REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #726
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

love that card!
Advertisement
jimbo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #727
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

w00t just received my nexus this morning.
wonton1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #728
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Might be a bit offtopic but does anyone recommend a forward shipping service?
tmc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #729
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Anyone heading down to PR tomorrow/weekend? I have a couple things to pick up and could totally use a favour
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #730

Does anybody have any expierence getting a package shipped from europe to point roberts? I'm looking to get something from europe ( no its not drugs ) shipped to pr as its double to ship to canada for some reason. Will the us charge me any tax and duty when the package arrives at pr? Its only around $175
need2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #731
RS.net Licensed Sponsor Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2speed View Post
Does anybody have any expierence getting a package shipped from europe to point roberts? I'm looking to get something from europe ( no its not drugs ) shipped to pr as its double to ship to canada for some reason. Will the us charge me any tax and duty when the package arrives at pr? Its only around $175
yup they will charge you (both usa and canada side) but what they charge varies on what the item is, where it is made, etc.
Autorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #732
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Depends on the package if they will charge duty. Technically they can. But for $175, they probably will not. Then again, it was just a pair of shoes for me.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #733
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:
I'm just curious how much the shipping is to Canada vs the US?

I've had this talk with my buddies who ship everything to Point Roberts no matter what to save $10-20 on shipping...

I used to do the same, but I now have a threshold as it makes the most sense. My threshold to send something to Point Roberts is somewhere around $25. If shipping is $25 or less to ship to my Canadian address, i'll just ship it to my Canadian address.

I live in Knight and 41st
- 30-45 min one way (~70km round trip)
- gas
- $3 pick up fee
- time waiting at the border (I even have Nexus)

I just don't think it's worth it. Do you guys have a threshold ?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #734
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Go on a empty tank and save yourself $20-30 in gas at the same time to make it worth it? Most people will still go down because Amazon.com
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #735
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
hardly saving 20/30$ in gas now

its like 1.2X USD/litre now
couple months ago it was like 1.0X or low 1.1X

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #736

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

I've had this talk with my buddies who ship everything to Point Roberts no matter what to save $10-20 on shipping...

I used to do the same, but I now have a threshold as it makes the most sense. My threshold to send something to Point Roberts is somewhere around $25. If shipping is $25 or less to ship to my Canadian address, i'll just ship it to my Canadian address.

- gas
- $3 pick up fee

It depends. Honestly, NEXUS removes any inconvenience unless you're going down during a long weekend. I've never waited more than 15 mins in a NEXUS lineup, even during the longer Easter weekend. There isn't much of a savings in gas nowadays (unless you fill up at Costco in Bellingham), but if you still need gas it's cheaper there. And in my personal cases, I always make a trip out of picking up parcels. Usually Trader Joes or Bellingham/Blaine for brunch/lunch makes it worthwhile.

Shipping cross-border from the US into Canada will almost always cost you more than just the shipping charge from the retailer. You'd then need to factor in taxes and duties (from the government) and the dreaded "brokerage fee" from the shipping company of choice. That charge alone can be outrageous depending on how they determine the fees. On a $200 inline hockey order from HockeyMonkey, UPS charged me $90 in brokerage fees. Never again did I make that mistake.

So long story short, it's almost always cheaper to ship and pick up in the US, assuming you were getting a really good deal on the item in the first place. My personal cut-off is 25% off from local prices, all-in. Anything less than that, and I just buy locally.

The only times it might be cheaper is if your retailer ships via USPS and marks it as a gift, or if the retailer handles duties, taxes, and fees in the "all-in" price when you check out. I know BHPhoto does this, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #737
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:

- gas
- $3 pick up fee

It's not just the $25 shipping. for a $150 item, tax is $18, and brokerage is $20. Your $150 item is now over $200.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #738

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
It's not just the $25 shipping. for a $150 item, tax is $18, and brokerage is $20. Your $150 item is now over $200.
90% of the time, you just get waived off - at least from my experience. All the times I have been charged taxes was for items that I purchased that was greater than $300.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #739
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I usually factor in the price of US shipping vs CDN shipping and the cost of time/gas, etc. Having Nexus definately makes it less of a hassle to go pick up from the states, but I usually don't bother if the savings isn't >$20. That said, I usually order several things at once so I can make 1 trip. The savings on shipping on several items usually makes it worth shipping to the US.

When I buy car parts, shipping is usually free within the US. The parts can be heavy, ie: brake rotors, exhaust, intercooler, so shipping to Canada is $$$.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #740
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
90% of the time, you just get waived off - at least from my experience. All the times I have been charged taxes was for items that I purchased that was greater than $300.
This was meant for packages delivered to Canada. I'm basically saying you'll save $50 by having it delivered to PR as opposed to Canada.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #741

Quote:

- gas
- $3 pick up fee

Its a sale for us customers so all together it would be $75 saved if I shipped to pr compared to canada. How would the us customs collect the tax and duty? I'm not a us citizen unless they charge the shipping depot and I pay when I pick up the package.
need2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #742
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
I've never had brokerage fee's charged to my orders before. The only company I heard that charged these fee's were DHL, but I guess I should add UPS to the list.

I think all my stuff from the states is USPS which I think is the best service and most economical.

But, in the above examples, I guess it's worth the shipping for big orders and .COM orders that won't ship to Canada.

I just know people who buy one or two items that could ship it to Canada for like $15 more and they would still ship to PR.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #743
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
I've never had brokerage fee's charged to my orders before. The only company I heard that charged these fee's were DHL, but I guess I should add UPS to the list.

I think all my stuff from the states is USPS which I think is the best service and most economical.

But, in the above examples, I guess it's worth the shipping for big orders and .COM orders that won't ship to Canada.

I just know people who buy one or two items that could ship it to Canada for like $15 more and they would still ship to PR.
Whenever customs charges tax/duty - someone needs to prepay it, unless you contact them to clear it yourself. A brokerage company can pay for it - and if you have your own, you can pay lower fees - but generally, UPS/Fedex/Canada Post/Purolator, will all have their internal brokerage company that will clear customs for you and prepay your tax/duty.

They go anywhere from like $7.5 (I think Canada Post has gone up now though), to $25. You'll see this tacked onto your tax/duty form.

The brokerage fee is also generally flat rate - so even if the tax that you pay on the item is only $10, they could still charge you $15 brokerage on it.

Some sites in the states now are precharging duty/tax. If you go onto Ebay and find american sellers that ship to canada, or Amazon.com, and go to the final page for the payment - you'll see that they'll list all the tax/duty - but usually you'll still pay a fee on top of that.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #744

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:

It's all relative. Those people you speak of are akin to the people who drive 20 mins to save 5c/L for gas. Like I said, I need to see substantial savings on top of local pricing for me to think about picking up in the US, and that's taking into account a NEXUS pass. For example, I recently ordered clothes from a company who also has Canadian stores (AE if you're interested). It was much easier (and there were more items, sizes, and different clearance options) to shop online and get it done on the US site. Shipping and duty ended up being 8 bucks on a $120 order. I saved about $30 from the actual order, so net was ~$20. I'm not driving down to Blaine to save $8 so I had it shipped up.

Whether you're shipping something small or large, shipping down to the US is almost always cheaper in terms of monetary value. Factor in your time, effort, consumables, etc, and it's really up to you whether you feel like it's worth it to drive down and pick your stuff up.

Not everyone ships USPS, so while you've had good luck shipping most things from the US without getting dinged with brokerage fees, I along with a number of people I know have had the opposite experience.

Last edited by m3thods; 05-29-2014 at 03:43 PM.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #745
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I usually bundle my shipments. I may save only $10-20 on one order, but on other orders I may save $50+. The place I use in PR holds packages for 1 month so its much easier to pick up a few things at once. I find that under $350 they will almost always just wave you through without paying GST/PST, so that's a savings of another $40. Then I go on an empty tank, couple jerry cans, and end up saving another $30-40 on gas even factoring gas to drive to PR and back. I can't remember the last time I bought Canadian gas...

So the way I do it its a pretty substantial savings for an hour and a half, 2 hours if there is a line up at the border. Just requires a bit of planning and coordination ahead of time, but hardly an inconvenience.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #746
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I usually bundle my shipments. I may save only $10-20 on one order, but on other orders I may save $50+. The place I use in PR holds packages for 1 month so its much easier to pick up a few things at once. I find that under $350 they will almost always just wave you through without paying GST/PST, so that's a savings of another $40. Then I go on an empty tank, couple jerry cans, and end up saving another $30-40 on gas even factoring gas to drive to PR and back. I can't remember the last time I bought Canadian gas...

So the way I do it its a pretty substantial savings for an hour and a half, 2 hours if there is a line up at the border. Just requires a bit of planning and coordination ahead of time, but hardly an inconvenience.
how many litres do you bring back typically? 40?
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #747
UFO

Yeah 2 to 3 cans so 40 to 60L. PR gas is only about 20c a litre cheaper. In Bellingham it's usually about 40c a litre cheaper but we only do that trip if we need to do a big grocery run too
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #748
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
best place to order an oversized item to PR?

I only have an account at TLC never used any of the other services, can anyone vouch for one?
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #749
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post

I only have an account at TLC never used any of the other services, can anyone vouch for one?
TSB shipping.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post

+1 for TSB as well. I shipped a bed liner for a truck there and had no issues.