles Notes version)

1. Do your market research (which you've done for the most part) but think about resale as well. Will somebody out there want your bike in the next 2 to 3 years? Will you get as much back even when factoring in depreciation? Maintenance? The list goes on.

2. Find out who you are buying from. If it's private - always check for references. I hate to sound like a creep but you'll have to do some Facebook and Google stalking. If the seller is reputable, go for it. If it's a dealer, check to see how good they are with after-sales support

3. Recall letter - Ducati North America charges a premium for this I believe. Try to arrange for one if you are buying from the dealer. Negotiate it in your sale price out the door. You need the recall letter. Without it, you can't register your bike. No exceptions to the rule.

4. Find a reputable shipper. Are you going to pick up the bike yourself? With a friend? Or have it shipped to the border or broker? I have one I've used several times who does runs up California, Oregon and Washington.

5. Get your paperwork done in advance. You'll need the bill of sale, the ad of the bike of where you got it from and your RIV forms. You can complete the RIV process on their website - Registrar of Imported Vehicles Don't forget to fax or e-mail in the bill of sale, export letter and title to US Customs and Border Patrol at least 72 business hours in advance.

6. Be prepared to pay your taxes and duties at the border. You have to do this on the day it is picked up at the border. You will pay duty and GST. PST will be collected by ICBC when you register your bike.

7. Complete the rest of the RIV process. Wait for your RIV clearance and sticker. Insure your bike and ride away.

Anyway, we're going off topic. Just PM me if you have any specific questions.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #622
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ ur awesome!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #623
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:

lol haha my 848 gets no attention at all. flat black, no logos, not a single ducati decal hahah
Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #624
Why'd you do that for?

^^^
me u n howard MUST do a photoshoot!

red white n black!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #625
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
No I had a friend do it for me.

If you're interested I could give him a shout