REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #4551
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Chewies 8/10

Kusshi oysters 8/10
Coconut Japleno mussels 8/10
Advertisement
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #4552

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0n View Post
Any dishes you had that you could recommend.

I went there once 1/2 year back after reading the reviews on Yelp but was disappointed in the place. It could have been that we ordered the wrong thing.
Went to Mi Mexico after seeing this thread. We had some chicken with creamy mushroom sauce, guacamole, and some spring rolls looking dish. Portions are huge but not that tasty. It felt like cheesecake factory minus the wait and decor.

Maybe we ordered the wrong thing...
Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #4553
RS controls my life!

Chewies for brunch

I had the Oyster and Chive Fritata- overdone and dry egg patty, overcooked oysters- it was like chewing on meat gum, bland, under-seasoned, 0/10, totally disappointed.. kinda ruined my day

Boyfriend had the Chicken and Waffles- the chicken was good, juicy, loved the spiced syrup with was served with, waffles were good as well 7/10

Service- the staff seemed very laid back and cool, but i found the service to be on the inattentive side. I had my cup of empty coffee and glass of empty water on the outside of the table and it was never refilled till I asked, the girl looked kind of annoyed =\

overall 5/10, chicken and waffles and ambience of the place were the redeeming factors. I made a bad choice on ordering the fritata, but other things that people were eating looked good so I'd like to go back and order something better next time. Recommendations?
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #4554
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

Aki Sushi (Pender Street) 8/10

Interior decor was very nice, very modern and clean. I've been to the Thurlow location, I don't know if they moved or if this is a second location.
The green tea was excellent. Not watery like most other places, and actually tastes like good green tea. Had a slight sweet and dry aftertaste.

Ordered the..
Prawn tempura (good batter and wasn't fried for too long)
Butter Salmon Teriyaki (soso, was a slight bit salty, but the texture of the salmon was decent)
Assorted Sashimi (very fresh and pretty good portion size)
Chirashi Don (decent portion, variety was good. Sashimi was fresh, and a lot of ikura / salmon roe)

I'd go again if I were in the area. The price vs quality was overall balanced.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #4555
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam_dan View Post
Aki Sushi (Pender Street) 8/10

Interior decor was very nice, very modern and clean. I've been to the Thurlow location, I don't know if they moved or if this is a second location.
The green tea was excellent. Not watery like most other places, and actually tastes like good green tea. Had a slight sweet and dry aftertaste.

Ordered the..
Prawn tempura (good batter and wasn't fried for too long)
Butter Salmon Teriyaki (soso, was a slight bit salty, but the texture of the salmon was decent)
Assorted Sashimi (very fresh and pretty good portion size)
Chirashi Don (decent portion, variety was good. Sashimi was fresh, and a lot of ikura / salmon roe)

I'd go again if I were in the area. The price vs quality was overall balanced.
They moved to this new location as that corner of Alberni/Thurlow is gonna be come Bentall V
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #4556
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The Keg - Park Royal location
6/10

The gf and I both got prime rib, and I asked for a leaner piece and got probably 15% of my piece as unedible large pieces of fat. Both of ours were slightly overcooked too. Twice baked potato and roasted vegetables were good as always, as was the service.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #4557
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Hy's

7/10
Not sure why everybody says you really need to try it.
No, you really don't need to try it.

I'm not disappointed, just nothing about the evening really impressed me.

Their "famous" cheese toast... It's cheesy, it's on toast. Unsure what the big deal is...
Caeser salad made tableside, this was pretty good. Solid, flavorful, but not overpowering. Lettuce crisp and cool. I would gladly eat this every day.
Escargot, solid, but nothing special.

Prime rib, cooked to perfect doneness, pretty tender, not very flavorful edge peices.

Rib steak, chicago rare. Came with no crust and the barest hints of charring on grill lines. Flavor profile ok, perfect spot on doneness, but the lack of caramelizing... I don't know, with equipment like that, how can you find it difficult to properly crust a steak?
Peppercorn sauce. Well done with actual green peppercorns. I'd have a bit more cognac and cream in it, but to each their own, Can't complain about this at all.
Creamed spinach, solid, no complaints.
Stuffed potato, solid, no complaints.

Overall, their ingredients were good.
Meat was very good cuts, they were tender and flavorful.
Nothing was bland or salty.

Overall, as a meal, I wouldn't complain.
But in terms of everything, food, service etc, I'd say ok, but not great.

Players was no good.
Is Gotham's next that I need to try in order to get a decent steak in this city?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #4558
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
japolo sushi and pho

no clue what we were thinking. 0/10

place should be closing down soon with the business they are getting lmao. its so busy that they have time to throw paper airplanes around to entertain their kid....
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #4559
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Apparently they sold this place not long ago so all the chefs from before are gone. They kept the main people out front so people would recognize it's the same but it's not. So I heard...
Nothing's changed inside the restaurant. They really need to revamp the space it's gross. Especially the carpet, it's been there for ages.
tdeweyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #4560
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Lift in coal harbour.
Food 4/10-
ordered my steak rare, got it medium. It was also cut from the sinewy end of the striploin. You don't use the fucking sinewy end for someone who orders it rare. Girlfriends potatoes were raped with truffle oil. My peppercorn sauce was really nice though, and her scallops were cooked very well. For almost 40 bucks a plate it was pretty terrible.
Price 2/10-
little to no value
service 6/10-
Nice waitress, attentive, seemed uncomfortable though.
Company 2/10
Was with my girlfriends parents. Her Mom is such a judgemental head case. Girlfriend brought up quality, but could not save this train wreck.
The view was nice, but other than that this restaurant had nothing really to offer. A bunch of cliche overpriced PNW cuisine that is all over the place.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #4561
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushy View Post
japolo sushi and pho

no clue what we were thinking. 0/10

place should be closing down soon with the business they are getting lmao. its so busy that they have time to throw paper airplanes around to entertain their kid....
true that, went once and never again. place sucks ASS!
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #4562
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Lift in coal harbour.
If it makes you feel any better, their Chinese food (fried rice specifically) is pretty good.

Lift used to be good.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #4563

Not really a restaurant but... Tealips Bubble Tea & Cafe
9/10

Had the order of the
Jasmine Green tea, Matcha Latte Green tea, and Honey Green Milk tea w/Pearls, Lavender Milk.
Liege Mixed Berry waffles.

The green tea they use is the best in quality of any bubble tea joint I've ever had. Matcha Green Tea Latte was done right, with a thick and rich texture. Great body and flavor. Not sweet at all (just the way I like it), but of course they have a amenities corner with syrup to add if it isn't sweet enough.

Jasmine green tea was good. Very aromatic jasmine with green tea. A tad bit too sweet for me. Same with the Honey green milk tea, but of course you can tell them to do less sweet or half sweet etc. The pearls were excellent. Great texture and chewy and a little bit sweetened.

Lavender milk tea was shit though. I was expecting Lavender with green or black tea and milk, but it's actually just dried lavender with steeped milk. There's no 'tea' unless you consider the dried lavender being the tea. All I could taste was the milk..

Liege Mixed berry waffles. Syrup were very sweet..there were maple syrup, chocolate and whipped cream. The waffles were Belgium style. Somewhat chewy, and sweetened. I thought the waffle was good, and the price point was excellent.
$2.95 for a single mixed berry waffle.

Drinks ranged from $3.50-$4.50 each

My friend had a strawberry and...something else protein drink. He said it was really good. I'll take his word for it..lol

Environment was very ... 'trendy' kinda like a Starbucks. They had a shelf with sealed jars of tea leaves. Very fun to smell all the different scents. Unlike Pearl Fever where they have them in teacups with a lid (where all the scents have pretty much dissipated), the sealed jars kept the scents very well.

