REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #201
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
does the minoxidil even work? u guys use it?

only thing ive ever used it the proscar

Old 01-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #202
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
does the minoxidil even work? u guys use it?

only thing ive ever used it the proscar
lol.. i'm waiting for someone to try it and post up results.

you wanna be the guinea pig?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #203
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
rogaine/minoxidil has been around for a while now.. I am sure many men use it, if not for some regrowth, but to keep the hair they have. the key is to use it before you go bald.. once you notice thinning, i would get on it.. minoxidil works for some.. but most people tkae it who have been completely bald for years, hoping that it is a miracle drug

btw it is so cheap.. you can get it online for 5-10 bucks for a month supply, why wouldnt you just get it? Everyone wants to see others results... It takes abotu 3-4 months to see results.. by then you would have lost that much more hair..
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #204
Not a mod

rogaine/minoxidil is popular amongst knock-offs online. Be aware before buying online.
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #205
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrusher View Post
rogaine/minoxidil is popular amongst knock-offs online. Be aware before buying online.
knock offs as in fake minoxidil? minox is minox whether it is kirkland or london drugs no name brands... but if it is a no name from china brand filled with water, then yes, there could be places out there that are like that.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #206
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I can't believe no one posted this yet but the hair loss gene comes from your mother, not from your father. It doesn't matter if your father is bald or your father's father is bald, it will not affect the potential of your hair loss. It is our mothers who carry the genes that indicates your possibility of hair loss.

chromosome: Simply put, the genes that determines one's traits.

First of all we must understand that a person is composed of a pairing of sex chromosomes. Our respective fathers have the chromosomes x and y, which indicate male, while in comparison, our mothers have two chromosome x's, indicating female. These chromosomes are important to know, as the hereditary hair loss gene resides from the x chromosome.

father (male) = [x,y]
mother (female) = [x,x]

When one is procreated, one chromosome from the father and the mother are required. Assuming the hypothetical baby is a male, he will need a designated "y" chromosome, only available from his father and to complete the set we must now acquire an "x" chromosome from the mother. However, there are two available which will complicate the process of identifying if the baby will turn bald or not.

How do we indicate if it the baby has the potential to bald, based on genetics?
The balding gene is a recessive trait located on our x chromosome, meaning that it needs to be paired with another x chromosome with the same balding trait for it to activate. However, if there is no available x chromosome to be paired with, it is immediately activated. This is why males are more likely to be bald than females. Females need two x chromosomes to turn bald as opposed to the male's one (as it needs to pair with a y chromosome). In retrospect, if your father is bald, this signifies that his only x chromosome has the trait pertaining to hair loss. If your father isn't bald, it means he has a dominant x chromosome.

We have just established that the father does not pass down the hereditary balding gene and this is why it is vital to look at the family tree of our mothers. Since the "y" chromosome was obtained from our father, we must now complete the set with a "x" chromosome. Since there are two "x" chromosomes available, we must look at the family tree from the mother's side to guess if one will turn bald or not.

legend:
x-r = recessive balding x gene
x-d = dominant x gene (no balding)

scenario 1:
father with luscious long hair[x,y] x doesn't matter here
bald mother[x-r, x-r]

Any male baby the couple will procreate will result in a bald baby as any x chromosome taken from the mother will result in the baby obtaining the balding gene.

scenario 2:
mother with hair [x-r, x-d] or [x-d, x-d]

Since the x chromosome is not activated we do not know if the mother has the recessive hair loss gene. There is a possibility that the mother has the recessive x chromosome but we do not know for sure. This baby can end up bald or with hair if the mother has the recessive x chromosome paired with a dominant x chromosome. To figure out if the mother is indeed [x-r, x-d] or [x-d, x-d] the family tree of the mother now has to be looked.

baby's mother [x-d, unknown x]

To figure out the other x, we must look at the father and mother of the baby's mother. Since females require TWO x chromosomes, one x chromosome from the mother and the father are required.

mother's father [y,x]
mother's mother [x,x]

Since we know that one of the gene is dominant (as indicated by the mother having hair) we must indicate if her mother or father has a balding gene or not. Since the father only has one x chromosome, we will know for sure if it is a recessive x chromosome or dominant x chromosome by his head. If he has hair, he has the dominant x chromosome and alternatively, if he is bald, he has the recessive x chromosome.

If the father is balding, we will know for sure that the baby's mother has a recessive x chromosome from her father. Since the baby's mother is not balding in this case, we know that a dominant x chromosome is required to deactivate the x chromosome, so we can safely assume the mother's mother gave a dominant x chromosome to the baby's mother.

mother's father [y, x-r]
mother's mother [unknown x, x-d]

..> baby's mother [x-d, x-r] + baby's father [y, unneeded x]

The baby's mother will have a chromosome pairing of x-r (from the father) and x-d (from the mother). Ta-da!

But.. if the father has a dominant x chromosome, we will not know if the x chromosome taken from the mother's mother is a recessive x chromosome or dominant x chromosome as the mother's mother can have either a pairing of [x-r, x-d] or [x-d, x-d]. This continues a tedious process in which we must now analyze the hair analysis of the mother's mother's parents (baby's great grandparents).

mother's father [x-d, y]
mother's mother if she has hair [x-r, x-d] or [x-d, x-d]

TL;DR
Hair loss is not caused solely on genetics but a number of contributing factors, including environment, health related issues, etc. Through science, we can analyze if one will turn bald due to the genetic make up of one's mother.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #207
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodstar View Post
I can't believe no one posted this yet but the hair loss gene comes from your mother, not from your father. It doesn't matter if your father is bald or your father's father is bald, it will not affect the potential of your hair loss. It is our mothers who carry the genes that indicates your possibility of hair loss.

chromosome: Simply put, the genes that determines one's traits.

First of all we must understand that a person is composed of a pairing of sex chromosomes. Our respective fathers have the chromosomes x and y, which indicate male, while in comparison, our mothers have two chromosome x's, indicating female. These chromosomes are important to know, as the hereditary hair loss gene resides from the x chromosome.

father (male) = [x,y]
mother (female) = [x,x]

When one is procreated, one chromosome from the father and the mother are required. Assuming the hypothetical baby is a male, he will need a designated "y" chromosome, only available from his father and to complete the set we must now acquire an "x" chromosome from the mother. However, there are two available which will complicate the process of identifying if the baby will turn bald or not.

How do we indicate if it the baby has the potential to bald, based on genetics?
The balding gene is a recessive trait located on our x chromosome, meaning that it needs to be paired with another x chromosome with the same balding trait for it to activate. However, if there is no available x chromosome to be paired with, it is immediately activated. This is why males are more likely to be bald than females. Females need two x chromosomes to turn bald as opposed to the male's one (as it needs to pair with a y chromosome). In retrospect, if your father is bald, this signifies that his only x chromosome has the trait pertaining to hair loss. If your father isn't bald, it means he has a dominant x chromosome.

We have just established that the father does not pass down the hereditary balding gene and this is why it is vital to look at the family tree of our mothers. Since the "y" chromosome was obtained from our father, we must now complete the set with a "x" chromosome. Since there are two "x" chromosomes available, we must look at the family tree from the mother's side to guess if one will turn bald or not.

legend:
x-r = recessive balding x gene
x-d = dominant x gene (no balding)

scenario 1:
bald mother[x-r, x-r]

Any male baby the couple will procreate will result in a bald baby as any x chromosome taken from the mother will result in the baby obtaining the balding gene.

scenario 2:
mother with hair [x-r, x-d] or [x-d, x-d]

Since the x chromosome is not activated we do not know if the mother has the recessive hair loss gene. There is a possibility that the mother has the recessive x chromosome but we do not know for sure. This baby can end up bald or with hair if the mother has the recessive x chromosome paired with a dominant x chromosome. To figure out if the mother is indeed [x-r, x-d] or [x-d, x-d] the family tree of the mother now has to be looked.

baby's mother [x-d, unknown x]

To figure out the other x, we must look at the father and mother of the baby's mother. Since females require TWO x chromosomes, one x chromosome from the mother and the father are required.

mother's father [y,x]
mother's mother [x,x]

Since we know that one of the gene is dominant (as indicated by the mother having hair) we must indicate if her mother or father has a balding gene or not. Since the father only has one x chromosome, we will know for sure if it is a recessive x chromosome or dominant x chromosome by his head. If he has hair, he has the dominant x chromosome and alternatively, if he is bald, he has the recessive x chromosome.

If the father is balding, we will know for sure that the baby's mother has a recessive x chromosome from her father. Since the baby's mother is not balding in this case, we know that a dominant x chromosome is required to deactivate the x chromosome, so we can safely assume the mother's mother gave a dominant x chromosome to the baby's mother.

mother's father [y, x-r]
mother's mother [unknown x, x-d]

..> baby's mother [x-d, x-r] + baby's father [y, unneeded x]

The baby's mother will have a chromosome pairing of x-r (from the father) and x-d (from the mother). Ta-da!

But.. if the father has a dominant x chromosome, we will not know if the x chromosome taken from the mother's mother is a recessive x chromosome or dominant x chromosome as the mother's mother can have either a pairing of [x-r, x-d] or [x-d, x-d]. This continues a tedious process in which we must now analyze the hair analysis of the mother's mother's parents (baby's great grandparents).

mother's father [x-d, y]
mother's mother if she has hair [x-r, x-d] or [x-d, x-d]

TL;DR
Hair loss is not caused solely on genetics but a number of contributing factors, including environment, health related issues, etc. Through science, we can analyze if one will turn bald due to the genetic make up of one's mother.
welcome to last ... decade? it has been proven that it comes from both, at which percentage, no one really knows. but it is a myth that you ONLY get it from your mothers side.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-loss/men/causes/
Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
welcome to last ... decade? it has been proven that it comes from both, at which percentage, no one really knows. but it is a myth that you ONLY get it from your mothers side.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-loss/men/causes/
You didn't really need to quote my entire post to give me a snobby response but I'll take it that I don't know everything about hair. I would have thought there was more dispute to hair loss and I guess there is. Thanks for the heads up.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #209
Banned (ABWS)

honestly it can be genetic,....my bf had that when i met him and it keeps getting worse little at a time. I think that in the next few years we'll get him to do the bosley thing....its a bit expensive but the results look awesome!!!
latina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:05 AM   #210
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latina View Post
honestly it can be genetic,....my bf had that when i met him and it keeps getting worse little at a time. I think that in the next few years we'll get him to do the bosley thing....its a bit expensive but the results look awesome!!!
maybe because it was you that made him bald.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #211

99% of male hair loss is genetic. It ocurrs because of receptor cells in the hair that is susceptible to DHT (dihydrotestosterone). It is also the source for BPH (benign prostate hyperplasia or enlarged prostate) Proscar came out in 1994 to combat BPH and hair growth was a side effect. Fast forward to 1996 and Proscar was repackaged in a lower dose wtih a new name and you have Propecia.

If you have hair loss, use Propecia and/or Rogaine. Those are the only two that work. Don't use lasers, don't bother with oils or shampoos. They don't stop true male pattern hairloss.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #212
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
99% of male hair loss is genetic. It ocurrs because of receptor cells in the hair that is susceptible to DHT (dihydrotestosterone). It is also the source for BPH (benign prostate hyperplasia or enlarged prostate) Proscar came out in 1994 to combat BPH and hair growth was a side effect. Fast forward to 1996 and Proscar was repackaged in a lower dose wtih a new name and you have Propecia.

If you have hair loss, use Propecia and/or Rogaine. Those are the only two that work. Don't use lasers, don't bother with oils or shampoos. They don't stop true male pattern hairloss.
lasers work almost the same way as rogaine does in that it stimulates the follicle and increases blood flow to those areas... i would stay away from propecia as the side effects are very bad.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #213

Lasers do not work. Alsmost all of them use diodes that operate in the 550nm wavelength. They have the same power requirements, put out the same light and are the same classification as laser pointers you can buy at Office Depot. The only time anyone sees a result is when they use the shampoo or lotion that comes with the treatment (or is bought separately as a requirement) and it always has minoxidil, the active ingredient in Rogaine.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #214
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

where can i buy regan? shampoo locally?

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #215
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Use proscar. The generic form of propecia/rogaine. Cheaper and does exactly same thing. Same medicine. Tablet form. ask your doctor. Anything else is snake oil in a pretty box.

Why buy monster cable when monoprice is just as good for less.

Lasers...some people will believe anything. Ill come smack your forehead a few time I guarantee your blood flow will increase and you will still be bald.
Posted via RS Mobile
Psykopathik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #216
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Proscar (finasteride) is the generic form of propecia, Rogaine is compelely different it's minoxidil.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #217
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Anyone considered or did hair transplant? There seems to be a number of sites that pops up:
Hair Transplants | Hair Transplant Surgery | Hasson & Wong
Hair Transplant Center Vancouver, BC - Look Your Best

No idea what is reputable. Price looks different too (hasson is 10-15k, htv is 7-9k)
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #218
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Hasson and Wong are considered amongst the best in the world from what I've read which is why they are so much
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #219
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I called and spoke to Hair transplant center. They seem pretty awesome. Part of Skin center near vgh. Affiliated with UBC. Hasson + Wong using their technique. 30% cheaper.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #220
RS Veteran

anyone try or heard of this? Topical Spironolactone 5% - Discount Combos - Cheap!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #221
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Been using rogaine now for almost 2 months, maybe 2 - 4 times a week. I can see significant improvements. There are some weird side effects though, but it's nothing to worry about.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #222
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Been using rogaine now for almost 2 months, maybe 2 - 4 times a week. I can see significant improvements. There are some weird side effects though, but it's nothing to worry about.
why are you only using it 2-4 times a week
Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #223
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
why are you only using it 2-4 times a week
It says use it twice a day but I forget to sometimes.
Posted via RS Mobile
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #224
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Hasson and Wong are world class
drunkhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #225
RS controls my life!

anyone actually gone through hair transplant?
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote