REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #26
Banned By Establishment

this is some useful info right here
Advertisement
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Tsb Shipping Plus

TSB is increasing their rates effective Feb 1, 2012.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Just made it to/from PR in record time. No lineup either entering or leaving, no lineup at TSB. $300 part, waived through at the border, no taxes no duty!

Anyone going to PR, I think 11am on Fridays are the best time. I've picked Fri at 11am a few times now, and other days of the week at 11am before - have only once hit a really long lineup and never had to pay.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
^ yea I agree, been with TSB since 2008 now, go at least 10x a year to pickup, and almost always go either on a Friday or Monday noon.... went on a weekend once, holy fcking lineup !
Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
^ yea I agree, been with TSB since 2008 now, go at least 10x a year to pickup, and almost always go either on a Friday or Monday noon.... went on a weekend once, holy fcking lineup !
I went at 8am last Sat and it was OK, yet have been before at noon on a Sat and just turned around cause the line was down the hill. This past Sat, 8am, no lineup in, long lineup at TSB although very fast cause there was lots of extra staff - yet 20 min lineup to get back to Canada. I grabbed Tims before crossing, so I just ate breakfast and waited.

If you have to go on a weekend, cross just before 8am and wait till they open.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #31
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Went to TLC Monday afternoon at about 4pm and it wasn't bad at all. Got waived through with over $400 worth of stuff. Yeehaw!
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #32

Got my Nexus pass. They don't even check my passport. Zero waits while others are in a 30+ car line.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Got my Nexus pass. They don't even check my passport. Zero waits while others are in a 30+ car line.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ya, but you gotta declare your stuff or risk losing your Nexus pass.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #34

I declare everything regardless of Nexus or not.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Been using Point to Point Parcel.

Cheaper, and literally seconds away from Point Roberts border (First right).
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #36
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
I declare everything regardless of Nexus or not.
Posted via RS Mobile
I mean you have to declare and mail in payment of taxes and duty if you use Nexus, while if I'm waived through I don't have to pay anything. For the short lineups at PR, Nexus ain't worth sacrificing saving taxes and duty.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #37
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I mean you have to declare and mail in payment of taxes and duty if you use Nexus, while if I'm waived through I don't have to pay anything. For the short lineups at PR, Nexus ain't worth sacrificing saving taxes and duty.
not true
So why are people in the regular lineup get leniency and Nexus users don't.

For Nexus user you are allowed to do a verbal declaration on the goods, and just like the regular lineup, it all depends on the officer on duty whether you get taxed or not.

I go to PR few times a month and I use my Nexus, and I never gotten taxed in the Nexus line.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
not true
So why are people in the regular lineup get leniency and Nexus users don't.

For Nexus user you are allowed to do a verbal declaration on the goods, and just like the regular lineup, it all depends on the officer on duty whether you get taxed or not.

I go to PR few times a month and I use my Nexus, and I never gotten taxed in the Nexus line.
Cool, good to know.

I thought the Nexus lane can be unmanned, then you have to put your declaration form in a slot and your CC will be charged later (what I meant by "mail it in"). Is the Nexus lane usually manned, or not?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #39
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Cool, good to know.

I thought the Nexus lane can be unmanned, then you have to put your declaration form in a slot and your CC will be charged later (what I meant by "mail it in"). Is the Nexus lane usually manned, or not?
The Nexus booth is always manned. However, you usually don't get the 20 questions - they just ask you where you're going and you're on your way.

I don't know about PR, but Peace Arch doesn't have the box to drop your TDC into anymore. You have to hand it to the person at the booth. However, I don't think anyone fills in the TDC anymore. There's absolutely no incentive to fill in the form at all.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
The Nexus booth is always manned. However, you usually don't get the 20 questions - they just ask you where you're going and you're on your way.

I don't know about PR, but Peace Arch doesn't have the box to drop your TDC into anymore. You have to hand it to the person at the booth. However, I don't think anyone fills in the TDC anymore. There's absolutely no incentive to fill in the form at all.
According to the guidelines, the Nexus card hold must have the TDC filled before seeing CBSA. It was my first time using the Nexus pass at Point Roberts, so I had my TDC filled out beforehand. It was a $250 used exhaust that I was trying to bring back.

This is the exact conversation betweem me and CBSA, with my paypal receipt, shipping info, and TDC ready in hand.

CBSA: "So?" [I have never had that before, usually it's where you live, why you went, what you bring back? Instead this time in Nexus, she just said "so?"]
Me: "I am purchased a $250 car part, a used exhaust."
CBSA: "Have a nice day."
Me: "You don't want to see my Nexus card or my passport? What do I do with the TDC? Sorry, it's my first time using Nexus."
CBSA: "That's fine, good bye."

I got through within 5-10 seconds. The Nexus card appears to be a "no-questions asked" card.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #41
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Yep, that's pretty much it. Actually the only reason I stopped filling out the TDC's was because I ran out of the cards in the booklet and they moved to the printing of the TDC. At that point I verbally declared because I'd forget to print the form.

I have pretty much the same experience as you. I pull up, tell them how much I spent with receipts in hand and they usually send me on my way. I have only ever been sent inside once - for a $350 item - believe it or not, a water cooler/dispenser of all things...
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #42
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
You are allowed to verbally declare your items now
Posted via RS Mobile
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #43
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
You are allowed to verbally declare your items now
Posted via RS Mobile
Yup, it even says so on the CBSA website now.

Speaking of which, I should go apply for a Nexus card soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #44

Actually I can't find the news article on the CBSA website where it says you are now allowed to verbally declare your items with your NEXUS pass
Quote:
Quote:
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #45
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Actually I can't find the news article on the CBSA website where it says you are now allowed to verbally declare your items with your NEXUS pass

"Declaring goods

If you are a Canadian or U.S. resident and you are importing goods for your own personal use, and you are within your personal exemption or entitlement, you may use the NEXUS lane and make an oral declaration to the U.S. CBP officer. If you are over your personal exemption or entitlement, you must use a regular traffic lane to report your goods"

Cross often? Make it simple, use NEXUS
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #46
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyGreenTea View Post
"Declaring goods

If you are a Canadian or U.S. resident and you are importing goods for your own personal use, and you are within your personal exemption or entitlement, you may use the NEXUS lane and make an oral declaration to the U.S. CBP officer. If you are over your personal exemption or entitlement, you must use a regular traffic lane to report your goods"

Cross often? Make it simple, use NEXUS
Wouldn't that mean you have to use the regular traffic lane all the time? especially at PR since in 10 mins you wouldn't have been in the US long enough to be entitled to bring anything back.

Obviously not, yet the wording is very weird.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Wouldn't that mean you have to use the regular traffic lane all the time? especially at PR since in 10 mins you wouldn't have been in the US long enough to be entitled to bring anything back.

Obviously not, yet the wording is very weird.
"Carriers of Nexus cards issued after September 2010 no longer require to present a Traveler Declaration Card and can inform the border officer orally about their declaration."

This is what I found on wikipedia.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #48
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

OT: I crossed in Blaine recently to pick up an item. Used the lane that was marked 'READY' because the lineup was the shortest there vs. the other regular lanes. I had no idea the US has a "Ready Card", basically its for people who have enhanced driver's licenses (incl enhanced BCDL) . So the border guard gave me a bit of a tough time for using the wrong lane. I told him I thought 'READY' meant the lane was ready for the next person through. What a stupid name.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #49
Professional Lurker

Bringing this thread back cause i dont want to start a new one

Are you suppose to declare the total purchase including the shipping cost or only the amount of the item?
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #50
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Just the amount of the item. IIRC, you don't even need to declare the state taxes charged on the item, but I may be wrong.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote