REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #26
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
My guess is the double ones are for determining the direction of the counted vehicle.
Yeah that makes sense, but i have seen the doubles across only one direction as well.
Advertisement
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxeraddict View Post
I love the 4-way stops where it is one lane leading up to the stop sign but it is wide enough for two cars to squeeze in with one always making a right-turn out of turn..
The trick here is to put your car in the middle of the lane... so there's no longer enough room for someone to squeeze past.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #28
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
My guess is the double ones are for determining the direction of the counted vehicle.
You have to get up early to fool Presto!

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #29
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
The trick here is to put your car in the middle of the lane... so there's no longer enough room for someone to squeeze past.
I don't see a problem with people moving up beside you to make a right turn. I do that all the time and i see everyone do it.
I've never had any issues with this. So long as the right turner yields to oncoming left turns or cross traffic coming from the left (if they arrived first).

the point is, the right turner rarely affects other traffic. I think it's fine as it speeds up the flow of traffic.
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #30
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=mc˛ View Post
I do that all the time and i see everyone do it.
For sure that means it must be proper and legal to do it...

Old 01-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #31
I don't get it

No i never said it was legal. I'm not here to argue the law.
My previous post was in response to jlenko's post. I just don't see the need to purposely wait in the middle of the lane to block cars from coming up on your right. If someone is turning right they don't affect you going straight or turning left.

And if you are turning right yourself, you better be positioning your car on the right hand side of the lane.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #32
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
No i never said it was legal. I'm not here to argue the law.
OK, sorry, that's the way I took it when I read it.

Quote:
If someone is turning right they don't affect you going straight or turning left.
But it does, and I've already explained how it causes problems when people to it to me.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #33
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Has anyone seen that 4 way stop by best buy in coquitlam, it has separate right turn lanes but the arrows are worn off the pavement so people try to go straight from them. It is quite the show when 8 people arrive there at one time.
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #34
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Fraser and 41st Ave was a gong show the other day with the traffic lights out.

For example, first set of cars on Fraser St just cross 41st ave heading north bound, just as they finish crossing the intersection I slowly rolled onto the intersection to cross 41st Ave heading Westbound, but the 2nd set of cars behind the first set got impatient, started to follow closely to the first set of cars almost getting into a collision with me.

So would it be their fault for not yielding because I didn't finish crossing the intersection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The second set of cars would definitely be in the wrong following the cars in front of them. Although you might technically have to yield to them if they entered the intersection before you did (right or wrong, you're not allowed to ram people).

Last edited by DasHooch; 01-02-2010 at 05:07 PM.
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #36

Quote:
the rules for a 4-way stop are pretty clear cut I don't understand how you can possibly think everything resets after the first car goes.
Imagine a time before the internet was common. Imagine pulling up to multiple busy 4 ways everyday and seeing the east-west cars head straight across at the same time, then the north-south car cross straight across at the same time. Arguably the cars behind them hit the stop lines at the same time, so the guy turning left would always be yielding. This is what I got accustomed to. I think I actually justified it as making more sense because it is more efficient in moving cars through the intersection in most cases.

I guess even when cars are going north & south (both straight), they shouldn't leave the stop lines at the same time, but from what I see they do.

Multiple lanes governed by the same stop sign seem ridiculous to me, as many cars will just assume the order of whichever car got to that stop sign first and go at the same time. I guess it just allows cars turning right to bypass the line up - and that indicates that it isn't legal to do it at single lane roads.

Can anyone point out the law or bylaw that covers 4 way stops? I can't find it in the MVA other than some references to 'yield to the right'.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #37

Oh, and here's another question. If the vehicle that should have the right of way is yielding to pedestrians, should the vehicles clear of pedestrians wait or proceed?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #38
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Go through this every day since there's a 4 way stop by my house. If I hit the sign at the same time I usually just give the wave even if I have the right of way. With all the idiot drivers out there I don't want to risk getting hit by a dumb ass even if I'm 100% correct in the eyes of ICBC. Not worth the hassle and I can wait a few seconds for me to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
I'm the same way. If I get to a 4 way stop sign at the same time with someone else, I'll just wave them through. Makes things so much easier, for their lack of driving sense.

One time I was behind a car turning at a four way stop and he got their at the same time as the car to the left of him. He inched, the other guy inched forward. They kept breaking, inching forward, breaking inching forward until both were like half a car length from each other. I couldn't stop laughing!
So it must be you two who I see continually see trying to wave each other in while holding up traffic for 30 seconds.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #39
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasHooch View Post
Multiple lanes governed by the same stop sign seem ridiculous to me, as many cars will just assume the order of whichever car got to that stop sign first and go at the same time. I guess it just allows cars turning right to bypass the line up - and that indicates that it isn't legal to do it at single lane roads.

Can anyone point out the law or bylaw that covers 4 way stops? I can't find it in the MVA other than some references to 'yield to the right'.
Yeah multiple lanes can be confusing, but much like with most rules, you have the legal method, and you have the method normally used in practice. If car A going north stops first, and then car B also going north but in an adjacent lane comes after, he can pretty much go at the same time as Car A regardless of whether cross traffic has arrived before B (but after A). This speeds up flow and makes sense because if Car A is gonna go straight through, cross traffic can't go anyway so car B going does not cost anyone else any time. Of course you often get those assholes who follow closely behind the car in front in order to cross the intersection without having to stop.

Also, if Car A arrives before Car B, but car A as to wait for pedestrians to cross, then in most cases Car B will skip A's turn and go on ahead. This becomes more important if the pedestrian(s) crossing in front of car A are either slow, or have a lot of kids crossing at once, thereby taking a long time. Again, not saying anything about the law here, just basing it on observation.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

I almost never see people following the 4way stop rules! It's almost always changing - despite pileups on all 4 sides!! Moron drivers
Posted via RS Mobile
nipples is offline   Reply With Quote