REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #4676
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_2 View Post
Burger Haven

8/10

Had the Awesome Awesome Burger. I like how they patties are cooked on a flat top instead of grill. Four juicy, delicious patties was no problem for me Gonna try to join "Mile High"(8 patties) club next time.
Really lol? I would have figured people would like it grilled rather than flat top, since almost everywhere does it flattop.

I find grilled, gives it a good taste.
Advertisement
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #4677
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
flattop is better taste wise.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #4678
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Acme Food Co. in Downtown Nanaimo Harborside

I walked in and got greeted right away, they took my name down and called me up in less than 5 minutes.

Sat down ordered my sprite, my appy and my entree.

the sprite came right away, the appy came 30 minutes later, and then the entree came at least 60 minutes after that.

I had the Brocolli and Cheddar soup for my appy, it was really really good, wish i ordered the bowl instead of the cup. I would have had I known how long I was going to wait for my entree.

After a 60 minute wait.. i was patient, and I also patiently asked the server if it was coming out soon. Apparently the kitchen messed it up, she was very pissed off so I am guessing some drama ensued in the kitchen. After another 5 minutes I got my dish.

For my entree I had the Thai Coconut Rice Bowl with Tiger Prawns (other choice was chicken). Again the food was really good, if it wasn't for the wait I wouldn't have gulped it down rather slowly enjoyed it.

I had never waited so long for my food before I was slightly annoyed but at the same time I had no where to go afterwards, basically my annoyance was just due to the fact that I was hungry. I was looking around and people who came in after me received their food already. The servers were really nice, smiling all the time, refilled my sprite a couple times without me asking.

The restaurant took it upon themselves to comp the entire meal because of the wait time, I was grateful for that. Even though the meal was comped, it wasn't the server's fault that the food came out so late. I left a $5 tip, I just thought if I was in her position what would I be thinking.

Overall rating would be a 7/10

Food would be a 8/10

unfortunately due to the wait the Service would be a 4/10 unacceptable

Would go again to give them a second chance at service... pics below.

[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #4679
RS controls my life!

Ajisai

had toro sashimi, hamachi sashimi, wild sockeye salmon sashimi, dynamite roll, special unagi roll, and the black cod.

sashimi was very fresh, melt in your mouth toro. rolls were great, only criticism was that they sliced it way too thin . Cod was cooked perfectly; moist and flavorful.

All came to $84 even.

9/10 meal, always a solid place for Japanese food, kinda pricey though.
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #4680
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,506 Times in 4,310 Posts
EXP Restaurant + Bar
309 W. Pender in Vancouver

I only knew of this bar/restaurant because my friend did the electrical work at this place. This isn't your typical restaurant as it has a "video game" theme to it, kind of like Playdium (for those of you wold enough to remember.) It definitely has its audience for sure (I'm not part of the demographic) and they've been open since last Friday.

Seeing as what they call it their "beta" phase, we were invited to come down to try their food out. We had some chicken bits as an appetizer, some burgers, fries, salad and dessert. All in all, the food wasn't bad. Their head chef there took care of preparing the food. I didn't expect much but was pretty impressed. For what it's worth, we were comped dessert so I'm not trying to favour them.

Service was a little lacking but whatever. Had to forgive them seeing as it's their pre-grand opening so they need some time to work out the bugs. Don't be surprised if you see geeks, freaks, nerds and dweebs coming to a place like this. Complete niche market if you ask me and the place was packed with lineups.

Give it a shot if you're in the area and looking to experiment with something new. Otherwise, don't expect too much out of this place.

8/10

Edit: Photos added. Appetizer and pulled pork sliders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exp1.jpg (110.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg exp2.jpg (98.1 KB, 0 views)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 08-29-2012 at 05:13 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #4681
I am Hook'd on RS

Newish Viet place on Kingsway (Vancouver) across Mcdonalds. I forget the name but they open late (it says 24 hours but they close in the morning).

I really like this place, the food is really good and good prices! I always order lemon-grass-chicken on rice with a shrimp salad roll. Service is fast and pleasant too. Though now that it's become more popular the place can get really (too) busy at night time. 10/10
THORISHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #4682
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Truong thanh is old news buddy hahah best 24 hour pho place yeah, but I wouldn't go there during the day...
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #4683
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

Tairyou Ichiba 大漁市場
(604) 451-3331

Burnaby South
4300 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC V5H1Z9

Spoiler!

Last edited by iam_dan; 09-01-2012 at 12:05 PM.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #4684
Founder, RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORISHERE View Post
Newish Viet place on Kingsway (Vancouver) across Mcdonalds. I forget the name but they open late (it says 24 hours but they close in the morning).

