REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #4176
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Sandy La.

Renamed from the previous Nancy's wonton house.
Menu is totally stripped down compared to previous ownership.
Food and taste is comparable. The waitresses always filled up our tea when it was low so that was great.

What really ticked me off, and I can't say many of you will agree, was the number of large tables in that place now, four large tables. Mind you this was after I left from a Canucks game. So it was 1130PM with four(?) large tables empty. The employees there were kind enough to give us a table which sits for four. Three minutes later a young couple came in wanting a seat. They were obviously coming off downtown after the hockey game, wearing Canucks jerseys, and wanted some late night snack. The booths were all occupied, and the employees simply told them to wait for the next available booth. The couple walked out after waiting for five minutes.

Anybody see anything wrong here? We sat there for almost 30-40mins and not one big party came in to dine.

8/10 for the food.
7/10 for the service, but the place left me with a very bad first impression.
Advertisement
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #4177
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by way2quik View Post
Sandy La.

Food and taste is comparable.

8/10 for the food.
8/10?
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #4178
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
8/10?

There's a reason why everyone I know calls that place Nasty's!
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #4179
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Matsuyama 7/10, went there with gf after work on V day since she was craving sushi. So busy! lol
K-bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #4180
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2quik View Post
Sandy La.

Menu is totally stripped down compared to previous ownership.
Food and taste is comparable. The waitresses always filled up our tea when it was low so that was great.

What really ticked me off, and I can't say many of you will agree, was the number of large tables in that place now, four large tables. Mind you this was after I left from a Canucks game. So it was 1130PM with four(?) large tables empty. The employees there were kind enough to give us a table which sits for four. Three minutes later a young couple came in wanting a seat. They were obviously coming off downtown after the hockey game, wearing Canucks jerseys, and wanted some late night snack. The booths were all occupied, and the employees simply told them to wait for the next available booth. The couple walked out after waiting for five minutes.

Anybody see anything wrong here? We sat there for almost 30-40mins and not one big party came in to dine.

8/10 for the food.
7/10 for the service, but the place left me with a very bad first impression.
I went there with my parents for the mid-lunar new year dinner. It was a full house, including the larger tables.

We ordered the gai lan with chicken, and the gai lan stumps were really chunky. I wouldn't say this dish was better than other places, but just average. The other dish was a seafood tofu pot, they were generous with the seafood and they put in a bunch of chopped chilli peppers. I liked this one since there was more flavour.

The service sucked. They didn't bring out the soup until my parents asked for it, and when it arrived, it wasn't warm. The bowl they brought out was sitting on the counter for quite some time already. I noticed with more people dining, the kitchen gets backed up and they fall behind on the orders.

I don't think the food is worth 8/10, more like 5-6/10; and the service was at par.
candyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #4181
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Took the GF out for Vday dinner at Hy's. Cheese toast that everyone raves about is okay but a bit soggy for my liking, I much prefer the grilled cheese at Burgoo Bistro.

Got shitty service and was seated in what I would consider the "asian/peasant" section, just judging from the 5 or 6 tables around me, either older gangster types or other asian couples out on a date. Most of their customers are older (50+) well dressed white folk.

Our server brought us Garlic Toast instead of cheese toast but owned up to it, seemed like he was having a bad day but I just googled it and apparently he's been working there for over 30 years, (older asian server) He didn't introduce any of the specials and didn't want any small talk, whereas I could overhear the female server in the other section actually earning her tip.

Had the bone-in rib steak (medium), GF had the filet mignon (medium rare), both were perfect IMO. Rib steak was juicy and the filet mignon had perfect texture and wasn't dry.

Also had the cheesecake to share for dessert it was pretty average.

Bill came to $80 each after tax + tip, Overall steaks were great but the experience was forgettable. I miss the old Morton's and I want to go back to the Metropolitan Grill in Seattle. I think I will give Gotham's a try next.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #4182
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Took the GF out for Vday dinner at Hy's. Cheese toast that everyone raves about is okay but a bit soggy for my liking, I much prefer the grilled cheese at Burgoo Bistro.

Got shitty service and was seated in what I would consider the "asian/peasant" section, just judging from the 5 or 6 tables around me, either older gangster types or other asian couples out on a date. Most of their customers are older (50+) well dressed white folk.

Our server brought us Garlic Toast instead of cheese toast but owned up to it, seemed like he was having a bad day but I just googled it and apparently he's been working there for over 30 years, (older asian server) He didn't introduce any of the specials and didn't want any small talk, whereas I could overhear the female server in the other section actually earning her tip.

Had the bone-in rib steak (medium), GF had the filet mignon (medium rare), both were perfect IMO. Rib steak was juicy and the filet mignon had perfect texture and wasn't dry.

Also had the cheesecake to share for dessert it was pretty average.

Bill came to $80 each after tax + tip, Overall steaks were great but the experience was forgettable. I miss the old Morton's and I want to go back to the Metropolitan Grill in Seattle. I think I will give Gotham's a try next.
Gotham is way worth it in my opinion. A steak can be split for 2 and just order the sides after.

50$ for a steak
6-8$ for each side (big sides)

Service is very nice, decor, quiet area.

Went with family, expensive, but very memorable.
ConCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #4183
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chatterbox View Post
You went on Valentines Day. Did you expect stellar 10/10 service?
I don't see why that is relevant and the place wasn't even busy especially his section (~4 tables of 2). I'm paying $60-80/person, I expect better service than white spot etc. So yes I expected the server to be friendly at the very least, I have bad days too but I try my hardest not to let that affect the quality of service I provide to my customers. If you don't care about whether people leave with a smile you're doing it wrong IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCho View Post
Gotham is way worth it in my opinion. A steak can be split for 2 and just order the sides after.

50$ for a steak
6-8$ for each side (big sides)

Service is very nice, decor, quiet area.

Went with family, expensive, but very memorable.
Definitely gonna give it a try next month.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #4184
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Meat and Bread
8/10
Overall, fantastic gourmet sandwiches, but I still fail to see the hype over it, especially when they charge $7+ tax for a grilled cheese.
Would go again if I'm in the area, but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to try it.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #4185
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Koto Sushi

Small sushi restaurant. I really liked the way they set up such a small place.
Price is alil bit more than Matsuyama but the quality is obviously better. The rolls were amazing and same with the other food. Only thing that was abit small n plain was the katsu don's. Aside from that staff was very friendly and warming. Really good experience and will definitely return.
food 9/10
service 10/10
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #4186
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Saboten @ aberdeen

$10.02 after tax for the Saboten set, two small pieces of pork they didn't bother to cut up, and 1 prawn, all over fried. Meat was dry and tasteless. Waited 15minutes, guess the hype is finally dying down, but they were still the most busy store in the food court.

Should of read the reviews in this thread before going there.

Most likely won't go back.
turbos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #4187
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Chicken world!

View post and pics here:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/62091...ml#post7801039

8/10

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #4188
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

Went to Rosa's Cucina Italiana in Port Moody on Clarke street.
Service was terrible and slow. I'm not sure how it can take any restaurant 1hour to make Spaghetti w/Italian sausages and Spaghetti Vongole. Waitress was impatient and not courteous at all, even though I was well mannered.

The sausages were overly salty even paired with the spaghetti noodles. The noodles were dry and undercooked.

The Spaghetti Vongole was not the same as in pictures. We had expected clams with wine, however it was minced clams with very minimal portions of clams, and Bechamel instead of white wine. Spaghetti noodles were equally undercooked and dry.

2/10.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #4189
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

The Whip
Steak and Prawns
Everything cooked perfectly
And they had Blue Buck on tap! Awwwww yeaaaah
8.5/10
Posted via RS Mobile
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #4190
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
I went to Hastings and Nanaimo today, in hopes of going to Seri Malaysia, only to find that they're closed!
According to this blog (The Last Lunch at Seri Malaysia: Jamal’s Rendang and Nasi Goreng Kampung | Wise Monkeys) it closed for good one week ago
Oh well, at least I've been there once Any suggestions for a good alternative?

I went across the street to Le Do Vietnamese across the street. Had the grilled pork chop on rice and spring rolls. Both were good; I liked the deep fried pork fat pieces (豬油渣) in chinese) sprinkled on top of the rice, of which I haven't had anywhere else. It's like eating mini croutons that taste like the skin from BBQ pork.

7.5/10

the pork fat is like this:

Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #4191
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
I went to Hastings and Nanaimo today, in hopes of going to Seri Malaysia, only to find that they're closed!
According to this blog (The Last Lunch at Seri Malaysia: Jamal’s Rendang and Nasi Goreng Kampung | Wise Monkeys) it closed for good one week ago
Tacofino will open up around May in that location.

DINER: The “Tacofino” Food Truck Will Open A New Restaurant On East Hastings In May : Scout Magazine
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #4192
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaemc View Post
Koto Sushi

Small sushi restaurant. I really liked the way they set up such a small place.
Price is alil bit more than Matsuyama but the quality is obviously better. The rolls were amazing and same with the other food. Only thing that was abit small n plain was the katsu don's. Aside from that staff was very friendly and warming. Really good experience and will definitely return.
food 9/10
service 10/10
that place is absolute garbage
fuhkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #4193
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
^
LOL! Quite the opposing opinion from one spectrum to the other.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #4194

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Alright mudder fuggers.

You bitches that keep on saying Nanaimo Sushi is the bomb, i love it when i'm high..etc

are fucking terrible people.

I went there and the food is absolute shit. I think it's worse that sushi garden and there is no way in hell their "awesome roll" is comparable to anything at sushiholic.

They make everything with waaaaay to much SHITTY rice @ sushi nanaimo. I'm not even comparing it to a gourmet place or anything the but the ratio is off the fucking scale and it tastes like doo-doo.

Conclusion?

Don't patronize this place and let it burn and rot in hell.

Oh yeah, if you think the pictures of the sushi pizza looks good, you've been deceived. It fucking sucks.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #4195
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
+1

Sushi Nanaimo is a dump. If I wanted to eat an inch of rice that's lightly deep fried and smothered with mayo and hot sauce, I could have easily done that at home. At $8.95, who the fuck are you trying to kid here?

Fuck this place to hell.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #4196
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Alright mudder fuggers.

You bitches that keep on saying Nanaimo Sushi is the bomb, i love it when i'm high..etc

are fucking terrible people.

I went there and the food is absolute shit. I think it's worse that sushi garden and there is no way in hell their "awesome roll" is comparable to anything at sushiholic.

They make everything with waaaaay to much SHITTY rice @ sushi nanaimo. I'm not even comparing it to a gourmet place or anything the but the ratio is off the fucking scale and it tastes like doo-doo.

Conclusion?

Don't patronize this place and let it burn and rot in hell.

Oh yeah, if you think the pictures of the sushi pizza looks good, you've been deceived. It fucking sucks.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66221...ml#post7780134
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #4197

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
STFU Tos'd.

I posted in both threads with amendments to the latter.

This is a preview of what is to come shortly. What you are witnessing is a chickenshoot out between LA Chicken, Churches, KFC, and Chickenworld.

Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #4198

damn want some f(ried) up chicken now
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #4199
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
^^ Holy shit, I felt my heart stop a bit.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #4200
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
Oh well, at least I've been there once Any suggestions for a good alternative?

I went across the street to Le Do Vietnamese across the street. Had the grilled pork chop on rice and spring rolls. Both were good; I liked the deep fried pork fat pieces (豬油渣) in chinese) sprinkled on top of the rice, of which I haven't had anywhere else. It's like eating mini croutons that taste like the skin from BBQ pork.

7.5/10

the pork fat is like this:

we took 2 crabs to seri on the day before they closed and had some chili crab. memorable meal.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote