REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #2176
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
I ate at this Chinese Buffet 9/10 ( forgot name) where Richmond Hon's used to be. I went in for the breakfast buffet $4ish. There was was a decent selection, and for the price I could not complain about the quality.
Damn I am really curious about this place, I keep passing by it looks quite busy at night. Dinner is $16 according to google and lunch is $11?
Maybe I'll go in for lunch some day.

Went to ninkazu for ayce + hotpot. $3 extra for hotpot can't really go wrong. Sashimi was not bad but california roll tasted like paper, and that generally applies for most of their sushi, really bland but one thing I noticed was that they were quite colourful which I found odd. Personally I think richmond sushi is a little better. I still have no intentions of ditching matsuyama for late night though
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #2177
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
E-Canteen (only because Alleluia was closed for a staff function)
1/10

Worst curry beef brisket ever.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #2178
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
^ you would have liked alleluia.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #2179
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Damn I am really curious about this place, I keep passing by it looks quite busy at night. Dinner is $16 according to google and lunch is $11?

Went to ninkazu for ayce + hotpot. $3 extra for hotpot can't really go wrong. Sashimi was not bad but california roll tasted like paper, and that generally applies for most of their sushi, really bland but one thing I noticed was that they were quite colourful which I found odd. Personally I think richmond sushi is a little better. I still have no intentions of ditching matsuyama for late night though

http://chowtimes.com/2010/12/24/king...tems-for-5-00/

i think its this place
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #2180
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post

Yeah I think those prices seem right.

Ninkazu is way better than Richmond Sushi..... Richmond Sushi's quality/selection has gone down so much. It is the AYCE that I would not go to anymore.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #2181
Need to Seek Professional Help

Banzai Sushi

7.5/10 - would be higher but the huge rolls keeps on falling apart!!!!!!!
BoS_DC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #2182
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
Song Huong: 7/10

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
LsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #2183
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
That is awesome that they have those eggs, 3 of those are already worth quite a bit at Yaohan. Definitely have to try it now

Went to Felicos last night, with my brother and dad, haven't been here in at least 5 years. Rack of lamb was AMAZING, everything else was so-so. Hummus homous whatever way you like to spell it, wasn't good, I used to work at burgoo and we made a better one IMO and it's so easy to make. Great service due to us being the only table that at 6 pm haha. Overall pretty good value after tips was about $27 per person and we were stuffed. Way better than going to ninkazu or K.K. Dollar for that kind of money :P
Old 01-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #2184
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoS_DC2 View Post
Banzai Sushi

7.5/10 - would be higher but the huge rolls keeps on falling apart!!!!!!!
That's what she said
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #2185
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
8/10 just cuz the dam soup had sooooooo much meat (large number 11) the spring rolls were a lil mushy but the outside was cooked well, i think they were frozen and just dropped it in the fryer, wouldve been way better if it was defrosted
new place just open for a couple months same building as Copa Cafe, the inside was really nice(furniture etc.) for a pho place!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00010.jpg (55.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00011.jpg (169.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #2186
F**K YOUR HEAD

Cheesecake etc. -100/10
This is the second horrible experience I had here. I paid $1 for parking (40 mins) hoping to give them a second chance. Took 10 minutes to take my order. Ordered cheesecake + strawberries. Half an hour later not even a glass of water. Second time walking out of this shithole in 4 months.

Flo 8/10
Good balance of great drinks and normal Hk style cafe food + some Taiwanese stuff. Ordered portugese chicken rice can't really go wrong. It is a little pricey for the little portion you get but one of the fewer places that serve set meals throughout the night.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #2187
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
^ woah i went to cheesecake etc. once and the service was prompt and attentive..hit or miss?
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #2188
Banned (ABWS)

phnem phen or something like that in chinatown?? had chicken wings, rare beef, beef and egg rice 9/10. Shits expensive for a chinatown resteraunt... I use to live near there too
dignatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #2189
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
$4???? are you serious?? that is cheaper than McDonald's meal

whats in the $4? eggs, sausage , coffee etc?

... LOL!!!
dignatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #2190
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate View Post
Golden Phenix Dim Sum 9/10

Big portions and tasty dim sum. The place is crowded and loud, the staff is pushy, just my kinda joint!

Very "yeet low" busy atmosphere, me likey!
My family loves going here for dim sum. Cheap, big sizes, and I absolutely love their siu mai.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #2191
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Les Faux Bourgeois: 7/10

Don't know why there's so many rave reviews. While the food was decent, it's really just French pub food done well. Overall I found the appetizer menu a little lacking. Entrees were ok.

Actually I left the place a little disappointed cause of all the hype. I was also expecting it to tilt a little towards fine dining; which was not the case. Anyways, nothing to write home about. I'd rather go back to le crocodile and pay the premium.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #2192
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Zachary's on Robson: 5/10

Items ordered:
Calamari - bland (tasted like it was dredged in flour only)

Seared Halibut with Pesto Caper sauce - good balance of flavours but overcooked (liked the pop of flavour the capers provided but the sweetness of fish lost due to being overdone)

Accompanying vegetables - doesn't get much better than this (buttery flavour, natural sweetness of vegetables came through, good texture)

Accompanying mashed potatoes - BLAND (boiled potatoes + MC Hammer time)

Service was inexplicably slow at the end of the meal. Walking into the place, the restaurant was literally empty (7PM Friday night). Service started out alright (asked for drinks, 5 min to go over the menu), but when it came to getting the cheque there was no one to be found for over five minutes (8PM) when there was maybe one other table in the restaurant.

There's no reason for me to return.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #2193
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Actually I left the place a little disappointed cause of all the hype. I was also expecting it to tilt a little towards fine dining
Perhaps you got the wrong impression with the rave and reviews. I have yet to come across a post which portrayed LFB to be fine dining, because the demographic, location and the ambiance are quite contrary to your review. Ch28 posted specifically in this thread (or a similar one) stating specifically LFB was not fine dining.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #2194
Hyde's Understudy

^ also when I did my review on it I stated that it's nowhere close to crocodile but given the price it's good for what it is.

Spoon : please tell us where someone said this is fine dining?
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #2195
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Doesn't matter if it was fine dining or not; though I did go expecting something better than the average joint (in terms of decor, service etc.). The food and the overall experience just did not wow me enough to make me want to go back.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #2196
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Doesn't matter if it was fine dining or not; though I did go expecting something better than the average joint (in terms of decor, service etc.). The food and the overall experience just did not wow me enough to make me want to go back.
Still curious what lead you to "expect" or lean towards fine dining like your original post?

It's located near Fraser ? Entrees were all about $20 or less? This place is cheaper than milestones , earls, joeys etc.

It's like stephos there is so much rave reviews but the food sucks. It's bc ppl factor in price when they review the food they are served
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by BlackZRoadster; 01-20-2011 at 11:36 PM.
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #2197
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
cafe xu hue - 7.5/10
supposedly famous for their bun bo hue, i found it lacking in flavor and the meat was just no good.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #2198
My homepage has been set to RS

Kitanoya Guu in Gastown

Solid snack after the Canucks game. Don't think I have ever had a bad meal here.

8.5/10
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #2199
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
cafe xu hue - 7.5/10
supposedly famous for their bun bo hue, i found it lacking in flavor and the meat was just no good.
i recommend asking for chilli oil and shrimp paste so you can add more flavoring for your liking
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #2200
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Sushi paradise in new west 8.5/10

Good prices for the quality. Japanese operated.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote