REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #2851
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Les Faux Bourgeois

French Onion Soup
Mussel + fries
Duck Confit
Hanger steak

9.9/10. Everything was done to perfection and expectations although the duck could have been a little bit more moist, IMO. Great value, great food, and would always recommend this place to someone.

Carl's Jr. (Talulip, Seattle Premium Outlet Mall)
It was a 9/10 cuz it was so satisfying until I had to forfeit my Bacon Western Cheeseburger to someone who had ordered something w/ pineapples....and they're terribly allergic to them, LOL. So I had to eat some Turkey/Chicken Teriyaki-healthy burger. This made my experience end in a -10/10. FML. Still craving Carl's Jr.

Red Mango (Pacific Mall, Seattle)

Froyo was delicious! Got the pomegrante and vanillia twist w/ blueberries as topping. Better than ANY froyo that I've had in Vancouver (Qoola..etc).
10/10

Cheesecake Factory (Seattle)

First time here...and it was okay. Despite the size of my BBQ Smokehouse burger, it still didn't quench my appetite that grew from the Carl's Jr. deficiency. The food was just "okay". For the price, it's better than what the local Denny's can offer...but I understand there are different limitations. The pasta dish was "Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta"....which was okay. Some what bland, pasta was...blah, perhaps not salted enough? The last dish was some sort of corn bread with chicken quesadeilla. Didn't try it. Probably just mediocre as well. 7.5/10
Advertisement
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.

Last edited by Alphamale; 05-16-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #2852
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,497 Times in 4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
I remember going there a few years ago when it was still Gourmet Castle and the place smelled like a swimming pool.

The food was nothing special and they served anything from sushi to burgers. IMO it's a PNE tourist trap.
Yeah, it was never good to begin with. They definitely catered to the post-clubbing crowds and the late night folks.

There are new owners and they serve a concentrated Chinese menu, much like a typical Chinese restaurant but man, all their dishes are drenched in sauce and their service is extremely sub par (even for a Chinese restaurant!)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #2853
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
The "new" Gourmet Castle on East Hastings & Renfrew

-1000/10

Avoid this shitbox like the plague.
They weren't that bad . . . originally. Went to that place maybe 10 years ago when they started off. Decent for a late night place for chinese food. They only went downhills when they started offering pretty much anything and everything known to man outside of chinese food. Serves you right though, that should've been a warning sign for you already.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #2854
RS Veteran

You'd think after a change in ownership/management, they'd improve but instead, they got worse.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #2855

Zefferillis
Service: 10/10
Food: 9/10
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #2856
RS Veteran

Sushiholic
Food: 7/10
Service: -10/10

Owner was there and didn't even give a shit. Waitress was running around like crazy and took forever to take our order, refill our tea and cooks took their sweet ass time to prepare the food. They even managed to screw up the execution.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #2857
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSK View Post
Brado Pizza

9/10 - Best poutine I've had in Vancouver. Size is amazing and the fries are awesome. Cheese curds don't take like ass and are actually pretty good.
THIS.

Holy shit, I never knew that Vancouver had a good poutine place until I went there this week. Sizes are ridiculous for the price and the fries are actually good. I don't want to overhype this but I would definitely be going back for more.

I tried the regular large size poutine and it was massive. It was an entire take out box size (not the half one but the full one so like 6x6 inch). They have other types of poutine but I don't like to stray too far from tradition. I was going to try the smoked meat poutine but decided not to and go with the regular. I will probably try the smoked meat next time though.

Solid 9 out of 10 for me as well.

NEXT....

Fire Pizza

I'd give this place an 8/10. It isn't particularly fantastic but it certainly is something different. I enjoyed the pizza but the donair pizza wasn't so good. I would recommend everything other type of pizza except for that one. I will probably need to go back to get a better assessment of the place.

P.S. My adventure for this summer is to try what commercial drive has to offer so I'm slowly checking off my list of places I want to go. So far it has only been 4 places and there is a lot more to go. Any place you guys would recommend to try?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #2858
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
IHOP No 3 and Park
8/10

Had the Bacon mega mushroom burger with onion rings. The onion rings were huge and crunchy, loved it. The burger was really good, freshly cooked but I didn't really like the tomatoes.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #2859
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Brado Pizza

9/10 - Best poutine I've had in Vancouver. Size is amazing and the fries are awesome. Cheese curds don't take like ass and are actually pretty good.
I have never had cheese curds that taste like ass lol how would u describe the bad taste?
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #2860

Quote:
Brado Pizza

Gave this place a try after work today and the bitch ripped me off. I ordered a regular size smoked meat poutine and there was no smoked meat!! While I do admit that the fries were nice and the cheese curds were above average (very soft and gooey), $9 for fries won't make me a regular visitor.

BTW the box I got was about the size of my hand. Is that a small or regular?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #2861
I subscribe to Revscene

7/10 The Foundation

The Nachos were pretty darn good i'll have to admit (meatless)

i had some kind of sesame quinoa entree...its pretty good i suppose..and i know its vegetarian place...but i wanted to give this place a try out (i love meat)
and after the meal we went to A&W for some burgers LOL
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #2862
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
I have never had cheese curds that taste like ass lol how would u describe the bad taste?
Posted via RS Mobile
Like French women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Gave this place a try after work today and the bitch ripped me off. I ordered a regular size smoked meat poutine and there was no smoked meat!! While I do admit that the fries were nice and the cheese curds were above average (very soft and gooey), $9 for fries won't make me a regular visitor.

BTW the box I got was about the size of my hand. Is that a small or regular?
Let me find you some pics of the box sizes I saw.

The large on on the right is the large minus all the different sections. It is just a big large box. The regular is half of the large so the bottom left and small is the upper left box (which is half the regular).

For real reference.

This is the regular box and the large/small is either double the size or half the size.

And just FYI, the smoke meat med is like 7.99? Whereas the large regular poutine is like 8.99? I would have definitely opted for the large reg poutine.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #2863
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Don Cherry's in Maple Ridge

It's been open for 3 weeks with new owner's and everything is made in house including the bread. I had some wings which were great and the cheese sticks as a appie and they were beyond awesome. They use egg roll wraps for them and use Havarti cheese

9/10
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #2864

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
And just FYI, the smoke meat med is like 7.99? Whereas the large regular poutine is like 8.99? I would have definitely opted for the large reg poutine.

Fuuuuu . . . I got the small box for $8.99. Serves me right for not looking at the prices.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #2865
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Went to Zen Jap Restaurant in West Van with the GF because of the groupon promo for $12 for $25 worth (I still have another one if you're interested)

Honestly the food standards overall are pretty high, the prices are just ridiculous though, honestly felt sorry for the place, they had more employees than customers and I think 90% of it is the price. $15 for specialty rolls is steep. Our dinner pre groupon and tips was around $70 and we were still hungry.

Specialty Rolls:

Speckled Scallop Roll, wrapped with soy and had a nice bit of wasabi in it, I'd give it a 9/10, interesting flavours for sure

Kisu Roll, basically a bit of deep fried fish on a mango/cream cheese roll
7/10 decent but nothing too special

Hamachi Peak, kind of like a negitoro with a tempura outer layer, nice textures and balance of flavours 8/10

Popcorn Halibut, meh it's what you expect, fried fish with a zesty sauce 6/10

Shrooms 7/10 only because I love mushrooms, honestly nothing you couldn't whip up at home with a few minutes of prep, they are just that lol for ~$10 I'd skip it
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #2866

Dougie Dog
Nice buns, good wieners, interesting toppings
A little steep at $7 each though
7/10
Old 05-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #2867
Banned (ABWS)

Charcoal in richmond. 9/10

sashimi wrap is the bomb with two yolks
Posted via RS Mobile
dignatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #2868

Lemongrass
Large pho aint so large
7/10
Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #2869
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Fuuuuu . . . I got the small box for $8.99. Serves me right for not looking at the prices.
hahaha that sucks.

Next time I go, I'll order a large and split half with you.

No homo.

Or we could do a poutine meet...

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 05-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #2870
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

Or we could do a poutine meet...
I'll come, but for the chicken shawarma in the same building
-lincolnboi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #2871
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Wings 8/10

Good wings, great place to watch the games. Gave a free round of drinks every vancouver goal!
TRDeol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #2872
RS Veteran

Cucina Toscana

For the price and its location (considering there isn't much Italian in the area other than Italian Tomato - yuck) my lady friend and I quite enjoyed our meal. They could work a bit on the service (waitress was very soft spoken and not very engaging - perhaps no formal training) but otherwise, we both loved our starter soups and the pastas were excellent. Sauce was spot on, quality pasta (not like Anton's style) cooked al dente accompanied using quality ingredients. My lady friend had the Fettuccine Carbonara while I had the Linguine with Prosciutto & Garlic in White Wine Sauce. Dessert - we both had tiramisu which was alright but not terrible. Looks like it's made in-house and from scratch.

Total came to $24/$25 each before tips. Owned and operated by Chinese people. Chef/cook came out to ask how our food was and was very friendly.

I want to give it a solid 8.5 but it deserves a 9/10. I would definitely return.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 02-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #2873
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Timmy's on Bridgeport.
Got it for lunch on saturday.
10/10 fucking delicious
Really cheap and filling
medium double double. banana nut muffin. regular sized chicken salad sub on white bread
came out to $5.60 with tax
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0022.jpg (82.1 KB, 0 views)
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:05 AM   #2874
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo_s13 View Post
Dougie Dog
Nice buns, good wieners, interesting toppings
A little steep at $7 each though
7/10
eh go to dogfather instead. 5 dollars for the same product.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #2875
My homepage has been set to RS

After eating Tim Hortons for an entire summer basically (due to summer school), i find it more or less the Canadian manifestation of McDonalds

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote