REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 09-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #14401
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3klipze View Post
^ any link to some information on it? It sounds interesting, but the last time I observed some "coding competition", most of the guys there stomp on my ass on coding skills.
Here's one thing I learned about doing competition like these. Don't question your own abilities, just do it. Yes, it is almost guaranteed that some is better than you at it. But that doesn't mean you won't have a chance, and also winning isn't everything. It gives you good practice to solve coding challenges on the spot under time pressure without your grades being at stake.

I went, and the challenges are like what you would see at an interview at the big firms.
Advertisement
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #14402
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^ Cool! thanks for the info. If I have the time to go to some, I would definitely not turn back.

I've went to many meetups before and those are also great for any programmer looking to gain some knowledge and network. They're truly something you need to attend to get some connections and possibly an interview!

Ps: Not :foreveralone: in MACM anymore aww yes
Old 09-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #14403
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Holy balls it's cold up here tonight
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #14404
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Anybody taken Econ 103 with Barkin?...
She sucks so much and I've learned everything from the textbook cause she sucks at teaching...but I have a feeling her MT and Final will be bitch made and she'll make questions really ambiguous.

Does anybody have past exams to help me study, or even any tips lol would surely appreciate it.
SladeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #14405
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Anybody here transferred into SFU from another institution? I recently just got accepted. I'm just wondering how the transcript works. Will it show my letter grades or GPA from the previous institution? or is all that information not included in the SFU transcript?

Thanks.
Chi_Na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #14406
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Your transcript will show your letter grades from your previous institution, but your GPA will be 0 on your first semester at SFU. From there your GPA will be based on courses you take at SFU.

For example, if your GPA was 3.6 at your old school, your GPA at SFU will be 0 and will build like any other student's first semester at SFU.

Good luck!
areyounoob is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #14407
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SladeWilson View Post
Anybody taken Econ 103 with Barkin?...
She sucks so much and I've learned everything from the textbook cause she sucks at teaching...but I have a feeling her MT and Final will be bitch made and she'll make questions really ambiguous.

Does anybody have past exams to help me study, or even any tips lol would surely appreciate it.
I had Barkin in the summer. Her exams are extremely easy. Questions come straight from her class notes. Didn't touch my textbook once all semester and got an A.
Shayan4440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #14408
Prove them wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyounoob View Post
Your transcript will show your letter grades from your previous institution, but your GPA will be 0 on your first semester at SFU. From there your GPA will be based on courses you take at SFU.

For example, if your GPA was 3.6 at your old school, your GPA at SFU will be 0 and will build like any other student's first semester at SFU.

Good luck!
So to add on to this, that means if I withdrew from a class at Langara and received a W, that W still shows up in my transcript even after I've gotten into SFU right?
AuStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #14409

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuStar View Post
So to add on to this, that means if I withdrew from a class at Langara and received a W, that W still shows up in my transcript even after I've gotten into SFU right?
Yep.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:39 AM   #14410
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Yo I'm looking for a new gym. Not a student at SFU but I live close to Burnaby campus

I'm semi-serious into powerlifting, is there a powerlifting club there? When is it usually crowded? Is it one of those gyms where people sneer at you if you deadlift heavily (and make some noise as a side effect) or give you props? If anyone is a powerlifter/weightlifter that lifts there, how good are the bars and benches?
Ash Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #14411
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thats good to hear lol..guessing you understood what she teaches though, cause I can't

I'll definitely look at the notes but they're basically the same thing as textbook, but if it helps why not. Thanks for info i appreciate it.
SladeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #14412
Prove them wrong

So what are the downfalls of having W's on your transcript?

Cause I am really debating whether to drop this math course i'm in, I was warned not to take this certain prof but she was the only choice I had. I did horribly on the midterm and from my previous experience, once my GPA is dropped, it takes forever to raise it back up.

This math course is one of my 5 required classes to transfer into kinesiology which my GPA will solely be based off of.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #14413
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^I say tough it out and walk out trying your best. IF it really drops your GPA, consider taking it again another semester to get a better mark to replace it. If you walk out with a C- and get better grades in your future classes, that'll pretty much even it out. In the end, you're losing tuition money by just giving up. just my 2cent.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #14414
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:

Cause I am really debating whether to drop this math course i'm in, I was warned not to take this certain prof but she was the only choice I had. I did horribly on the midterm and from my previous experience, once my GPA is dropped, it takes forever to raise it back up.

This math course is one of my 5 required classes to transfer into kinesiology which my GPA will solely be based off of.
Is it a Calculus course? I would say it's still early in the semester, still have the chance to do well in the course.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #14415
I am Hook'd on RS

Last edited by cheeky_scrub; 10-02-2014 at 01:55 PM.
cheeky_scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #14416
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayan4440 View Post
I had Barkin in the summer. Her exams are extremely easy. Questions come straight from her class notes. Didn't touch my textbook once all semester and got an A.
Never buy textbooks for ECON lul
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #14417
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:

Which math course is this? 154 or 155?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #14418
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Eater View Post
Yo I'm looking for a new gym. Not a student at SFU but I live close to Burnaby campus

I'm semi-serious into powerlifting, is there a powerlifting club there? When is it usually crowded? Is it one of those gyms where people sneer at you if you deadlift heavily (and make some noise as a side effect) or give you props? If anyone is a powerlifter/weightlifter that lifts there, how good are the bars and benches?

SFU doesn't want to be considered a powerlifting gym but there are those that powerlift. I believe there used to be one but not anymore.
It's a university, there's gonna be judgement either way. When doing deadlifts, don't drop it at the top of the lift, just let it down in a controlled manner.
The bars and benches aren't bad. The real problem is finding a bar that isn't used lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_scrub View Post
Yes, the SFU fitness centre is a popular haunt for weightlifters and many BCWA/BCPA members use that gym. They even have community chalk. The bars and benches are in good condition. And no one gives a shit if you deadlift heavy--just don't drop your goddamn weights.

The downside is that their hours are short and it's mostly jam packed (from 8am-7pm) since the students get free access with their tuition. Go early or late.
As far as I know, chalk isn't provided by those who work there. Lifters donate chalk for people to use.

Quote:

Wooo Kinesiology master race. You could always try the other set...http://www.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/bp...20approval.pdf
Cr33pUh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #14419
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Lol, saw RacingMetro directing traffic this morning. I can imagine all the shit that's gonna go down at the new roundabout.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #14420
Prove them wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Which math course is this? 154 or 155?
154 with natalia kouzniak...
Old 10-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #14421

Cmpt 307..
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #14422
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I usually gym during the morning when I'm on my 2h breaks, but the other day i dropped by around 2pmish and wow finding a bar was impossible
SofaKingFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #14423
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
154 with natalia kouzniak...
Are you Surrey campus?

If you're in Burnaby and need some help, I have a few breaks where I can explain some concepts if you don't understand it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #14424
Prove them wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Are you Surrey campus?

If you're in Burnaby and need some help, I have a few breaks where I can explain some concepts if you don't understand it.
Thanks, but i'm entirely at the surrey campus this semester. I understand most things, it's just her exams are completely full of tricks, found out my shitty 61% was above class average on the midterm.

Too bad she says she doesn't mark on a bell curve.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #14425
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSupa View Post
Lol, saw RacingMetro directing traffic this morning. I can imagine all the shit that's gonna go down at the new roundabout.
I was there for all of 10 minutes and there were 3 near miss accidents. There were at least 5 more over the hour and a half after that.

People don't realize you can drive THROUGH the roundabout and up gaglardi, or up the back side of campus. Even waiving my arms doesn't get their attention
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: