REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #926
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I have to say,there's a lot of complaining going on about things when in reality, only a few years ago, the only option available was at Hagen's, and everything was much worse then it is now. I think a lot of people have gotten their luxury confused with their necessities.

Considering the (probably) enormous amount of people in the lower mainland that ship alllll their packages to just a handful of businesses, of course it's going to be a "gong show". I'll gladly be slightly more inconvenienced than before to still have the service available.

24/7 also hasn't let me down, and I'm probably about $50 in. I stopped going to the letter carrier (way before they went under) when I went and saw a big truckload of packages outside in the rain.

I'll be receiving a package at 24/7 in a few days so I can update with the experience.
There were always other options asides from Hagen's... they were just the most well known one.

There are at least ten in Blaine right now just from a quick search on Google on the first two pages: https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ving%20parcels

I think my beef is legitimate though. The whole premise of only getting 7 days to pick up packages is dependent on the customer being able to pick it up 24/7... but the fact we had two packages sit on the shelf two weeks ago that needed to be picked up during staffed hours was a deal breaker. Instead of being able to wait until the border lineups died down later in the afternoon, we had no choice but to rush there before it closed at 3pm on Saturday.
Advertisement
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #927
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until their expansion is complete.

In any case, you're right - at least there are now numerous alternatives.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #928
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I have to say,there's a lot of complaining going on about things when in reality, only a few years ago, the only option available was at Hagen's, and everything was much worse then it is now.
Actually, there were quite a few: Mailbox International, Security Mail Services, Blaine Enterprises, and Blaine Mailboxes Plus are all over 10 (maybe 15?) years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
There were always other options asides from Hagen's... they were just the most well known one.

There are at least ten in Blaine right now just from a quick search on Google on the first two pages: https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ving%20parcels
There are over a dozen the last time I checked. 3 of them run directly out of someone's house, and a whole handful of them (including us) have popped up in the past 5 years.
jamie5d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #929
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
I think my beef is legitimate though. The whole premise of only getting 7 days to pick up packages is dependent on the customer being able to pick it up 24/7... but the fact we had two packages sit on the shelf two weeks ago that needed to be picked up during staffed hours was a deal breaker. Instead of being able to wait until the border lineups died down later in the afternoon, we had no choice but to rush there before it closed at 3pm on Saturday.
Was this really that big of an issue for you to say you have "beef"? Did you exhaust all of your options? Have you tried contacting them about your parcels?

I've had nothing but great experiences with them, and I've even been accommodated by their staff many times for my oversized parcels for afterhours pickup. They pop a key into a locker which opens up a separate closet. The best part about this is that they don't start the countdown until it's in the closet.
For parcels that are in queue, I've even contacted them ahead of time to see if they could pop my parcel(s) into a locker for pickup in the same night, with success.
I know you've got a bad taste in your mouth from what you've experienced, but you really do need to exhaust all your options before you can even state that they're "going downhill".
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #930
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Message from 24/7 parcel themselves, received today:

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for your message. Yes, our Blaine store renovation is complete. We have added about 500 more lockers so far, and will be adding another 600 in the coming weeks.

Yes, the new lockers have indeed alleviated the parcel placement issue. Almost all parcels are placed directly in the lockers on the same day they are delivered. However, there is still about a dozen big parcels daily that just won't fit in the locker, so they are placed on the shelf. In those cases, the customers can request the use of the Storage Room for after-hours pickup.

I hope the above addresses your questions.

Best regards,

24/7 PARCEL
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #931
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESHvibe View Post
Was this really that big of an issue for you to say you have "beef"? Did you exhaust all of your options? Have you tried contacting them about your parcels?
Yes, it was that big of an issue. It was a significant inconvenience having to get there before they closed at 3pm. Could I have done more to force the issue? Yeah, I suppose so... but I wouldn't expect to need to do so. You did see the text message I posted earlier right? It did not say anything about the packages being a queue. It simply said it's on the shelf, and to pick it up within seven days.

Quote:
I know you've got a bad taste in your mouth from what you've experienced, but you really do need to exhaust all your options before you can even state that they're "going downhill".
Do I? I have to go the extra mile to make sure I get the service that they are supposed to provide before I have the right to complain? I disagree.

The fact of the matter is if they can't accommodate the package in the locker, then they HAVE to give more than the standard seven days to pick it up during staffed hours. That is the least they can do.

Maybe it was a one-off negative experience. My wife had another two packages arrive there last week, and they got put into lockers properly. I guess time will tell.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #932
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
I think it USED to be that way, but not anymore. I still have one of their old text messages, and it says:

"Your parcel has arrived at 24/7 PARCEL in Blaine. It's placed in a queue, waiting for a vacant locker. 7 day grace period won't start until in a locker"

This is what their more recent text messages say:

"Your parcel has arrived at 24/7 PARCEL in Blaine. It's placed on shelf. Pls pick up during staffed hours within 7 days to avoid storage fee"

Neither of these packages were large. One was the size of a shoe box.

24/7 Parcel has gone downhill fast.
I've spoke to the staff about that text. They said you can call them and tell them exactly which day you will be there, and usually they are pretty lenient and can accommodate that for you.
The time after I talked to them, I've received the first text again. I think it just depends on how many packages they have at the moment.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #933
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Which shipping location do you guys use in Blaine?

I recently started working in White Rock, so picking up packages is going to be a lot more convenient in Blaine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #934
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Which shipping location do you guys use in Blaine?

I recently started working in White Rock, so picking up packages is going to be a lot more convenient in Blaine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
On this page alone there is reference to arguably 2 of the most popular options currently:

24/7 Parcel
5d Packages
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #935
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
On this page alone there is reference to arguably 2 of the most popular options currently:

24/7 Parcel
5d Packages
Basically, if you have intentions of going to pick it up between 9pm and 10am, then use 24/7 Parcel... otherwise 5d Packages makes more sense in every other aspect.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #936
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Just picked up a package from 5D.... in and out in less then 60 seconds. This is my new place to ship to! Line up next door for the ice cream was longer
Old 11-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #937
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Picked up a few packages from In Out Parcel over the weekend and service was great! Definitely nicer looking facility compared to TLC. That place was such a dump compared to In Out
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #938
Banned (ABWS)

The best way to do this is get a mailbox in point roberts. I have one in blaine and it works great. The yearly cost is $14. You save so much in shipping when buying from the states.
VanCellClinic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #939
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Has anyone here tried using a "Goods to Follow" when declaring when crossing the border?

Specifically - if I buy something while I'm in the US (for example a large painting, or a TV that's too large to check or something similar) and have it shipped, is it required to be shipped into Canada or can I bring it over personally when I go back into the US and back to Canada? CBSA's site is a little ambiguous so I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has done it before. Here's the specific quote from their page:

7 days or more
Up to CAN$800 – May include alcohol and tobacco products, within the prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. For the seven-day exemption, goods may be in your possession at time of entry to Canada but are also permitted to follow entry to Canada (such as via courier, mail or delivery agency), except alcohol and tobacco products, which must be in your possession. All the goods will qualify for duty- and tax-free entry if they are declared at the initial return to Canada.

It makes mention of following entry via mail, courier or delivery agency and I'm guessing it has to be mailed over if you follow it to the letter, but could I (myself) be the courier or delivery agency? (much like you clearing an item through customs yourself) I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get an answer as well but figured if someone has the quick answer, it would save me a few hours of sitting on hold. (and might be useful info for others in the future)
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #940
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

quick question: so i'm selling some car parts via online car forums, and the buyer is located in the states so i'm thinking of driving to PR / hagen's etc. to ship the part(s).
Do I just drive in the regular lane or commercial lane? Also I'm assuming I will have to declare the value of the car part I'm shipping.. is there a max amount I can declare without having to pay extra to bring it over?
(")_(")
wobuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #941
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
just read this on In Out Parcel

Quote:
Free Tires and Wheels Receiving
Hands down, our unique Automated Locker System is pretty awesome. We want to go beyond that and offer something no other mail receiving company ever offered… until now.

In Out Parcel is the only mail receiving company to revolutionize tire and wheel shipments–they are FREE*!

Let’s face it, you’re most likely going to buy tires but you’ll want to get it in the US because it is significantly cheaper. But you’re turned off by the receiving fees per tire. Now we made it easier for you. In Out Parcel will receive your tires and/or wheels for FREE! We partnered with some of the largest tire distributors in the US and if you make your purchase through them, we will receive it on your behalf for FREE. It’s that easy!
more info @ https://inoutparcel.com/free-tires-wheels-receiving/
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #942
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,487 Times in 1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
just read this on In Out Parcel

more info @ https://inoutparcel.com/free-tires-wheels-receiving/
I only see one link to auto parts warehouse at the bottom. You have to buy through them for free tires/wheels receiving. I checked the price of the winter tires I just got last month. same price as what I paid for on tirerack including shipping per tire.
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #943
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobuffet View Post
quick question: so i'm selling some car parts via online car forums, and the buyer is located in the states so i'm thinking of driving to PR / hagen's etc. to ship the part(s).
Do I just drive in the regular lane or commercial lane? Also I'm assuming I will have to declare the value of the car part I'm shipping.. is there a max amount I can declare without having to pay extra to bring it over?
regular lane, declare you are selling used item. they'll ask you to go inside to pay a small fee.

depending on the guy inside, you may only get away with paying that small fee (I believe $8?), or they will make you pay fee and something else which I forgot. I believe is also depends on the value of the item.

HTH
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #944
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
regular lane, declare you are selling used item. they'll ask you to go inside to pay a small fee.

depending on the guy inside, you may only get away with paying that small fee (I believe $8?), or they will make you pay fee and something else which I forgot. I believe is also depends on the value of the item.

HTH
oops. i've never declared im bringing items across to sell/exchange/return.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #945
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
+1 for 5D packages. I've switched from Hagens to 5D.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #946
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:

HTH
thanks! i guess they raised the fee to $10.75 now. not much of a difference though.
(")_(")
wobuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #947
Not a mod

Slowguy where did you get this info from? Do you happen to have a link or anything?

There is $10.xx fee for commercial related travel; either pick up or drop off commercial goods. If its personal goods that you've sold and you clearly articulate that to the CBP Officer, you simply declare the type of goods and value. Im not sure if there are any related taxes. For Canada, any foreigner bringing in goods for a Canadian, with an individual piece value over $60, than the excess amount is taxed.

Spector use the regular lane and again make it clear its a personal item that you sold online.
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #948
Not a mod

Not sure if your fucking with the guy or blatantly making this stuff up now. I'm sure you won't find anything online to support what your saying since your making it up.

Quote:

HTH
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #949
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Yes, I am purposely trying to mislead him.... what benefits are there from that?

Twice now I've sold items and shipped it from Point Roberts and both times I've been asked to go inside to pay that fee.

I'm going to assume you've sold multiple items online, declared and shipped them across the border without issue? From what I've been told (even from a US border guard), any items you sell which generate revenue is deemed commercial.

I'll try discussing further with the border guard next time that what I'm selling isnt a commercial good. However, the problem is I can't seem to find a clear definition of what they deem as commercial.

Oh yeah, if you have Nexus, don't use it when you're bringing in the item as well.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #950
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I am purposely trying to mislead him.... what benefits are there from that?
Silly hipster. You get to be RS Troll of the Year, duh.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: