REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #5426
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,519
Thanked 16,648 Times in 3,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
Spoiler!
For me, the amount of times you said "but" and the amount a dinner at blue water costs, I cant understand a 9/10 review. Combined with a dessert that was "nothing special"
When you ball hard enough for a dinner there it should blow you away. Every aspect, no buts.
Advertisement
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #5427
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,517
Thanked 6,344 Times in 2,494 Posts
Seems like Marshall Placid only balls hard when he dines out. But...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #5428
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Marshall Placid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,259
Thanked 1,885 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
For me, the amount of times you said "but" and the amount a dinner at blue water costs, I cant understand a 9/10 review. Combined with a dessert that was "nothing special"
When you ball hard enough for a dinner there it should blow you away. Every aspect, no buts.
Overall, it was good.

It was consistent.

The only thing that was not good was the burnt kalamari that was slightly charred and burnt hence the -1.

I knew the warm chocolate cake had no alcohol inside when I ordered it, so no drop in points there.

To compare Blue Water with other similar restaurants, the price is only slightly higher or similar.

For example, the fish mains were about $26 to $35, which is comparable to other restaurants like Hawksworth, Coast, Market, Joe Fortes, etc.

So, relative to similar restaurants, the price was okay.

If I were to eat just fresh/cold seafood with no sauce, Joe Fortes or Coast wins.

With that said, I know you know about a lot of other restaurants that are similar or better than Blue Water.

May I ask which you would recommend?

I always love to try new restaurants, especially when there is good value in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Seems like Marshall Placid only balls hard when he dines out. But...

Haha.

It was a special occasion/event.
Marshall Placid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #5429
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,517
Thanked 6,344 Times in 2,494 Posts
It's almost like you ball hard each and every time to you dine out so it gives us (me anyway) the impression this is all second nature to you. You've become so critical of what you eat and where you dine I can't help but think that you don't enjoy what you eat anymore.

What do you want? Rocks and dirt? I'll charge you $500 per head and you tell me what kind of flavours you can pick out from the soil in my back yard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #5430
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Marshall Placid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,259
Thanked 1,885 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
It's almost like you ball hard each and every time to you dine out so it gives us (me anyway) the impression this is all second nature to you. You've become so critical of what you eat and where you dine I can't help but think that you don't enjoy what you eat anymore.
It's not second nature by any stretch of the imagination.

I seldom go out to higher priced places, mostly for special occasions.

Besides, it was extremely nice my food companions treated me, so that was great of them to do it.

In any case, today I went to Aberdeen's Centre Chef Hung Taiwanese Noodles.

Ordered:
They served delicious noodles, in a VERY spicy broth with "fat beef" (literal translation).

I also ordered the mango milkshake to soothe my taste buds.

All in all, great food.

And, yes, they are always consistent (they are a franchise).

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 07-06-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Marshall Placid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #5431
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,519
Thanked 16,648 Times in 3,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
Overall, it was good.



For example, the fish mains were about $26 to $35, which is comparable to other restaurants like Hawksworth, Coast, Market, Joe Fortes, etc.

So, relative to similar restaurants, the price was okay.

If I were to eat just fresh/cold seafood with no sauce, Joe Fortes or Coast wins.

With that said, I know you know about a lot of other restaurants that are similar or better than Blue Water.

May I ask which you would recommend?

I always love to try new restaurants, especially when there is good value in them.
I wouldn't put those other restaurants in the same category as Hawksworth and Market. The thing about blue water is, it hasn't evolved. My last chef was the former exec chef of Blue water about 8 years ago. Nothing has changed since he left. Its behind its time, and while I don't disagree there is good food there, they are resting on their reputation and have forever. As for restaurants to try, I can't say enough good things about La Quercia. Tableau is a favourite of mine and now being able to work with their chef in the companies new restaurant project has been amazing and I know is going to be the best learning experience of my career. L'abattoir has always been impressive. Espana is the best place in the city for late night quality food. Come to Homer street Cafe and you will see me sweating my fucking ass off in front of our 50k rotisserie. Wait a week or two though, since we are still ironing out the kinks, and we've had some not so perfect services so far. I'm sure I can come up with more restaurants if you are looking for a certain genre.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #5432
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,517
Thanked 6,344 Times in 2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Homer street Cafe
Is this what's replacing Subeez? If so, good riddance.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #5433
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,340
Thanked 1,236 Times in 515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Is this what's replacing Subeez? If so, good riddance.
Across from it
shawnly1000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #5434
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,517
Thanked 6,344 Times in 2,494 Posts
Sigh.

