REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

click here if you've been to Hawaii (oahu)

heading to hawaii from july 31 to aug 11th for my sisters' wedding. staying right by waikiki beach. anyone have recommendations/tips and just random stuff they wanna suggest?

is it worth going to the other islands? and if so anyone(s) in particular?

thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Go take a hike up to diamondhead...the view of the island from the top is amazing...

waikiki is so commercialized...go shopping...go to the mall ala mona ...

and just go to as many beaches as you can haha...be sure to go surfing ...

OH YEAH, hanauma bay...go snorkeling there...swim with the turtles and rainbow fish...the fishes are as big as your thighs...hanauma bay is CRAZY nice
4PPLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #3

you have to ride an outrigger. the speed of those things will have u amazed...
it was the most fun that i had in hawaii... u can go shopping anywhere in the world, but riding an outrigger is only in hawaii, and seriously awesome. once you catch a wave.... just try it. you won't be disappointed. you have my word

Women have cleaner minds then men. They change it more often.

Last edited by Mister2SC; 07-18-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Mister2SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

are you driving around or are you gonna take the bus?

i recall there was a bus that goes around the island (literally) for like 2 bucks a person (its about 2x2 hour rides if you dont get off).. it takes you to turtle bay and back.. downside is that you'll also see the very american side of hawaii

but agree w/ poster above.. hanauma bay was fucking nice.. just gotta go there early (like 8am) because that place gets packed fast (we showed up at 10 to see a full beach) and you have to pay to get in so we just snapped a few pictures outside

PS. lots and lots of jap people
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

If you're just cruising around, remember to bring some drinks with you, because stuff right outside your hotel will be like $4 waters and stuff.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PPLE View Post
OH YEAH, hanauma bay...go snorkeling there...swim with the turtles and rainbow fish...the fishes are as big as your thighs...hanauma bay is CRAZY nice

Hanauma Bay WAS crazy nice. It IS still very nice but no where near what it WAS twenty years ago. I remember the density of fish swimming around was so high that I could not see my brother's leg under water even he was standing 2 meters away. Now I estimate the amount of fish inside is no even 10% of what it was. It was a scene of a life time 20 years ago. Still remember there was a shark, about a meter long, swim right beside me. Scare the shit out of me (I was 13 yrs old back then and saw the movie JAW before the trip)

I suspect the amount of fish live inside the bay drop after the government resitrcted visitors to feed the fish. I was very disappointed when I visited it two years ago.

Last edited by v67gsr; 07-18-2008 at 10:03 AM.
v67gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Retired moderator

^If you were to go to Hanauma Bay, you better be there before the sun rises. Tour groups and early birds will be there bright and early and you'll never get in if you dont go early

ROAD SIDE SHRIMP. $11/plate sooooo good.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
degenerate extraordinaire

+1 for bringing your own water and stuff ... they jack the prices up high.

waikiki beach, enjoy the view hahah
lots of places to walk around, I guess... we were only walking around the area for a few hours ... just because we had to kill some time between getting off our cruise and our flight. It will be VERY hot there, at least it was for us, so definately remember to keep hydrated

As for other places to go ... definately hit up some volcanos!
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
check out the ABC stores
theres like 2 on each block =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

11 days at oahu??

its a great place, but with that kind of time i would also consider checking out maui
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #11

Its okay...for food...you have mcdonalds...selling 1$ mc chickens and bigmacs

freaken dollar menu! =D
Old 07-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrh View Post
check out the ABC stores
theres like 2 on each block =D
ABC is like a 711 that sells everything... theres an ABC store at like every freaking corner...

oh and if ur into JDM chicks... try not to walk arnd with a boner... it's like literally filled with JDM chicks everywhere... like...the beach where they're wearing just bikinis... seriously... JDM heaven!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
degenerate extraordinaire

definately waikiki beach you'll walk around and see a lot of jdm girls ...

and you'll also see japanese girls walk around in pairs in different uniforms
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #14
SiRVs up, dude

Take a drive from waikiki to the dole plantation and from there to turtle bay beach resort (same place where "forgetting sarah marshall" was filmed) the driving view is absolutely spectacular. I've never seen anywhere else like it in my life
Old 07-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #15

Oh yeah just remembered about the pineapples.....BEST pineapples you'll EVER eat...
no chemicals or anything...so pure...so juicy...you'll never want to eat pineapples back home from the supermakret ever again ...

your mcdicks meal comes with pineapples too haah $$
Old 07-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #16
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

lots of people say the polynesian cultural centre is a must-go if you go to hawaii. Lots of people like it, personally i found it boring

Last edited by strike66; 07-19-2008 at 01:02 PM.
strike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike66 View Post
lots of people say the polynesian cultural centre is a must-go if you go to hawaii. Personally i found it boring.
actually that center is not bad... it a good place to watse some time there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #18
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike66 View Post
lots of people say the polynesian cultural centre is a must-go if you go to hawaii. Lots of people like it, personally i found it boring
x2.. definite waste of time unless you want to sit around and watch cultural shows
Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #19

lots of ideas, thanks for the suggestions.

gotta do some quick research
Old 07-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #20
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PPLE View Post
Go take a hike up to diamondhead...the view of the island from the top is amazing...

If you're going to hike up Diamond Head, I'd suggest you do it early in the morning, otherwise you're gonna roast in the sun. Here's a preview of what you'll get to see up top

Hanauma Bay is nice, but like everyone else is saying, get there early because it fills up fast. If you want to get there super early, (i.e. 7am I think is when they open?) the rental shop at the base isn't open till 8. (in case you want to rent there). You can also pick up snorkelling gear at the surf rental shops on Waikiki too. (it's a little bit cheaper than at Hanauma Bay)

Last edited by syee; 07-21-2008 at 12:12 PM.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #21
無敵

Hmm... just came back from Hawaii last week actually. Hanauma Bay wasn't as good as a few years ago. There's few fish unless you go further out. Hmm.. Grab the brochures in your hotel there's tons of awesome deals and activities in them. Go on a tour of the island.
muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #22
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Any update on this thread?

I and family just bought a last minute deal $231(including taxes) for August 25-Sept1 last night.

-Any advices on saving money aside from buying our own bottle water, bus tickets, car rentals, etcetera?
-Just wondering if where is a good restaurant to eat at OAHU? The restaurant that I am looking will show us the real tastes of Hawaii.
-Aside from Honolulu is there any other good town or city to stay at Oahu? We dont really intend to stay in HNL since it is a city. We prefer to enjoy the nature and the beach.
-Any more ideas would be really great.
-Where is a good place to stay? We prefer a 2 bedroom suite-condo style rather than a hotel.

Thanks

Thank you
AppleSugary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #23
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

yea i went to kihei on maui, lovely place!
ocyrus411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

These are the things that I have written in our itenerary:

Things to do/see - Location from Oahu island

*Pearl Harbour- Southwest
*Dole Plantation- Midcentre
*Parasail-Downtown
http://www.xtremeparasail.com
*Hanauma Bay - South East

So what else I can do in the island of Oahu aside from surfing? Does anyone recommend any nice quiet beach? When I mean quiet, I am talking about few, small waves although this might be impossible.

What is there to do in the downtown? Any good shopping mall or outlets?

Last edited by AppleSugary; 08-20-2008 at 11:39 PM.
AppleSugary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #25

when we went up to dole plantation we started late in the day. so if you're there earlier after you leave just start driving towards the north shore, basically continue through dole plantation. all of it is nice beaches that were way calmer then waikiki. basically just drive until you find a beach you like. wave size is just probably gonna depend on the day/weather. we saw a few inn type places on the north shore but i have no idea where to direct you.

giovannis' shrimp truck is just past dole. i went to another one because gio was closed and it was great. typical asian run business. there's a few of them out there so it's easy to find and hits the spot if you've been out and about all day.

there's an outlet mall with a saks 5th ave & barney. just ask anyone, it's west from waikiki, maybe 20mins away. ala moana centre is your standard mall but it's pretty big and open air close to waikiki. has lots of nice stuff, nieman marcus etc. the main strip has all your standard downtown stores. couch, diesel, a/r, gucci etc etc. there's a nordstrom rack and other stuff, near the docks and ward centre/movie theaters.

dunno where the water thing came from. abc and every other convience store had 1.5Ls' of water for $0.99. rented a car at alamo for a day. was $40 total, not bad. some dude we met had rented an escalade for a week for $200.

the aquarium was pretty cool, just near the end of waikiki beach if you like that sorta thing. i do. Oceanarium restaurant at pacific beach hotel on waikiki has a 3 story aquarium in the restaurant. i thought this was nice, like 5 massive manta rays and all sorts of finding nemo action. i have no idea what the food is like. we went in when the upstairs was closed after lunch and just took pictures and clowned around. the lower restaurant is always open i think.

diamond head park is really nice. the hike is EASY but it's hot as hell. the view is really really worth it. 360 degree view of everything. recommend going early so it isn't super hot, proper shoes, water, camera/videocamera.

hanauma bay was breathtaking. we went on a sunday so maybe that's why it wasn't busy. snorkeling was so much fun. but i got super paranoid when i was directly over rock/coral. i shouldn't have read the "dangerous creatures of H-bay" sign last.

if you guys are really into nature there seemed to be a ton of nature based type tours that were going off everywhere. our hotel had an expedia person there during office hours so they can direct you to stuff too. there was a tour guide at the top of diamond head asking if anyone wanted nature tours. stuff about rainforest and all sorts of aminals.

some of the wedding party went to a chartered fishing boat from 4pm -9pm that ends with a bbq on the boat. they said it was pretty good. maybe a luau, but we never went. cirque hawaii was cool for $50. i had never been, but apparently don't expect vegas level shows.

have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. it was $40 for a taxi from the hotel. taxing is pretty crappy compared to the bus service, but we got drunk and lazy. when we did use the bus for h-bay, shopping it was pretty decent.

feel free to ask any other stuff. i'll fill in what i can.

Last edited by Hot Karl; 08-21-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Hot Karl is offline   Reply With Quote