This'll be my new go-to bubble tea place.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #4564
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

^
you had 4 drinks?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #4565

Try Gotham's Porterhouse and report back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Hy's

7/10
Not sure why everybody says you really need to try it.
No, you really don't need to try it.

I'm not disappointed, just nothing about the evening really impressed me.

Their "famous" cheese toast... It's cheesy, it's on toast. Unsure what the big deal is...
Caeser salad made tableside, this was pretty good. Solid, flavorful, but not overpowering. Lettuce crisp and cool. I would gladly eat this every day.
Escargot, solid, but nothing special.

Prime rib, cooked to perfect doneness, pretty tender, not very flavorful edge peices.

Rib steak, chicago rare. Came with no crust and the barest hints of charring on grill lines. Flavor profile ok, perfect spot on doneness, but the lack of caramelizing... I don't know, with equipment like that, how can you find it difficult to properly crust a steak?
Peppercorn sauce. Well done with actual green peppercorns. I'd have a bit more cognac and cream in it, but to each their own, Can't complain about this at all.
Creamed spinach, solid, no complaints.
Stuffed potato, solid, no complaints.

Overall, their ingredients were good.
Meat was very good cuts, they were tender and flavorful.
Nothing was bland or salty.

Overall, as a meal, I wouldn't complain.
But in terms of everything, food, service etc, I'd say ok, but not great.

Players was no good.
Is Gotham's next that I need to try in order to get a decent steak in this city?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #4566

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
^
you had 4 drinks?
lol i saw that coming
i should've been more clear. i went there twice, both times with my gf, and so we try out each others' drinks.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #4567
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

LA chicken

10/10

hooked up an extra piece
young_howee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #4568
RS controls my life!

Nagoya on 148 & fraser. 7.5/10 per good for hole in the wall... Would give it an 8 if there werent a group of highschool boys actin tough but i guess thats not their fault.

Rs feedback!
NJMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #4569
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
L&G bubble tea. Gotta watermelon bbt, dynamite and California combo and a salmon avocado roll.
Love the place and the owners but dam they take forever to make the sushi
The bubble tea was alright. However if anyone gets the chance, try their milk tea slush. It's ways special price of $3 for a large. Sooo good!

7/10 for slow service
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #4570
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Pho Queen

Always tried and true with my friends. The more we visited the more friendly they were with us, could almost be treated as regulars Pretty inexpensive compared to the surrounding pho joints as well, which was also why we enjoyed going there most of the time ($6.50 for a large noodle soup, $3.50 for this starter sandwich thing)

9/10
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #4571

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post
Pho Queen

Always tried and true with my friends. The more we visited the more friendly they were with us, could almost be treated as regulars Pretty inexpensive compared to the surrounding pho joints as well, which was also why we enjoyed going there most of the time ($6.50 for a large noodle soup, $3.50 for this starter sandwich thing)

9/10
This place is pretty decent for Pho, stay away from their lemon grass chicken on rice, it's fucking gross
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #4572

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Starry Night in Richmond 9/10.
Lobster bisque soup 9/10
Char grilled rib eye steak 9/10
Creme brulee dessert 9/10
service 8/10

This hidden gem of a restaurant is a renovated house behind Costco in Richmond. It looked at first seeing this place on a residential street. After you walk inside, you see a restaurant with a good decor. The star like lighting on the ceiling is pretty neat. The food is top notch.

-recommend the creme brulee desert, and the lobster bisque soup. The four course dinner menu is top notch. A good tender ribeye steak.

As for entertainment, if you want to hear good singing, go to the restaurant on Friday or Saturday nights to hear a singer. She says English, Mandarin, and Spanish songs. -even takes customer requests too.

She sang a request from a customer "It will Rain" by Bruno Mars. Impressive.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #4573
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Starry Night in Richmond 9/10.
Lobster bisque soup 9/10
Char grilled rib eye steak 9/10
Creme brulee dessert 9/10
service 8/10

This hidden gem of a restaurant is a renovated house behind Costco in Richmond. It looked at first seeing this place on a residential street. After you walk inside, you see a restaurant with a good decor. The star like lighting on the ceiling is pretty neat. The food is top notch.

-recommend the creme brulee desert, and the lobster bisque soup. The four course dinner menu is top notch. A good tender ribeye steak.

As for entertainment, if you want to hear good singing, go to the restaurant on Friday or Saturday nights to hear a singer. She says English, Mandarin, and Spanish songs. -even takes customer requests too.

She sang a request from a customer "It will Rain" by Bruno Mars. Impressive.
how is the business there? its hidden location makes me think that its always dead
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #4574
Director of RS Cares

This was written on YELP after I read a review on this new sushi place from another RS member on Sushi Kamizato in Poco. #52

10/10

Authentic Japanese..in POCO!? WHO KNEW!!?!?!!?

I recently read a review online about this new Japanese restaurant that recently opened up in Poco. The chef was a Japanese chef who has worked in various high end Jap restaurants and Zen Sushi in West Van being the last one. Naturally, I felt compelled to take a visit as I am always looking for authentic Japanese restaurants ----not that Sushi Town/Garden or the likes aren't good but they're in different calibres when it comes to taste----and it doesn't hurt that my S/O Michael, lives in Poco.

Located in the heart of downtown Poco and in the busiest complexes; Where the Earls/Old Cdn Tire and Safeway; there it was easy to find. Although the restaurant is a little small;seats about 30 and it's carefully decorated with dark oak flooring and modern finishings. A little sushi bar island that's very reminiscent of Zakkushi--story to come--, leather seats, posh paintings...from Ikea..but that's okay! and soft jazz/70's rock gently playing in the background.

Myself and Michael were greeted with warm smiles and loud greetings from Chef and his cute little wife. It was a Tuesday evening so it was naturally a little bit quiet but there were patrons seated and a few people waiting for take out. They had just opened for a month and there's a current special with 10% takeout. Anyways, we were seated and given our menus. Perhaps they are still in the works of a menu but it was a little plain--which is fine--and in blue/orange folders. However, I'm just a picky person and it's not a big deal. Anyways, we ordered:

-Seafood Motoyaki
-Assorted Sashimi
-Spicy Chopped Scallop Roll
-Yakiudon
-Beef Udon

Seafood was VERY fresh and it didn't taste frozen or old at all for both the motoyaki and sashimi. Our chopped scallop roll was simply delish and it looked super delicate. It looked like the rolls you would get in Japan and the spicy sauce is made from sratch from the Chef on the daily. Both of our udons were very good and cooked to the perfect tenderness. They ran out of the sliced beef for my beef udon so instead opted for a beef steak cooked to a perfect medium rare. Also, might I add that the brother is AMAZING! I'm an udon-junkie and it hit a major home run. MIchael's yakiudon was cooked to perfection. It wasn't overly saucy or overly sweet. Chef and his team have a really good palette in my opinion as everything tasted on point.

Perhaps it's their grand opening special but we were given 4 different tasters to try, compliments from the Chef.

-Bean sprout salad
-Ahi Tuna bites with ponzu sauce
-Mango roll
-Tamago Sashimi for dessert

Not only did he serve these tasters to us but also to the other patrons and even guests that were waiting for their take out! Such a nice gesture and very a smart business move. It shows that Chef is serious in promoting his business as well as taking care of his guests. I can really appreciate that.

I had an amazing time here at Sushi Kamizato and will be returning for sure. Chef made us feel like we were friends and introduced us to his whole team and told us his story on how his business became to be. He really loves what he does and shared his praise to other Sushi chefs in the city. One being the head chef at Zakkushi who helped him with his restaurant and the friends that helped him start this dream of his. I have nothing but good things to say about Sushi K.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #4575
PRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Starry Night in Richmond 9/10
Location 7/10
i always see their "sign" whenever im on oak bridge. Deff didnt expect this place to be a restaurant.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote