REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #3951
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Every resteraunt had a lineup out the door, and even ajisan (shitty fucking ramen) had a lineup out the door. There is a really famous taiwanaese bakery there called something along the lines of 89th street that had a 50 person lineup.
The bakery is called "85c Bakery."

Quote:
Parking was impossible too.
Did you go on a weekend? If so, you never go to Irvine or any Asian mall in the OC.

I'm disappointed you didn't try any Vietnamese restaurants especially since you weren't far from the OC. Tonnes of amazing Vietnamese restaurants in Garden Grove, Westminster and to some extent Santa Ana.

But after all, you are the authority on Vietnamese food.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #3952
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
The bakery is called "85c Bakery."

Did you go on a weekend? If so, you never go to Irvine or any Asian mall in the OC.

I'm disappointed you didn't try any Vietnamese restaurants especially since you weren't far from the OC. Tonnes of amazing Vietnamese restaurants in Garden Grove, Westminster and to some extent Santa Ana.

But after all, you are the authority on Vietnamese food.
My friend who was taking care of me, is vietnamese and westminister,but honestly there is lots of nammer in van, so i didnt really want to try it.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #3953
My homepage has been set to RS

Teppan Kitchen @ Aberdeen food court:

-Small portions (daily special) which was the "AAA" grade beef on rice
-Drink it came with was meh
-miso soup was plain
-price is $8.40 after tax (could find better value elsewhere)

in Conclusion: 6/10
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #3954
Banned (ABWS)

Bitter Tasting Room

Went here for New Years Eve for a quiet get-together with my wife, brother and his fiance

-Interesting concept, main focus on beer, not food
-Tried their beer flights (sampling of 3 different beers), there was an interesting one brewed with heather instead of hops.
-Also had some interesting beer cocktails. I tried the Christmas Cake (was like a dessert, chocolatey and fruity) and the Winter Chill (refreshing).
-Food-wise. I tried all their eggs (deviled, pickled, and scotch). Scotch and pickled egg were very good, deviled egg was nothing special. Also had the pork scratchlings (little too salty), pretzel (average), and brecriner sausage (average). My brother had the chicken and biscuit (he really liked it) and the welsh rarebit (okay).
-Was not busy at all, so service was good.
-Area is "interesting" at night especially on New Years Eve
-Nice place to try out, but probably would not return.

Overall 7/10
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #3955
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Cafe Regalade (for brunch) 8/10
Quiche Lorraine with side salad. Not made to order, but still good. Rich and buttery with a flakey crust. Side salad counter-balances the savouriness. Floor service slides a little at the end. Kitchen speed is slow. Simple brunch and dinner menus with usual bistro choices - worth coming again.

Sushi Nanaimo 7.5/10
Spicy tuna roll, California roll, some specialty roll, bunch of nigiri and a green salad. Nicely prepared, fish seems good enough, nigiri pieces are too large in my opinion - overall typical sushi joint. Servers are friendly, space is clean, prices on par.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker

Last edited by Bonka; 01-04-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #3956
Need to Seek Professional Help

White Spot in Surrey by Guildford mall.

Had the Tandoori Chicken burger with coleslaw and "endless fries". The chicken was good and moist, not too dry.
Waited a little bit longer than expected for the food due to the fact that it wasn't really busy, but it was ok since we had a pitcher of beer to enjoy while waiting.

Overall 8/10.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #3957
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyGreenTea View Post
Had the Tandoori Chicken burger with coleslaw and "endless fries". The chicken was good and moist, not too dry.
I had the same exact experience too at two different locations and yes, it did take a bit longer for it be served. Good thing that it's consistent though.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #3958
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,669 Times in 147 Posts
dunns famous special reuben. Saw a guy posted pics here and decided to go. Had poutine like the dude here and the reuben meat on lean. place was empty around 9pm :/. *note* NEVER EVER get it lean. (get it with some fat) The montreal meat breaks and crumbles like chips hahha i had to learn it the hard way. It was alright but the poutine was a bit too salty for my taste and the tomato mussel for starters was alright.

7/10

edit: man i wish u took pictures of that asian mall D: sounds scary as fuck ROFL
sindragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #3959
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
I had the same exact experience too at two different locations and yes, it did take a bit longer for it be served. Good thing that it's consistent though.
my gf works at white spot but i swear pretty much all other white spots have been really inconsistent for me. every time we go to a different one its really unacceptable service, and not just by her standards.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #3960
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
my gf works at white spot but i swear pretty much all other white spots have been really inconsistent for me. every time we go to a different one its really unacceptable service, and not just by her standards.
Oh, shiet.

I went to the one on West Georgia, just off Denman and the one at Oakridge (but to be fair, we knew one of the servers there.)

Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #3961
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Wings (Granville) - Split 8 lbs of wings between 5 people and none of us were drinking so it was a nice cheap meal. Only complaint is the service. Waitress told us 2 of the desserts take 15 min to prepare but the other just needs to be plated so would be out quickly. It still took 15 minutes to come. And when I was waiting for lady friends to finish in the washroom our host/waitress came up to me and asked me if I had been helped yet

8/10 overall good experience
Posted via RS Mobile
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #3962
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl38 View Post
Wings (Granville) - Split 8 lbs of wings between 5 people and none of us were drinking so it was a nice cheap meal. Only complaint is the service. Waitress told us 2 of the desserts take 15 min to prepare but the other just needs to be plated so would be out quickly. It still took 15 minutes to come. And when I was waiting for lady friends to finish in the washroom our host/waitress came up to me and asked me if I had been helped yet

8/10 overall good experience
Posted via RS Mobile
Maybe cause she was waiting on the other 2 desserts, so she could bring out all 3 of them at once.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #3963
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Maybe cause she was waiting on the other 2 desserts, so she could bring out all 3 of them at once.
Sorry if I didn't get that across correctly. What I meant to say was that she warned us 2 of the desserts on the menu took time to make. Not wanting to wait, my friends chose the 3rd option which she said would be prepared more quickly
Posted via RS Mobile
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #3964
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
What would be the most ideal White Spot to hit?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #3965
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
What would be the most ideal White Spot to hit?
I'm curious too. They say the location at the Burnaby Market Crossing is supposedly one that raises the bar in terms of service and quality of food as it serves as their test kitchen? I heard this from a not-so-reliable source though.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #3966
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious too. They say the location at the Burnaby Market Crossing is supposedly one that raises the bar in terms of service and quality of food as it serves as their test kitchen? I heard this from a not-so-reliable source though.
they aint a test kitchen, they're just the newest one in a lower mainland
whitespot morgan crossing is the newest one

i work at the one on marine and ross, should hit me up sometime

im the kitchen manager there, i try my hardest to keep the quality of food as high as i can =[
Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #3967
RS Veteran

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #3968
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post

im the kitchen manager there, i try my hardest to keep the quality of food as high as i can =[
My takeout order is usually missing something. I believe last time they forgot to pack two soups. Other times it could be something like an order of fries or au jus. I guess I just have to remember to check the bag before I take it next time.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #3969
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Oh man I went there once 2-3 months into their opening. Worst service EVER. Never went back LOL!

Marine and Ross is mighty close. Did they ever renovate that place? Looks so depressing inside haha.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #3970
I subscribe to Revscene

Kingspark Cafe in Richmond
7/10

typical cafe pretty decent
they serve milk tea etc. in stainless steel cup lol
AND
for take out boxes they charge 15 cents..da heck?
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #3971
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Tandoori King
Aloo Gobi delicious
9/10
Posted via RS Mobile
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #3972
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Oh man I went there once 2-3 months into their opening. Worst service EVER. Never went back LOL!

Marine and Ross is mighty close. Did they ever renovate that place? Looks so depressing inside haha.
Marine & Ross is test kitchen+headquarters office. They renovated...old kitchen was so outdated/dirty...I would know, I worked there years ago.

Byrne Road location is okay, just looks fancy & new, that's all..

Cho, how long have you been kitchen manager? I worked when Maureen was there, like 3...shit 4 years ago now. Mary's still head grill? Mark's still there?
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #3973
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:

RS Whitespot meet!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #3974
Better safe than Surrey

Pho Tam

Had the #9. Was missing all the tripe, but came with LOTS of tendon. Maybe they were out...

I swear there was a couple hookers with there surrey jocks at the table across from me. Saw the one with the pink adidas tracksuit doing the crack walk across the street after.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #3975
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
Pho Tam

Had the #9. Was missing all the tripe, but came with LOTS of tendon. Maybe they were out...

I swear there was a couple hookers with there surrey jocks at the table across from me. Saw the one with the pink adidas tracksuit doing the crack walk across the street after.
i'll need pics of the hookers in order to determine if they are hookers or not
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote