REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #4251
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thai House
The Long Island Duck lettuce wrap is pretty darn good.
8/10
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #4252
Director of RS Cares

horizons for their $20 steak and (rock) lobstah!
5/10.

Service was meh, taste was meh. The only good thing was the view since the weather held up yesterday and we were able to catch the sunset. I haven't been here in years (before it burned down) and don't think I'll be going back anytime soon. I will say though that I'm glad I came during their $20 promo cause I wouldn't have paid anything more for it. On the other hand..it could have been an off night but then again...perhaps this was the reason why I never returned back until yesterday.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #4253
I subscribe to Revscene

FYI shoreclub will be closing
The Shore Club’s Vancouver location will close at the end of dinner service on Thursday March 29, 2012.
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #4254
RS controls my life!

Never tried Shore Club any details as to why its closing?

no business?
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #4255
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_2 View Post
Never tried Shore Club any details as to why its closing?

no business?
New Keg. No change in ownership as The Shore Club and Keg are owned by the same guy.

The lunch staff at The Shore Club will be moving over to Gotham’s. Gotham’s Restaurant will be opening for lunch service starting April 2, Monday to Friday from 11:30 to 15:00

http://www.wevancouver.com/lifestyle/141983233.html
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #4256
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
New Keg. No change in ownership as The Shore Club and Keg are owned by the same guy.

The lunch staff at The Shore Club will be moving over to Gotham’s. Gotham’s Restaurant will be opening for lunch service starting April 2, Monday to Friday from 11:30 to 15:00

WE Vancouver - SHOP TALK: Fashion happenings in Vancouver
And ya no business
Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #4257
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post

WE Vancouver - SHOP TALK: Fashion happenings in Vancouver
Safe to say the new Keg at the Shore Club is not franchised?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #4258
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Safe to say the new Keg at the Shore Club is not franchised?
yup
Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #4259
RS controls my life!

i eated too much now i have food baby....

Charcoal in Richmond
-bbq short ribs
-big roller & dragon roll & house roll
-Deep fried oysters
-around $50 incl tips

solid 8/10
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #4260
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmisstrinh View Post
i eated too much now i have food baby....

Charcoal in Richmond
-bbq short ribs
-big roller & dragon roll & house roll
-Deep fried oysters
-around $50 incl tips

solid 8/10
I wish you a smooth painless delivery in the washroom later.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #4261
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Zipang Sushi 4/10

My gf and I was craving sushi but for some reason didn't want to go to our usual joints. So we decided to try Zipang because it was on our way home and we've always heard/read good things about this place.

Not going to comment on the decor and or service because with a 4/10 score on food it really doesn't matter.

Here's what we got

Cali roll (imi crab)
- It was decent but nothing special but I guess it's a cali roll so hwo crazy could it be right?

Paradise Roll (cali with salmon and mango)
- This is a pretty typical roll you can find at a lot of places and this would be average at best. The salmon was pretty thin and the mango was very chinse to the point that it was barely there. The mango didn't even fully cover the top part of the sushi in which it was layed on.

Octopus balls takoyaki
- This was a mess, it was so gross we only managed to partially share 1 and there were 6 total. Due to the fact we were never going to go back and the fact that I'm not one to say anything directly or indirectly I decided to spare their feelings and packed it up instead of leaving basically a full dish there.

Beef sashimi
- Also pretty brutal although I'll give it to them that it was a pretty decent portion. Barely came with any of the sauce and ginger plus the orange stuff they give you. Sure I could have asked for more but the amoutn that it came with barely covered 1/3 of the beef. Even then it was bland as hell and sucked.

Salmon carpaccio
- Pretty decent actually it also came with red snapper sashimi and had a pretty decent lemon/pepperly zing to it

Assorted fries (deep fried prawn tempura, oyster, and a croquette)
- Pretty tastless but it was fried pretty well. Wasn't really oily and it appeared pretty fresh so I'll give them that.

I think that's all we ordered but it was a pretty crappy dinner so maybe I left something out. It was super disappointing because we've long read/heard good things. Now i'm going to make a final comment and you may consider it dumb, or racist, or whatever but it's just my thoughts.

This place (Main and 21st I believe, SoMa a.k.a South Main as they call it) is sort of one of thsoe areas where a lot of white hippidy peep like to hang. The place was full and everyone was white except for us, we're chinese.

What I've noticed and there are of course no real facts around this just opinion. But I always seem to find that when somebody of non asian background eats asian food what they find good is often what asian people would find shitty. Example Hons or another example non related to food is how lots of people think Lucy Liu is hot but if you ask somebody who's chinese they would say are you fucking kidding me.

I think maybe Zipang fell into that category and why i've seen such high reviews. Like I said call me stupid, racist or whatever but simply pointed out something I seem to notice personally.

Will not go back.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #4262
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
^
The 4/10 rating does not surprise me and it is probably deserved. The place has gone significantly downhill over the past year due to the influx in popularity/ratings and the hipster crowd hoarding it like a dive bar with cheap Pabst Blue Ribbon for $3.

