REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-25-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Cars with REbuilt status

hey guys, how much are cars typically worth below the black book value (toyota.ca) when they have a rebuilt status.. is there a general margin of about 15~20% less... what do you guys think about buying used cars with rebuilt status...
Advertisement
jamabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
expect problems?
it depends what was rebuilt in the car,
sometimes the tires dont wear properlly,
sometimes there are safety defects,

personally, i would probably never buy a rebuilt car unless the job was well done,
not sure about pricing but typically a lot lower then what the current market price is for the same car

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #3

well.. personally i;m looking for a matrix.. but apparently there r a lot of matrix on craigslist with a rebuilt status which still post way above the black book value...so that;s why i;m asking should i be making any offers on those low mileage but rebuilt status cars...
Old 05-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #4
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
no matter how well a car is "rebuilt"... a rebuilt car will bring problems down the road... if the car had frame damage, the frame will never be factory like and will never be straight, thus tires will wear improperly, nuts and bolts will be missing here and there, components may not be put back properly in place... once a car is rebuilt, it will NEVER drive like factory... i'd stay away from cars with rebuilt title...

the only exception is i think cars from katrina that had water damaged... they come with rebuilt titles, they will be better than most rebuilt cars since it's just water damage, but i still stay away from them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #5
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
My 1968 Mustang has a rebuilt title... you can't tell, but then again it's so old ICBC wrote it off 15 years ago for the front bumper getting pranged and a little bit of damage to the front left under the bumper.

It really depends on the vehicle, in your case I wouldn't touch a rebuilt Matrix.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I feel sorry (well, actually, i don't) for the fool that bought a corolla from Yeo Autobody. Those guys fucked up my car as well. They had 2 corollas fused together and was told that this car was sold....Yeo sucks.
kumbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

I can vouch for the rebuilt status. My previous Mustang had a reuilt status, and the frame rails and engine bay where full of holes where they pulled the frame back out, engine mounts not mounted in the right place etc.
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
girlcrazy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumbo1 View Post
I feel sorry (well, actually, i don't) for the fool that bought a corolla from Yeo Autobody. Those guys fucked up my car as well. They had 2 corollas fused together and was told that this car was sold....Yeo sucks.
"WE SHALL CREATE ZE ULTIMATE COROLLA.... WITH TWO!"
hahah

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
jus b patient n find urself a car wif no rebuilt status
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

You can find a clean Impreza TS wagon for way cheaper than a Matrix, and it has AWD.. Is there a particular reason why you're only looking at a Matrix?

Hell, I'd take a Protege5 over a Matrix (mind you, they have extremely good resale value)

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #11

well...the only reason i;m considering matrix is that toyota seems to be very reliable in a long run and lower maintenance cost ....
Old 05-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
I am Hook'd on RS

simply, pure trash, never buy rebuilt
kaienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

^not always true...my car had the interior ripped out of it and was declared a rebuild..how hard is it to put new seats and carpet back in? not going to change the reliability at all.
integra07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamabee View Post
well...the only reason i;m considering matrix is that toyota seems to be very reliable in a long run and lower maintenance cost ....
true if the car was kept in mint condition, but if it's a rebuilt, it aint gonna be reliable and low main cost...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I noticed in the states, some cars are labeled as "theft recovery.." .. would you buy one?

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaienna View Post
simply, pure trash, never buy rebuilt
What a stupid comment. Theft Recovery are classified as rebuilds in some cases - nothing wrong with a car like that (assuming the thief didn't crash it). I've heard of cars being written off because some damn fool destroyed the engine - someone drops a new engine in, the car is mechanically sound, but a rebuild. Nothing wrong with that.

The key to buying a rebuild is finding out why is was written off, and how it was repaired. A minor accident that set off all the airbags can lead to it being written off, especially on luxury cars with high repair costs. But if the frame is straight, it still might be worth buying.

Just keep in mind, resale on a rebuild is very low. And dealers pretty much will not take rebuilds on trade.

Quote:
Originally posted by BilletPimp
and she wishes you'd realize that she broke up with you ;)
Demosthenes X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

lol.. i wouldn't risk it.. especially dealing with something more than 1grand! haha..
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #18
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Wouldn't risk it not really for its issues with reliability but moreso the PITA to resell it...
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Buying a rebuilt car can actually be a good deal, if you know what you are doing. Rebuilt cars can be significantly cheaper and still be just as good. You just have to find out what was repaired, and if it was fixed properly. However, you will have trouble trying to sell a rebuilt in the future, but if you are planning to drive it til the wheels fall off, then who cares.
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #20
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes X View Post
What a stupid comment. Theft Recovery are classified as rebuilds in some cases - nothing wrong with a car like that (assuming the thief didn't crash it). I've heard of cars being written off because some damn fool destroyed the engine - someone drops a new engine in, the car is mechanically sound, but a rebuild. Nothing wrong with that.

The key to buying a rebuild is finding out why is was written off, and how it was repaired. A minor accident that set off all the airbags can lead to it being written off, especially on luxury cars with high repair costs. But if the frame is straight, it still might be worth buying.

Just keep in mind, resale on a rebuild is very low. And dealers pretty much will not take rebuilds on trade.
exactly....
the key is to find out why the vehicle was written off....you'd be surprised how many cars get written off for the smallest reasons:
theft recovery, minor water damage, brand new car with barely any miles gets into a small accident, owner pushes ICBC for a write off because he/she wants a new car, blown motor, etc.....

Just don't be a fool and pay full price price for something with a rebuilt title, there is no arguing the fact that they're worth less in the market. And keep in mind they are harder to sell because of....well...just look at the mentality in this thread....so if you buy something with a rebuilt title, either keep it til it dies, or be prepared to take a large loss on it.

And be thorough on your inspection

Last edited by Eclypz; 05-26-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #21
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz View Post
exactly....
the key is to find out why the vehicle was written off....you'd be surprised how many cars get written off for the smallest reasons:
theft recovery, minor water damage, brand new car with barely any miles gets into a small accident, owner pushes ICBC for a write off because he/she wants a new car, blown motor, etc.....
What in it financially for ICBC in those cases? I saw a fully loaded 2006 Mazda 3, the seller is claiming it only had $3K worth of damage. But yet ICBC still wrote it off. The 2006 car maket value now should still be around $ 16K.
NX2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
no matter how well a car is "rebuilt"... a rebuilt car will bring problems down the road... if the car had frame damage, the frame will never be factory like and will never be straight, thus tires will wear improperly, nuts and bolts will be missing here and there, components may not be put back properly in place... once a car is rebuilt, it will NEVER drive like factory... i'd stay away from cars with rebuilt title...

the only exception is i think cars from katrina that had water damaged... they come with rebuilt titles, they will be better than most rebuilt cars since it's just water damage, but i still stay away from them...
alot of Katrina cars are deemed bio-hazards, shouldn't be rebuilt and on the road again.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes X View Post

This man knows what he is talking about.

I've had rebuilt cars BUT they have never had frame damage. I would not get a rebuild that has been in a major crash; however, if it was in a minor I would look into what has been done. Rebuilds IMO are worth buying if you actually want this car, selling rebuilds is a major fucking headache. As far as I know dealers will not take rebuilt cars at all.
PavelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX2K View Post
What in it financially for ICBC in those cases? I saw a fully loaded 2006 Mazda 3, the seller is claiming it only had $3K worth of damage. But yet ICBC still wrote it off. The 2006 car maket value now should still be around $ 16K.
The car will get a rebuilt title and the value of the car will fall quite a bit. Say The guy is playing off a loan he took for the car at MSRP + taxes, after the rebuilt title his car is now worth say 70% of its market value. So he is paying off a loan for a car at MSRP yet his car is now worth 70% of its market value. You obviously expect a car to lose its value but the car now loses much more value due to the rebuilt title.
PavelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

NEVER NEVER NEVER buy rebuilt
TRD Rs200 is offline   Reply With Quote