REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #6651
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
- Fois gras, where have you been all my life?!!! First time I have ever had fois gras, and IMO, it's the best thing I've ever had. Wife was complaining I was making too many "foodgasm" faces when eating this. For me, this was the highlight of my year, let alone meal LOL
- Escargots, it was the lowlight of the meal, very average. Escargot with a baked crunchy shell, with basil and butter
- Scallop and truffle with fetuchini. Good, but needed some salt.
- Main course for me was Tenderloin with mushrooms and chilean sea bass with saffron sauce. Both were good, tenderloin was very good. Not the best I've ever had, but still very good
- Braised rabbit legs with double smoked bacon + shallots was very good. I enjoyed it a lot, was not gamey. Sauce was not overpowering
- Grand Mariner souffle was very good, felt like eating an orange flavored cloud
- Passion fruit creme brule... was the best dessert I've ever had in my life. Perfect blend of sweet, sour, tart, and creme brule. Was not overtly heavy tasting
I only ever had Foie Gras once about 6 years ago and it was amazing but so expensive here. I had a chance to go Montreal 2 years ago and ate so much foie gras I almost wanted to puke lol. $18 will get you 8 fat slabs of it. It's way too rich I can only eat 2 before it starts to feel like my arteries are clogging.
This year Ebisu started stocking foie gras, making sushi with it, sort of like the Spam Musubi famous in Hawaii!

Thanks to your review next time I know what else to get at Le Croc, the rabbit is on my short list.
I wanted to get the escargot but I remembered your review and picked something else hehe.
Advertisement
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #6652
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
^Obsideon did you decided on a price for the foie gras sushi yet? Coming by tomorrow for some tantan ramen and foie gras. Not sure if its the angle but it looks pretty small. I wouldn't mind paying more for a bigger piece.

Ehhh...the rabbit leg at le crocodile wasn't that special. I guess I went in with too much expectation
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #6653
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Spoiler!

I also went to Le Crocodile for the first time, except I went yesterday so right after the V-Day rush. They said were not offering the regular menu on Sunday anyway.

10/10. I would rarely give a perfect 10 anywhere but they deserve it. IMO probably best restaurant in Vancouver. However it would not be fair to compare to Chef Eric Ripert's Le Bernardin in NYC as that was my truly mind blowing experience.
Spoiler!

Dinner began with these little complimentary quiche tarts which Endless already mentioned was a great starter, light and fluffy.
Appetizers:
Lobster Tempura and Grilled Scallops - Juicy and delicious with a hint of refreshing lemon zing.
Seared Foie Gras - Pleasant surprise to find a big diver scallop on top, bonus haha. Soft, fragrant and yummy.
Bone Marrow - Creamy almost like butter, place on slice of toast, a dallop of the sweet tomato paste to balance the flavour, heaven!
Entrees:
Caribou Tenderloin - Light gaminess which I enjoyed, the greens underneath were seasoned perfectly and complimented the meat perfectly
Angus Steak - The way the server described it made my mouth water already lol, they cook a fatty hunk of foie gras on top of the steak so the oils, juices and fat just flow into the meat. Orgasmic!
Dessert:
Lemon Tart with Passion Fruit Sorbet - I'm not much of a dessert person and this was probably my fault, but it was way too sour for me. (duh genius, lemon tart?)
Apple Pie - Warm, great crust and perfect sweetness paired with vanilla ice cream, nice and simple.

Service was impeccable but I expected nothing less from this top rated restaurant. The server was super friendly and was not perturbed at all when I requested to repeat all 6 specials of the day again because his French accent was a little thick and by the time he got to the 5th special I was still mentally digesting the 3rd one lol. They brought out little "in-between" bites, the potato sticks reminded me of the bags of Hickory sticks I used to eat back in the day.

I will definitely be coming back again - for the next special occasion. Once my wallet recovers haha. Expensive but worth it.
I have been to Le Bernardin and can't say I was impressed with the service...none of the servers are smiling. They just place the plates down described it and left. Don't know maybe it just wasn't my kind of place to be but I expected friendlier service.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #6654

Mama Lee - 8.5/10
It was my first time ever at Mama Lee's. I was actually on the look out for some good roti canai - the last place I had really good roti canai was at Bo Laksa King about 3 years ago but I heard Laksa King changed hands a few times so I haven't gone back since.
Mama Lee's roti canai was impressive. It's been too long since I had good roti canai - this might be my new go-to place for it.
Also tried their Hainanese Chicken + rice. It was pretty good, but I wasn't super impressed by it. I'm aware that the chicken should be served cold but it was a bit too cold compared to what i'm used to. The hainanese rice was good too but it wasn't as hot enough. Lol. I do appreciate that their rice was not oily though - as I spooned mouthfuls away from the plate, the plate under the rice was oily.
I tried a drink as well - Iced Bubur Chacha. It's like a taro tapioca drink with small pieces of carrot. I couldn't taste the carrot but the taro tapioca drink was delicious. I would probably come back again - and order JUST their drink to go.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #6655
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
had ebisu aburi last time around fall (robson location)

love their drizzled sauce on top.... what was it?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #6656
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
I have been to Le Bernardin and can't say I was impressed with the service...none of the servers are smiling. They just place the plates down described it and left. Don't know maybe it just wasn't my kind of place to be but I expected friendlier service.
Not sure if my experience was a little different because I was celebrating anniversary there, but they were really friendly and knowledgeable, even brought out extra custom desserts to surprise us. But then again for me the service was pretty much on par with Le Crocodile - I personally don't think it can be any better without them literally spoon feeding me lol.
Well except when I dined in a high-end seafood restaurant in China, where it was literally 5 servers PER table, at least 2 of them constantly just stood beside like soldiers at attention which was beyond overkill and not "good" service in my opinion, actually quite overbearing. Take 1 sip of beer and it's filled back up to the brim; take a cigarette out of your pocket and the dude is hovering over you ready to light it.

Anyways, what did you think of the food though? The Chef tasting menu I had was probably the best meal of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxcrusader View Post
Mama Lee - 8.5/10
It was my first time ever at Mama Lee's. I was actually on the look out for some good roti canai - the last place I had really good roti canai was at Bo Laksa King about 3 years ago but I heard Laksa King changed hands a few times so I haven't gone back since.
Mama Lee's roti canai was impressive. It's been too long since I had good roti canai - this might be my new go-to place for it.
Also tried their Hainanese Chicken + rice. It was pretty good, but I wasn't super impressed by it. I'm aware that the chicken should be served cold but it was a bit too cold compared to what i'm used to. The hainanese rice was good too but it wasn't as hot enough. Lol. I do appreciate that their rice was not oily though - as I spooned mouthfuls away from the plate, the plate under the rice was oily.
I tried a drink as well - Iced Bubur Chacha. It's like a taro tapioca drink with small pieces of carrot. I couldn't taste the carrot but the taro tapioca drink was delicious. I would probably come back again - and order JUST their drink to go.
The food is pretty tasty but I find it overpriced for just chicken. Their "Half Chicken" order barely looks like it was shredded off 1 thigh and it's $16! I can't remember the name of it, but the spicy dry noodle with the egg is really good too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
had ebisu aburi last time around fall (robson location)
love their drizzled sauce on top.... what was it?
Secret Sauce Haha yeah but the chefs make all the sauces from scratch with many flavours.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #6657
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
^Obsideon did you decided on a price for the foie gras sushi yet? Coming by tomorrow for some tantan ramen and foie gras. Not sure if its the angle but it looks pretty small. I wouldn't mind paying more for a bigger piece.

Ehhh...the rabbit leg at le crocodile wasn't that special. I guess I went in with too much expectation
The stock we have for the next little while will be sold for $4.50 each!
IMHO the pieces we cut now is just about the right size. We tried many sizes but when you pop a bigger piece in your mouth it's a bit overwhelming because it's so rich and fatty. However if you really prefer it bigger it shouldn't be a problem just let us know!

What was your fave entree at Le Croc instead of the rabbit?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #6658

The only other one I tried was the prawn and scallop angel hair and it was way better than the rabbit
Old 02-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #6659
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
The stock we have for the next little while will be sold for $4.50 each!
IMHO the pieces we cut now is just about the right size. We tried many sizes but when you pop a bigger piece in your mouth it's a bit overwhelming because it's so rich and fatty. However if you really prefer it bigger it shouldn't be a problem just let us know!

What was your fave entree at Le Croc instead of the rabbit?
Offered only on Robson or also Broadway? I tend to go Broadway more because of location.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #6660
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Sanpoutei Ramen in Richmond

9/10

Line up out the door.
Thick noodle ramen with heavy flavoring. Taste like actual ramen I've had in Japan.
Good portions. Guy in the table next to me couldn't finish his Tsukemen.