I really like this place, the food is really good and good prices! I always order lemon-grass-chicken on rice with a shrimp salad roll. Service is fast and pleasant too. Though now that it's become more popular the place can get really (too) busy at night time. 10/10
Think you're referring to Gold Train. They opened up a new location, aside from the one in the London Drugs Plaza on kingsway and joyce (Gold Train Express Vietnamese Cuisine (Kingsway) | Vancouver). some people don't like it whether it be the trance music or the food itself, but I don't mind going there. pho pretty much tastes the same, I find.

But I was meaning to try that victoria one out.

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #4685
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jACE View Post
Think you're referring to Gold Train. They opened up a new location, aside from the one in the London Drugs Plaza on kingsway and joyce (Gold Train Express Vietnamese Cuisine (Kingsway) | Vancouver). some people don't like it whether it be the trance music or the food itself, but I don't mind going there. pho pretty much tastes the same, I find.

I know of Gold Train (not a fan), the place I'm referring to is not this place. The restaurant I'm referring to is across from McDonalds (near Victoria St. IRRC).

P.S. Which Viet restaurant doesn't have garish lights and decor?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #4686
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Tandoori Kona

9/10

Bloody amazing butter chicken. I order it medium (spiciness level) and it is just perfect along for 4 orders of naan bread.

There is so much butter chicken that I run out of naan before I run out of chicken/nector of the God's sauce.

Have to order it take out.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #4687
dlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jACE View Post

its called truong thanh..
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #4688

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORISHERE View Post
I know of Gold Train (not a fan), the place I'm referring to is not this place. The restaurant I'm referring to is across from McDonalds (near Victoria St. IRRC).

P.S. Which Viet restaurant doesn't have garish lights and decor?
there are two separate places for late night on the Victoria/Kingsway block; the Gold Train (relatively new location) is directly across from the TD Bank. Truong Thanh is directly across from the hotel/McDs
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #4689
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Tandoori Kona

9/10

Bloody amazing butter chicken. I order it medium (spiciness level) and it is just perfect along for 4 orders of naan bread.

There is so much butter chicken that I run out of naan before I run out of chicken/nector of the God's sauce.

Have to order it take out.
Take-out is the only way to go with this place. You get more!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #4690
Founder, RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
there are two separate places for late night on the Victoria/Kingsway block; the Gold Train (relatively new location) is directly across from the TD Bank. Truong Thanh is directly across from the hotel/McDs
Oh yes, my bad. Will try that one too sometime

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #4691
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPTL6o4 View Post
its called truong thanh..
correct! i went there a few times and i know exactly the same dish the op has eaten (lemon grass chicken with spring rolls) shits good with good price / serving.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #4692
dlo

Golden train opened one on the opposite side of victoria
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #4693
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Maguroguy sushi in S Surrey - fantastic, friendly service and delicious food. Spicy Tuna and endive salad with yam foam was amazing as was everything else we were served. The owner came and spoke to us, found out my daughter loves shrimp and sent over a free dish... the 2nd free dish he sent our way! Left a generous tip to show my appreciation, of course. Love to see owners and staff who just get it, ya know?

Food 9/10
Service 9.5/10

If you're in the area (corner of King George + 152nd), definitely worth checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #4694
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPTL6o4 View Post
Golden train opened one on the opposite side of victoria
Is it operated by the same owners as the one in the complex with a London Drugs on Kingsway?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #4695

Shima-Ya: Wow, brilliant. Their food is simple but very flavourful. Ordered their house special and a bunch of different nigiri sushi; salmon, scallop, toro, red tuna, tobiko, aji.. Very good, recommend it to people who eat sushi.

Food 9/10
Service 9/10 (Very, very nice people.. just a tad slow but understandable)

Campagnolo Roma: This place is amazing! I'm not too sure if this is Authentic Italian Cuisine but, their pizza is totally different.. recommend.

Food 9/10
Service 9/10
typ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #4696
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

glowbal grill in yaletown

got the 14 ounce striploin with mash potato and mushrooms, with poutine to start

9/10 for food. say in the patio and received good service as well 9/10
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #4697
RS Veteran

Chau Veggie Express
9/10

Spoiler!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #4698
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post

got the 14 ounce striploin with mash potato and mushrooms, with poutine to start

My experience there was alright. Food was 8/10. Service/atomosphere was 6/10, they lost my reservation, music overly loud and the wait between meals was rather long
Posted via RS Mobile
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #4699
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
+1 to truong thanh
i drop by often for a grilled chicken sub during lunch time
gooooooooooooooooood shit
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #4700

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post

Anybody ever get the Tomahawk there? They have it on special on Thursday for $80, apparently 4lbs, don't know how much of that is the bone itself.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote