REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 07-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #7101
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
On the topic of service...

Last Friday, I went out for lunch with a few colleagues at a popular pub near the office. We got there at around 11:35am and there were maybe other groups.

We placed our orders at 11:40am. People then started to show up. We didn't get our food until 12:55pm. Everyone else got theirs. Our food was cold and there was absolutely no apology or explanation.

So service can directly impact ones dining experience.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #7102
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Had dinner with wife last night at Fable kitchen. Very solid.

Service is great while food is superb. The corn bread with honey butter was so good that we ordered one to go.

If there's anything to pick, it's the portion. I mean, it's the right amount, but it just leave you that tiny wish for more of it for the price.

And the thick bacon chunks in the pasta are to die for!!

9/10
Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #7103
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
i dunt get how some ppl care about service all that much for their dining experience

even if a place's service was bad, the only thing i'll really rmb is the taste / price.

i dont really give 2 shits about service as long as i get my food
you willl LOVEEE hongkong then, rude and unfriendly in some places

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #7104
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
replying to Drow's comment on service is not an issue..

for those old timers, you would remember "康樂園", they had such SHITTY service, you would feel OK to give them 2 cent as a tip.

it used to be right here. Wow, brings back so much memories (same location but diff name now). it was one of the other 24 hr restaurant back then.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #7105
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
replying to Drow's comment on service is not an issue..

for those old timers, you would remember "康樂園", they had such SHITTY service, you would feel OK to give them 2 cent as a tip.

it used to be right here. Wow, brings back so much memories (same location but diff name now). it was one of the other 24 hr restaurant back then.
I fucking HATE this place. Parking is garbage there. Service is shit. Dim sum is shit. Shit place is shit. Shit shit shit. Shit shit shit and shit. Fuck this place. -10/0 infinite bad to infinity and beyond. This place has so many owner ship changes it rivals Taylor Swift's relationship changes.

Last edited by ZN6; 07-18-2016 at 09:02 AM.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #7106
RS Veteran

Oh man, yes. That place is and was shit.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #7107
ZN6

This was amazing though. Had it after a nice bike ride. Red Truck Brewery. One of the better poutines I've had. Cracked white pepper gave it a nice kick.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #7108
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
looks really plain but maybe it tastes better than it looks?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #7109
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Went on a big hike around the city and ended up near Cali Burger, the in-n-out knock off on thurlow.

The reviews online are all pretty terrible, from bad food to taking 25-40minites to get their food etc. didn't read too much into it and tried it out

Got as close to an in-n-out order as I could, double double "Cali style" with Cali style fries

Burger was tasty, it definitely wasn't as good as innout but still very fresh, all ingredients and the bun were fresh and tasty

The Cali/animal style fries were salty as fuck and that's kinda saying somthing as opposed to innouts animal style, but either the cheese or the sauce was far saltier than the animal style. Fries deinately weren't as good and they were more like the fries at five guys than innout

Overall I enjoyed it, a little expensive ($16.50 for what I got there) might go again if I was in the area and wasn't going to go to a restaurant but other than that, probably more of a one time thing for me

6.75/10
Old 07-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #7110
God of Unce

$16 for that?...
Old 07-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #7111
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
Usually in hk its eat and GTFO......don't need to worry about tip.

Unlike western society, food is shit, service is shit, expects tip. WTF!!!
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #7112
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
You obviously don't know where to eat if you are getting shit food and shit service everywhere. It's not "western societies" fault.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #7113
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Went on a big hike around the city and ended up near Cali Burger, the in-n-out knock off on thurlow.

The reviews online are all pretty terrible, from bad food to taking 25-40minites to get their food etc. didn't read too much into it and tried it out

Got as close to an in-n-out order as I could, double double "Cali style" with Cali style fries

Burger was tasty, it definitely wasn't as good as innout but still very fresh, all ingredients and the bun were fresh and tasty

The Cali/animal style fries were salty as fuck and that's kinda saying somthing as opposed to innouts animal style, but either the cheese or the sauce was far saltier than the animal style. Fries deinately weren't as good and they were more like the fries at five guys than innout

Overall I enjoyed it, a little expensive ($16.50 for what I got there) might go again if I was in the area and wasn't going to go to a restaurant but other than that, probably more of a one time thing for me

6.75/10

Dude, what the fuck? go here: https://www.zomato.com/vancouver/wak...town-vancouver

Would not pay 16.50 for fast food combo.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #7114
ZN6

Quote:
looks really plain but maybe it tastes better than it looks?
White gravy looks plain, but it's good. Another cyclist had the same thing and can vouch.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #7115

The draw is obviously that it's an in-n-out knock off. Otherwise I would have probably just grabbed some sushi lol
Old 07-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #7116
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
Buy frozen/fresh foie gras at butcher/specialty meat shop, make sushi rice with japanese rice with sushi vinegar, (or just use regular rice if you're not nitpicky), cover the foie gras with some rice flour and sear by torch/pan fried, make foie gras rice bowl for a quick simple meal. Depending on how fast your rice cooker is this could be done within 20 mins. The actual preparing/cooking part is like, 10 mins LOL.

Just had it for lunch and could feel my arteries clogging
You can't really compare home cooking with restaurant though. Ours is prepared with our house blend sweet sauce and wasabi diced chives wrapped with nori - ready to pop in you mouth.