I had their Maze soba, which is essentially a Abura soba, but the chilli oil is already put in for you. Also had their mochi ice cream, $2.50 for 1 strawberry and 1 green tea. Nice light dessert after a bowl of noodles.

Only con, price.
turbos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #6661

Foie gras nigiri at Ebisu did not disappoint. Very fair price. The first round it was really good but the second time around it didn't really 'melt in your mouth'. Maybe sear it a bit longer or defrost longer?

Taste+price point 10/10 would indulge in again. Next time I should just order 10 pcs and you can just put in a rice bowl for me lol, foie gras on rice
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #6662
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageguy View Post
Offered only on Robson or also Broadway? I tend to go Broadway more because of location.
Sorry bud the Foie Gras special is currently only available at the Robson location.

Appreciate you dropping by Galactic Phantom!
Thanks for the input, will let the chef know!
lol your wish is my command, although I might have to stretcher you out after a meal like that haha
Old 02-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #6663
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post

Whenever I go to a new restaurant, I always try to order something "that I can't normally get anywhere else". That's why I went with the escargots and also the rabbit legs.

It's the first time I've ever had rabbit, so I didn't have crazy expectations, but I thought it was a good solid dish. The sauce IMO was very good, and it wasn't overpowering the meat. The meat was tender/fall off the bone and the texture reminded me of chicken/braised pork. The bacon and shallots were good too, and again I appreciate them not overpowering the sauce or the meat. I would have preferred if they fried the shallots, but all good. Portions IMO were very good and very fair considering the upscale nature of the restaurant and price
If I had to give a grade to the dish itself, I'd rate it 8.5 or 9/10
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #6664

Fois Gras Don... i'd be in for that!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #6665
My homepage has been set to RS

Shishinori

Spicy Tuna Poke Bowl. Love that they provide a wide array of ingredients along with the tuna and rice including avocado, greens, alfalfa, radish, grapes, pickled ginger, etc.

8.5/10
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:10 PM   #6666

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
Whenever I go to a new restaurant, I always try to order something "that I can't normally get anywhere else". That's why I went with the escargots and also the rabbit legs.

It's the first time I've ever had rabbit, so I didn't have crazy expectations, but I thought it was a good solid dish. The sauce IMO was very good, and it wasn't overpowering the meat. The meat was tender/fall off the bone and the texture reminded me of chicken/braised pork. The bacon and shallots were good too, and again I appreciate them not overpowering the sauce or the meat. I would have preferred if they fried the shallots, but all good. Portions IMO were very good and very fair considering the upscale nature of the restaurant and price
If I had to give a grade to the dish itself, I'd rate it 8.5 or 9/10
I totally agree with you. That's why I ordered it. I actually ordered the escargot too. The texture reminded you of chicken, that's actually why I didn't like it all that much haha. The dish was underwhelming to me but it wasn't bad. Just not, great.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #6667
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
u guys are risky to order something you never tried (you might not even like!)

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #6668

^what's the worst that could happen lol

+shishinori. wish there was a little bit more meat though
Old 02-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #6669
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
You still on breast milk?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #6670
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
My typical rule when I eat at restaurants is to order something I don't normally make at home...

Now to stay on topic, last place I ate was Big Ridge for lunch today. Wok fried squid was delicious as usual and the chicken chow mein is always good. Best part is that the portion is big enough to bring leftovers home with plenty enough to feed the kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #6671

Bubble Waffle Cafe at Crystal's food court's cheesecake bubble waffle 10/10

Felt like the shit since friday and didn't have any appetite. Had a bite of that shit and BOOM! I love food again
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #6672
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
Im pretty adventurous so Im down to try anything at least once. (nothing gay)

never know if you like it or not until you try!

butter chicken with garlic/paneer naan from dhaliwal sweets on Fraser 10/10 dam one of the best butter chickens I ever had from a takeout place
Vansterdam is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #6673
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
Im pretty adventurous so Im down to try anything at least once. (nothing gay)
this sort of falls into adventurous yet gay.

Milt. Cod milt. Looks like brains, but it's fish sperm. shirako, kiku, or tachi

it's actually in season. give it a try.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #6674

You can get milt at Sushi Maumi! The brain looking sushi on the bottom
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #6675

I had to google what milt was...
Quote:
Milt
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Milt is the seminal fluid of fish, mollusks, and certain other water-dwelling animals who reproduce by spraying this fluid which contains the sperm, onto roe (fish eggs).