I was hoping Subeez would go away forever.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #5435
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,519
Thanked 16,648 Times in 3,588 Posts
Dont worry, we should contribute to it going out of business.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #5436
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order
 
Culverin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,433
Thanked 13,459 Times in 1,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Come to Homer street Cafe and you will see me sweating my fucking ass off in front of our 50k rotisserie. Wait a week or two though, since we are still ironing out the kinks, and we've had some not so perfect services so far.

I've been waiting for you to say "we're ready".

Oh.
And apparently, I follow the guys on Instagram who made your aprons.
__________________
***Sarlo's Awesome Eatery ***
Facebook // Instagram
Culverin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #5437
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,519
Thanked 16,648 Times in 3,588 Posts
Lol tell them they fucking suck. Stupid stiff leather straps on sweaty necks are among the dumbest things I've come across recently.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #5438
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Marshall Placid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,259
Thanked 1,885 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I wouldn't put those other restaurants in the same category as Hawksworth and Market. The thing about blue water is, it hasn't evolved. My last chef was the former exec chef of Blue water about 8 years ago. Nothing has changed since he left. Its behind its time, and while I don't disagree there is good food there, they are resting on their reputation and have forever. As for restaurants to try, I can't say enough good things about La Quercia. Tableau is a favourite of mine and now being able to work with their chef in the companies new restaurant project has been amazing and I know is going to be the best learning experience of my career. L'abattoir has always been impressive. Espana is the best place in the city for late night quality food. Come to Homer street Cafe and you will see me sweating my fucking ass off in front of our 50k rotisserie. Wait a week or two though, since we are still ironing out the kinks, and we've had some not so perfect services so far. I'm sure I can come up with more restaurants if you are looking for a certain genre.
Thank you.

I'll try your previously mentioned restaurants soon.

I may also come to Homer Street Cafe (I checked out your website and it looks like it just opened but the ambiance is fantastic).
Marshall Placid is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #5439
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,517
Thanked 6,344 Times in 2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Dont worry, we should contribute to it going out of business.
If you ever see a guy who is dining alone, it's probably me.



Will try to come out when you're working!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #5440
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Xu.Vi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 575
Thanked 679 Times in 162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
If you ever see a guy who is dining alone, it's probably me.



Will try to come out when you're working!
will come with you.



- WILL drop by in a week or two though
also probably my first time "meeting" someone from here
Xu.Vi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #5441
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order
 
Culverin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,433
Thanked 13,459 Times in 1,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Lol tell them they fucking suck. Stupid stiff leather straps on sweaty necks are among the dumbest things I've come across recently.
I was wondering about that....



So my suspicions were correct after all. hahaha


What should I get when I come visit?
__________________
***Sarlo's Awesome Eatery ***
Facebook // Instagram
Culverin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #5442
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Porschedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 685
Thanked 121 Times in 60 Posts
Burger Etc 8/10

The meat I had (Ribs and Beef Brisket) were good. Fries were subpar though
Porschedog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #5443
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,519
Thanked 16,648 Times in 3,588 Posts
Pork steak, daily roast special which is always changing, but usually awesome, or 1/2 bird. Say hello if I'm not in the shit guys! (but if I am leave me alone haha)
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #5444
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,517
Thanked 6,344 Times in 2,494 Posts
You don't want me walking into the kitchen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #5445
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,519
Thanked 16,648 Times in 3,588 Posts
Unfortunately for me, heres the view when you walk in the front door.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #5446
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order
 
Culverin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,433
Thanked 13,459 Times in 1,810 Posts
That machine is gorgeous.
__________________
***Sarlo's Awesome Eatery ***
Facebook // Instagram
Culverin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #5447
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 311
Thanked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Suika
9.5/10
Had the ebi mayo, miso sablefish, pork belly bibimbap, negitoro battera and bbq short ribs.
All were awesome, service was great for a busy Monday evening, but lots of yelling japanese women made it a little too loud.
raysquared is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #5448
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,983
Thanked 690 Times in 316 Posts
Green Lemongrass 2/10

House Special Pho & Ribs (tough as nails) & decent item at this place is the dried noodle dishes, but even then, meh.

Over-rated joint.
subordinate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #5449
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: vancouver
Posts: 701
Thanked 178 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Unfortunately for me, heres the view when you walk in the front door.
oh sweet! I live right by there and saw this new place opening up, I noticed it was busy during the weekend! Must come check it out!
xxxrsxxx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #5450
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Verdasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rich City / Van
Posts: 3,456
Thanked 4,829 Times in 915 Posts
cactus club teryaki chicken

such a weird fusion... spicy yogurt inside.. tasted great!

8/10, salmon rice bowl still better for the same price
__________________
Quote:
Hey guys,

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net