I don't think I can eat an entire meal only based on liver and rice. It's more of a side snack while eating other food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
sooo, lets say i order it, and the server doesn't know, can i say 'but obsideon said to get it...'
If the server doesn't know about it, then you ask her to call over the ultra-hot-sexy-boss-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
I fucking HATE this place. Parking is garbage there. Service is shit. Dim sum is shit. Shit place is shit. Shit shit shit. Shit shit shit and shit. Fuck this place. -10/0 infinite bad to infinity and beyond. This place has so many owner ship changes it rivals Taylor Swift's relationship changes.
omg I remember Hon Lok Yuen very clearly right down to the TVB rental shop by the front washrooms lol ... shows my age
You are all correct the service was beyond bad, but I was a young teenager so I would spend quite some late night hours there drinking unlimited refills of HK milk tea while watching Young & Dangerous re-runs on TV and smoking inside until 5am
I have only been back to that building once for dim sum and did not like it, don't remember which incarnation since as ZN6 mentioned the place has changed over a dozen times since.

Quote:

6.75/10
I worked in LA for almost a year and had In'n Out a plenty. Cali Burger is nowhere near the freshness or quality. It basically is a China version knockoff of the real deal except you are paying even more than for the original.
Lined up 25min, ordered the same as Hondaracer, my combo took another 45min.
By the time I dug into it, nothing was hot. My burger was lukewarm. My fries were a soggy mess and below room temperature.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #7117

yea, it was pretty dead and i was the only one lined up when i walked in so didnt have to wait too long, that seemed to be the main complaint with it though.

And yea, i've had 3 different in-n-out in 3 different states, all were awesome and consistent
Old 07-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #7118
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Okay? So that's basically everywhere then? There's rude and unfriendly services in some places everywhere.
Quote:
$16.5 for that and it takes 25 minutes for that? Christ, it seems like Splitz is the only place in town I could trust for burgers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
You can't really compare home cooking with restaurant though. Ours is prepared with our house blend sweet sauce and wasabi diced chives wrapped with nori - ready to pop in you mouth.
Not trying to drive business away from you, I order foie gras sushi when I go out too, but I just wanted to share that option with 6793021 if he is really inclined to try it lol. It's stupid easy to make, but you're right, not that many people are irresponsible with their health like me to eat a full heavy meal with just foie gras and rice .
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #7119
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
i dunt get how some ppl care about service all that much for their dining experience

even if a place's service was bad, the only thing i'll really rmb is the taste / price.

i dont really give 2 shits about service as long as i get my food
there's a difference between bad service and basic service.
basic service i'm totally fine with, bad service more than once and i probably won't come back for a few years.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #7120
Ebisu Boss

No worries galactic I wasn't thinking that. Just comparing the 2 options
Oh I'm definitely irresponsible with my health as well haha

Service is PART of ones' dining experience. I don't need the waiter to be at my every beck and call but when dining out, you essentially pay for the full package of interacting with them, getting the food and walking away without having to clean up after yourself.
You can't tell me if a server is chewing gum and impatiently tapping her feet while taking your order, then slams your plate of food on the table so hard it looks like leftover dog food and walks away rolling their eyes with a grunt like you falcon punched their mom and still be "happy" to eat there?
Old 07-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #7121
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
day trip to seattle

First stop, Paseo and got their roast pork sandwich. Fantastic sandwich loved the garlic mayo and jalapeno. However would not wait in line for more then 15 mins the next time i go. The rice dishes were just meh. 8/10

Serious Pie in Seattle. Fantastic, i don't think anything in vancouver compares. Got the Seasonal Mushroom and Morel. 10/10

IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #7122
Ebisu Boss

Everytime I go Seattle I always hit up Serious Pie. Delish!
Old 07-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #7123
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Anh and Chi..thanks to the gf..

4/10

Hmm what's the nicest thing I can say about this place..

This pretentious place serves ok food.

Last edited by k3mps; 07-21-2016 at 08:49 PM.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #7124
RS Veteran

RIP Pho Hoang

Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #7125
ZN6

El Camino. Food was very good. just very expensive for quantity. Quality trumps all though.

On the order:

To share with a few friends:

Wings - mildly spicy and sweet, these wings are very lightly fried and plump. These things are drenched in sauce that is absolutely delicious.

Papas Choriadas- Amazing. It's like a poutine and the paprika sauce was so good. The feta gave it a nice aged flavor.

Bowl of mussles - Good. I'm not a big fan of mussels but the flavoring of the sauce was delicate and green. couldn't put a finger on the flavors. I guess they made the sauce a bit less powerful as to not overpower the mussels

corn chips - house made and fresh. paired with salsa and guac. These are legit fried corn chips. Super crispy and thick. Great for scooping up that salsa. Guac was thick and smooth, they don't cheap out on the avocados, salsa was thick and full of fresh tomato puree and spices. I added extra hot sauce to it for extra zing.

For myself:

Two orders of tacos, each order has two tacos which for me is pretty much a one-biter. around 6-8 dollars per order depending on selection and what you want to fill the tacos with.

Al pastor tacos - sweet and savoury pulled pork topped with some rough-cut cucumber salsa. The sauce was just dripping out of the taco. Pulled pork was so tender it was essentially melting out of the taco.

Carne Asada taco - Steak slices in a taco drizzed with some white sawce and stood beside a wad of guac. Juicy and fills your mouth with orgasmic flavor. Not sure if I came first or the taco in my mouth that exploded with juicy bits.

Ended it with Churros to share. Can't say anything bad, it's powdered brown sugar on fried dough. Fresh and all that sweet yumminess had a chocolate sauce to pair it with. Nothing ground breaking. They give you 4 to share.

Total damage: $50 on my end because I spilled my friend's beer. This place needs some better fucking beer glasses, God damn it. The foot of the glass is smaller than the bowl of the glass, poor fuckin' design 2/10.

Otherwise the restaurant is pretty damn amazing. I give it a solid 9/10. There's a waitress in there that's super cute. Reminds me of Sasha Grey.

Last edited by ZN6; 07-22-2016 at 08:18 AM.
This post thanked by: