REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #901
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
24/7 Parcel is losing its appeal now though.

Even though their location in Blaine expanded, I think they still have too many packages coming in now to be accommodated in lockers. My wife got a couple items shipped there last week, and they had to sit on the shelf, which means you have to pick them up during staffed hours... which defeats the whole purpose of sending it there. This is true especially when you only get one week of storage before extra charges kick in, compared to two weeks that I've been used to in the past.

Do other non-automated places give one week or two now?
Advertisement
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #902
Need my Daily Fix of RS

The one week storage actually only counts once it's in a locker. It's mentioned in the email they send you once your packaged is received.
Arirang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #903
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arirang View Post
The one week storage actually only counts once it's in a locker. It's mentioned in the email they send you once your packaged is received.
I think it USED to be that way, but not anymore. I still have one of their old text messages, and it says:

"Your parcel has arrived at 24/7 PARCEL in Blaine. It's placed in a queue, waiting for a vacant locker. 7 day grace period won't start until in a locker"

This is what their more recent text messages say:

"Your parcel has arrived at 24/7 PARCEL in Blaine. It's placed on shelf. Pls pick up during staffed hours within 7 days to avoid storage fee"

Neither of these packages were large. One was the size of a shoe box.

24/7 Parcel has gone downhill fast.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #904
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
Maybe give them time until they're done expanding before saying they are going downhill...

Also, if I recall, once your package gets moved into a locker, your week restarts.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #905
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Check out 5d Packages in Blaine. Convenient location, all highway drive to Blaine, open later everyday, great service, includes 30 day package hold, great prices, you can pre pay online, they will accept your garbage/cardboard/packing/etc.

Last edited by skholla; 11-11-2014 at 07:12 AM.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #906
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Maybe give them time until they're done expanding before saying they are going downhill...

Also, if I recall, once your package gets moved into a locker, your week restarts.
I only said this because it looked like their expansion IS already done.

The expanded part of the facility looked like it was all finished. I concede that it may be possible they haven't started using it yet.

The wording on their website isn't promising though.

"* Based on locker availability. If parcel does not fit in the current available lockers, it will be placed on the shelf and will need to be picked up during staffed hours."

This used to be the disclaimer for oversized packages, but now it seems to apply to any package.

Basically, they're saying if they have no lockers available, you're SOL.

At the VERY least, if the item is going to be on the shelf, they have to give customers more than 7 days to pick it up.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #907
The RS Freebie guru

I signed up under you.

Looks decent. Cheaper and has longer hours.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #908
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
I signed up under you.

The young guy that works there is a nice dude. Always friendly and willing to have a good chat with you.

It's right after the roundabout so you can't miss it
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #909
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
The young guy that works there is a nice dude. Always friendly and willing to have a good chat with you.

It's right after the roundabout so you can't miss it
They just hired an older fellow, it was his first day on Friday, but seemed like he knew what to do when he took my number and got my packages promptly. Seems like they are getting busier.

Anyone know if Edaleen dairy next door sells softserve ice cream like their other location? I always go down on Sunday so they are closed and can't find out for myself.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #910
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL typeS View Post
Have to try this place out, I would go to 5D if im heading down to buy groceries also in Blaine, but Point Roberts is still closer going from Richmond.
I commute to Blaine from Richmond everyday, it's about ~5 minutes longer each way, but it is all highway to Blaine, whereas there's a bunch of lights before the Point Roberts crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
On a related note, went to 5D packages last weekend to ship something and was pleased with the service provided by the young guy at the counter. Think I saw his dad there too. Definitely helps that their shop was super easy to find.
Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I think that young guy owns 5D. I've been down there a few times to pick stuff up and he's always been super friendly and chatty. We talked for ~10 minutes the first time I was there haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
No referral links.
To anyone else reading this, you can register using the coupon code REVSCENE5 (also posted this a few pages back) to get $5 on your account when you register and pick up your first package in person.

Quote:
Welcome! If you have any questions, send us an email (support@5dpackages.com) or send me a PM (PM might take longer to respond).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamon View Post
They just hired an older fellow, it was his first day on Friday, but seemed like he knew what to do when he took my number and got my packages promptly. Seems like they are getting busier.

Anyone know if Edaleen dairy next door sells softserve ice cream like their other location? I always go down on Sunday so they are closed and can't find out for myself.
He's a quick learner! Yes, Edaleen does have soft serve ice cream. I highly recommend their non-soft serve ice cream though, they also rotate the flavours every week or so, so there's been some interesting ones (like black licorice). It's so awesome to be right next door to them, when business is slow I sometimes run over to grab a cone.

Last edited by jamie5d; 11-10-2014 at 02:15 PM.
jamie5d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #911
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Can attest to Jamie being great. I popped their tire receiving cherry

Great hours, inexpensive, and has helped me heaps both with receiving and shipping! And all around good guy to chat with too.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #912
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

jamie5d: Do you know when you'll be offering mailbox service? (I noticed on your website it said "not yet" - I read that as maybe in the future)
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #913
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Can attest to Jamie being great. I popped their tire receiving cherry .
Heh.

On the note of tires, we charge by bundle of tires, not per tire. If you order 4 tires, it will probably be shipped in 2 bundles of 2 (2 tracking numbers total) = $6 for all 4 tires. We charge per tracking number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
jamie5d: Do you know when you'll be offering mailbox service? (I noticed on your website it said "not yet" - I read that as maybe in the future)
Probably never, that question needs to be updated on our website. Not many people get letter mail these days, but we do accept letters for $1 a letter (any spam mail can be shredded and refunded)
jamie5d is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #914
The RS Freebie guru

jamie5d: A friend was wondering whether you guys have an area to leave flattened boxes?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #915
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
jamie5d: A friend was wondering whether you guys have an area to leave flattened boxes?
They do.

They have bins for paper, cardboard, and misc.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #916
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Anyone know somewhere in point roberts that sells cigars? Google didn't have much luck ...
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #917
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Specter View Post
Anyone know somewhere in point roberts that sells cigars? Google didn't have much luck ...
I don't think there are any specialty stores for it... so probably just the gas stations and maybe the International Market Place? Point Roberts is pretty damn small... would probably take you less than an hour to check every place.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #918
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Another thumbs up for Jamie at 5D packages. Was in and out in seconds, unlike my usual place down in Point Roberts. I kind of selfishly want it to be kept a good secret hah.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #919
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
I only said this because it looked like their expansion IS already done.

The expanded part of the facility looked like it was all finished. I concede that it may be possible they haven't started using it yet.

The wording on their website isn't promising though.

"* Based on locker availability. If parcel does not fit in the current available lockers, it will be placed on the shelf and will need to be picked up during staffed hours."

This used to be the disclaimer for oversized packages, but now it seems to apply to any package.

Basically, they're saying if they have no lockers available, you're SOL.

At the VERY least, if the item is going to be on the shelf, they have to give customers more than 7 days to pick it up.
As you mentioned it looks like they've changed their policies quite a bit. Before, if you didn't have a locker and needed to pick up your parcel after hours, you could request to have one if you gave them a pickup time window. Now they mention a "storage room":

Quote:
If your parcel is placed on the shelf, and you still need to pick it up after-hours, you can request to have your parcel(s) transferred to the storage room, and we will leave the storage room key in a locker for you. The fee for using the storage room is $3 regardless of the number of parcels. You can request to use the storage room via My Account at 247parcel.com.
I wonder if it's literally a room with a bunch of parcels in it. If that's the case, I can't see how that's safe since anyone can just take whatever parcels they want. I hope they clear up their website soon because there's just a bunch of ambiguity. I'll definitely sign up for a 5d account but unfortunately I do some pickups later at night/early morning so that won't work all the time .
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #920
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I wonder if it's literally a room with a bunch of parcels in it. If that's the case, I can't see how that's safe since anyone can just take whatever parcels they want. I hope they clear up their website soon because there's just a bunch of ambiguity. I'll definitely sign up for a 5d account but unfortunately I do some pickups later at night/early morning so that won't work all the time .
Before their expansion, I think they had a single storage room... and I recall that the policy at the time said you can reserve it IF it was available, meaning nobody else has reserved it.

Not sure if they added any more storage rooms since then, but I can't imagine they would have more than one person's packages in there at a time.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #921
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Tried to request a storage room about a month ago @ 24/7 for tires. They only allow 1 package per storage room(Dont think reno's were finished yet, so dont know if they have more than 1) But they said you could only use if it vacant. So no its not multiple peoples packages in 1 room. But if their rules change on the 7 days holding while not in a locker, i may be changing locations.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #922
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
24/7 shipping sounds like a gong show now. I'm so glad I didn't buy into the hype and pre-purchase all those credits.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #923
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
I'm only $20 in. But I hold out till the new year. Obviously with Xmas coming around all postal carriers will be going through quite the gong show as online shopping is booming. So ill give it a couple months before deciding if I want to change. Plus its only $20.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #924
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
24/7 has always been good for me, and I've used them about a dozen times in the past 3 months. Even when a locker wasn't available, I was always notified no more than 2 days later saying it was in a locker.

I'll use both and see which I prefer. Really, the only thing tying me to 24/7 is the fact that I can pick it up whenever I want. 5d alleviates that with very nice office hours, but I do go down early morning further south than Seattle so sometimes 10am isn't early enough for me.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #925
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
I have to say,there's a lot of complaining going on about things when in reality, only a few years ago, the only option available was at Hagen's, and everything was much worse then it is now. I think a lot of people have gotten their luxury confused with their necessities.

Considering the (probably) enormous amount of people in the lower mainland that ship alllll their packages to just a handful of businesses, of course it's going to be a "gong show". I'll gladly be slightly more inconvenienced than before to still have the service available.

24/7 also hasn't let me down, and I'm probably about $50 in. I stopped going to the letter carrier (way before they went under) when I went and saw a big truckload of packages outside in the rain.

I'll be receiving a package at 24/7 in a few days so I can update with the experience.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: