REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 11-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #7526
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
checked the same menu for gothams and hy's.. exact same

went to both already and both are great steakhouses

probably going to hy's next month to celebrate birthday. $80 for $100 giftcard seems like a steal....
Advertisement

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #7527
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,333 Times in 5,645 Posts
Gotham was worse than the Keg last time i went.. like wayyy worse.. and to pay that price and have kids running up and down the isles, no thanks.

I'll always go with Hy's from now on until i have a bad experiance there
Old 11-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #7528
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
I still miss my Mortons steak House.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #7529

browns social house @ richmond

menu is a bit meh imo , bit boring and not that much choice compared to other chains

burnaby is a lot better with more TVs and structure

The chicken carbonara is one of the best dishes @ the resto, always get half seasoned (fully seasoned is super salty!!) the dragon bowl is delicious as well! Both my favorite dish and the oreo jar is a must try

the other times i went i couldnt remember what I had because it wasn't memorable/tasty

burgers and sandwiches suck

tldr : go burnaby location, dont get burgers or sandwiches, oreo jar, dragon bowl, and chicken carbonara is a must

7.5/10

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Old 11-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #7530
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Went to Cafe Loyal for the first time for lunch. Curry Beef Brisket was pretty good, but kinda expected there to be a bit more potato. Still fast as fuck service and the price isn't terrible.

7.5/10
Old 11-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #7531

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Went to Cafe Loyal for the first time for lunch. Curry Beef Brisket was pretty good, but kinda expected there to be a bit more potato. Still fast as fuck service and the price isn't terrible.

7.5/10
Agreed, i went for the first time the other day after driving by this place for years and my first initial shock that it was more cafeteria style vs sit down but I welcomed the change and shit it was quick, cheap, and decent. It'll never get a 10/10 but shit, it gets a solid 7.5 or so too in my books and ain't nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #7532
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
gotham, went only because its the city where batman resides
7.5/10
went for my bday dinner with the family, got the tomahawk steak, sauteed shrimps, cheese toast, spiced mushrooms, mash potatoes and asparagus

the shrimps werent that great... def wasnt worth 25$, however the service was amazing as expected, had to make a special request, my father doesnt eat red meat anymore so they were willing to take slices back and recook it for him, server was really attentive and friendly, had a great time
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #7533
God of Unce

West

Company dinner set menu

Had some sort of seafood appy on the house, very strong crab taste. 8.5/10

Duck Salad 9/10
Since the exec. chef is vietnamese, I picked up some of the vietnamese taste (fish sauce vinaigrette) and some sort of chip that resembles shrimp chips. A spinoff off of peking duck?

Mushroom Risotto 10/10
Very savoury yet refreshing at the same time with a hint of lemon.

Beef Tenderloin 10/10
The one of the most delicious steak i've had, VERY tender and soft, cooked rare to perfection. Bone marrow butter was a good addition. The layered potato thing was very good. Glad they didn't smother the steak with all the BBQ sauce and put it on a side for dipping or so.

Chocolate cake with grapes? 9.5/10
Good way to end the meal. Chocolate cake was very dense and rich in flavour while the grapes in some sort syrup was refreshing. The ice cream was very light and creamy, good pair with the chocolate.

Drinks 9.5/10
Aged Negroni was good, but they didn't use a block of ice but rather chunks. Had the other cocktail which consists of Hennessy, very good.

Service 10/10
Drinks always never empty. Napkin always folded and put back on table when you left your seat.

Would come back to try other dishes they have.

Last edited by Armind; 12-05-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #7534

Black and Blue on Friday for gf's work dinner. Had the Seared Tuna Jalapeno for starters. That's exactly what it was, seared tuna with sliced jalapenos on top. Uninspiring. I thought it was gonna be some sort of marinade or sauce that made it "jalapeno" Tuna wasn't the best sushi grade as it tasted slightly better than T&T sashimi. 2/10 Thought this time I'd give the beef wellington a try since last time they told me medium rare can't be achieved (I didn't order it last time) Well they still can't do it as it came out medium well (For the record Hy's makes it medium rare only) Although the steak was quite tender (I'll give them that) it wasn't flavourful at all and the pastry pretty much fell apart from the first slice. 2/10. I'll however will give them an overall 4/10 as the server was quite entertaining. For what they charge vs what they produce its highway robbery and if it wasn't for their location they would've shut down a long time ago
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #7535

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Black and Blue on Friday for gf's work dinner. Had the Seared Tuna Jalapeno for starters. That's exactly what it was, seared tuna with sliced jalapenos on top. Uninspiring. I thought it was gonna be some sort of marinade or sauce that made it "jalapeno" Tuna wasn't the best sushi grade as it tasted slightly better than T&T sashimi. 2/10 Thought this time I'd give the beef wellington a try since last time they told me medium rare can't be achieved (I didn't order it last time) Well they still can't do it as it came out medium well (For the record Hy's makes it medium rare only) Although the steak was quite tender (I'll give them that) it wasn't flavourful at all and the pastry pretty much fell apart from the first slice. 2/10. I'll however will give them an overall 4/10 as the server was quite entertaining. For what they charge vs what they produce its highway robbery and if it wasn't for their location they would've shut down a long time ago
had the beef wellington there before for my bday as well , was so friggin disappointed.

Even hells kitchen's beef wellington was medium rare for f*ck sakes!

Quote:
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #7536
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post

7.5/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Agreed, i went for the first time the other day after driving by this place for years and my first initial shock that it was more cafeteria style vs sit down but I welcomed the change and shit it was quick, cheap, and decent. It'll never get a 10/10 but shit, it gets a solid 7.5 or so too in my books and ain't nothing wrong with that.
that parking lot leaves much to be desired.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #7537

browns social house @ richmond again.

worst fish and chips ever..... fish counter is 1000x better,

potato crusted halibut .... god damn terrible and bland

the ONLY thing worth it there imo is the nachos, wings, dragon bowl (spicy yogurt and teriyaki... sort of like the teriyaki chicken bowl @ cactus, and chicken carbonara which is the best dish imo. Super creamy pasta but ask for light seasoning and it can be super salty if it is with regular seasoning portion.)

5/10

Ebisu happy house and regular menu @ robson, saw the boss here busy interviewing people so couldnt say hi

oysters were friggin delicious for $1.... wish I ordered more... love the mayo torched salmon roll. Just wished it had more mayo though.... it was more saucy in my 2015 visit and looks like the mayo portion on top was cut in half?

8/10

Kingyo

Didn't feel full after ordering a lot of food. Tuna tataki was big but super saucy and gross, way too much sauce. Kobe steak BBQ on the stone was cool but overpriced and not as many pieces, sashimi salad was good in portion but too much sauce. The only thing I would say decent was the matcha creme brulee

6.5/10 , would probably never go back, everything was just too saucy and gross

Quote:
my bedroom =D
Quote:

Last edited by Verdasco; 12-06-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #7538
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Anna Lena which received 9/10 and 5/5 all over the place, I'll give it a 4/10

Kitchen was super slow, plates were mediocre and uninspiring even if the ingredients were top notch, the wait staff were great but the speed of the food output was terrible, I'm talking 2.5 hours for 5 plates where one was an appy.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #7539
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Anna Lena which received 9/10 and 5/5 all over the place, I'll give it a 4/10

Kitchen was super slow, plates were mediocre and uninspiring even if the ingredients were top notch, the wait staff were great but the speed of the food output was terrible, I'm talking 2.5 hours for 5 plates where one was an appy.
I'm shocked. AnnaLena is quite consistent.

Semi-OT but how would you guys rank AnnaLena, Savio Volpe and Kissa Tanto?

I've only been to AnnaLena and it was really good. I'm not too sure if Savio Volpe and Kissa Tanto is all hype or not.
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #7540

keg steakhouse @ alberni street downtown

got two new york strip, one medium well, other medium rare

my medium rare came out medium well , other persons was well done

returned both steaks (didnt give the other person myself because it was eaten on the sides a bit, inside was cooked medium well but had a big chunk missing)

new batch came out rare (for a medium well) and rare (for a medium rare)

im like the FUCK?!! in my head obviously... reminded me of hells kitchen.

A guy fcks up a steak, Gordon Ramsay complains and said "gave you given up?!?" "No Chef!"

"well it looks like you have you fcking pig" "give me 5 minutes chef"

reminded me of this dialogue..... literally gave us blue rare steaks and rushed it out the window. Manager probably brought it back and the head chef probably started smashing the steaks with his fist lol

manager came by, reheated the steaks and it still came out fcking rare.... othe persons was medium well , didnt complain and ate it

comped $100 meal, free drinks , paid the tip though, didnt have too but I wanted too, servers and managers were top notch

would never go back for any KEG imo, steaks were so much better at Hy's steakhouse lmao

Quote:
my bedroom =D
Quote:

Last edited by Verdasco; 12-13-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #7541
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,333 Times in 5,645 Posts
wouldn't judge someone's gauge on "rare" who is ordering a medium Well
Old 12-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #7542
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
"Medium rare! No blood or I'm sending it back!"
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #7543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
wouldn't judge someone's gauge on "rare" who is ordering a medium Well
medium well wasn't my steak, but rare is rare when it is dead cold in the middle

Quote:
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Old 12-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #7544
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
keg steakhouse @ alberni street downtown

got two new york strip, one medium well, other medium rare

my medium rare came out medium well , other persons was well done

returned both steaks (didnt give the other person myself because it was eaten on the sides a bit, inside was cooked medium well but had a big chunk missing)

new batch came out rare (for a medium well) and rare (for a medium rare)

im like the FUCK?!! in my head obviously... reminded me of hells kitchen.

A guy fcks up a steak, Gordon Ramsay complains and said "gave you given up?!?" "No Chef!"

"well it looks like you have you fcking pig" "give me 5 minutes chef"

reminded me of this dialogue..... literally gave us blue rare steaks and rushed it out the window. Manager probably brought it back and the head chef probably started smashing the steaks with his fist lol

manager came by, reheated the steaks and it still came out fcking rare.... othe persons was medium well , didnt complain and ate it

comped $100 meal, free drinks , paid the tip though, didnt have too but I wanted too, servers and managers were top notch

would never go back for any KEG imo, steaks were so much better at Hy's steakhouse lmao
should've forked up the dough for Hy's

Wasn't there a page dedicated to bashing Keg and jerking off Hy's a couple pages back and you still decided to go get steaks there?
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:56 AM   #7545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
should've forked up the dough for Hy's

Wasn't there a page dedicated to bashing Keg and jerking off Hy's a couple pages back and you still decided to go get steaks there?
wasn't my choice to go but I wish i can turn back time and convince...... "but i never tried HY's!!! I dont know if its better than kegs...."

let me push you off a bridge for not wanting to go

Quote:
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Old 12-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #7546

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
I'm shocked. AnnaLena is quite consistent.

Semi-OT but how would you guys rank AnnaLena, Savio Volpe and Kissa Tanto?

I've only been to AnnaLena and it was really good. I'm not too sure if Savio Volpe and Kissa Tanto is all hype or not.
I'm surprised about Anna Lena as well, my experience there has been always been consistently excellent.

Savio's food is still tasty but I personally feel over the last half year over 4 visits, the service is on the decline. It almost feels like the staff are buying into the hype too much and know that regardless of service, the place will always be busy (still quite busy on weeknights)

Kissa Tanto has been spot on for me for food and service. I can't stop ordering the cruda and the fried octopus salad recently. One thing I don't like though is the dessert, I've stopped ordering it all together because I keep getting disappointed but it may be a personal taste thing.

Last edited by Derek_N84; 12-15-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Derek_N84 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #7547

Tried Kissa Tanto last night, my first visit and my wife's 4th. Food was excellent, everything was cooked to perfection and the flavors were not overpowering. Our server was top notch and I like the vibe and decor of the place as well. Will go back again.

IMO better than Anna Leena. Next up Savio.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #7548
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Kissa Tanto fully booked from Dec 24 to Jan 4
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #7549

Quote:
They've been fully booked for a couple months online but they hold quite a few tables for walk in. If timed right and some luck you can walk right in and sit or a short wait. Last night for example I had a reservation for 930, yes I know that's a late dinner but they had at least 3 tables empty the entire time ready for a walk in.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #7550

Quote:
They did win Canada's best new resto so ...expect Vancouver hype train to flood it for a while