REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 08-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #1226
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
take your time, dont rush it. its a life time thing.

I rushed mine when I went back to asia, I knew NOTHING about ink. I was lucky the store I walked into had the artist that did my work, its not the worlds best but it sure opened my eyes to the levels of artists and quality of work compared to local artists.

now, I m not saying local artists arent good, but majority of them dont even know how to draw. they give you a book filled with whole bunch of dragons,kois,phoenix and they just trace it to the transfer paper and slaps it on you.
the only place i been to in vancouver that does this is floating world. There are alot of great artist locally that does amazing work just like there are a lot of crap flash art tattooist in japan
Advertisement
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #1227
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
the only place i been to in vancouver that does this is floating world. There are alot of great artist locally that does amazing work just like there are a lot of crap flash art tattooist in japan
I in all means did not come off offending local artists, so dont take it the wrong way.

Hes looking for a japanese traditional art piece so I was speaking on behalf of the artists that does japanese tattoo.
and honestly.. just go back a few pages and you will find your answers to which stores NOT to go to. lol
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #1228
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Well first off, finding an artist isn't a problem, I already sort of planned for getting work done by jesse from blackwater.

What I'm more interested in is if it's "right" or not to request the same style/level of detail in Shige's Hannya masks, or if an artist would be able to or even willing to physically emulate it to a tee.

this then I'd like to mix into a piece with of course the artists type of style. I just don't really like how most hannyas are drawn, shiges is on another level.

Can anyone help me with this?
whEEls7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #1229
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whEEls7 View Post
Well first off, finding an artist isn't a problem, I already sort of planned for getting work done by jesse from blackwater.

What I'm more interested in is if it's "right" or not to request the same style/level of detail in Shige's Hannya masks, or if an artist would be able to or even willing to physically emulate it to a tee.

this then I'd like to mix into a piece with of course the artists type of style. I just don't really like how most hannyas are drawn, shiges is on another level.

if your going to jesse then you should be in good hands, His work is more of a neo japanese. but I m pretty sure you would be happy with it.
a member here named autozam has his whole back and left arm done by jesse, pretty decent work.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #1230
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whEEls7 View Post

It all depends on the artists. Although you are the customer and you would figure they need to comply with your request it isn't always the case. Typically they don't mind following what you want but they will often make a couple comments here and there saying they don't think that's a good idea. You have to remember too that whatever they decide to do, they are also putting their reputation on the line as well so if it's not something they approve they may not want to really do it. Your tattoo will be acting as an advertisement basically for that artist and if people see it and think it's bunk, that's lost business for the artists. I would say it can be a little give and take at times depending on what your demands are. Jesse's a cool guy, I just finished working with him and he was easy to deal with. Best case is to just go talk to the artists, nobody on this forum can really answer on their behalf.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
if your going to jesse then you should be in good hands, His work is more of a neo japanese. but I m pretty sure you would be happy with it.
a member here named autozam has his whole back and left arm done by jesse, pretty decent work.
Yes I trust his work, but am not sure if its proper etiquette to ask him to basically rip shiges hannya mask and put it onto something of his own
Old 08-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
It all depends on the artists. Although you are the customer and you would figure they need to comply with your request it isn't always the case. Typically they don't mind following what you want but they will often make a couple comments here and there saying they don't think that's a good idea. You have to remember too that whatever they decide to do, they are also putting their reputation on the line as well so if it's not something they approve they may not want to really do it. Your tattoo will be acting as an advertisement basically for that artist and if people see it and think it's bunk, that's lost business for the artists. I would say it can be a little give and take at times depending on what your demands are. Jesse's a cool guy, I just finished working with him and he was easy to deal with. Best case is to just go talk to the artists, nobody on this forum can really answer on their behalf.
Good answer, thanks. I'll ask him.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #1233

Don't think it would be any problem. But do keep in mind Shige's style and Jesse's style is very very very different so Jesse's interpretation of Shige's mask might not be what you have in mind
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #1234
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
holy shit.

ÅåÀb®a±Ú
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #1235
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid View Post
holy shit.

ÅåÀb®a±Ú
What?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #1236
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
^ sorry link doesnt direct straight to his gallery, but heres his fb page Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

incredible detail in a lot of his pieces

Last edited by ShanghaiKid; 08-05-2012 at 05:00 AM.
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #1237

Doesn't do anything for me, but pretty cool nonetheless.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #1238
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Tattoo ideas for me:

*For those who don't know what it means:
"The Japanese word yume means "dream; dreams" as in both the dreams one has when asleep and the dreams and aspirations one has. This design is a constant reminder of the importance of our dreams."

Any thoughts?

Last edited by StutteR_; 08-05-2012 at 05:27 PM.
StutteR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid View Post
^ sorry link doesnt direct straight to his gallery, but heres his fb page Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

incredible detail in a lot of his pieces
ultra fine detail like that probably isn't a good idea in terms of longetivity. I have a dragon that has tiny detail like that, it look good at first when i first got it, now 6 years down the road the detail has spread and blur and frankly it likes like shit imo now.... imo japanese/asian work should be bold and readable from afar.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #1240
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Is tattooing a guan yu bad luck? and why are kois swimming down bad luck? are they just stupid superstitions?
brad778 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #1241
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad778 View Post
Is tattooing a guan yu bad luck? and why are kois swimming down bad luck? are they just stupid superstitions?
You could argue any superstition is stupid. Superstitions are just that, believe what you want and do what you want.

Threezero - Likewise, I have a couple Horiyoshi pieces (Not done by him just taken from his sketch books). It was a piece from the 108 Heroes of The Suikoden by Horiyoshi III book of a guy with nunchucks and who has a turtle tattoo on his back. Fine detail and it looked rad at first but now it doesn't seem to look as good . Luckily it's on my thigh so not many people see it.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"

Last edited by winson604; 08-06-2012 at 09:41 PM.
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #1242
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
sent gakkin an email,
and he said hes gonna be here in oct til mid nov.
and he'll be working out of strictly tattoo in nov so ill be giving horiryu a visit real soon.
thanks skinny
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #1243
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
got booked in for my chest at tattoo union.
first day available was my birthday lol.
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #1244

Have an idea for a black and gray chest piece but can't decide between jesse young or pat from port side =\

I like pat's style but I dig jesse's smooth shadings.... decisions decisions
Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #1245

^^ definitely Jesse, IMO
Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #1246

great just try emailing jesse and the email bounced =\ anyone know any other ways to contact him?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #1247
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I think the best way to contact Jesse is to just show up and talk to him... and pray that it aint that busy... or you can just go in..

or you can look him up on facebook.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #1248

jesse young works out of Sechelt, not really feasible to make a 3 hr drive just to see if he is in...

any case i email his shop hopefully I will get a reply
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #1249
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thoughts on Cohen Floch? Considering him for a lower leg sleeve > Tattoo Artist Vancouver - Cohen Floch
3xplo5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #1250
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xplo5ive View Post
Thoughts on Cohen Floch? Considering him for a lower leg sleeve > Tattoo Artist Vancouver - Cohen Floch
I heard hes pretty good as well, saw some back pieces hes done. They were all nicely done
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote