REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #2076
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
this thread is so much better with pics
Advertisement
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #2077
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
Suika Japanese restaurant, (gave it a try after another RS member posted on the last page it was good)

Went on NYE with fiance, couldnt book a table but "sushi bar" was ok, I was actually surprised the table top was huge. Most izakaya places have tiny bar tables.

Started with sashimi 3 kinds, i think this was under $10. Very cheap considering you get 3 piece of hamachi, amaebi, and tuna.

Then was the melt in your mouth, roaste then braised cha-shu. It was kinda like Kintaro's fatty pork. $6 i think

Tuna carpaccio, came highly recommended from net reviews. Had a chili oil sauce that wasnt hot , but fragrant. $5-7 forgot

Beef tendon, kimchi and egg hot pot. $10, do not try, unless you like salty and over sweet sukiyaki. I actually got it cancelled since it was so sweet.

Kakuni bibimbap , stewed pork belly stone pot rice. $8-10 forgot again

Shime-saba salad $7? , seared saba ala Haka izakaya style, was way too fishy tasting, maybe the saba wasnt that fresh. Served with a mustard seed soy dressing which was nice.

Ton-toro. It was a generous serving for $6? Probably double the pieces you'd get at guu. However it was better tasting at guu.

Last dish, asparagus chawan mushi. Worst chawan mushi ever, bland, tasteless, and i don't know why they called it asparagus, as there was none of it at all.

OVERALL: I was expecting to see a bill over $100 since it seemed like we ordered alot of food. It came to about $70 ish for 2 ppl with no drinks. I would rate it 7/10, i would stick with guu for izakaya style. But i'd still go zakkushi for their skewers
Yeah, I went back there a few times since I last posted. I didnt get to try some of the things you got..but what I do agree with you is they're more of a 7/10 than 9/10 since my first post.

I remember ordering the following:

Amaebi kimchi shashimi
braised cha-shu
Duck Carpaccio
Shashimi Shake Salad
Saba Roast--??
AAA Steak slices
Ebi-Mayo
Ton-Toro

and a few other dishes...cute friendly servers I have to admit.

edit: I believe I remember chatting with one of the waitresses and she mentioned that Suika is a sister resto to Kingyo (same owner).
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #2078
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
Yeah, I went back there a few times since I last posted. I didnt get to try some of the things you got..but what I do agree with you is they're more of a 7/10 than 9/10 since my first post.

I remember ordering the following:

Amaebi kimchi shashimi
braised cha-shu
Duck Carpaccio
Shashimi Shake Salad
Saba Roast--??
AAA Steak slices
Ebi-Mayo
Ton-Toro

and a few other dishes...cute friendly servers I have to admit.

edit: I believe I remember chatting with one of the waitresses and she mentioned that Suika is a sister resto to Kingyo (same owner).
It's "SASHIMI" not "SHASHIMI" Dammit!
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #2079
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Sushi Garden again

Good prices/value/fresh and good service too if you go to the Brentwood location.
cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #2080
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

NY fries

Large with gravy yumyumyum

5/5
Posted via RS Mobile
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #2081
Hyde's Understudy

Supafly: yes in fact Suika is opened by same owners as kingyo
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by BlackZRoadster; 01-05-2011 at 08:03 AM.
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #2082
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Takis Tavernas (down the block from Stephos)

Went here after seeing the horrendous line @ Stephos. The things that people will do to save a couple bucks to eat semi-crappy Greek Food. I am happy to report that Taki's is a tad more expensive, but worth the extra cost.

I was rather satisfied. 8.5/10. The roast lamb (Kleftiko) was excellent. Excuse the poor pictures, it was epically dim in the restaurant.

Ambience:

I'd return!
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #2083

Browns Ironwood

Fettucini Carbonara 7/10
Flatbread that came with it was too salty
Was also expecting a larger portion as I got the "full" order ad suppose to the half. The half order must be tiny.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #2084
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Cafe D'Lite - Aberdeen Food Court

Hainanese Chicken Rice - 9/10. Delicious.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #2085
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Via Veneto

6/10

Starter caesar was mediocre with a bland dressing but the potato and leek soup bordered on good. Lousy texture on the gnocchi, which compared to severely overcooked pasta. Rack of lamb was dry. Pasta primavera was average and the Alaskan Cod was easily the best entree. Tiramisu was spot on, the thin sliver of chocolate mousse cake was good while their cream brulee is really a flan with a hastily reduced caramel sauce (too bitter/burnt). SLOW service. Rather surprised since the owner is from Amarcord.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #2086
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Cafe D'Lite - Aberdeen Food Court

Hainanese Chicken Rice - 9/10. Delicious.
impossible. i took my kids to eat that this weekend and it was crap.... i shouldve went to prata-man. you probably lucked out and in retrospect i probably caught them on an off day, was the cute chick working the counter?
I bet you saw the line up at the hongkong cafe and shanghai place and said f it and went to cafe d'lite :P

anyone try out Kefi's greek kouzina on lougheed lately? I wanna know if the current chef(s) is any good.

Also anyone try out 'The old French Quarter pub" wings(the one on brunette)? just wanna know if its even worth it for me to go tomorrow for their 20cent wing night. cuz you know $20 = 100 wings (+tax) LOL
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #2087
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Dai Jang Kam in Richmond.

Korean food, done decent. I'd say 7.5/10. I haven't been a fan of Jang Mo Jib lately.

Pan Chan

Beef ribs were great

Mul Nyang Myun

BiBim Nyang Myun

Came with the bill

I'd return.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #2088
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
chubby lamb 9/10
anybody have any idea on when that new hot pot place is gonna open, it was in a old hot pot place and it looks like it is being renovated
thats clay pot, they reopened now, haven't been since the new renovations but it looks pretty nice this time
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #2089
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
impossible. i took my kids to eat that this weekend and it was crap....you probably lucked out and in retrospect i probably caught them on an off day, was the cute chick working the counter?
I was told Cafe D'lite is hit'n'miss. Perhaps I got lucky. It was some older mom who served us. No cute chick.

Quote:
i shouldve went to prata-man.
I haven't been there but I always end up driving past it. Will try next time.

Quote:
I bet you saw the line up at the hongkong cafe and shanghai place and said f it and went to cafe d'lite :P
Naw, I went when Aberdeen was pretty dead at around 5:45pm.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #2090
Hyde's Understudy

I love the Ginger green onion sauce at prata man. Its probably msg laced. One time I bit into a couple specks of undisolved msg and it was so damn salty. The chicken would be better ifnit was free range. Rice is good though and cheap for a satisfying meal
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #2091
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
prata man has been around for a very long time! its pretty good! though there is this bump around the front door and it caused this old granny to trip and fall
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #2092

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
I hear prataman is a dump.....
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #2093
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
oh yea prata-man is an fugly dump, but the hainan chicken is so tasty and cheap.

but where else can you get a whole hainan chicken and 5 bowls of chicken rice (two of those super large takeout trays(square ones not the rectangular one), and the tasty ginger green onion sauce and hot sauce for just over 20 bucks? that shit feed my family for two days next time i grab some ill post pics

reminds me of the old bestone restaurant that used to be on westminster highway (plaza beside e-canteen closer to 3 road) that place was a mega dump but the food was spectacular.
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Just order take out
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #2095
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
prata man is alright. their hainanese chicken is good but the rest of the menu not so great.
the meegoreng has good chunks of beef but its anything but authentic. theres way too much ketchup in there and once i found a tiny little conch like shell in it (wtf)

i used to like this place but not anymore
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #2096
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Red Burrito 8/10

Megabite Pizza 8/10
cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #2097
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Went to Anducci's (hastings location) last night and had their veal piccata. Meat was dry and rough and the rissoto that it came with looked like they let it rest for awhile before they served it, so it was somewhat greasy looking. Also had their Godfather pizza which the server claimed was their best seller; it wasn't impressive either.

Overall, give it a 3/10 on the mystery meat dish and a 4.5/10 on the pizza. My wife and friends ordered pasta and enjoyed it. Guess I'll stick to that if I ever go back.

Anyways, thoroughly surprised the food was so bad. I've never had a bad experience at their location near Lougheed Mall.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #2098
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Went to Anducci's (hastings location) last night and had their veal piccata. Meat was dry and rough and the rissoto that it came with looked like they let it rest for awhile before they served it, so it was somewhat greasy looking. Also had their Godfather pizza which the server claimed was their best seller; it wasn't impressive either.

Overall, give it a 3/10 on the mystery meat dish and a 4.5/10 on the pizza. My wife and friends ordered pasta and enjoyed it. Guess I'll stick to that if I ever go back.

Anyways, thoroughly surprised the food was so bad. I've never had a bad experience at their location near Lougheed Mall.
Yea I had the worst service and the food was mediocre, like 1/10 when I went the only time 3 years ago.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #2099
God of Unce

Dasom

Tried the seafood hotpot

6/10
Old 01-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #2100
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Takis Tavernas (down the block from Stephos)

Went here after seeing the horrendous line @ Stephos. The things that people will do to save a couple bucks to eat semi-crappy Greek Food. I am happy to report that Taki's is a tad more expensive, but worth the extra cost.

I was rather satisfied. 8.5/10. The roast lamb (Kleftiko) was excellent. Excuse the poor pictures, it was epically dim in the restaurant.

Ambience:

I'd return!
location?
dignatas is offline   Reply With Quote