REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #1326
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
-vancityguy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,106
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine50 View Post
Between Jeff tam and mark from fun house and strictly, which one would be the better choice personally I'm thinking I'll be seeing Jeff next but for the guys that know more about tattoos than myself...
for traditional japanese strictly for sure. jeff and mark would be non traditional and between those two i would lean towards jeff.

i had my mind set on going to strictly for my next piece, really like horiryu's work but realized traditional japanese looks amazing in color but the black and grey stuff just did not have the same effect(my opinion) and since all my current work is non-traditional it would be pointless for me to go there. instead i am seeing jesse at blackwater who does amazing black and grey, non-traditional.
Advertisement
-vancityguy- is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #1327
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,683
Thanked 683 Times in 268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine50 View Post
Between Jeff tam and mark from fun house and strictly, which one would be the better choice personally I'm thinking I'll be seeing Jeff next but for the guys that know more about tattoos than myself...
jeff tam isnt from strictly... jeff tam is from monkey king
Recon604 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #1328
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
azndesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: BC!
Posts: 660
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I am meeting with James Acrow this week for my consult. Thanks for the information guys.
azndesign is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #1329
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 41,249
Thanked 17,037 Times in 5,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndesign View Post
I am meeting with James Acrow this week for my consult. Thanks for the information guys.
R U SRS?
SkinnyPupp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #1330
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
azndesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: BC!
Posts: 660
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
R U SRS?
Is that bad?

I emailed him last week, he responded two days later or so?
azndesign is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #1331
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 41,249
Thanked 17,037 Times in 5,124 Posts
No it's not bad haha.. dude is one of the best in town. What I'm trying to get at is, what are you planning to get?
SkinnyPupp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #1332
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,683
Thanked 683 Times in 268 Posts
hows tat bad LOL
Recon604 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #1333
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
azndesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: BC!
Posts: 660
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
So is he the best?
azndesign is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #1334
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 41,249
Thanked 17,037 Times in 5,124 Posts
His work speaks for itself
SkinnyPupp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #1335
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
azndesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: BC!
Posts: 660
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
loving the horse. i think that will be a good look for me too!
azndesign is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #1336
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Greenstoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,645
Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Its like a 40 minute drive for fucks sake. Its like driving from the south end of van to downtown. This shit will last a while, so get something you like. Just got my sketch emailed to me from Justin ormiston to start on the 26th.
Will look a bit different in black and grey of course, but its a good idea of it. So excited.
this sketch is so nice
Greenstoner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #1337
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Infiniti
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
his (james acrow) work is very clean. I would rather have him do my Japanese traditional work over jeffs or jesses anyday.

Cleanness is something very rare. many times you see a guy with traditional ink PACKED with whole bunch of animals etc. and it just looks messy.

Last edited by xilley; 09-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.
xilley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #1338
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
-vancityguy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,106
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
his (james acrow) work is very clean. I would rather have him do my Japanese traditional work over jeffs or jesses anyday.

Cleanness is something very rare. many times you see a guy with traditional ink PACKED with whole bunch of animals etc. and it just looks messy.
jeff and jesse aren't traditional... i don't even think james is traditional, wouldn't he fall into the non-traditional category also?

on a side note i emailed james a week ago or so also, in regard to portrait work and he never even got back to me. that is one thing about tattoo artists that pisses me off, they are flaky as fuck. on most of their websites etc.. it says to email em and most don't even reply back.
-vancityguy- is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #1339
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Infiniti
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -vancityguy- View Post
jeff and jesse aren't traditional... i don't even think james is traditional, wouldn't he fall into the non-traditional category also?

on a side note i emailed james a week ago or so also, in regard to portrait work and he never even got back to me. that is one thing about tattoo artists that pisses me off, they are flaky as fuck. on most of their websites etc.. it says to email em and most don't even reply back.
tradtional japanese art work is what I like, I was referring to myself.

I never said jeff, jesse or james are traditional..

and with the workload they have, cut them a slack. email again and see what happens. maybe your email didnt sound convincing/serious enough?
since azndesign got a response, I m sure he does check his inbox.
xilley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #1340
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,530
Thanked 16,680 Times in 3,593 Posts
Most of them say if they don't plan on doing your piece, they won't respond. Otherwise they'd end up emailing like 300 people a day telling them they didn't want to do their "live love laugh" tattoos. Not trying to say your tattoo idea is that btw haha.
westopher is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #1341
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC
Posts: 1,531
Thanked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
jeff tam isnt from strictly... jeff tam is from monkey king
Yes I know I went to see him already, worded it kind of weird my bad. But I've heard a lot about the whole traditional vs non anyone have a picture of like a dragon or something explaining the differences or something noticeable? Like I've seen some work obviously from looking at pictures and all I really notice myself is sometimes there tattoos look so faded in terms of black and grey but I'm assuming that's not it. Is it in the detail or they way they design things such as flowers or koi scales?
Alpine50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #1342
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
-vancityguy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,106
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
tradtional japanese art work is what I like, I was referring to myself.

I never said jeff, jesse or james are traditional..

and with the workload they have, cut them a slack. email again and see what happens. maybe your email didnt sound convincing/serious enough?
since azndesign got a response, I m sure he does check his inbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Most of them say if they don't plan on doing your piece, they won't respond. Otherwise they'd end up emailing like 300 people a day telling them they didn't want to do their "live love laugh" tattoos. Not trying to say your tattoo idea is that btw haha.
i was pretty straight up and direct, i specified i wanted some portrait work done, where i wanted it and even included a picture of the area so he would have as much information as possible to determine size etc.. i get workload and all but just think if someone takes the time to contact them(as per their site asks) a response would be appreciated.
-vancityguy- is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #1343
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
-vancityguy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,106
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine50 View Post
Yes I know I went to see him already, worded it kind of weird my bad. But I've heard a lot about the whole traditional vs non anyone have a picture of like a dragon or something explaining the differences or something noticeable? Like I've seen some work obviously from looking at pictures and all I really notice myself is sometimes there tattoos look so faded in terms of black and grey but I'm assuming that's not it. Is it in the detail or they way they design things such as flowers or koi scales?
placement, style, certain things go with some but not others, flowers from different seasons can't be in the same tattoo or body side. nothing to do with ink.

it just depends on what u like style wise. none of my tattoos are traditional, had i been starting from scratch right now it might be a different story.

look at the tattoos on strictly tattoo's website than look at jeff tam's work or even jesse and you can compare traditional to non.
-vancityguy- is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #1344
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
threezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,556
Thanked 847 Times in 377 Posts
in term of color vs black and bray, keep in mind that no matter ho bright a color tattoo looks right after it done, the colour will mute a little as it heals and it will continue to fade as you expose it to sunlight. black and gray is the same but it will general last longer if your in the sun all the time compare to colour work.


also are you just googling picture off of the internet or are u comparing colour and black and gray work from the same artist? obviously you can't compare apple to oranges
__________________
14 Scion FRS
91 Honda Civic EF9
threezero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #1345
Lomac owned my ass at least once
 
winson604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vansterdam
Posts: 6,493
Thanked 891 Times in 446 Posts
Prior to getting a sleeve a few months back from Jesse I was going to get a back piece from Jeff but I suppose it didn't appeal to him. I emailed him 3 times over 3 months and even attempted to go to his store twice but it was closed. Even tried calling a bunch of other times with nobody answering so I gave up and went to Jesse. I still like Jeff's work but after such a horrible experience in even trying to make contact with the store I've moved on.
__________________
"back at the line to Babych.... LONG SHOT....Potvin had trouble with it....ADAM SHOOTS SCORES!!!!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #1346
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Infiniti
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Prior to getting a sleeve a few months back from Jesse I was going to get a back piece from Jeff but I suppose it didn't appeal to him. I emailed him 3 times over 3 months and even attempted to go to his store twice but it was closed. Even tried calling a bunch of other times with nobody answering so I gave up and went to Jesse. I still like Jeff's work but after such a horrible experience in even trying to make contact with the store I've moved on.
really?
I called once before and right away they told me to go in the shop and show them what I want. it was as if they were really interested in working on bigger projects, as I wanted my back done.

but I guess thats a year ago.
xilley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #1347
dlo
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
dlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: vancouver
Posts: 5,985
Thanked 7,875 Times in 1,408 Posts
its always easier to call/see em in person, half of these guys dont even post up their most recent work to advertise for themselves, so what do you think about em emailing you back? I know jesse from blackwater is horrible with the interwebs/emails, he was willing to pay me 30 mins of tattoo time to do it for him lol
__________________
Quote:
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #1348
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
-vancityguy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,106
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPTL6o4 View Post
its always easier to call/see em in person, half of these guys dont even post up their most recent work to advertise for themselves, so what do you think about em emailing you back? I know jesse from blackwater is horrible with the interwebs/emails, he was willing to pay me 30 mins of tattoo time to do it for him lol
true. i messaged jesse twice on fb but no reply, i called and got him on the phone right away, was easy from there.

the thing is some artists ask to be emailed only and don't even leave a # so for them not to reply is lame but eh... some artists have a inflated ego i guess, in the end you suck it up to get the work u want done.

on the flip side cohen floch was super quick to reply to emails as well as strictly tattoo.
-vancityguy- is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #1349
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 118
Thanked 113 Times in 22 Posts
Jeff Tam does a lot of conventions all over the world, thats most likely why he is sometimes hard to get a hold of.
whatitdew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #1350
I STILL don't get it
 
phantom x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver
Posts: 475
Thanked 401 Times in 117 Posts
2.5 hours severed panther head, arrows, blood.
this is to match my other shin with the severed tiger head.



__________________
only dead fish swim with the stream.

Last edited by phantom x; 09-10-2012 at 08:23 AM.
phantom x is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net