REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #5876
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It is dry rubbed curry.. it is about $20/lb.

Not cheap but good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I hear that a lot. I'll likely gather the family to try it out. Is it a wet sauced curry? Or is it one of those dry-ish curry powder jobs?

I had some Portuguese curry crab in Macau, and I ended up getting it on a girl's shirt sitting beside me at another table. Suffice to say she wasn't impressed, and neither was I because she wasn't good looking enough to want to see her sans the shirt
Advertisement

Last edited by godwin; 05-06-2014 at 07:20 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #5877
My homepage has been set to RS

Heirloom

Absolutely horrible service from my waitress. Worst than what you would expect at a Chinese restaurant. Made us wait for everything - menus, refilling water/coffee, 40 min for food, asked twice for the bill. Got the breakfast wrap with salad on the side. Was pretty average. Dressing on salad was great. Food probably would've tasted better had it not been for such shit service.
Quote:
Originally posted by phatboyWhat about the 2nd period?
flawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 AM   #5878

Home Restaurant at Hope

Had the usual mountain of mushroom burger and polished off rhubarb pie with ice cream..

I still think the Hope one is the best among the ones on Highway 5.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #5879
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Hida Takayama Ramen 9/10

hidden gem. in the middle of nowhere, inside robson public market
decent portion, clean-tasting broth
would recommend
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #5880
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
^
I recall a few RS members recommending this place a while back.

What are the prices like and does the shop make their own noodles in house?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #5881
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^

Noodles made in house; small food court unit, think it's a one man operation there; pricewise, IIRC $7.50-$8.50
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #5882
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^

It is very good, you should definitely check it out. Maybe I'll see you around.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #5883
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
MoMa in Richmond.
Pretty decent slightly fancier french food in richmond.
I found everything to be slightly underseasoned.
Small plates are a better deal then the big plates.
Cute server!
Would go again when i don't feel like going to downtown.
7.5/10

Pork Belly

Foie Gras

Beef Short Ribs

Cheesecake

Lava Cake
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #5884
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Summary (from what I remembered) of all the places I went to on my trip out east last week:

WVRST (Toronto) - 8.5/10
Terribly stupid line-up policy set up like a club since it is all communal tables (like a beer festival). When the restaurant is full, there is a bouncer telling people to line up. They wait until about half of the people leave then they let a whole bunch of people in. I was a single and first in line, was quite excruciating seeing through the door a nearly empty restaurant, yet the bouncer would not let just ONE person in. Any how, in the end the food was worth the ~30min wait.

I got the duck wurst (with maple and foie) with duck fat fries with Dieu du Ciel Morality IPA; absolutely delicious.

The Caledonian (Toronto) - 8/10
A Scottish public house/whiskey bar. Not your typical Donnolley "Public House" but a quieter restaurant more authentic type pub style with older clientele. Food was great, I had the roast dinner which was extremely tender and my brother had the haggis which was spot on with flavour and spices. Friendly waitress who I think was the owner.

416 Snack Bar (Toronto) - 7/10
Hip trendy tapas bar with shared tables, food was decent but pricey.

Bahn Mi Boys (Toronto) - 8/10
Momofuku-style pork belly bao's. So tasty, would be awesome late night after a few drinks. Bigger than I expected, tastes similar to a Bahn Mi but with more concentrated flavours and a nice sweetness from the hoisin.

Sneaky Dee's (Toronto) - 6.5/10
Dive rock bar but not sketchy; a wide range of customers. Cheap drinks and tex mex food, great music.

Play (Ottawa) - 7/10
A higher-end modern bistro style tapas place not too common in Ottawa. Food was good but nothing too memorable and neither was the decor or ambience.

Au Pied de Cochon (Montreal) - 9/10
Pretty much a big reason for this trip was a chance to come here. I was dining alone so was only able to get two dishes unfortunately since the portions were so huge, but food lived up to the hype. Started with the duck pie, shredded duck and cheeses baked into pie pastry with a creamy foie/mushroom sauce on top.

Then had the boudin & foie tart; my taste buds were in overdrive after the first dish that the flavour was just too much on the second one (it felt like I burned my tongue on something hot, but I didn't). The carmelized onions and the cured foie was so flavourful, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it was tough to finish everything at the end.

Dieu du Ciel (Montreal) - 9/10
The #1 rated beer-related place in Montreal on Ratebeer.com, a microbrew with a brewpub. Amazing beer with a wide range of styles and selection. Cool ambiance with a nice patio.

La Banquise (Montreal) - 8.5/10
Went for a basic poutine to load up my stomach before the beers. Very tasty; gravy was sweet and flavourful not salty at all, fries were crisp even with the gravy, and with real cheese curds.

Brasserie T! (Montreal) - 9.5/10
Possibly better than my Au Pied de Cochon experience due to the fact I was not struggling by the end of the meal, but the food in and of itself was just as good if not slightly better. Flavours were more refined and less a sledgehammer to the palate and gut that APdC was.

Started with sauteed wild mushrooms drizzled with a nice balsamic; simple, early and elegant. Second was the foie gras terrine, since I only had a few slices of cured foie from APdC I needed my fix. A generous brick of terrine; creamy and rich. Totally hit my foie spot. Ended with beef tartare with a simple green salad. Possibly the best tartare I've had. the perfect balance of tenderness and texture, very nicely spiced and seasoned. Went well with a basic salad of greens, good olive oil and mustard. Would highly recommend.

St. Viateur's Bagels (Montreal) - 2/10
I don't understand the hype but perhaps I ate it wrong. I thought they would have options of serving it with cream cheese or lox but nope, just plain bagels. Bit into them plain, just tastes like any other bagel. Maybe better texture but that's it.

Schwartz's (Montreal) - 8.5/10
Was afraid I would be let down with all the hype, but definitely not. The meat looks like it would be dry, but it was tender and moist (but not overly juicy). Seasoned perfectly not too salty, great bread and a bit of mustard. Definitely great.

Tavern Square Dominion (Montreal) - 8/10
Super cool but old school supper-club style restaurant with old school menu; fish and chips, braised beef shortrib, etc. I had the 'ploughman's lunch' which is a cold meat platter with pork terrine, duck prosciutto, salami, some fruit and veg. Solid food.

3 Brasseurs (Montreal) - 7/10
Just a big brew pub similar to Craft Beer Market or Yaletown Brewing Co. but with their own beers. Neither ambiance nor the beers were anything memorable.

Reuben's (Montreal) - 7.5/10
Old school chain diner. Just got a burger and poutine. Cool ambience, super old school service and food.

St. Hubert's (Montreal) - 6.5/10
Quebec version of Swiss Chalet basically. Nothing great, nothing terrible, chicken was moist and gravy was tasty.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #5885

Beefy beef on Main.. quite a large menu.. a diverse crowd, but I find the broth is a bit weak.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #5886
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Catch 122 - 8/10
Black and blue 7/10
labattoir 8/10
Old 05-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #5887
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Summary (from what I remembered) of all the places I went to on my trip...

St. Viateur's Bagels (Montreal) - 2/10
I don't understand the hype but perhaps I ate it wrong. I thought they would have options of serving it with cream cheese or lox but nope, just plain bagels. Bit into them plain, just tastes like any other bagel. Maybe better texture but that's it.
Felt the same way, it was such a pain to get there by transit and was hoping it would make it worth it. The novelty of having a fresh warm bagel was cool that was about it.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #5888
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Trattoria Italian Kitchen, Park Royal.

On Saturday, went to the restaurant for its first day opening to customers (after the press/reporter Grand Opening on Friday).

Appetizer - spicy calamari = VERY GOOD and big fat juicy squid (deep fried with great texture and spices)

Mains - Crab, lobster, and shrimp cannelloni which was very good with the right amount of meat and starch and the starch was a little crisp which is the way I like it.

Dessert - dessert platter consisting of Italian donuts, sorbet, lemon tarts, etc. - the right amount of sweetness and sour all mixed into one order/dish.

Service - the server was very attentive... being the first day, the food was slow to come out, but it is as expected (due to the first day opening "ramping" up time).

I had to wait about 1 hour and 15 minutes for a table, but they let you leave your phone number down at the restaurant and they will text you when the table is ready.

No reservations.

Ambiance - great vibe and it is LOUD... there is a second storey roof top outdoor dining area as well and some outside first floor perimeter tables.

Price: the food quality is "fine dining" quality but priced at a lower price point.

In fact, the restaurant COULD charge more for the food.

Here is a pic of the restaurant:

I highly recommend the restaurant, but be prepared to wait a LONG time for a table (leave your phone number and walk around for 30 to 45 minutes).

9/10
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #5889
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
Motomatchi
They currently have spicy tsukemen.
so good
9/10

IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #5890
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Sandbar / Hoshi Sushi 8/10

Service is far better than Tojo's imo which is where I would normally go but I was curious on trying Hoshis after that documentary that aired over the weekend
Tojos has the better menu though otherwise Hoshi could be my new fav

side note for you guys should be in the entertainment thread but its probably more relevant in here
new foodie movie directed by jon favreau its already out in many countries (us too) but it'll be released in Canada next month

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #5891
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Via tevere.
9/10
Food was great, atmosphere was great but service was just good. Waitress seemed to be trying to hard to be edgy and funny but kinda came off a little smug. Will go back probably bi weekly based on my love of pizza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Summary (from what I remembered) of all the places I went to on my trip out east last week:
Shit wish I could have suggested that you try edulis in toronto. My former chef and her husband own it and they were two of the most awesome people I have had the pleasure of working under. I'd say they had the biggest influence on the style of food I love and my cooking out of anyone other than my grandmother. It also won best new restaurant in Canada in 2013 by enroute magazine.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #5892
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
It is dry rubbed curry.. it is about $20/lb.

Not cheap but good.
Well, considering that dungeness crab cost $18/lb at most Chinese restaurants these days. $20/lb at James seems very reasonable as they make it very well.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #5893
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Via tevere.
9/10
Food was great, atmosphere was great but service was just good. Waitress seemed to be trying to hard to be edgy and funny but kinda came off a little smug. Will go back probably bi weekly based on my love of pizza.

Shit wish I could have suggested that you try edulis in toronto. My former chef and her husband own it and they were two of the most awesome people I have had the pleasure of working under. I'd say they had the biggest influence on the style of food I love and my cooking out of anyone other than my grandmother. It also won best new restaurant in Canada in 2013 by enroute magazine.
Been wanting to try this pizzeria for awhile now. There's long lineups every night though.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #5894
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
I think going early is the only hope. Had dinner @530 which is pretty ridiculously early, and it was 80% full by then.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 AM   #5895
#deephouse

Fish counter 7/10
Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #5896
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
Fish counter 7/10
Been wanting to try this place, what did you get? And what warranted the 7/10?
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #5897
#deephouse

2 piece halibut with frites
Wild Harvested“Salmonitos”

The halibut was really good , maybe the best ive had 9/10 on that

but the Wild harvest salmoitos wasnt to my liking...

If i only had the halibut , i would give that place like 8.5-9/10.

I did love that everything was super doper fresh, next time ill try the Oyster Po’boy and dairy less clam chowder.

On another note, looks like oysters raw bar is closed for renovations..
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #5898
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Edulis is also on my radar as well. Saw a video where they do the old school french duck press haha so awesome. I only had time to hit up Momofuku noodle bar and Black Hoof on my recent trip.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #5899
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

another +1 for Via Tevere, gone through a lot of pies in Vancouver and this place edges Barbarella just a bit

9.5/10 the atmosphere, food was quick, service was great. had my usual order of 2 meatballs (must try if you haven't tried them yet), and the vesuvio pizza. one of the guys who make the pizza recognized me, came over, chatted and had some good laughs.

I've been here 5 weeks straight religiously on cheat days lol
Old 05-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #5900
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
+1 on Via Tevere edging Barbarella.

I went to both back to back (not on the same day!) and Via Tevere comes out top. I'll make sure to try the meatballs next time.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote