REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #1351
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
Torarenbo sushi in Richmond
10/10

Fresh sashimi
Best toro I've had, melted right in my mouth!
reasonable price

Will go back for sure
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #1352
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Had a little get together with friends. I made some sushi & Takoyaki, but it was more of a roll your own hand cone party.

Berry parfait
wow, your friends are VERY lucky.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #1353
Banned (BBM)

can i be ur friend?

LOLLL
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #1354
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
spicy court 9/10
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #1355
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Cattle Cafe

7/10
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #1356
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
Five Guys Burgers and Fries
8/10
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #1357
I bringith the lowerballerith

Vassilis Souvlaki Greek Taverna (on Kingways in Burnbaby)

Coles Notes:
Food: 1/10
Service: 3/10
Value: 1/10 ($18.95 for a microwaved lamb roast dinner )
Ambiance: 5/10
Overall: 2.5/10

Will never recommend, return or repeat.

Detailed Review:
Where do we start....

I wouldn't call myself a professional chef or even someone with in depth knowledge of greek cuisine. But I can definitely tell if the food plausible or if its good.

I've driven past the restaurant many times and have always been fascinated with the exterior (goes to show by judging a book by its cover). The restaurant looks pristine with its clean white color stucco and homey blue wooden window trims. As you enter into the restaurant you are welcomed by the classic greek interior decoration (seemingly like a greek cottage). It also help's that the owner prides his red ferrari f430 always parking at the first spot of the restaurant.

The hostess / waitress took awhile to greet us and show us to the table. I ended up ordering the lamb dinner.

Lamb dinner came with
- Roast Lamb: this wasn't roasted it was more par boiled and finished in the oven for some color. What was bad about this was that came to the table luke warm and barely had any flavour or seasoning. I suspect this was microwaved and served.
- Greek Salad: mediocre at best as you can't really screw this up
- Pita bread: rock hard and tasted stale
- Greek Rice: mushy rice with absolutely no flavour. It was definitely mass produced and warmed up by microwave.
- Sides of vegetables: Green peas was a sad dish mushy. Potatoes were decent as they were pan friend and crispy. Grill zuchunni - nothing to write home about.
- Tzaki: the only saving grace for the meal.

The lamb dinner was about $18.95 which was on the pricier side given the quality of the ingredients and the way it was prepared.

Overall, go if you enjoy the decent decor and microwaved food. I for one would not repeat or recommend.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #1358
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Kingspark - 8.5/10
van19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #1359
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Italian Kitchen - 8+/10

Above average food, decently priced
the Antipasto Misto was a good start and pretty filling, but their pastas are a bit of a disappointment for what they cost

Doesn't really help that the first floor patio gets a lot of cigarette smoke every now and then, but other than that, the atmosphere was enjoyable the the service was decent.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #1360
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Dinner at home - lobster soup, Foie Gras pate from France with French baguette, prime rib & Mango Sobret

Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #1361
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Sushi Garden on Lougheed

Food - 8 / 10
Service - 5 / 10
Value - 9 / 10

Jeez Christ that place was mad packed! Went at around 12:50 and there was a huge ass lineup for a place that small. The waiting area is freaking small and add on that there are last least 20 ppl there, it got really hot. When I was finally seated and was ready to order, I tried flagging down somebody multiple times and of course no answer.

Then, when I asked for tea (they brought water first), the waiter's hand slipped while she was placing the tray onto our table. The hot tea & tempura sauce spilled all over the table and over the tray, almost pouring it straight onto my shorts, that wouldn't have been pretty. The girl felt really bad about it and then kept apologizing which I felt was fine cause I wasn't burned or anything. I ordered and then about 20 mins later she drops a couple plates onto the floor and the whole restaurant goes quiet for about 5 mins while the boss just stares at her. Obviously it wasn't her day.

She cleans it up and she basically looks depressed the whole shift. The area to the entrance to the kitchen / cashier / washrooms was WAY too small. They had deliveries going through, a cart for dirty plates, waiter's grabbing food, people going to the washroom, AND a line up to the cashier for paying and getting seats right beside it (almost a line up the whole damn time i was there). Jeez Christ, it was like a disaster as I was sitting like RIGHT there and I was expecting multiple accidents. The delivery people had carts of shit that covered like 90% of the lane.

On a good note, the food was great. I had the Salmon and Tuna Sashimi which was cut into very very thick slices and the Udon Tempura was terrific as well although the portion was small this time. I also had a medium party tray which had almost everything. The California Roll, Scallop Roll (?) were okay but I didn't really like the Dynamite Roll or the Salmon Roll (?) that much. I also ordered a Salmon Cone but I didn't eat that. The total came to about 50$ with tip included (4 ppl)

Maybe my expectations were a bit high and the hot weather made me more picky?

COLES NOTES: shitty service, good food
almost got hot water spilled on me
small waiting area
small lane area in the back to the washrooms

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #1362
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
^
11:45 to 1pm is always packed. My coworkers and I avoid Sushi Garden at all costs during that period.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #1363
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
11:45 to 1pm is always packed. My coworkers and I avoid Sushi Garden at all costs during that period.
i guess i know now

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #1364
RS Veteran

Best time to go (if you ever go back) is between 1:30pm to 4pm.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 08-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #1365
RS Operative (G)

that prime looks money $$$$
Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #1366
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Golden Swan.
9/10 for food.
6/10 for the restaurant itself. The floor is infested with ants. We put a pitcher on the floor that was empty of Coke. 10 minutes later it was infested with ants.
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #1367
I don't get it

King Buffet in Richmond
6.5/10
All the soups there are basically junk and are not edible (had a weird taste). The sashimi was the only highlight of the night. Waitress lied about the chef gone and no more sashimi left. Luckily we managed to wait longer for it come. Dessert was meh and the fruit had flies flying around it. Pretty disgusting. Atmosphere was decent but it lacked customers... hmm i wonder why
Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #1368
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ were you in the group with some guy riding the black cbr and shoei helmet. on monday evening.

anyways the food was aite. kinda not "phresh". maybe they just wanted to close and not make anymore food for the day.

tell your group to stop hogging up the salmon sashimi. other ppl like us want to share too. you guys were like bunch of savages when it came out. some chubby guy wearing a brown t-shirt in your group took like 20 pieces to one dish. no jokes seriously
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #1369
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Splitz Grill.

I read up on the burger thread and some of you guys go to this place near Main/King Ed. so I decided to check this place out for myself. I don't know why, but to me it didn't seem that great of a burger shack.

I ordered their regular 1/3lb beef burger. I got the combo which came with small fries and a small drink. Total after taxes came to $10.58. That price seems to be around the same range with Veras, Fatburger and other similar burger places.

They had a lot of sauce choices and the veggies were nice and fresh to choose from. When it came down to eating, it wasn't anything extraordinary. But what made it worse was that I found some pink uncooked parts of the burger patty. I brought it to the attention kindly to the lady at the till, and she informed the cook, and I got another burger that was more cooked.

Overall, they were nice about it and I was happy with that.

Food: 5/10 Nothing special to me, and uncooked parts of the patty was the major part this score

Atmosphere/Service: 7/10 the lady taking my order was nice and so was the cook when they made me another burger.

I wouldn't come back to this place again though. I guess I'll go try some other burger places out there.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #1370
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
What's wrong with some pink in your meat?

Unless it's "excessively" (relative term) pink...I don't see a problem.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #1371
RS Veteran

FYI, the meat used at Splitz is not ground beef therefore it's okay for the beef to be undercooked. It's too bad you did not enjoy the burger at Splitz Grill. Perhaps you could share with us a place that serves excellent burgers that can and will meet your expectations.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #1372
RS Operative (G)

top gun h/pot
8/10
Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #1373
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
FYI, the meat used at Splitz is not ground beef therefore it's okay for the beef to be undercooked. It's too bad you did not enjoy the burger at Splitz Grill. Perhaps you could share with us a place that serves excellent burgers that can and will meet your expectations.
Sounds like you are offended he didn't like it?
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #1374
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
last sunday my dad & i were hungry so i said let eat raman, i was gonna take him to g-ramen in richmond but he wanted to try out "au wing kee" instead (in the same mall) & it was a fail (well not completely) since i realize that "tsim chai gay" (across from RPM) is much better in quality

6/10 since it was decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #1375
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

phnom penh - 7/10

I would usually give this place atleast an 8, but today's lunch was a little disappointing.