It was better (more like a 7/8 out of 10 or maybe 8.5 on a good day.) But that was a while ago.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #4263

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
The 4/10 rating does not surprise me and it is probably deserved. The place has gone significantly downhill over the past year due to the influx in popularity/ratings and the hipster crowd hoarding it like a dive bar with cheap Pabst Blue Ribbon for $3.

It was better (more like a 7/8 out of 10 or maybe 8.5 on a good day.) But that was a while ago.
That's a shame then I would have gladly welcomed another decent sushi joint to my list but oh wells.

I should also make it clear that I'm in no way saying White people don't have taste in anything. Just saying that when they comment on things that are from another ethnic background whether it be food, women, etc that it's typically different from said ethnic backgrounds opinion. Different strokes for different folks but hey there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #4264
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
That's a shame then I would have gladly welcomed another decent sushi joint to my list but oh wells.
You're better off, to be honest. Give Hime Sushi a shot next time. They're located on W. Broadway and Kingsway, beside the Starbucks and across from Kingsgate Mall. They're not bad but not all that amazing neither. If it helps, they do a pretty good job of giving you an idea of what Zipang used to be.

I find that sushi is just sushi is just sushi in Vancouver for the most part. I've always been slightly impartial to Japanese food in general.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #4265

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
You're better off, to be honest. Give Hime Sushi a shot next time. They're located on W. Broadway and Kingsway, beside the Starbucks and across from Kingsgate Mall. They're not bad but not all that amazing neither. If it helps, they do a pretty good job of giving you an idea of what Zipang used to be.

I find that sushi is just sushi is just sushi in Vancouver for the most part. I've always been slightly impartial to Japanese food in general.
I drive by there all the time and is on my to try list actually. To be honest I'm not really that picky with my sushi but I'm often shocked at how so many places can fuck it up so badly. Oh well it doesn't make me sad because luckily Vancouver overall is an awesome place to find good food.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #4266

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Sushiholic 8/10.

Good sushi at this restaurant. The downside to this place is the small size. The restaurant was packed at 6pm last night. -was lucky to get the last two seats at the sushi bar.

Despite the high price of sushi, the restaurant owner seems to be doing pretty well.

Awesome roll and Sockeye salmon roll are awesome!

Menu:

http://sushiholic.ca/wp-content/uplo...Rolls_REV3.pdf

http://sushiholic.ca/wp-content/uplo...u_REV7_pic.pdf
Old 03-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #4267
RS Veteran

^
For some reason, they prioritize their take-out orders first so just a tip if you decide to ever go back there. Otherwise, the wait in their dining room can be a little cumbersome.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #4268
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Suika Snackbar 8.5/10

Went for the $18 Suika-To-Me promo bought from vaneats.ca.

Salmon Carpaccio - Pretty standard; nothing special.
AAA Beef Filet Steak - Cooked medium-rare and topped with soy onion sauce. Not sure if normal but the sauce was cold. The dish also came with potato wedges coated with mild spices.
Tokyo Oxtail Ramen - The ramen was bouncy/al dente (sp?) but the oxtail was a little small.
Pumpkin Creme Brulee - Topped with whipped cream and half a strawberry. Found it kinda bland.

Overall, an enjoyable meal and the promo was a very good deal. I was really impressed with the service and customer relations of the Suika staff. The waitresses were attentive and pleasurable and the greetings by the entire staff when you enter and leave make the restaurant feel like a warm, welcoming place.
Cereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #4269

Dang that's too bad about Zipang
Haven't been there in a year/ year and 1/2
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #4270
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
i go to zipang probably once a week!

imo its always about a 7.5/10, but me and le gf always get the same things =\
Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #4271

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post

Example Hons or another example non related to food is how lots of people think Lucy Liu is hot but if you ask somebody who's chinese they would say are you fucking kidding me.
HEY MAN.

I FUCKING LOVE HONS.

I've never been disappointed when I go but it may be more for nostalgic reasons more than anything else. Decently priced, big portion of food. It isn't gourmet but it ain't bad either.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #4272
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Salt Tasting Room 9/10

Very knowledgeable waiter. Paired up wine and cheese/food for us.
2 wine flights and 3 sides for $45

Boneta (just for drinks) 10/10

MUST try cocktail is the "Green Eyed Devil". Refreshing and a tinge of sourness.

Burgoo 8.5/10

Beef Bourguignon was a little on the plain side, but was still pretty decent
Tomato soup was AWESOME. One of the best i've had
raysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #4273
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Memphis Blues Langley (9/10)

I've been taking 1 course at the Kwantlen campus in Langley and I try to make it out to this place once a week. Probably not a great idea if I want to live past 50 haha. Anyways, the guy who works there (I'm assuming he's the owner) is super cool and they have these amazing specials like this one I had today:
- Smoked Meatloaf Sandwich
- Smoked Meatloaf Poutine

It's huge (I was only able to finish about half), it's super tasty and for all of that plus a pint of beer and it only came out to $16.69!
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #4274

The Reef
Jerk Pork Tenderloin
kinda bland tasting and small portion
6/10
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #4275
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Tung Hing 8/10
Had a house special sub. Great as always.

Tropika 7/10
Had the pork toro appy and some skewers they were pretty good. Had roti as well it was meh. Tried a few noodle dishes they were okay and the special chicken was good.
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote